Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have also had trouble with shrimp. A bit new to this, set up my first tank a few months ago.

I fishless-cycled a 40 gallon breeder, planted it, added driftwood, and stocked it with 12 Panda Corydoras and a pregnant Red Wagtail Platy. The Platy delivered about 30-50 fry, and I moved her to another tank to protect the fry. I added a handful of live plants, and the cycle seems very healthy.

It was at 0/0/20ppm NH4/NO2/NO3 for a few weeks, now stable at 0/0/0, pH 7.2, GH 3dH, KH 1-2dH.

After a few weeks I added 6 blue velvet shrimp, then collected one dead shrimp about every two days for 12 days :(. The Corys and the Platy fry are all fine.

My guess is the KH is low? But I don’t want to upset other parameters by adjusting my KH because my other animals seem very happy and the pH is real good.

Anyway here’s some pics of Platy fry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is the correct way to care for them very expensive or labor intense?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I use Seachem Flourish and I have to manually cull snails all the time, it definitely isn’t killing my snails.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Amazon sold me a razor scraper with 3 feet of handle so my arms stay dry and my tank stays clean.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is there any problem with running the light on my tank for the same duration each day, but starting late in the day so the light is still on around 10PM?

Or should lighting roughly align with daylight hours?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

That's exactly why, I get home from work late and I want to see brightly lit fish.

Plenty of plants in this tank, so I'll keep the timer, but set it to run late. Thank you.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have a 40 gallon tank with platys, corys, and snails. The tank overall seems very healthy. It's been established for about 10 months and everyone is having babies.

But every once in awhile a single platy or two will get white spots/lumps. Sometimes they become lethargic and die, but not always (~3 have died over this time span so not super common, there were a lot of platys). I've never figured out what it is, but I don't think ich based on pictures I've seen.

Pictures here are of a platy that seems completely healthy, except there are two large white bumps near the base of its tail. Another fish had a very similar spot on her abdomen the other week, but that cleared up on its own. She never looked or acted sick either.

Any idea what this could be?

The white spots on the platys that died never protruded quite like the ones shown, so those could be unrelated to whatever is going on here.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I use RODI (Actually even cleaner, I use Milli-Q from my biotech laboratory because the lab manager explicitly said I could), and remineralize with Equilibrium before adding. I fertilize plants with Fluorish Excel and Fluorish Trace. I used to add Seachem Neutral Regulator but the pH still hung out at 6.2-6.4 anyway so I stopped.

My pH is 6.2, and my Platys and Corydoras look happy and they're all breeding constantly.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

How did the top of my 40 breeder tank get off-square so the lid doesn't close?

I opened it today and it was wedged in tight, had to pull real hard to get it open, and now it won't close, it rests on top of the tank rather than on the lip where it should. One corner would fit but the other corner is way off.

I feel like I'm going insane, the rectangular hinged glass lid is the right width and depth but the whole top of the tank isn't square to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

After removing and replacing it several times, I've got it wiggled into a position that opens and closes and lays flat shut when it's closed, but there's still a much bigger clearance on one corner than the other.

The hinge and back plastic strip all seem fully seated and aligned with their panels. My carpenter's square isn't with me, but even before the hinge, the top looks off-square against just one of the glass panels of the lid. Whatever, it's working now, I don't care if it's crooked.