Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Not sure if ripariums fit in this thread but it seems the closest.

I've had this running for 6 months or so, albeit with some disruption from a house move in the middle. It's a tiny UNS 25x25cm shallow tank with a mix of easy aquatic plants and terrestrial plants that don't mind getting their feet wet. There were a ton of floating plants but snails hitchhiked in and ate them all.

I do a lot of terrarium stuff but this is my first foray into aquatic things since I was a kid. It's been pretty fun although with some irritating algae challenges and a few dead plants along the way.

No stock other than the snails, although I have plans for a larger pond style riparium with a Betta some time soon.

CaptainTofu fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

It's only around 5 litres of water volume and isn't particularly stable as a result, so I don't think I'd want to stock it with anything. I'd prefer it didn't even have the snails but hitchhikers gonna hitchhike.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

After threatening to build a Betta tank a while back when I posted my nano riparium I actually got myself in gear and did it. Ended up building a 45 litre high tech, with an emmersed section of course!

It's still growing in and a chunk of my Monte carlo carpet towards the back melted during the cycling nitrite spike, but it's coming along. Eventually the sedge should become around 30cm or so tall and the creeping jenny will trail across a lot of the water.

Stem plants are regrowing from a big trim in this crappy photo but you get the general idea

Plants are:
Monte Carlo
S Repens
Limnophilia Heterophylla
Ludwigia mini super red
Some red root floaters that I might get rid of
Creeping jenny
Dwarf blue sedge

Current inhabitants are this cute Betta

And a bunch of amano shrimp

I'm sure artier photos will follow once things are a bit more established, but I wanted to share my progress.

CaptainTofu fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 9, 2023

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Killing any animal because you don't want it any more is really abhorrent behaviour.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Rated PG-34 posted:

Anecdotally, I’ve heard the aquarium coop heaters are poo poo. One of them boiled all the fish of a friend of mine. I wouldn’t use one without secondary temp controller

It's not a good sign when something safety critical is built so badly it fails dangerous rather than safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

I had some particularly aggressive big amano shrimp attack my betta to snatch food from him. I ended up giving them back to the store so he could eat in peace.