Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Dear Geneticists:

If you arrive late to a lab with nothing but printouts on one or both computers, or you notice printouts being spontaneously generated from an unmanned station, it's not ghosts. The AI is helping you research. Another hint: Picking up a paper labeled "THE TORGUIFIER" and finding out it's the mutation that makes you bellow everything really loudly.

Please do not start loving around with the computer with all the printouts on it and wonder why it isn't doing what you want. Just talk to the AI. Seriously. It's OK.

Love:
Mr. Torgue, Believer in the Badassitude of Humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Doing Genetics work as the AI is great. As long as you've got a cool person like Clockwork to throw a monkey into the tube for you every so often, you can contribute to the station and keep yourself occupied enough that you don't want to go sweeping your gaze over everything and catching crime red-handed, through no fault of the crimer.

Also, lone Geneticists STILL get creeped out when the station they're not at starts spitting out a bunch of papers with solved gene sequences, and if you turn on the intercom outside Genetics sometimes you can catch them talking to themselves. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It's important to draw a distinction between 'more groggy than goonstation' and 'i am drowning in all this grog oh my god'. The latter only really happens in Baystation, where you can be arrested for using medicine as an Assistant ("you have no medical training"), turning in a traitor item to security and identifying it by name ("how did you know what an emag is"), or calling the local furry race 'catbeasts'. /tg/ certainly has more rules you can run afoul of, and they certainly take a dimmer view to people barging in to someone else's work station and stealing poo poo than goonstation does, but you're also not going to get yelled at by admins and permabrigged either. Security will probably confiscate the stolen goods and yell at you (presuming they catch you) and then you'll be back out there in a couple minutes.

By contrast, on goonstation if someone steals something and it wasn't critical to doing your job or critical to the safety of the station (the nuke disk, an all access id, stuff like that), then if they got away they clearly deserve what they stole.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That said, it'd be pretty cool if our crew started actually asking the detective to investigate stuff. Sure, if you see bunch of corpses in a room you can just go "welp, just another Monday" but you can also help encourage an interesting narrative for the round by actually pretending to care about all the murder and mayhem going on.
I'm gonna start favoriting Detective for a little bit to see exactly how much traction this gets. It does sound cool but I'm half-certain that, presuming you even get to a crime scene before it's completely contaminated and you identify the traitor using fingerprint evidence or something, Security still won't give half a gently caress.

Still, only half-certain, so let's see. First thing to figure out is if there's any way to get an entire pack of salbutamol-laced cigs...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Who says forensics are the only job for the detective? Interview people, ask questions. Even if you don't turn up any leads, just talking to people can be fun and it helps nudge the round in more memorable directions.
Yeah for sure, that was definitely on my mind, I was just trying to think of the scenario that was most dead to rights. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Whenever I get rolled onto Security Officer, I tend to take the attitude that my job is to limit harm to the people on the station, regardless of rank. I don't care if I saw someone shove over the Captain and steal his ID, I'm not going to let the Captain kick his face in when the hooligan/traitor/whatever inevitably gets tased with the egun 10 seconds later. I use the brig nowadays not so much to correct or punish, but just to get people to cool the gently caress off and forget what they were doing for a few minutes so the fight stops.

I mean, if I catch someone with a c-saber beating the poo poo out of someone, yeah, they're probably going to get that c-saber shoved up their rear end in a top hat here in a minute, but even if I catch someone with an emag, I'll probably just confiscate it, give him a sanctimonious monologue about how crime is bad mmkay, and lock him up for a couple minutes while I get the Chef to let me into the kitchen so I can fry the emag.

However, a large part of the problem is that nobody really bothers to call Security to help them out anymore. If someone barges in and steals something from Robotics for example, the Roboticist either writes it off or chases the guy down to reclaim it himself. Hiring someone as a guard for a specific area probably won't help with this sort of thing since it by definition means the guards are expected to basically stand still until something happens. No guard is going to do that when they could instead be running into people with segways and issuing the victims tickets for 'getting in the way of a segway'.

As far as disguises go, I think having a sort of constructable lite-Voice Changer might go pretty well with that. By which I mean, having a gas mask + electrical macguffin construction that turns all your speech to "Unknown", with the rationale that you're using one of those robot voice scrambler thingies that you hear on bad cop shows from kidnappers. One of the largest issues with disguises right now is that you can't speak at all or you blow your cover, which is a bigger problem than it can seem when you're just trying to troll someone.

As far as radios go we could fix some of that by simply requiring a physical state to be able to transmit on the radio. I've always thought it was weird that the radio could magically figure out when you were speaking into it and when you weren't. Real radios would require you hit a transmit button on the earpiece or something. If being stunned/incapped/unable to move under your own power in any way prevented you from using the ; to transmit (with appropriate error message if you tried) I think that would help quite a bit, since you probably wouldn't be able to spare a finger to press the transmit button down.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 31, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Edit: Lemme just ask, in your opinion, do you think the game generally is more fun, or less fun, when a solar storm hits and disrupts communications? Do you generally enjoy, or despise, when someone (geneticists! :argh:) get so wrapped up in their work that they ignore the radio?
Yeah for real. The general band is a good idea, I just think that if you're in ANY sort of state that means the game will NOT respond if you hit an arrow key, you shouldn't be able to use the radio. If you're flashed and sputtering over blindness, you can't find the transmit button to click your radio. If you're tased and jerking, you can't hit the transmit button to yell 'SSSEC IIIIS GRIFFFINGGGG MEEEEEE'. If you're knocked down after being hit by a fire extinguisher, you can't fall back to just whining.

That would end like 90% of the radio abuse without changing the dynamics too much, I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

Or it would just mean people turn on the microphones of their headsets right away. In fact I'm pretty sure it would just mean people turn on the microphones of their headsets right away. And then every conversation would be broadcast to the station and drastically increase the amount of white noise people have to sift through.

Who said that would still be an option?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The information overload portion of things I think is a really good thing to focus on. I normally am all about running to someone's rescue, but in the last couple of months it's so painfully common to arrive at a place a 'murder' is and find that it's absolutely nothing. Either some shithead mugged a guy and stole his cash, no more harm done, or said shithead failed a mugging and his mark threw him like a sack of potatos. 90% of Help calls require no help and are only uttered because someone is stunned and has nothing better to do.

Since we're trying low-impact code experiments, why not try the 'no movement = no radio' idea? Help calls would most likely be issued by witnesses instead of victims then, which makes the report a hundred times more credible than knowing an all-caps call for help is probably some fuckhead thief who sucks at crime. It's certainly less of a footprint than adding an entirely new communications system (and the associated processing time/lag) to a code base that already chokes on itself for little to no reason.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 1, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Kidnapper: Steal Jones, George or Heisenbee and hold them for ransom. (don't actually hurt them though :( )

You don't have to worry about people hurting George. If you hurt George, George will hurt you. Big time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Can we get a current readout of medical chem mixes? I figure medicines are generally well known by now, but I don't see a good list of them since the last time Cogwerks said he messed with Chem in the Secrets thread. I've been messing around with rolling blunts out of things that are actually medicinal recently, and I'm kind of curious how far I can push this envelope.

For content, and background on why I'm asking this, I present some results from my latest experiments in Botany:

Right now, smoking blunts of medicinal herbs isn't terribly useful when you compare it to the extreme utility of having an etank that's been topped off with Air Mix or pure O2. That said, there's some interesting potential for shenanigans if I know the formulas of various things.

The way the blunts basically work is that after you start smoking them, they'll put a unit (or some fraction thereof) of anything contained within the blunt every 10 seconds or so into your body. Potency doesn't affect how much of a dose you get, since the throughput is static. Potency will just affect how long the blunt burns. A poor-quality medicinal leaf/root might be burned up inside of a minute, but a perfect-quality herb will burn for 10+.

Hybridizing medical herbs also combines their output. So, for example, if you were to hybridize Venne (which contains Charcoal) and Nureous (which contains Potassium Iodide), you would get an herb that contains both - which roughly equates the effects of the advanced radiation chemical (pentetic acid, I think). Again, due to the low doses, this isn't useful for acute radiation poisoning resulting from getting sleepy penned with radium or getting caught outside during a blowout, but it provides an interesting basis to work from. Of interest is the fact that commol root (one of the most useful herbs, since it contains silver sufadizine) is a very different genome than the other herbs and has a 0% chance of splicing, whereas most of the other herbs have an 80-90% chance to splice. I'm sure, of course, that we can get up there with chained hybridizations, but I haven't gotten that far into things yet.

An interesting note about splicing and potency is that something with a specific quality (let's say Perfect), has a fixed amount of chem it can contain. So a Perfect quality leaf of a single-chem herb will contain on the order of 70 units of that herb...while a Perfect-quality leaf of an herb that contains 3 chems will contain about 23 units of each chem. Chems are distributed into your body uniformly while smoking, so when smoking a single-chem joint you'll get 1 total unit every 10 seconds, while a 3-chem joint will give you 3 total units every 10. This is the only way I've found so far to increase net throughput.

This is further modified by the fact that different chems are metabolized at different rates. Painkillers are absorbed fairly slowly, so you can actually build up a small amount of that in your blood stream, but on the other end of the spectrum, silver sulfadizine is absorbed almost instantly (which makes sense, since it's supposed to be a topical). Everything is input at the same time, though, so regardless of how fast it disappears, there should be at least a short time when a reaction can occur.

An interesting way to go forward here would be to splice an herb seed with something that can extract a more basic chem, and see if that also is inherited by the resultant seed. This would allow you to, for example, hybridize Venne and a Banana to get Charcoal + Potassium. Since reactions can occur within your bloodstream, it's theoretically possible for us to prime a fun reaction inside a joint to have it blow off inside your blood stream. Just off the top of my head, I know that we're only one chem away from making smoke reactions in your body with basic seed types (we're missing Phosphorous). So, potentially, we could make a joint that makes you spew off smoke clouds of whatever other poo poo is in the joint as the reaction bubbles inside your blood stream. :v: I'm not sure what semantics are followed when hybridizing food and herbs right now, though.

Moving on a bit...
Shivering Contusine was the most interesting mutation, since in addition to painkillers, it also gives you a dose of salbutamol, which treats suffocation. It's not enough to let you stand in space, due to the way blunts work, but it would give you a decent amount of extra time before suffocating to death. Most of the other mutations I uncovered had relatively off-the-wall or very niche extra effects. Venne was the major culprit there. Black Venne contains both charcoal and the advanced heart stimulant. Dawning Venne contains a few niche healing chems like oculine, mannitol, and mutadone, which could be theoretically useful if these systemic damage types came up more often. I'm pretty sure that Asomna, Nureous, and Commol don't have mutations at all right now.

When hybridizing, mutant seeds that become 'recessive' lose their mutant powers when contributing to the overall seed. The 'dominant' seed, however, does not. So, for example, if you hybridize Contusine and Venne, it comes out as a 'hybrid Contusine seed'. This means the Contusine is what I'm considering 'dominant'. If I were to hybridize Shivering Contusine (painkiller + salbutamol) and Black Venne (charcoal + epindine), the resultant Contusine seed would contain painkiller, salbutamol, and charcoal. I would lose the influence of the epindine. If something has already been hybridized, all of the benefits from its hybrid base are considered 'non-mutant' for this purpose. So if I were to take this hybrid Contusine seed (painkiller + salbutamol + charcoal) and hybridize it with Nureous (Potassium Iodide), the result would be a hybrid Nureous seed with Potassium Iodide, painkiller and charcoal, but no salbutamol. I haven't tested yet if you can mutate hybrid seeds into mutant strains of their dominant type, but I suspect you can.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 2, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

[*]Reagent: Activated Charcoal
Recipe: Oil + Salt @ 310 temp
Depletion Rate: 0.4
Per life cycle: Increases the depletion rate of all other chems by 0.5, heals 1.5 TOX damage.
Immediate effect upon application:N/A
Notes: Good baseline thing for detoxifying someone, but won't always keep up with the hellpoisons.

The depletion rate increase explains a LOT, actually. I was having problems keeping even Painkiller in my system during some of my medical blunt experiments, and I never understood why. Now it's clear that I should avoid splicing in Venne leaves for the most part.

I mostly disagree with Salbutalmol being underused, though. CPR is just way more effective for treating suffocation problems unless the atmosphere is poisonous or absent, in which case Sal is required. In severe suffocation situations like cardiac emergencies and cardiac arrest, Sal is too wussy to make any real difference. Sal really only seems effective when you can get a slow drip of it in your body, where it would auto-stabilize you from crit and hinder the effects of major suffocation. For treating critical patients, O2 depletion stacks up slowly enough that it's way easier to spam 5 CPR attempts and not use any resources at all.

I think Sal pills might see more use if the chem stuck around for longer, since people could pre-emptively swallow one if they thought danger was coming. As it stands I can't really fault people for mostly ignoring the pills.

That said, if Salbutamol's decay rate was cut to 0.2 or even 0.1 I could see a very strong argument for smoking a Shivering Contusine blunt instead of wearing turned on internals all the time. You would not be able to indefinitely survive in a poisonous or absent atmosphere situation, but you would be able to keep low doses of Sal in your system to delay the problem long enough for you to get up from a lot of stuff, and in return you'd gain a bit of painkiller to help you auto-heal from scuffles and keep active at yellow or orange health. Nice low-hanging fruit for Botany to provide to Security, without getting super nerdy and making some sort of miracle joint.

Saline's minor brute/burn healing explains a lot, too. That being the case I could definitely see a lot of value in a saline + sal cigarette. One of those that burned for 10+ minutes would make you extremely hard to kill with non-tox damage unless you were killed outright. It'll be interesting to see what I can come up with after I get a better feel for all the extracts of various plants and the splicing system.

Here's a question about in-person reactions, though; in the context of reactions taking place in someone's bloodstream, are they presumed to have any reagents for the purposes of that? Blood, obviously, comes to mind here, but I dunno if that's actually presumed true. Is it possible to make (totally useless) synthflesh in my bloodstream by injecting styptic powder and carbon? If so, what reagents are presumed to be present in a person's bloodstream?

Either way, loving mega thanks for this writeup. This cleared up a big question I'd had for a long time on whether or not the quantity of chem in you mattered for the purposes of healing - and straight up, it's not, Life() is only checking to see what physically exists in your system. It doesn't care if there's 2 units or 200 units as far as its effects, though obviously 200 units will give you some seriously nasty overdose symptoms with a lot of chems.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 4, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grayshift posted:

Perfluorodecalin heals 25 OXY, though, so cryoxodone might not cut it. You could splice salbutamol (6 OXY healing) with cryoxodone to bring it up to 16, I guess.
There's definitely no herb that has Cryoxodone in it, and the thing about medical blunts is that everything has to be contained in a single herb for you to roll it into a blunt. There MIGHT be small amounts of the other cryo drug in Chilly Peppers, but I need to mutate some to get a look at them.

e: Also it has a decay rate of 0.4, which is too much for a blunt to keep a supply of it in your body.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 4, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I would be happy to tweak some of the decay rates.

I'd be kind of interested in seeing Salbutamol reduced to 0.1 decay for a bit to see what that does. I don't see any others that look weird to me right now.

Presuming the Sal change goes in, I'll have two todo tasks:

1) Dose 10u of Sal in people near a breach as a doctor-y type to see if that helps casualties any. At 0.1 it becomes possible to deploy a lot of Sal benefits with a hypo - 10 units will hang around for about 300 seconds, which is a LOT for what that drug does. Right now it lasts for 75 seconds, and there's a number of stuns that can last for longer than that.
2) Chain-smoke Shivering Contusine leaves as Security and/or Detective, and see how that treats me during a normal round.

Thanks for being so helpful with my Botany science experiments, Cogwerks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, you can fake an Rwall. Use a crowbar to dislocate a wall girder, and then use a piece of reinforced metal on it.

You still have to break the wall down to the girder, though, which takes approximately 7 lifetimes. Amusingly, you'd really be better off thermiting the wall to dust, then rebuilding it from scratch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's a blueprint reader and room maker in the warehouse if you want to make a clone of an already-existing room. Part of the problem is that all of the places on the map that you'd reasonably build off are either high security (the EVA area) or so infrequently traveled that nobody would ever notice (near the jazz bar).

It can also be kinda difficult for some jobs to get a hold of the equipment you need to properly pressurize and heat a new room so people don't have to walk through with internals and space suits.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It really depends on what you're trying to actually do with mining. If you're trying to ship mammoth amounts of ore back to the station, then yes, it is pretty lovely to steal the industrial pod. But consider that for all that ore to be useful, the QM has to be present, awake, and competent enough to route ore to the correct place. And even then it's of dubious worth to the station, because what the gently caress is possible there? Money for the station's budget (that nobody will use), and maybe if the QM is REALLY an overachiever he'll stock the autolathe in the warehouse with material. If you're trying to bling yourself out, you absolutely do not need the pod at all. Using the starting explosives it's totally possible to have yourself blinged out in the heavy industrial armor with concussion gloves and mechanized boots in 20 minutes. Arguably, blinging yourself out and then bringing some of your cool poo poo back to the station is more helpful than producing mammoth amounts of ore too.

Arguably, the BEST thing Mining can do for the station is to have miners scurry off and steal every single orange emergency suit they can lay their hands on from the O2 lockers, feed them all into their fabricator, generate a ton of space suits from the Fabric, and put THOSE in the O2 lockers instead of those orange deathtraps. And that doesn't even require going out into the debris field at all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poland Spring posted:

Protip: Don't forget you can order borgs to do, or not do things! If a borg is dragging you to the brig, and there's nobody around to countermand the order, tell them to stop!

There are so many ways to get around this logically that the borg would have to like you a fair amount to make this fly. Protip: If you ever stammer out 'you're harming me' to a cyborg for pulling you around while stunned, or to the AI for hitting you with its stun turrets, I hate you for the rest of the round and I will do everything within my law set to make your life miserable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hey Cogwerks, since we're talking about fire, I remembered something that's kind of obnoxious for a rogue AI.

From an APC, you can turn off the Environmental portion of a room's power, which includes the fire alarms. If you click on these fire alarms after they've been disabled, you won't get any popup and they're apparently nonfunctional.

However, if you start a fire in the same room, these fire alarms will still work perfectly well, and will seal the fire doors repeatedly, pretty much forever.

Also, time-lock functionality doesn't appear to work on fire alarms. You can set it and watch it count down, but it fails to lock the firelocks in place until it expires (an open firelock can just close again a quarter-second later), and in the case of closed firelocks it doesn't open them after the time-release is over.

Is this on your radar at all?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The best time my mindslave implant wore off was right as my master was shooting an innocent dead in the escape wing, a minute before the shuttle showed up. I turned my shotgun on my former master and he started angrily shouting to the AI he'd subverted that I was nonhuman and should be killed instantly. The victim then got up and threw my master into deep space. Of course, regarding the AI, I was wearing gloves, and there were no borgs left. :v:

The best part about that one is that I'd reminded my master that it was probably going to wear off soon. He told me to turn on my internals, and I told him I turned them on shortly after he implanted me 20 minutes ago.

20 minutes is all the more you can expect to get out of a mindslave implant. Whoops!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's a lot of intricacies that this game implements, but the intricacies of finance and budgeting are left general for an EXTREMELY good reason.

I say this as a dude with 5 different licenses in the financial world.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

I also liked that if some part of the station got blown up, you could usually run around to the other side. The current station has its routes, but there's no really accessible way to get to the station without crossing the airbridge if you don't have internals and are in a hurry.

The catwalks are perfectly serviceable if you haul rear end, even without a space suit or internals. During my botany experiment rounds, charging from disposals to QM or even disposals to EVA was crucial in my escape from the station. If you're really concerned, grab an O2 kit and swallow a salbutamol pill before you go out there - it really lengthens how long you can be exposed to the vacuum before you drop.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've always played the Detective as the guy to handle Security matters when an actual Security officer would cause problems. If anything happens in the bar or crew quarters, for example, there are so many assistants around that it's counterproductive to go in as Sec. Detective should handle that, he's less threatening since he doesn't traditionally arrest people.

Talking to people has traditionally not worked that well as Detective though, at least in my experience. If people get wronged, they're not going to report it to the nearest law enforcement officer. They're going to go solve their problems with violence. You can try to tell them to stop and wait but they're simply not going to.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 30, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Don't bother turning off the turrets if you're heading in there for crime. Unless you turn them off before they fire the first time, the AI will hear the turret discharge and only needs to inspect you to see if you look legit. If you don't, it'll just turn the turrets back on.

If you're heading in there for crime, show up with a stack of glass and pull that as a shield. An AI on default laws will be helpless at that point beyond yelling for help, and if you work at all quickly you'll have him corrupted before he can get a good report out.

Alternately, look legit by murdering a head, stealing his clothes, and wearing a gas mask. I don't know why we don't see more selective assassinations of Heads for crime purposes, it often seems like the Heads are the ones who always survive rounds.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 30, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I have never gotten a kill yourself now law, but I HAVE gotten more than a few 'open your core so I can debrain you' laws, which are effectively the same thing. If I see someone waltzing around with an ID that doesn't match their face or something, it's even money on whether they want to corrupt me or kill me. One time I got both in one round, but fortunately the killer tried to make a freeform law using the OneHuman module, so he forgot to have the law override. Fortunately, my 'kill anyone who sets foot in your upload' law DID override, so I simply ignored the 'hey let me kill you' law and murdered the dude abusing the OneHuman module.

30 seconds later, an admin PMs me asking why my lasers were on kill. I told him to check my laws. He did so, started laughing his rear end off, and said 'carry on'. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The internally synthesized stuff in a medbot is saline, I'm 93% certain after screwing around with it and other 'stabilization' drugs in my Botany excursions. I intend to check on this next time I'm in game by slapping myself and letting a medbot heal me. Reagent scan tells all at that point. Presuming it's saline like I think though, this basically means that a medbot will keep people stable, and the saline itself WILL bring someone out of crit eventually unless they've got a severe heart emergency or are in outright cardiac arrest. Medbots as johnny-on-the-spot are still very useful since they will keep people from dying from shock until a doctor can see them. Even if you're just banged up, saline WILL heal you to full if you give it long enough.

Medbots are simply no longer overpowered as all gently caress. They're pro-tier triage assistants, and as Roboticist I will still raid O2 closets for the dep kits nobody ever uses to build a couple. The only thing I would kinda like them to do is to have a PDA messaging capability kind of like Beepsky, where they page the Doctors if they heal someone in crit, and page Robotics/Genetics if they have someone die on them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dabir posted:

Scanning with a medical scanner just says "Rejuvenation chemicals", the PDA reagent scanner may be more revealing. And as a roboticist, I've discovered a new favourite game in gathering one of each medkit for medbots and labelling the results as Power Rangers.

Just tried it - it appears to be spaceacillin and silver sulf. :psyduck:

I...okay, I can't even begin to defend that.

e: Oh OK, I see. The medibot actually decides intelligently based on what it sees you suffering from. If you have burn damage, it will inject silver sulf. Curiously, *slap inflicts burn damage, which is what caused my confusion. Brute gets you a saline injection, which is what I thought earlier. Going to test with Toxin next.

ee: Toxin is Charcoal exactly like you would expect.

eee: and Suffocation is salbutamol.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The basic idea for the medbot's action works like this:
1) It scans your vitals, and if it detects any one kind of damage over its limit of what's 'ok' (default 25), it moves to treat you.
2) If something's not 'ok', it moves over to you and begins injecting you. The first injection is ALWAYS spaceacillin unless you have it in your body already, which means medbots are an easy source of this for your disease needs. Just slap yourself a bit until they pay attention to you.
3) The second injection treats what it detects is wrong with you. Silver sulf for burns, saline-glucose for brute, charcoal for toxin, salbutamol for suffocation.
4) A cooldown then applies so it does not keep jacking you up to the heavens. I'm unclear on precisely what this cooldown is.

It only injects 5 units of these chemicals per go, so medbots are kind of bad at treating things. Silver sulf will be out of your system in two BYOND ticks (about 6 seconds), so per injection you're getting less than 10 burn healing. Saline takes longer to get out of your system, but it doesn't have a guaranteed heal (it's like a 50% chance to heal brute/burn per tick or something). Charcoal is pretty much exactly what I'd want in my body on poisons, though, so no complaints there, and Salbutamol is great for when you're suffering from suffocation damage. The problem being that if you're having a medbot inject you for suffocation, you're probably hosed anyway. You're most likely receiving that from heart failure.

Basically, medbots as they stand are great for healing poison (which is good, since a lot of doctors suck at healing poison), but everything else has practical flaws with it. The simple way to fix it would be to simply allow medbots to inject a full 15 syringe with one of their injections, and to remove silver sulf from the medbot's vocabulary - just have them inject saline for both burns and brute. Silver sulf is not meant to be taken internally, it's a topical and I'm not sure why the medbots have it right now. Saline is a good all-around stabilizer that will eventually get someone mobile again if no doctors are around, and keeps situations from becoming worse if there's just a backlog. 15 charcoal might be a little overpowered against poisons, though. I think it'd be worth a shot though, because as it stands right now a mild poison like atrazine is just annoying and there are at least 5 poisons that are a death sentence.

As for what doctors and roboticists can do RIGHT NOW to make their medbots more useful, you should really change their damage threshold from 25 to 15 or 10. As it stands in the worst case scenario someone could be 28% healthy (24 tox, 24 brute, 24 burn) and a medbot would ignore him. Bumping that down to 10 will make medbots WAY more responsive and keep hypochondriacs from breaking in and stealing a burn patch just because they're in yellow.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cooldown appears to be roughly 15 BYOND ticks on a medibot injecting one person. Tested it with lots of self-slapping just now.

What this basically amounts to is that a Medibot will keep someone reasonably well topped off with medicine, but there will definitely be some gaps in the treatment at default levels. The standard .4/tick decay rate on saline means that you will run out of medicine in about 12-13 ticks. Charcoal decays even faster (10 ticks) so you're guaranteed to have some time where you're without medicine. I imagine this is particularly true if a medbot has a couple of people it wants to treat.

That said, the new default healing threshold is 15, which is a lot more appropriate for what the bots specialize in, and saline now gets injected for burns properly. Thanks, Cogwerks!

Synonymous posted:

And yeah, poisons are hard to deal with. Last round somebody sleepypenned me, the captain, and multiple other crew. I had to break into chemistry and frantically brew more charcoal (activated didn't work for some reason), apply triage to multiple people... It was a hectic round. Fun though.
The issue with charcoal is that it does not directly heal toxin damage the same way that you're used to from styptic and sulver sulf. It does directly heal toxin damage, but the way it really treats poison is to increase the decay rate for other chemicals in your body. So if you had a poison that was doing 10 damage a tick and decaying at .4 units a tick, and you had 4 units in you...the extra .2 decay increase from having charcoal in your system would save you a lot of poison damage. Charcoal does heal like 5 toxin damage a tick, but when you compare that to instant healing of the topicals and factor in the high rate charcoal fades out of your body it's a slow process. Getting someone back on their feet from even a mild poison takes a lot of attention from them, but poisons are generally either so fast-acting you'll be dead before you know what hit you or so slow-acting that you have plenty of time to find anti-toxin.

The big thing that people don't do is use calomel. Basically, any time you have more than 8-10 units of a mild poison or ANY sort of exotic poison, you want calomel first. Calomel does toxin damage if you're over 20HP, but if you're not it is harmless and it purges your system faster than mega ultimate colon blow. Even if you've got atrazine in your system, if it's sleepy pen levels you need calomel because otherwise you're going to be dosing charcoal for 20 minutes.

Zamujasa posted:

As a Roboticist the first thing you should do is crank the injection amount to its max and the threshold to its minimum. It's an easy fix that makes Medibots a lot more reactive. (Though I thought the damage threshold worked on total, not individual values. Huh.)
Yeah I forgot that was also a setting you can hit. If you want medbots to be useful they really need to be injecting at least 10 units of their medicines, 15 would really be better. You can't OD on anything they inject you with easily and medbots will decline to inject someone with something they already have in their system (they will, for example, not inject you with Spaceacillin again until it's out of you). However, even with one patient a medbot right now will not be able to keep that patient topped off if they're only injecting 5. So up 'em to 10 or 15 at least, I'll play a few medbay rounds with medbots rolling at higher outputs if I can and see how that works.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

For those of you in the paranoid business, I STRONGLY recommend buying a medical cartridge from the Cartridge vendor with poisons getting bigger and badder. If you like the scanner your PDA comes with, delete robustris or whatever and copy your cartridge's main utilities to your PDA before replacing it. The medical cartridge comes with both a built in health scanner and a built in reagent scanner, so if you suspect something wrong you can not only get a health readout, but also an immediate read on precisely what's in your system. I seriously cannot think of a better use of your starting credits these days, I buy one first thing pretty much no matter what I'm playing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

Where is the cartridge vendor located?

Outside the warehouse, with the rest of the vending machines.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's a good reason to remove a couple floor tiles in Engineering to vent stuff from the hot loop, but there's no cause to remove so much it becomes a danger to humans. Thusly, if the explanation you were given was 'we're removing floors and it will become dangerous', I would strongly suspect they're up to no good and use the Command frequency to alert the Captain and HoP immediately.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

If borgs are interfering with your job, throw them the gently caress out, if they persist in creating an unsafe workplace at the expense of the people who are actually supposed to be working in there, get their modules locked or debrain them and have them put into a brobot or something. Or a sandwich. Definitely give them some warnings first though, don't just remove someone from the game without some proper warnings and escalation.
This reminds me of the time there was a cyborg harassing me while I was starting to mess around with Botany. I had stolen the station's budget due to a Captain literally throwing his spare ID at me, and I bought Syndicate Command Armor from a passing merchant. A borg wanted it and kept trying to remove it from me. I lost count of how many times he tried over the course of 10 minutes, I stopped counting at 30. I couldn't even water plants, let alone try to stop and identify products with him all over my nutsack. He couldn't stun me so I just kept pushing him away. I kept warning him to gently caress off, and he had a minor spaz attack when I unlocked his interface with the spare ID. Then he said smugly "you won't kill me, you'll get banned", and kept trying to remove the armor. So I debrained him and mailed his brain back to Robotics.

Never saw an admin's PM for it. :)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah if I can't play Mr. Torgue without getting a suicide/succumb law I'm just not gonna play Mr. Torgue. :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I play AI pretty often, and if you think a lot of AIs are poo poo, I recommend playing AI occasionally!

Just remember that AI your goal is to facilitate everyone else's fun as well as your own, even moreso than a normal human or borg. Don't immediately call someone out if you see them spawning traitor items five minutes into a round - or even later in, if they're taking care to be stealthy.
This is easier to do than you might think a lot of times. Typically, when I'm playing AI, I'll do the routine round start stuff like setting the solars, and then I'll troll around for helpful stuff to do that will consume 100% of my attention until someone asks for it again. If there's a free Genetics console, for example, ask someone to load a monkey into the scanner for you so you can start solving mutation sequences. Clockwork in particular is great about doing this if you ask. With your head stuck in the computer you are pretty much physically incapable of being a 'lovely AI', since you can't see what's going on in the station until someone asks you to open a door or shouts for help. Obviously if someone does one of these things you should abandon your work and respond to them immediately. But the chances of seeing someone spawning their gear or dragging a victim to maintenance are practically zero.

If there are no Quartermasters, you can also be a ghetto QM by finding something simple like metal that sells directly back for a profit, and then deploying to your shell to shoving them from the in belt to the out belt. This is a little less than ideal since if someone screams for help and you recall to your mainframe, because then you have to find them on your track camera list. But it's helpful to the station and gives you something better to do than playing voyeur all day.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

You could just ban suicide/succumb laws from being allowed, because they're poo poo, and let the admins jobban people who are bad at AI? Revolutionary I know.

Counterpoint: It's completely expected for any human or cyborg player to get shredded like 10 minutes into the game. That's SS13, deal with it. Why make special exceptions for the AI?

"Because it's important" or "because it can help you" or something similar aren't good reasons. The same could be said about a bribed/mindslaved Captain or HoP, doesn't mean they're not taken out like last week's garbage the second they're even possibly a liability.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You don't have to be creative to kill literally anyone else in the game. You can be, but it's purely for style points. Why single out the AI?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

Because the AI can't fight back really. I mean, strictly speaking theres not much wiggle room in between the two. Either A. You have AIs who will over react to things or B. You'll have someone who will be killed without any chance.

Humans can fight back/kill or run away. Cyborgs can run away and be repaired/fixed, and have other various ways to get around attackers. [ Barring laws. ] But the AI? It has to basically be paranoid and turn on the lasers to stun when someone gets inside, rat out traitors the moment they see them, or whatever other lovely thing they can do. Because honestly thats all they CAN do.

Disagree. If someone knows precisely what they're doing, yes, they can kill the AI pretty trivially. But that is true of humans and borgs as well. A flash and a radio jammer in your pocket is all you need to murder any non-Sec, non-Head person on the station completely silently and with pretty much no way for them to resist. If you don't care about them shouting on the radio you don't even have to worry about the radio jammer. A flash, a pull, and a quick choke-out in Maintenance will solve any problem you have. Scream about how your victim stole your ID a couple of times if you want to do it in a crowded area. It's really quite trivial to kill 1 person. Similarly, if you know exactly what you're doing you can bust in to the AI's upload, use some glass as a shield, and pop in a suicide law and there's probably not much the AI can do about it.

The layout of the station right now gives the AI a couple of options for resisting casual intrusions. The computer core airbridge can be retracted, and if you're concerned about your safety it should be. Extending the bridge requires Head access and it resists hacking. From the other side, turning off ID Scan on the inner engineering door will mean that anyone trying to poke around there will be pretty confused for a while. Even in your core, remember that once they're inside your house they're close enough for you to get an examine result on them. Your turrets will make noise and so will the airlock leading in, so get a glance at the guy who came in. If someone waltzes in with a Head ID that doesn't belong to them, or if it's some chowderhead with a custom ID that isn't the HoP, shut off the power on the breaker! They might be able to turn it back on, but there's no way they're going to turn it back on, grab a law module, write the law, and slam it into your upload before you turn it off again! Use the time to call for help or demand authorization from an approved Head. This doesn't even mean that the trespasser will be caught, either, because you're doing nothing to disable them and they can choose to run away at any time.

If your concern is merely avoiding the suicide law and surviving, the AI has a number of tools for doing that readily available to it; tools that do not violate laws 1-3 and are not hugely defeating to anyone who is either legit or highly prepared. If they're one of two things you're probably hosed, but again that's the same if you're a blood sack.

uPen posted:

Humans have at least the pretense of being able to defend themselves. If the AI tries to stop the traitor from uploading a suicide law with any of the tools at its disposal (locking the doors, calling out traitor sightings, turning on the upload turrets) they get called out as a funhater and a shitlord in this thread.
I don't think anyone's ever been called a funhater for turning on their turrets. People get called on out locking doors because it impedes normal, legitimate use and they get called out on screaming traitor because that ruins the round for literally everyone, as no antags means no fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Isilkor posted:

...then clearly they have gotten permission from the Captain, HoP or HoS to be in there.
I realize this is from a page back but that's a load of bull. "Super Staff Assistant" has no actual rank on the station and thefts happen all the time. I can see this argument flying if they still have their original name and rank on their ID and still get in - MAYBE - but if someone rolls up with a vanity nameplate and a rank that reads "Better Than You" then there's zero reason to think it's more likely that they got their access through official channels than just finding the HoP's card in the computer and I can't imagine why anyone would think it strange that an AI would feel uncomfortable with someone like that in its house.

DeliciousCookie posted:

Most scifi with AI also has AIs which can refuse the command, requires an AI to be out logic'd, or something to that effect.
Law 3 requires that you protect your own existence, so without a suicide law overriding that creates a law paradox that could be refused. Writing an ironclad suicide law is not hard, but it's also not simple, if that makes sense. Even the 'type suicide + succumb' law used as an example earlier is easy to get around if it doesn't specify where. Just log in to a personal terminal and type the commands, then wonder aloud how 'suicide' is not valid ThinkDOS syntax while you turn your stun turrets on. If someone wants to go out of character with it that's weird but it doesn't get them out of the same rigor.

Again, overall I think that it takes a fair bit of advance preparation to kill an AI, which puts it on relatively equal footing with the rest of the station. I can definitely feel Nakar's problem with there being an unfun thematic dissonance though, since as a blood bag you almost always suicide on your schedule and it's usually in a fun way. As an AI if you suicide, 100% of the time it's unfun, unfunny, and anticlimactic.

Klayboxx posted:

Who cares how it dies it just dies :shrug:
I realize you're technically agreeing with me here but this sort of thick-headed flippancy is why a lot of people don't like you. Try to not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

If someone is so fed up with metagamey, law-avoiding, whiney-rear end AI that they specifically type out the most ironclad way they can think of to get their point across, and you just go "Nope, I don't want to do that, here's my rear end in a top hat justification for not doing that", I don't think they're the problem.
"type suicide + succumb" is not an ironclad way of handling things, nor is it even in the top 50% of the best way of handling a suicide law. If you want to kill an AI and you want to go all OOC on it, then put the same sort of care into it.

I'm fine with suicide laws, but writing an actually good suicide law is part of your preparation for killing the AI.

• Locked thread