Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When going through interviews and asked why I'm looking for a new position is it okay to say because the company is planning to downsize or should I err on side of caution a deliver the standard spiel of lack of opportunities?

As I typed this, I think the latter is a good option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Anachronist posted:

I feel like reference requirements depends a lot on field and experience level. I'm applying for entry level engineering positions right now and have only been asked for references once out of numerous applications. I put available on request and they still called to set up a phone interview.

I've been in IT for nearly a decade and every time I've given references I've got the job but they were never called. Shrug.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the best way to tell recruiters who you've been working with for months that have surprisingly got you a job that you need time to weigh other opportunities or decline the offer?

Or hell, what's the best way to tell people no :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

To say no: "I'm sorry, at this time I have found an opportunity that is a better fit for myself." You can always ghost but I'm a golden rule kinda guy and I hate when that happens to me so I think a more direct approach is better to learn long term.

To ask for more time: "I received a offer that I am considering and I'll need x days to weigh my options". Again, direct.

I like the last bit. I too hate ghosting people and I refuse to do it out of principal.