Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
A couple of months ago I started thinking about getting a puppy with the quarantine and all allowing me to work from home, and just wanted to thank yall for helping convince me to get a greyhound by having the thread up. Her name's Lemon Pepper, I've had her almost a month and she's the best. I'm glad I got a goofy sleeper too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Are you not in a country with greyhound racing? I've never known anyone who owned one as a puppy because they are all on the farms.

I'm in georgia and from what I understand the market for racing dogs dried up from the virus so he went public with the puppies. I had the chance to go to where they were raised, meet the parents, check out the paperwork and everything seemed on the up and up :shrug:

Everyone who knows dogs says the same thing that they've never seen a greyhound puppy, but most people think she's a mutt rescue puppy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You may just have to click the link I’m feeling technically lazy.

That’s my poodle also!

https://imgur.com/gallery/L6xuA7W

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Even as puppies they sleep every which way and all around

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lemon Pepper has been starting to visit the dog parks and all I get is either how old is your dog/wippit or omg is that a greyhound puppy I’ve literally never seen one. It was all so normal getting her I didn’t realize how much I lucked out.

She’s growing too fast she’s already 16 pounds which means she doubled in size about a month. While she’s small she can get away with sleeping like a lunatic.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Are stairs and stepping up onto things a greyhound problem or my puppy's problem?

Also Lemon Pepper is the worst guard/watch dog on the planet. She loves people like a golden retriever would and doesn't bark. This whole yappy poodle combo with the muscle dog has a real lennie and george vibe going.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I took her to a brewery today and someone almost cried at the sight of a greyhound puppy

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

david_a posted:

Do the puppies sleep all day too? The books made greyhound puppies sound like terrors.

She only sleeps 12-14 hours a day instead of the upwards of 20 hours I guess, though her active periods are very hyper. I’ve had a lab and a mini poodle and I wouldn’t say she’s especially more so than any other breed.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The yard is more of an agility course than a racing course.

Also I found out she has food aggression for high value chew treats and I needa work that out of her. From what I read it’s a lot of drop it command training and giving her a treat for giving me her treat. If anyone has video recommendations it’d be super helpful!

https://i.imgur.com/VfoRiCT.mp4

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

We took Lemon (and terabyte) over to the dog park today. For the first time she played with a stranger dog, and she’s really adjusting to being around dogs.

She also discovered the stream in the park

https://i.imgur.com/IN8kAYc.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/eZECs8v.mp4

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

She’s growing too fast.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Do they all shovel food into their mouths and just let half of it fall on the floor to eat later or is mine just a pig.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lemon is now bigger than the local whippet and faster than my other dog for a good 15-20 seconds.

Yesterday she got pet by a 9 months old and kicked her and I was very proud!

Still hasn’t figured out how to jump on a couch.

She doesn’t bark but she whines a lot. She’s super sensitive to the point where she’ll scream like a banshee in her sleep then go back.

I haven’t been taking as good videos because it’s been raining a lot, but I’ll throw up some pics of the dog in the near future!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Her favorite thing to do on walks is toward the end grab whatever stick or leaf is on the ground and walk the rest of the way with it. This is her best insult the comic dog impression

Her being around the house

I have so many weird sleeping pics but this is her new favorite incline sleep

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also she’s faster for sure but more importantly she’s getting more agile. We’re having less incidents for sure.

https://imgur.com/DWuAW6p.mp4

Also just caught her Being a nerd

Veskit fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

She has Sanji ears now and it’s adorable. I don’t know how this came about but it’s a regular thing now!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Someone’s neck is finally big enough for a new collar!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’m ready to have a dog that does nothing for 8 hours

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

when are grey pups supposed to grow up and turn lazy anyway?

She’ll be lazy for 14-18 hours a day but those active hours of puppy time she’s just restless and whiney.

My guess is when she’s spayed it’ll slow down a bit, but we’re probably not doing that until she’s 1.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

If I were an adoption group and had to feed multiple greyhounds then I could see a lot of value in Costco food, but I’ve been steered toward high protein high omega 3 food like blue Buffalo wilderness. More costly though but you also don’t have to use as much food so it’s a toss up. I’d take my info with a grain of salt.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P9XGDG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_L5uSFb1EY3VSN?psc=1

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lemon sleeps in her crate in my bedroom until 8 in the morning where she goes to her spot on the couch, which definitely isn’t permanently indented and awkward.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Anyone follow half decent Black Friday dog clothing sales? My dog is in that awkward phase where she’s a big whippet or a way too small greyhound and I’m trying to find some cheap stuff

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

honestly, just get something high quality that will last, it's well worth it. I used this site to get a couple coats for Abby when I got her nine years ago and they are still going strong.

https://k9apparel.com/

I'll check them out for later for sure, but she's still got 4~ months to almost double her size so I just want a stop gap. I also live in atlanta so it's not super pressing to get anything too serious quite yet.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Akbar you’re doing great already! Greyhounds are weird, this is my first one and skool is right that they are weird dog-cats more than dog dogs. I’ve raised lemon since a baby and I can safely say as an anxiety free dog she’s super aloof in getting her attention, reacting to affection, running around when it’s not on her terms, stubborn walker and all of that.

Lemon is almost 40 pounds now and is thankfully getting lazier. This is here at 10am which is 3 hours after she wakes up, a big step for getting the nappy dog.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

thanks guys, I appreciate the support. do you have any suggestions on something I can easily mix in with her food each day to encourage her to eat? pb or a banana doesn't exactly mix well

I made beef bone broth for Lemon and Tera and it got them to want to eat. It's healthy and tasty and honestly not too expensive to do yourself. It just takes time. Oxtail is way too expensive, but if you can find knuckles or necks those work the best/are super cheap.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lemon is almost regular dog size now! She’s 40 pounds and still got time to grow. I miss her puppy days but I don’t miss her being a puppy. My floors don’t miss it either.

Also we got word lemons mom is pregnant. I’ll ask our breeder to sneak in some newborn pictures, I think she’s due in the soonish future.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Why lem, why do you do this.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Remy looks like a good hound and I wish for a full recovery!!!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lemon has new sisters! I want one but I know way better at this point than to have two puppies.

https://imgur.com/oAYwrmw.mp4

Veskit fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 23, 2021

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’m sorry to hear about your pup, and am glad he had a loving home.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’ve caught lemon doing a singular bark in excitement about three times. She does howl at sirens though if she’s outside.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Redczar posted:

He is clearly very scared and super tired, so he has been sleeping the whole time since getting here, which brings me to my rather naive question. I did my due diligence about owning greyhounds, bringing dogs into your home, bringing injured dogs home, but this wasn't obvious:

He is stretching and moving his legs a lot. Do greyhounds move and adjust a lot when they sleep, or is he just moving because it hurts? As well, any general advice you all have would be well appreciated

I'm happy you found him! He already looks like a good boy even in his condition. I couldn't image a greyhound being a fighter, and this one seems sweet. Where there any tracks near where you found him?

I've seen mine get up and move around and switch positions a lot so that seems normal to me.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Dont racing greyhounds have tattoos in their ear?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Have any of yall done non greyhound training classes? Is it as hellish and embarrassing as I'm imagining it will be?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's super cool but not in a cool way. The facility for watching the races and betting looks kinda nice too and everything else that has to do with the regulation of it all is garbage.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I do fear what will happen to the breed once racing is gone.

Buy puppies! They’re great.

I should do a write up soon

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Ohhh poo poo oooops didn’t know that one.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeUKtENP/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

THEY LOOK LIKE LEMOONNNN!!!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm coming up on my month anniversary of getting Lemon Pepper. She's due to be spayed in a month, and I feel like the puppy puppy experience is over, so I wanted to get my thoughts out there while they're still fresh, and in case anyone is interested in going down the puppy route. These pictures of my stinker were taken the day I met her, when she was 6 weeks old, and her mom tolerating her antics

First off, I want to thank everyone here for their stories with their pups. It helped me a lot in deciding to go with a greyhound. I really wanted an independent and aloof dog, and these goofballs looked like a good choice i never would have put together. I started looking for puppies through different websites, and I saw a guy selling greyhound puppies through the AKC site. I went out to his place 2 hours outside atlanta where i live, liked the guy, liked the parents, and put a deposit on lemon. I picked up Lemon two weeks later when she was 8 weeks old. I genuinely didn't understand that I had an abnormal journey in all this because it went so smoothly, but here we are. What I will say is that I hope there comes a day that people have an opportunity to adopt puppies if puppies are for them. That said... Puppies.

If you go online and try to do greyhound puppy research you find a lot of material about how hellish greyhound puppies are, and I think that overall greyhounds aren't especially worse as puppies i've had before. They are 100% though a different dog than when they're adults. Lemon as a puppy is kind of indistinguishable from when she is now. She had a lot more outbursts of energy, probably around 4 hours of day of wanting to run around play and be an active dog, and did everything with 100% go. She was really hard to walk, and just hard to control in general. Food was a big deal, and one time I got bit from her resource guarding. I put a bell on the door for potty training, but really she used it 100 times a day to go out and play but would come inside and pee. General greyhound stuff that was annoying. To have a successful day she needed at least an hours worth of running.

I kind of gave up on command training. I think if i had more patience or time with her I could have had her be better about dealing with commands, but instead I focused on behavioral things. I dont have issues with resource guarding, children, rodents running around, she doesn't bark, she's really good now about being a regular chill dog, but she could use work at even the simple commands like come and heel.

Also I've never had to train a dog to want to guard the house, I thought they all naturally barked and would kind of watch over, but she couldn't give two shits, which given how greyhounds are it makes 100% sense.

So the first few months were hard, but it gets easier, and easier and now we're here, to the 55 pound lady she is today

I don't think there's a lot of nuance between do I adopt an older dog or a puppy in greyhounds that you wouldn't find with any other breed, but 100% I will say that it's crazy the difference between the puppy and the adult and that's only because adult greyhounds are so different while puppy greyhounds are so familiar to other large breed puppies.

If the cost isn't an issue, and can give a lot of attention to the puppy for the first 4-6 months, I really recommend greyhound puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’m sorry about iceman, he looked like a very good boy.