Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Birthday party for my girl Abby (you can see a bit of her face, just to the left of the hot dogs) and Sugar (her owner, who hosted, is in the center, and Sugar is the one next to her with the pink bandana). I'm the headless person to the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, she's doing just fine. She's six now, weighs about 72 pounds and it's going in the house anymore (I keep her in my/her bedroom when I'm at work).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got 15. I think there were 16 there total.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Congrats, that's a huge female, just like my Abby. What is her weight right now? I assume she is just off the track.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

Goons please post more pics to help me be patient! We know it will be worth it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Congratulations!

With regards to the crate, some greys love it and some hate it. If it doesn't stick there's nothing wrong with getting rid of it - that's what I did.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Also it was unclear to me, but I wouldn't crate at night. Greyhounds like to be right next to you when you sleep. Abby's bed is on the floor right next to mine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I use that exact same folding table (Target I assume) to keep Abby in my bedroom when I'm at work.

I told someone at work I had a greyhound and he said they were ugly dogs :smith:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had that issue with Abby initially. If she growled I would hold her muzzle and say "no." Also I have been able to use "drop it" with her after some practice to get her to release items.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

This can be a good way to get a dog that doesn't warn you before it bites the poo poo out of you, by the way.

I did that based on what some people in my group recommended. All I can say is it doesn't happen anymore and I've never been bitten.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a life less posted:

And this is why the internet is not always to be trusted. Sometimes it works. Sometimes, as RB said, the growling will naturally dissipate. Sometimes it will intensify the behaviour. Sometimes it creates a dog that will not growl before it bites.

There are safer ways to address the behaviour. Grabbing the muzzle only punishes the growl but does nothing to address the underlying emotion.

Is there a way to address it that always works? Every dog is different. If I had done it and it hadn't had a positive effect I would have tried something different.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a life less posted:

In my experience, trading up as outlined in "Mine!" slowly and in a structured environment is hugely successful and safe.

Can you give me some information (links, whatever) on why what I did was problematic? I'm just asking if there is some actual data beyond your own personal experience.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby has just been staring at me the last few days, despite me doing everything I can with different activities

*goes on long walk after work since it's finally warmer*
*gets home*

:stare:

*gives food and water*
*finishes*

*gives some pieces of fruit*

*throws toy*

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have one of those backseat covers too. Abby refuses to lay down in the car though, so I use a harness attached to the seat belt.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll have to check when I get home. It's some place based in Colorado, and I ordered it over the phone :corsair:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

I have this: http://usak9outfitters.com/CH.htm
It is pretty hard core.

That's the one I have, thanks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Question about my car harness (it's mentioned a few posts back). So I have a wagon, but due to the curvature I keep Abby in the backseat so I can see out of the back windows when driving. Right now I buckle one of the seatbelts, then attach the strap to it (that strap then hooks onto the harness). Unfortunately she always stands up since she likes to look out the window. I had to brake quite quickly last time we were in the car, and she was sort of flung forward. She wasn't hurt at all as the harness prevented her from falling behind the front seats, but I really need something with less leeway. What I do have is a few places where I could attach the strap behind the headrests of the backseats. Is that a better option? It wouldn't have any give if the car takes any sudden turns/brakes, unlike the seatbelt.

The metal clips are similar to the ones in this picture, one behind each of the three headrests.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 25, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Aren't those clips for child seats? Which would suggest they're robust for dogs too.

I assume so, though I'll check my owner's manual. I feel like my current setup would be fine if she laid down, but this is probably safer for standing up (she really won't be able to lay down anyway if I use one of those clips).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

Hey our dogs have the same dad!

haha what are the chances???

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Pretty high actually 'cuz he's fathered literally like 13000 pups. I have his son too.

Yes that was the joke :p

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

What's everybody feeding?

I'm probably going to go for one of the Merrick grain free formulas, although I haven't decided which protein. Husker ate Wellness CORE for a couple of years and I thought it was fine, but when I changed his food to try and keep his appetite up near the end I found that the Merrick reduced the frequency of the room-clearing farts. It was also a little bit cheaper. Of course each dog responds differently to foods, so we'll see.

TOTW Salmon flavor

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gninjagnome posted:

We've gone blue buffalo lamb and rice. Been pretty happy with the results.

I used that initially, but Abby has a grain issue. Or maybe it's just gluten, not sure.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is in the blue coat

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby's reaction to cats is slightly different. My neighbor let hers into the hallway for some reason. Of course Abby was on a leash, but she did some sort of 360 spin combined with whining and heavy drool.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah ours does too. I think the cat they use is the feline version of Chuck Norris.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

I wonder about that sometimes, especially when the kennel manager was describing how they put the cat on the dogs' backs and stuff to test them.

From what I know, our group just has a cat in the room and the dog on leash and they see if the dog ignores it or not.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lhet posted:

Had a question about tying up greyhounds. I believe the official stance at most places is "never ever tie a greyhound to anything because they can accelerate to 40mph in 3 strides and break their neck", to prevent people from chaining their dog to a tree or pole. Does this mean it's a bad idea to tie a leash to a pole for a couple minutes now and again? It would save time to combine short store trips and walks, and there really wouldn't be enough room for much acceleration.

Never use a tie-up, period. If you are ever caught doing this my adoption group will repo the animal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby enjoying the patio after a brutal winter

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

haha I recognize that expression

:stare: :effort: :stare:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

After 2.5 years of frustration, Abby finally got a small animal this morning. There was this little mouse sitting in the grass that she lunged at before I could notice. I pulled her back but the damage was already done. On my way back I saw it sitting there, twitching. Poor mouse :smith:

I think Abby really enjoyed the experience.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Very nice dog, face is gorgeous, it's very similar to Abby's. Does he have a brindle tail by any chance?

For the car, not sure what type you have, but I have a harness for Abby since she refuses to sit down.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lhet posted:

Yup, the entire back edge is pretty much black.

The father is probably the same as mine (Dodgem by Design). You should be able to look it up, or it may say in your paperwork.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lhet posted:

Yup. Over 11,000 half brothers.

This is Abby. You can see why I changed her name

https://www.trackinfo.com/dog.jsp?runnername=O%20YA%20KIMMY%20CHIZ

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BathroomTile posted:

That's an EXCELLENT name, how could you have done such a thing?! :v:

My first thought was "my dog is not a stripper."

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is that a pure breed or a mix? Reminds me a lot of a staghound.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I take Abby on about a mile walk when I get home. This gets her very exhausted of course (obviously this happens with greyhounds in general, but she will be panting heavily for up to half an hour afterwards). I'm wondering if it's best to wait a bit before giving her food after we get back? I only ask because I've fed her right after a couple times and she's thrown up.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any audio clips of the sound the thing that launches the fake rabbit makes at the track? I'm not sure what it's called, but I wanted to see Abby's reaction.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

In the meantime here is Abby getting part of a banana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-gcrf9JPA

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby does that too. Not very ladylike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

Edit: Also bought Rory a pool yesterday. I even added a squirt of dog shampoo to trick her into smelling nice. :ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHXVGnZZAo

Haha cute. Abby refuses to get in water. Anyone else's hound the same way?