Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Have you considered shrimp? You could probably do a nice little planted setup with a pile of cherry shrimp or something similar. 5 Gallons is pretty tiny, really - from my understanding you're going to be really limited in stocking options, even a betta or goldfish would prefer a much larger tank. Plus there's the fact you're pretty much doomed to buy a gigantic second tank a few months into taking up the hobby, so you might as well wait until then to get fish :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

republicant posted:

I have no idea how, since I'm pretty sure they aren't hermaphrodites, but my single electric blue crayfish is apparently female and has a rather large quantity of eggs. I think they can store sperm from previous mating or some kind of weird thing like that, I really don't know anything about crayfish reproduction. Congratulations crayfish!

Is that the same thing as a marbled crayfish/marmorkrebs? Because those are all female, all self-cloning and rock out something like 1000 eggs at a time.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Prescription Combs posted:

1x cherry scrimp

You got that right. Get a million of 'em!

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

When I'm running carbon I skip the pre-made 3/$$$ packs and use a refillable bag with a couple scoops from a big 40oz container of marineland carbon. Saves a lot, and isn't much added work.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anyone got any suggestions on how to make aquarium water unappealing to cats? One of my idiots just loves lapping at it.

Push it in

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Mozi posted:

These are good but they are so thick and hard I can't cut them to change the dimensions, which is rather limiting.

Pliers? I use plastic grids for my stuff and just tear them apart to my liking with a needlenose set. That looks thicker but you could probably do the same.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Trails of white dots, probably eggs stuck in cracks in any rocks they can find. They're nice snails, but those eggs can be a real pain even if they never hatch.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

That's not enough cories. Even if one or two of them are pretty playful/swimmy regardless, their behaviour changes when there's a bunch. I'm down to three through attrition and it's a little sad.

Same deal with the neons, I had six die down to five and they started getting more shy/inactive. Bought a few more and all of a sudden they're exploring everywhere in a big school.

Rest I can't speak for.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I'm down to one geriatric shrimp out of a 4-5 years old colony, not bad for $15.

Did you just plonk yours in or something? Dying isn't unusual, but all of 'em are.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

If you've got any kind of active local aquarium buy/sell/trade, you're about to make a few bucks on mystery snails is what's about to happen.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Crypts are pretty similar in that way. I started with two teeny ones and now the left side of my tank is a Sri Lankan Salad and nobody gives a poo poo about hiding in my crappy caves anymore.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Schwack posted:

The pleco was pretty tiny, but I checked him as thoroughly as possible and he looked pretty much exactly as he did when I picked him up. Assuming I can stop killing them, going back for another one is going to be my first walk of shame in decades.

If I were you I'd just get more corydoras, they're happier in bigger groups of their own kind (unless your new tank is massive, anyway)

and i didn't see anyone address it so yes, nerites are absolute poo poo machines, this is what you saw.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Seems like in that case I could just run the air hose to the bottom of the tub and set a rock on it

I've got a check valve on it, but I've been doing this for probably close to a year. No issues and prevents any sort of film I'd get if it was just the HOB.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

While we're speaking tools, I just moved over to a razor blade based scraper after a decade of mag floats. Brought the tank back to like new in mere minutes, it's a mix of relief and feeling stupid.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

RadioPassive posted:

Amazon sold me a razor scraper with 3 feet of handle so my arms stay dry and my tank stays clean.

That's the one! The handle is ridiculously long but drat does it do the trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

The Diddler posted:

So one of my bettas has twice now wedged herself into a place she couldn't get out of. Do they learn from near-death lessons or do I need to adjust my hardscape?

I lost half my danio population with no bodies, symptoms or apparent tank issues. Turned out one swam into a piece of cholla wood and one by one the rest were following inside it to eat the one before them. Eventually noticed a golden glow, yanked the lucky fella out, and trashed the wood.

Fix your scape, I'm afraid.