Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

rhoga posted:

Anyone have a recommendation of a place online to get a Tess a warm coat for this winter? It's still 90 here in Tucson, but last year the nights got a little too cold for her.

Got my guy's coat from http://www.coats4greys.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

RazorBunny posted:

I submitted a new application to GPA-NOVA and got a message back saying we are approved, no new home visit needed (I thought they might want to do another one since we've done some remodeling). I listed our preferred adoption date as any time after March 1, since we have contractors coming in to do our kitchen and then a week-long cruise in January and February. After that our house should be nice and quiet with no extended absences of its people - a good time to work on acclimating a new pooch.

Countdown to ladyhound :3:

yay! very happy for you!

And as requested, pics of my two goobers

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Galler posted:

Patch gets Costco dog food as well and it seems to agree with his digestive system quite well.

Third nod for Costco brand, Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain both of mine love it.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Lhet posted:

I haven't tried oranges, but so far Remy's happily eaten everything I've offered him; including things most dogs won't touch, like celery, carrots, olives, pickled onions, kimchi, etc.

On another note, he's figured out that when I pack my bag we're about to go home, so now he gets really excited and runs to the elevators. Have a (low quality cellphone) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxkFaIH3XII

That is absolutely adorabel. For me, when I get my ID badge to head to work, my two go nuts looking for a treat. Apparently I've trained them to understand that me leaving = treats!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Mine is a chronic tongue hanger outer

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Omglosser posted:

My parents had a couple greyhounds. One (background) I thought about submitting to a Fermilab or something because he pooped and peed more than he ate/drank and didn't lose or gain weight. He also pulled a large diet pepsi from Taco Bell off the counter and drank the whole thing after eating an entire tub of butter. Never got sick. He did die of bone cancer, though. The other one (foreground, still alive) forgets how to climb the stairs regularly, although I think that he thinks that when he slips on them they're actually biting his legs.

I love just how gooberish most greyhounds are. Here's a pic of my boy with his new 'bed'. We got a rug for the hardwood floor because he was slipping badly and hurting himself when he got excited. Now he's using it as a bed!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

slap me silly posted:

Ooh, mine does that too. Let a tiny little hole appear in any of his stuffed toys and I can count on finding whites fluffs everywhere for weeks.

Same for mine. Toys rarely last a week or two!

Obligatory pic

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Doggies!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Nuclear War posted:

We've arrived safely in America and Meesha is adjusting very well

Absolutely adorable! My day is better for having seen those pics. Thanks!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
re: For food change. To help settle the stomach issues I've had success giving my greys pumpkin from a can.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

slap me silly posted:

I'm afraid this guy is going to that big sofa in the sky pretty soon. He's lost a ton of weight and has low blood cell counts - probably cancer of some sort. Not gonna do a bone marrow biopsy under anesthesia to find out the details, because he's twelve and a half. I'm sure I'll shed a tear for him when it comes, but he's had a good life :3:

E: working hard:

So sorry to hear. I hope you can enjoy the time you have left together and know you helped provide him a good life!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jake is out of surgery! They said he did well. One leg will be slightly shorter than the other, but not noticeable. They put in rods and plates and screws, he's a regular hardware store now. Hoping to see him tonight and possibly take him home tomorrow. He will have to be crated while he heals so he doesn't jump on furniture etc, which could injure him. The recovery is going to suck since he loves having the freedom of roaming the house and back yard. I will post post-op X-rays when we get them. Thanks all for the support. :unsmith:

Bonus (older) pic of his big stupid face:

Love the pic! So glad it went well!!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Happy Birthday!

And now from the annals of laziness...

I'm feeling sleepy

Very Sleepy...

I am feel..zzzzzz

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Dogs sharing a bed and crumbs:

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
This is my buddy, Jackfox. He passed to the Rainbow Bridge earlier today. I will miss him.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

I'm really sorry! He looks like a very good dog. Looks like he had a nice long life too.

Thanks. He turned 14 in May and had him since just before his 5th birthday as a re-home.

He was really the best dog for me because we connected so well. Unfortunately, my other greyhound is 13 and has her own troubles. I'm bracing myself for a 2nd blow in the near future.

Here's Jackfox with his adopted sister Beverly:

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Excuse me but I think you will find that actually their butts are full and meaty tyvm :colbert:

Jackfox looks like a very sweet boy, thank you for sharing him with us. Any particular stories you’d like to tell about him?

I love your noble doggo ;)

And Thanks for the kind words, Jackfox really was a sweet boy. As far stories, a few of his escapades include:

* constantly digging up and eating a wild chili plant we had in our backyard. He kept getting a belly ache and would cry and cry. At first It took us a while to figure out what was going on. Then my wife found the partially eaten pepper. Her first attempt at digging it up failed and it grew back only for the goober to eat it again and get another belly ache. We managed to get it fully dug up the 2nd time so he would stop giving himself belly aches.

* training me to get him treats. He would get up and walk to me and bark at me until I got him treats. I would act like I had no idea what he was doing and he would keep barking at me like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8GIyKBrDys

* He was a very tolerant dog with children and endured quite a bit from my grandchildren but with birds and other critters, not so much. We had one mockingbird constantly dive bombing him one afternoon and he got fed up and in one fell swoop jumped up, swatted it down, and just casually walked away. That bird got up, flew away and we didn't see it again.

* Zoomies. He's a greyhound, its no surprise that he loved doing zoomies. Sorry for the crappy video quality but it should give you the basic idea of how fast he was(clocked him at 42mph at a Greyhound meet and greet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnXVZDFO-s

Thanks for asking me to share. It helps a lot.

spoon daddy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2018

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Oh goodness, the chili plant had me rolling, that is such a Spartacus thing to do. I love hound stories, they’re such clowns, I’d love to hear more! I’m glad they help too :)
More hound stories.

The first time I brought him to the local dog park he wandered around marking up everything he could find. Then he came across the pond in the park and curiosity got the better of him. He jumped in and I'm not sure what he was expecting but landing in the water that was only hip deep was such a shock to him(and it wasn't cold, it was about 80 degrees out) that he froze like a statue. I ended up having to trudge in the water and lift him and carry him to the land. The entire time his body was rigid like a statue.

Then there was his normal poop antics. Like any other dog he would spend his time sniffing for a good spot. Except it never was just a spot. He'd find a tree or bush in our backyard, spin around and point his rear towards the tree/bush, squat and back into the tree/bush as far as he could and poop. When we moved to our current place, during our walks he added the local stop sign to the places he'd back up and poop on.

Last one. My wife did her best to keep him off our couch. He knew it was forbidden and would scramble off the couch as soon as we would enter the room. One time, while out of the house, we checked in on him using a network camera and he was on the couch sleeping. I called the house phone while watching him on my phone. When the answering machine picked up I started to yell at him to get off the couch. He woke up, cocked his head towards the phone, acknowledged he heard me, sniffed in the general direction and went back to sleep while I was yelling at him through the answering machine.

DarkHorse posted:

Finally got the video to load, Jackfox spinning in circles is the most hilarious adorable thing. He clearly loves having that big yard to play in :3:

You can't tell in that video but when he disappears to right he was cutting the corners extremely close at full speed. We always expected him to clip a corner but he never did.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Major Isoor posted:

That's hilarious! I've never seen a dog do anything quite like that, to be honest. Does he like paddling around in deeper (or shallower?) water, or was that the first time? When I took Tazo to the beach for the first time, he was highly wary of the water - but after a while he was running/wading through it, happy as can be

Oops my wife just corrected my memory. I blame the fact that I was paying attention to his sister at the time who was off playing with some other dogs. All I remember was my wife yelling at me to get him out. She reminded me that he was sniffing on a little bit of land hanging over the pond and leaned a little too far over the edge and fell in. He was never a fan of water, even before this event. Even those little kid pools were too much water for him.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

It’s awesome that you’re able to share stuff about Jackfox. Repeatedly eating chillies is peak long boi silliness :unsmith:

Oh, one other thing my wife reminded me related to his chili pepper escapade. Before we figured out what was going on we noticed that his package and his rear end were red and irritated. We initially had no idea what was going on. After we figured out that he was eating the chili pepper we realized that he had been licking himself and irritating his package and his rear end. I'll never get tired of crazy hound stories.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

That girl looks awfully comfy, it would be wrong to disturb her.

Congrats on your new dog! :getin:

Looks like Jake has a new friend!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

We’re keeping her :) Time to come up with a name.

Yay! Congrats!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Fuzz Feets posted:

Happy Friday y’all! Thanks for all the pics and stories which brighten my day, and even when they’re sad I am thankful for this lovely community who understands the zen of the long dog.

I love when they lose control of their tongue when lying down.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
A mere 6 weeks to the day after letting Jackfox go to the Rainbow Bridge we have let Beverly go. She was almost 13 1/2. She was always a little weak in the back area and I knew she was not doing well but the past week had been worse. We had taken her into the vet just about 3 weeks ago for a torn toenail(it was a common thing for her, she had brittle nails) and her hind legs were fine but we knew something was up this past week because she was struggling to get up and walk straight. Looks like bone cancer took hold and quickly grew. This has been a horrible 1-2 punch with losing Jackfox and now Beverly.

Jackfox was my very sensitive and emotive buddy but Beverly was my stoic goober who rarely cried and who ran headlong obliviously. I'll never forget at our first house that she loved chasing birds. She even caught a few and on occasion tried to eat the ones she caught forcing my wife and I to make her spit it out. She definitely ate one or two because we twice found areas where there were bird feathers all over and no bird corpse. Another time she literally coughed out feathers like a cartoon.

The other thing about Beverly that was really unique was her plush coat. Most greyhounds have a wiry coat but Beverly's was like a rabbit's plush coat and boy did she shed. There was no amount of brushing that you could do to her that wouldn't just dig up huge amounts of dog fur. After zoom grooming her outside, it looked like I had skinned a bunny rabbit. Because of her fur, she enjoyed getting zoom groomed or even better, getting rubbings. There was literally no amount of rubbing her head that I could do that was too much. I would start rubbing just below her ear and she was forcibly push her head into my hand to encourage me to rub deeper and would alternate side to side so I could get left and right sides. I knew I was doing it right because she would give me a satisfied grunt a few minutes in. It was almost like the way a cat purrs to let you know that you are doing it right. In fact, that's how I knew it was near the end this week. She stopped grunting when I was giving her rubbings no matter how much rubbings I gave her.

I miss my long doggos very much.

Here are some photos:

She really wasn't a good t-rexer/roacher. I think this was one of maybe a half dozen times I ever saw her do it.

A few weeks ago after ripping off her nail

Jackfox and Beverly

Begging for rubbings

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

ElectricSheep posted:

If it gets a lot harder for me to adopt another greyhound in a few years, I can deal if the trade-off is that the industry either starts regulating itself better to turn public perception around, or that it ceases altogether.

Having observed how much my two dogs absolutely loved running I will admit that there is a part of me that wishes the industry would just self-regulate better. However, I know that is an unlikely scenario. Hence, I prefer it get shutdown.

In terms of the US, I've seen greyhound racing slowing shrink the past decade and I've anticipated having a slightly harder time adopting. If there ever does seem to be a shortage of racing greyhounds, there is another option for those looking to fill their long doggo needs, albeit not practical for everyone. http://www.adoptagalgo.com is an American rescue that is rescuing Galgos(Spanish Greyhounds) and willing to work with folks outside their normal adoption area(Chicago). When I inquired about adopting in Texas they were open to the idea of adopting to me if I paid for the flight. Overall, it's not practical for most but for those that is possible, it's alternative. The plight of these dogs is just as gut wrenching, if not more, than those of the racers in the States.

spoon daddy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 28, 2018

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

Link not working some reason

Galgo rescue is definitely something I've considered for the future.

Bah, Maybe try with https? Here's the facebook page if that helps: https://www.facebook.com/LoveHopeBelieveGalgoRescue/

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty has been really sick with bloody diarrhea. Hoping it's just a clostridium infection and not HGE. He's been acting mostly ok, just pooping problems luckily, but if things don't improve he might need to be hospitalized :(

Sending good vibes to Sparty and you!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

number 1 snake fan posted:

You beat me to it!

Got a note from my local rescue that the Texas farms are starting releasing brood mamas and pups to rescue groups. Here's crossing fingers that this transition(FL shutting down racing) is as smooth as possible.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Me too :kimchi:

Sparty update: he's back to his normal bouncy self. Seems like it was a Clostridium infection of some kind, because the antibiotics and probiotics seem to have cleared it up.

I'm sure the rice and pumpkin helped, though.

yay Sparty! Glad to hesr he is doing better

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Happy Birthday Abby! She's a gorgeous dog.

Looked up my boy and girl who passed last year. http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?whobeat=1174960 and http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?whobeat=1325456 Looks like my girl Beverly was a more prolific and successful racer. Can't wait til we move and we can adopt more long doggos as we're about to move twice in the next 6-8 months and don't want to put a dog or us, for that matter, through that stress.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

Alright I'll try that, thanks. Is there a dog specific one I should use or is the kind for humans okay? Dosage?

Many of these are not cheap unfortunately. My vet highly recommended Dasquin. I tried both the soft chews and regular chewable pills and had mixed success at getting my boy to eat them on his own. I did see results but as the directions suggest, it took a few weeks to kick in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TWREFG/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MCVGEA/

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

Maybe, I dunno. I'll see how she does with these meds for the two weeks and go from there.

Right after the visit she had some spasms and couldn't get up on her back legs. Thankfully this happened while I was still there, so the vet was able to come back out and do some sort of physical therapy and it relieved the issue. She thinks it's just due to her exam. She's been perfectly fine today.

I know that fear of what it could be so I'm very sympathetic. After a few weeks of meds, if xrays are negative and she's still having issues getting up and and down I would talk to your vet about water therapy and cold laser therapy. These options are not cheap ($60-80/session) but I will vouch for their effectiveness in cases where it is appropriate. Your vet should be able to help evaluate if it's appropriate for her.

Also, have you started her on glucosamine yet? It takes a few weeks to kick in so you want to start sooner than later. I got the impression is that it's never a bad idea to do glucosamine for older dogs regardless of visible joint issues.

Good luck and keep us up to date!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Reading your post about Tess made me tear up. You have my heartfelt goon-dolences. I will echo that while this thread has a few Tess stories and pics, if you wanted to share your favorite ones I'd love to hear them.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

The adoption agency will work to get a good match for them regardless. They'll test the dogs for all kinds of temperament properties and make sure the dog matches their lifestyle.

This is the key. Your grandparents should talk to the rescue group and describe their lifestyle and desired activities(like the dog park) and a good rescue group will work with them to get a dog that matches their needs. Good luck!

edit: to avoid double post. Those pics of Tess are great! Thanks for sharing

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah just about every greyhound I know can't be off-lead if the area isn't fenced in. They have a strong prey drive, no road sense, and aren't able to smell their way home. Plus they're able to outrun their memory when they're focused on a chase.

We thought we could let Spartacus off-lead and did a trial, and sure enough he saw the open road and started trotting. He has crap recall, so we've basically given up on ever taking him off-lead.

Except when there's something to chase...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WQ_CNPpC8

Aww man, I felt bad for Sparty(while chuckling). But yes, I think it is a rare greyhound that can be off lead

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Cairo sounds like my girl before she passed last year. Could never get her to do anything she didn't want to do and she too was stoic. She too had her cancer come on suddenly in just a matter of weeks. It's just so shocking and frustrating. I'm still feeling it.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
I was going over some photos from my boy who passed last year and found one of him in a regal pose as befits his nobility.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Yay Mac!! He looks like he is settling in well.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
So sorry to hear about Louis though I'm glad you still have Joey around. It helps.

I know it is rough letting him go but I know this is sappy, but I know he'll always be there with you in spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

Abby was laying directly on the floor and couldn't get up. Her feet just keep splaying out and she was yelping :/ I had to pull her up to get her on her feet again.

She's okay know. Hopefully she's learned not to lie directly on it. Since my rugs are delayed, I took the extra carpet from when I had that installed many years ago and am using that temporarily. Her bed is really grippy so that's nice. The main rug I'm getting will cover a similar amount of space as my carpet sample is, but obviously be a complete rectangle!

Poor Abby. More rugs is good for traction!