Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've been making little self-sustaining semi-sealed terrariums for a while now with insects and plants, just little ecosystems in a sealed container, only opening it every few months or so to trim some of the plants to keep it looking nice.

I love creating and balancing ecosystems and making nice looking scenes with plants and hardscape and while I understand that it's not feasible to do an entirely self-sustaining aquarium, I've been really attracted to the idea of setting up a "low-tech" one. Ideally no filter and no CO2 injection. I live in an area where temperature probably isn't going to be a problem but I would add a heater to it just in case, and of course LED lights which my terrariums also need anyway.

What is the goon consensus on these low-tech aquariums for someone new to the hobby? I was thinking of starting with a relatively small 22 litre/5.8 gallon tank to begin with, get a ton of plants and let them grow in and cycle the tank for a month or so before adding shrimp, snails and a betta. I've watched countless Youtube videos on the matter but it seems like it's a bit of a fad too so I wanted to check in with you guys to get a second opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is 5.8 gallons too small for a betta and a few cherry shrimp? I'll have plenty of plant cover and hiding spaces for the shrimp but I'm still worried the betta will go for them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you for the feedback. I found a tank that will fit that's 11.1G. If I want a betta and some cherry shrimp, is it going to be a problem that the tank is only ~10 inches/25cm high? I'm looking at a tank that's ~11 inches wide, ~23.6 inches long and ~10 inches high (28*60*25cm).

I'm also open to replacing the betta with some other fish if there are any good contenders for an 11G tank. I'd prefer fish + shrimp to a shrimp-only tank.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 12, 2024

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I know someone with a tank that has cherry shrimp and a betta so it's possible (apparently it depends on the betta's temperament/personality. If it doesn't work, the betta can keep its tank to himself), but his tank is a bit bigger. As long as the betta won't suffer in a tank that size (it's not as high as most 10 gallon tanks) I'm content to try it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

i kinda miss my urchins but i do not miss the male jacking off and releasing sperm clouds every water change. or them eating my sponge filters.

That's hilarious (to read, I'm sure experiencing isn't quite as funny)