Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I was looking at my beta tank today and I noticed hundreds of white dots swimming around the bottom and middle of the tank. Does anyone know what these are and if I should be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

This was the best picture I could get they are the little dots in the center of the pic you can see some in the background too.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Just the beta fish used to have a snail in their but he died like a week ago. The weird thing is I did a full water change after so I have no idea where they came from.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
He's mostly ignoring them but I've seen him eat some.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

SynthOrange posted:

Them turning up after a water change is pretty weird given that you dont look like you have new plants or creatures which are the major source of accidental hitchhikers, but them being free swimming dots does help narrow it down to fleas, copepods, seed shrimp, etc which are pretty harmless and just provide extra snacks for your betta.

How old is this tank? Given that they're unlikely to have spontaneously generated, they probably existed in your tank in very low numbers and conditions have changed recently (your snail dying and leaving uneaten food sources, for example?) that permitted them to go into a population boom. I wouldnt worry about them unless they're really going nuts and filling the tank with themselves, then you might take a look at invertebrate control medication. Just be aware that inverts are very sensitive, so you'll want to avoid this if you intend to put snails or shrimp in the tank again in the future.

So if I cut down on how much I feed the fish they should mostly die off? My beta is still regrowing fin from when he was sick way back will the meds stress him out if I use them?

It was a mystery snail, dude was as big as a golf ball.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I just upgraded from a 15 gallon tank to a 28 gallon one. All I got right now are 7 zebra danio and a pelco, you guys have any idea what I could add to this now I got 13 extra gallons to play with?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Are you sure? I goggled that and some of those guys get big.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Ok but seriously I'm thinking of getting another school of neon tetra this time and a single big fish but cant find anything that would be good. You have any suggestions?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I think it would be nice to have a second school of fish but if it's a bad idea I can just get more danio instead. Do you think http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+882+966&pcatid=966 would be a good one to get and what type of loach or cory would you recomend?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also how bad of an idea is it to buy fish online.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Just got done with buying some fish so now I got two blue gorami chillin with 10 danio 3 cory and a big ole pelco. I'd like to add some more cory but that feel like I would be pushing what the tank can handle. Am I right or do I have to get some more cory.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hope that tank is super super planted, watch out for those gourami. I had to get rid of one of mine because the man chased the woman down and kept picking at her until she was lying in a little cave-hideout i bought for her and just gasping because of how hosed up she was.

This was after 3 weeks of them coexisting just fine, so I'm not sure.

Yeah it's got some hiding spaces. What size was your tank?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know about the frogs but my betta does fine in a 5g and people keep them in smaller things. I wouldn't want to keep him in less than 3g though.

Also make sure to get at least a decent light if you're trying to grow things, most tank combos I saw when I was shopping for a tank a few months ago come with bad lights.

A 20gallon Long. I don't think I had enough plants to keep both of the gourami.

It' might have been a small tank, I was told that my 28 gallon was cutting it close for the space they need.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Is their any reason that https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Crescent-Aquarium-Efficient-5-Gallon/dp/B00324X5L2?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 would be a bad tank for a beta?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
So I got a 10 gallon that I can't fill while waiting for the stand. I'm curious though what do you actually put in the 3-5 gallon tanks that are on sale everywhere?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Got my 10 gallon set up.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
So the 10 gallon I bought developed a crack. Not leaking yet though got the betta in a bucket while I get a new tank.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Anyone know what the plant growing on top of the fake log is? Just showed up a couple months ago and it's growing out of control.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
All my fish get ghost shrimp for Christmas.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
What do you people use to trim underwater plants? Will normal scissors work? They aren't shipped with oil on them or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

HazCat posted:

I personally would not keep a betta in anything smaller than a 10G even if you weren't worried about the shrimp. They're really active and curious fish and I don't think 5G provides enough space or enrichment for them.

I got a betta in a 10 gallon and it spends most of it's time in a little fake log I bought it.