Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Aw, this thread makes me smile. I actually just had to put my greyhound down yesterday. He was just a few weeks shy of being thirteen, so he lived a long and good life.

This was North:

Best dog I ever had.

Pretty sure my next dog will be a greyhound as well, they're just too goofy and sweet. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
This is Wren, I just got her this morning.

She's still way too excited about having her own water and food bowls, the two stairs leading the backyard still freak her out half of the time, and as you can see, she hasn't figured out what her bed is for yet. :3:

She's a total sweetheart.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Must just be the perspective there, she's super tiny, like 56 pounds.

She's barely over a year old, never raced because she was too small, she just grew up with the brood and retired greyhounds.
She's been doing well, will follow me down a few stairs without a fuss, she's an odd mix of a greyhound and a typical puppy though, like she's afraid of her own shadow and hasn't really figured out her bed, but she'll get into things my last greyhound would have never noticed. Haven't left her alone for too long yet, so here's hoping she'll do alright.

Edit: She just now just now got on her bed to sleep for the first time! :3:

wyoming fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 5, 2015

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Any of you know how to deal with a dog that terrified of everything?
At first I wasn't too worried about it, because Wren is so new to everything, like she won't approach the large staircase downstairs, and won't jump into the backseat of a car, but it's become a problem since the other night. I don't know if she slipped on the rug or what, but she's now terrified to go through the kitchen to go outside, and I haven't been able to coax her to the door with treats or toys or anything, she just stares at me and pants, which is what she tends to to do when nervous, and then she'll just go in her bed and whine, and wag her tail if i ask her if she wants to go out, but she won't budge. I ended up having to pick her up and put her in the kitchen to show her it was alright, just so she'd finally eat and go outside to go to the bathroom, but I fear that might've stress her out more (though she was fine outside, running around and wagging her tail, just when it came time to go inside...), and I don't know what to do, she's far more stubborn than any other dog I've ever had.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Wren has a relaxed a bit and gotten more friendly. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Wren will randomly lick the hardwood floor around her bed, I always just assumed she was bored and looking for attention.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
That's really neat.

I've been trying to teach Wren how to catch treats, mostly it just smacks her on the snout, and then she runs away (after grabbing the treat).

Anyway, here she is enjoying the ungodly hot weather we've been having lately:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yesterday was Wren's birthday! :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:spooky: Spooky scary skeledog and evil black cat. :spooky:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kv_LTf0tZQ
Greyhounds are so fierce. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Super Belated Xmas pic!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My mom decided that Wren was "too skinny" and got her a sweater.

Wren was obviously thrilled about this.

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Current status:

Aw, well I'm glad your pup is okay. Hope he heals fast. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Wren was getting really stressed out about the fireworks on the 4th, so I ended up sitting next to her and petting her everytime she was visibly freaking out, she eventually fell asleep and I went into the other room. About 1:30 AM, after the fireworks finally ended, she comes running out of the bedroom super happy and wanting to play. It was really cute, like the fireworks had just been a bad dream :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Took Wren to a fenced dog park, she got to run with all the other dogs, and for the first time I saw her go top speed.

Shortly after though:

RIP Happy Pup. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:kimchi:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Today was Wrendog's birthday.

The best tradition. :kimchi:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ghostgirl118 posted:

She was the best dog I've ever had. We knew this was coming but drat it hurts.

I know this feeling, I was super bummed about having to put down North for the longest time, and then when I got Wren she was such a pain in the rear end and so different a greyhound, I was just... :sigh:

She quickly grew on me in her own quirky ways, and has since probably become closer to me than even North was. So time and new pups definitely help.
Still, losing a pet is always rough, and I'm sorry you had to put Tatiana down. <3

Speaking of my dog being a pain though, she was a bit overzealous chasing the small dogs around the dog park on her birthday, and ended up scraping a bit of her carpal pad off. So it's not too bad, but she acts like I'm the worst person ever whenever I have to clean it and change her bandage. Ah, to have dog.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So Wren was chasing the little dogs up and down the fence at the dog park when suddenly....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztALZsmSkpw

New best friend/evil twin? :3:

But they did have a good time running around with eachother.

Actually thinking of getting a second one of these goofy dogs now....

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yesterday we took Wren to meet some greyhounds up for adoption, some were surprising feisty, but we met one that Wren got along with well, and ended up taking her home...

This is Wren and Idunn (pronounced Eden, basically)

Poor thing is missing a third of tail and has cuts on her snout and leg, no idea what happened to her, they just dropped her off at the adoption place without any paperwork.Just over a year old.

She's an absolute sweetheart, a bit protective of whichever bed she's currently laying on, but seems okay sharing everything else with Wren.
Very inquisitive and super out going for a greyhound too. First time owning two dogs, so here's hoping it stays good and they become best buddies, because seeing them do things together is just the cutest. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DarkHorse posted:

Also hooray Idunn! I can't tell how gorgeous she is, you should post more pictures.

Can do!
This was the picture on the adoption website that first made me fall for her.

This was our first meeting with her, Wren on the left.

It was pretty cute though, after introducing Wren to all the dogs up for adoption, we put Wren in a fenced area off leash and went and got Idunn to see how they'd do there, Wren was soooo excited to see Idunn again, I've never seen her so happy to see another pup, that's when I was certain I found the right dog to adopt.

Before she completely figured out beds:

She soon got over any aggression of sharing a bed:

I'm thinking she was just wanting to cuddle, and not force Wren off the new bed, she's too goofy to be cunning from what I can tell.
Either way. :kimchi:

Wren has been super tolerant of her, and Idunn clearly adores the hell out of Wren, I was a bit worried this would be a disaster or Wren would resent the whole situation, but it's been good so far, and Idunn is getting a hang of things pretty fast.
Can't wait to get her adjusted enough that they're both ready for the dog park! :D

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Such graceful beasts.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Idunn and Wren have been getting along well.

Idunn loves to be near Wren

Wren doesn't seem to mind being near Idunn

<3 my goofy pups
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/793536526298644480
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/793540332705058817

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Slo-mo speed hounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJyaO2fmqQ

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

rhoga posted:

Between Noodle-to-be finding a home and a noodledog winning, it's a good time for greyhounds.
Hooray greyhounds!

Hooreyhounds

Daw, that cow one looks like my old North dog. :3:
Kids always have the best reactions to seeing greyhounds, but the funniest was still a little girl that shouted "That cow looks like a dog!" while I was waking him down the street.

In other hound news, Idunn is now fine going down the stairs by herself, but is afraid to go back up, while Wren won't go down the stairs unless I force her, but has zero problem going up on her own.
Almost have a normal dog between the two!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Didn't take any pictures, but yesterday was Idunn's 2nd birthday and the 2 year anniversary of me adopting Wren.
Many burgers were had. :toot:

Anyway, happy late xmas!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Weird body positions you say?

Wren had her feet on Idunn's face before this.

Comfy.

Neither Idunn nor Wren raced, but they're polar opposite weirdos.
Wren is timid, rarely whines, afraid of her own shadow, refuses to for walks or rides at night, also won't go down stairs.
Idunn is super hyper, a bully, barks and whines loudly, will go up and down stairs, acts tough but mostly a big baby.
Sometimes I get frustrated because Idunn pushes the smaller Wren around to get treats/attention/inside first.
But Wren has fought back to defend her toys/bones, and Idunn runs away with her tail between her legs, but she's dumb and never learns is the problem.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Both Idunn and Wren get obsessed with squirrels, they've yet to catch one yet, Wren did corner a rat under a trash can not long after I got her.
Wren will only run after other dogs, preferably smaller ones, Idunn will gladly outpace any other dog, or just take off running like a crazy dog all on her own.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My long dogs were replaced by llamas!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So Idunn had to get some stitches, and I'm having a hard time keeping a cone of shame on her.
Do any of you have advice or alternatives?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fuzz Feets posted:

He looked like one of the small dinosaurs from the original Jurassic Park movie

Haha aw. :kimchi:

I ended up going with this towel wrap I found on a greyhound website.
http://www.ngap.org/towel-collar-y540.html

Works well, and doesn't lead to such miserable looks:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
:burger::burger::burger:
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/900213427175649281

She was so excited she grabbed the top of the bun and ran off with it.
Even better was Idunn did the exact same thing with her burger. :allears:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/900497050378182656

Also don't think I ever shared this drawing I did of my mutts.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/872066979732967424

wyoming fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 24, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Tried to use a selfie stick to get close ups of my pups.

No sir, they did not like it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/925522117822517248

Happy Halloween from my three pups!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Abby is a good dog. Agree it’s tough watching them get old. It does have its benefits though! Even when they get really up there in years (had a 16 year old lurcher until last year) there are occasional days where they act just like a puppy all silly and full of energy for the day, and those days are among the most memorable you’ll ever have with them.

Yeah definitely, the last year or so of North's life, I would just take him for a walk around a nearby park without his leash on, I'd rarely seen him so happy. :unsmith:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Both Wren and Idunn went a bit white in the muzzle after about a year of bringing them home. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if a year with Idunn made Wren go even more grey :v:)
And they're really young, I guess it's just a thing that happens.

But here are my pups enjoying their Xmas ducks.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
:toot: :burger:
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/948382516691349510

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.