Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I added guppies to a tank with scuds.

Within a few weeks fat guppies and no scuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone tried raising opae ulla shrimp? I hadn't heard of them until very recently

I guess over in Hawaii people just go grab a couple gallons of brackish water, some lava stone and toss some shrimp in there, and then periodically top off with ro water and otherwise don't need to do anything besides feed them very periodically. They have a larval stage so strong filtration is strongly discouraged

They look like red neocardinias but they're red in the wild so their hardiness hasn't been bred out of them yet to get that color

I have easy access to brackish water (SF Bay) seems interesting.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone tried raising opae ulla shrimp? I hadn't heard of them until very recently

I guess over in Hawaii people just go grab a couple gallons of brackish water, some lava stone and toss some shrimp in there, and then periodically top off with ro water and otherwise don't need to do anything besides feed them very periodically. They have a larval stage so strong filtration is strongly discouraged

They look like red neocardinias but they're red in the wild so their hardiness hasn't been bred out of them yet to get that color

Don't take water from the bay. Buy salt.

You'll have fewer nutrients and risk of disease/hitchhikers, and it's a lot easier.

Also the bay is saline.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
We believe our betta has fin rot. He’s getting holes in his fins and they are growing in size until the fin splits. We’ve started using API betta fix but things don’t appear to be improving, only getting worse (more holes/splitting). He’s acting fine (eating, interaction, etc.). Is this actually fin rot? Any other things we should be monitoring or treatments we should use?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
from what I've read, BettaFix is diluted Melafix, which is diluted tea tree oil, which can be used to euthanize fish. so I wouldn't think it that great for fin rot. how big is your tank, and what's the temp? how often do you water change?

you might need to look into something like Kanaplex. and if you can find some catappa leaves, those might help, even if they stain the water a bit.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I also vote for catappa/indian almond leaves, and another thing to check is whether the water flow from the filter is very weak, which could potentially worsen weakened fins and make it harder for them to heal. That the fish is still eating is good, it means if you get an antibiotic you can soak the food and get it inside the fish where it can best help fight the infection. Depending where you are it might be possible to buy medicated flakes outright. Good nutrition is important for healing too. Does your fish ever post himself in among those plants? There might be sharp bits on the hard plastic stems which could cause problems with long delicate fins.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've been making little self-sustaining semi-sealed terrariums for a while now with insects and plants, just little ecosystems in a sealed container, only opening it every few months or so to trim some of the plants to keep it looking nice.

I love creating and balancing ecosystems and making nice looking scenes with plants and hardscape and while I understand that it's not feasible to do an entirely self-sustaining aquarium, I've been really attracted to the idea of setting up a "low-tech" one. Ideally no filter and no CO2 injection. I live in an area where temperature probably isn't going to be a problem but I would add a heater to it just in case, and of course LED lights which my terrariums also need anyway.

What is the goon consensus on these low-tech aquariums for someone new to the hobby? I was thinking of starting with a relatively small 22 litre/5.8 gallon tank to begin with, get a ton of plants and let them grow in and cycle the tank for a month or so before adding shrimp, snails and a betta. I've watched countless Youtube videos on the matter but it seems like it's a bit of a fad too so I wanted to check in with you guys to get a second opinion.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

a7m2 posted:

I've been making little self-sustaining semi-sealed terrariums for a while now with insects and plants, just little ecosystems in a sealed container, only opening it every few months or so to trim some of the plants to keep it looking nice.

I love creating and balancing ecosystems and making nice looking scenes with plants and hardscape and while I understand that it's not feasible to do an entirely self-sustaining aquarium, I've been really attracted to the idea of setting up a "low-tech" one. Ideally no filter and no CO2 injection. I live in an area where temperature probably isn't going to be a problem but I would add a heater to it just in case, and of course LED lights which my terrariums also need anyway.

What is the goon consensus on these low-tech aquariums for someone new to the hobby? I was thinking of starting with a relatively small 22 litre/5.8 gallon tank to begin with, get a ton of plants and let them grow in and cycle the tank for a month or so before adding shrimp, snails and a betta. I've watched countless Youtube videos on the matter but it seems like it's a bit of a fad too so I wanted to check in with you guys to get a second opinion.

like half of my tanks are filterless. I got a 5 gal one with blue dream shrimp that just keep on reproducing, and I have to keep replenishing the staurogyne repens because they keep devouring it

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

My tank is filtered and I knew almost nothing about growing plants, but I was able to create almost that exact tank in 15 gallons. I assume you won't have any difficulties with one of those.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

a7m2 posted:

The really cool part of this is having a huge window for how often you need to water the houseplants (because they're growing out of an aquarium)
No more "oh that looks wilty, dang, I should water more often."

In other news, my endler guppy moshpit genetic shotgun turned up a single female with big lace fins.
I have her isolated in a 10 gallon with a couple mystery snails, waiting for babies. The end goal is to isolate female offspring, and hopefully build up a harem with lace fins. Then I can select a male or two out of the jungle with cool colours or stripes to breed with them.
Here's hoping anyhow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg9OwhAk3bg

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats! I’ve never seen that fin formation at all, it looks like it’s decorative without being debilitating which is the kind of fanciness that is really nice to breed for. My own endler population explosion is ongoing even though something happened to my blond endler and I can’t see him any more. I don’t know if he jumped or if he prolapsed yet again and died and was eaten by snails before I spotted him. I have no idea if he managed to impress any of the ladies, either. Sometimes things don’t go how you want them to, in fish keeping.

My other recent disaster involves the inlet guard coming off one of my filter pumps, and a sterbai cory becoming fatally jammed in the inlet pipe. I’ve swapped equipment out so that that can never happen again - a horrible surprise considering that same pump has been fine and apparently safe for years now.

I think all the medaka I got are male too! No action on the medaka front, although at least with those I can buy more later in the year even if it’s a bit cooler without worrying that they won’t survive the shipping.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Had a pretty catastrophic incident at home, which means we're likely without power for 2+ days. Any ideas for how to keep an established tank (with one axolotl) from getting hosed by having the filter off for that long? Putting the axolotl into a temp tank is tricky because we're also without running water for at least 24+ hours so no way to keep up with daily water changes.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

Had a pretty catastrophic incident at home, which means we're likely without power for 2+ days. Any ideas for how to keep an established tank (with one axolotl) from getting hosed by having the filter off for that long? Putting the axolotl into a temp tank is tricky because we're also without running water for at least 24+ hours so no way to keep up with daily water changes.

2 days without a filter is likely fine as long as your tank was stable with no issues beforehand.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mostly you just want your filter media to not stagnate, and not dry out. If your filter is a hang on back style, you can scoop a cup of water over the media chamber to keep it moist, this will also work to provide surface agitation which helps oxygenation. Sponge filters will probably be fine, and canister filters you can use the priming button to move a bit of water through the canister every now and then, or if your media is in bags you could move it into the main tank so it's in a larger body of water. Your main tank has beneficial bacteria all over all the surfaces, there's zero advantage to moving anyone to a temporary tank especially if there's a chance it will stress the axy out. You can probably skip feeding the axolotl until the filters come back on as this will reduce the amount of waste in the tank. I hope you and yours are safe and able to stay comfortable and fed without power too!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Great, thanks for the reassurance! Max was overdue a water change but another couple of days will hopefully be ok.

We are lucky to have a bunch of great friends who've offered us somewhere to stay in the meantime, so humans are all sorted :) Thanks for your well-wishes.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

a7m2 posted:

As long as the stocking is appropriate plants can do a lot of work. I run a filter mostly to keep the water moving, but I haven't done a water change in more than two years now so I don't mind cleaning the filter out twice a year or whatever.

I would be inclined to go with a bigger tank if you can, though. It'll be more stable, and every aquatic plant/moss I've grown that doesn't need additional CO2 except Anubias nana and various Bucephalandras could devour a 5 gallon within a couple months.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is 5.8 gallons too small for a betta and a few cherry shrimp? I'll have plenty of plant cover and hiding spaces for the shrimp but I'm still worried the betta will go for them.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I personally would not keep a betta in anything smaller than a 10G even if you weren't worried about the shrimp. They're really active and curious fish and I don't think 5G provides enough space or enrichment for them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah pour water into your HOB filter couple times a day, stir the water with a spoon as deep in the water as you can get it periodically

Oxygenating water isn't magic science

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 12, 2024

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

HazCat posted:

I personally would not keep a betta in anything smaller than a 10G even if you weren't worried about the shrimp. They're really active and curious fish and I don't think 5G provides enough space or enrichment for them.

I got a betta in a 10 gallon and it spends most of it's time in a little fake log I bought it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

I got a betta in a 10 gallon and it spends most of it's time in a little fake log I bought it.

Sounds to me like your betta could use more space and enrichment v:shobon:v

I've never had bettas in anything smaller than a 20G, and I've also never had a betta that didn't spend all day swimming around and exploring and mugging for my attention. And the betta I had in my biggest tank (a 70G I had when I lived with my parents as a teenager) was also my longest-lived betta - he almost made it to 8.

It's just my opinion, but I think a 10G is the absolute minimum for anything bigger than chili rasboras. <10G tanks should be shrimp and snail only.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you for the feedback. I found a tank that will fit that's 11.1G. If I want a betta and some cherry shrimp, is it going to be a problem that the tank is only ~10 inches/25cm high? I'm looking at a tank that's ~11 inches wide, ~23.6 inches long and ~10 inches high (28*60*25cm).

I'm also open to replacing the betta with some other fish if there are any good contenders for an 11G tank. I'd prefer fish + shrimp to a shrimp-only tank.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 12, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CPD and/or Chili Raspora (and that general size class) are about the only fish that can coexist with juvenile shrimp

Fish by definition, barring Very Specific exemptions, are carnivorous, or at least omnivorous, they'll eat the fish food shrimp given half a chance.

The only thing preventing cod or rasporas eating shrimp is their mouth is simply too small. That's it. Full stop

They can still eat shrimplets, given not enough plant cover

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I know someone with a tank that has cherry shrimp and a betta so it's possible (apparently it depends on the betta's temperament/personality. If it doesn't work, the betta can keep its tank to himself), but his tank is a bit bigger. As long as the betta won't suffer in a tank that size (it's not as high as most 10 gallon tanks) I'm content to try it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

a7m2 posted:

Thank you for the feedback. I found a tank that will fit that's 11.1G. If I want a betta and some cherry shrimp, is it going to be a problem that the tank is only ~10 inches/25cm high? I'm looking at a tank that's ~11 inches wide, ~23.6 inches long and ~10 inches high (28*60*25cm).

I'm also open to replacing the betta with some other fish if there are any good contenders for an 11G tank. I'd prefer fish + shrimp to a shrimp-only tank.

In general most fish (including bettas) prefer longer tanks than taller tanks, so you should be fine there. Make sure you have a lid though, as with a shorter tank you really don't want to lose any water space just to keep a gap at the top to prevent fish or shrimp jumping out.

If you're open to other types of fish, you should definitely look at getting a school of chili rasboras (which, as noted, are small enough they won't even eat juvenile shrimp). Or you could do a small school of dwarf/pygmy corydoras if you don't mind juvenile shrimp occasionally getting eaten (but corys won't actually hunt them, and they won't hurt healthy adult shrimp, at least in my experience).

I've kept bettas and cherry shrimp together successfully in all my tanks, but they've been heavily planted 20G and the bettas all definitely ate whatever shrimp they could manage to catch, so I'd imagine it would be harder to balance a colony in a 10G. If you do go with a betta, I would recommend having a lot of sußwassertang in the tank, since it's dense enough for shrimp to hide in but not so dense its a trapping risk. Moss is also good, but you need to let it grow pretty long before shrimp can actually hide in it properly. Vertical plants like pearlweed or valisneria will also break up lines of sight and give shrimp something to escape into if they're getting picked on in the middle/top of the tank.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I have ember tetras with some cherry shrimp, with lots of moss and cover for the shrimp, so thats a possibility if you want to keep a tiny school instead of one betta with a big personality. I have some little rasboras (espei) too and in a taller tank they stay close enough to the surface that the bottom dwelling shrimp are ignored and safe. I think a shallow(ish) tank is fine for a betta, swimming length is more important than vertical height for most fish, not including laterally compressed fish like angelfish. Another thing to keep in mind with a betta is they are capable jumpers, something to keep in mind when looking at where to set the water level in the tank or whether to have a cover on the tank. Covers help regulate temperature and reduce evaporation too as well as keeping acrobatic fish contained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGDiztKHp8k

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Side-Eye

Eta update: she had babies this morning (13 feb)!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2024

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

a7m2 posted:

The betta will eat anything it can fit its mouth around that it can catch. They’re fairly aggressive and territorial towards smaller animals. This includes things it can bite in half if it in can catch em.

Generally big amano shrimp are your best bet for bettas cause they’re too big to eat.

However, if your tank has enough plants and hiding spaces (small tunnels or nooks that the betta can’t get into) cherry shrimp are usually fast enough and aware enough where they’ll get away. I have a ton of cherry shrimp in my community tank for cleaning purposes, and even with plenty of fish that would eat them it seems almost all of them survived because I have a lot of hiding space for them. I bought about 30 baby cherries and I still see most of them at full size 6 months later. I do have a 30 gal though.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have a 40 gallon tank with platys, corys, and snails. The tank overall seems very healthy. It's been established for about 10 months and everyone is having babies.

But every once in awhile a single platy or two will get white spots/lumps. Sometimes they become lethargic and die, but not always (~3 have died over this time span so not super common, there were a lot of platys). I've never figured out what it is, but I don't think ich based on pictures I've seen.

Pictures here are of a platy that seems completely healthy, except there are two large white bumps near the base of its tail. Another fish had a very similar spot on her abdomen the other week, but that cleared up on its own. She never looked or acted sick either.

Any idea what this could be?

The white spots on the platys that died never protruded quite like the ones shown, so those could be unrelated to whatever is going on here.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not ich, that poo poo is far more flat and looks like a fine sprinkling of salt. Looks almost like some kind of tumor? Anchor worms usually are a lot smaller and have forked tails if I remember right?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Could be lymphocystis, it’s viral and can cause warty growths but the fish’s immune system can often fight it off, or if it’s not in a bad spot the fish can continue life mostly unaffected. By bad spot I mean blocking the mouth so it’s hard for the fish to eat. Since it’s a virus there isn’t much you can do about it. More info here https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-8-lymphocystis/

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Of all the weird things, I got an email from the power company today saying they're going to be doing maintenance and shutting off all power for minimum 3 hours Monday morning. I do have a few of those battery pack things that run on d cel batteries or something, and they're good for a power stone or two per tank. But since I have so many tanks, I'm wondering if I should just snatch up some little backup battery on Amazon that can run several air pump/stones at once.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The little usb powered ones draw next to no current, so you could run multiple off a usb battery bank and a dumb hub. Plug 10 of them in to the same usb charging port might actually draw enough to convince the thing to stay on, lol

Or one of those bigger packs that you can plug solar panels into might have enough gusto to run canister filters for a couple hours too.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 14, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just have sponge filters so I am debating buying a few of the usb rechargable pumps instead of one massive battery pack.

Like 4 of these:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SB4MLJ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1ZOTI9DDE28NV&psc=1
Instead of 1 of these with cords all over. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PTKV81R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AT3ZAUS8U8BK7&psc=1

I won't be home when this happens so I don't want to have a ton of cords everywhere.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh that's cool. I haven't seen bigger pumps with onboard batteries like that before.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I had 4 10 gallon tanks about 9 years ago, mostly because my ex had a habit of buying bettas whenever we were at the store for cat or dog food. Then we split up and I lived in a house with rickety, unlevel floors. I experimented a little with planting the tanks, but I don't think I ever had a decent substrate in any of them, so I'm fairly excited to start a new heavily planted 20gallon tank (of the Father Fish method) on my desk. My soil supplements and plant cuttings arrived tomorrow and I just finished bracing my desk against catastrophic collapse. LFG

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hadlock posted:

I was just in Hawaii and my hotel had an outdoor Koi/African Cichlid/Red Devil/Managuense pond. It appeared to be working astonishingly well.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

The tank sits on the end of my desk against the wall. I did the planting in situ and my back hurts.

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 17, 2024

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
I'm setting up a new 29 gallon tank and my spouse who is from Burma is suggesting all the fish, plants, and wood I use be species found in Burma.

Do any of yall have any good go to resources for finding what species are native to specific regions? I'm only aware of vaguely Southeast Asian species but not more specific than that.

Mrs. Dash fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mrs. Dash posted:

I'm setting up a new 29 gallon tank and my spouse who is from Burma is suggesting all the fish, plants, and wood I use be species found in Burma.

Do any of yall have any good go to resources for finding what species are native to specific regions? I'm only aware of vaguely Southeast Asian species but not more specific than that.

Panda garra, lots of danios, gouramis (don't get if you go for panda garras), various loaches sold as sumos.

I got that from https://aquadiction.world/countries/myanmar/
Is Burma Myanmar? That's all that came up.