Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone know of a good LFS in San Diego to pick up some good rocks/interesting driftwood for a hard scape? I've looked at petkingdom down in sports arena but never found much good there. Alternatively, what online sites do you use that don't charge an arm and a leg?

Aquatic Warehouse had some good stuff the last time I was up there, especially if you're looking for decent smaller pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

Two dead shrimp in as many days :(

I've been putting like four or five different types of food in the tank, and I did have a pretty good brown algae going when I first got them, so they had that to graze on, but do you think they've just been cannibalizing eachother or something hiding in the recesses of my driftwood or something?
I did have at least one escapee several weeks ago but I plopped him back in and he's still around, but I've definitely lost at least 10 shrimp or so from where I started

I am a bad shrimp keeper :(

What kind of shrimp do you have?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

mix of ghost shrimp and neocardinas

Unless you bought them from a specialty breeder, I'd consider ghost shrimp are basically in the same class as feeder goldfish. They can be one of any number of different species that have different needs, they're often overbread, and they just aren't meant to live for very long. If you keep losing them, you probably just got a bad batch and I wouldn't worry too much if everything else looks fine.

If you're losing a lot of neocardinas, then that's a different matter. Those little guys are usually pretty hard to kill. The only think that really stresses mine out are huge water changes and when I move them to a new tank.

Don't worry if your shrimp are hiding. If they're well fed then they'll just wander off and you'll only see a few at a time. You also don't need to feed them all that much or that often, especially in mature tanks with lots of algae and biofilm. Try taking any food you've added out and leaving it for two or three days and then putting in a slice of blanched zucchini or an algae wafer. That should bring them out.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dong Swanson posted:

What the gently caress is this?

I take the coconut out, scrub it down and it comes back within a day. It's only on the coconut and nowhere else on the tank.

Is the coconut new? If it is, some types of natural materials just do that for a while after you first put them in It stops eventually.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dong Swanson posted:

I've had it for about a year, it seems to come back quicker when I have the lights on more often.

It might be starting to break down a bit and has picked up some algae or fungus. Boiling it for a few minutes should kill off anything that's worked its way into the shell.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

Did a tank clean on wednesday night. Counted 7 shrimp, minimum.

Went away for the weekend, came back, didn't see any shrimp. Not even my cool ghost buds that like to hang out.

Did some digging, located two remaining orange neos, possibility of a blue one hiding real good in the black gravel, but also found just the head of a third neo.

Assuming my tetras got hungry while I was gone. Welp.

Sorry to hear it, but at least you can take solace in keeping your tetras well fed.

If you want to hang on to the rest of them, cherry shrimp have a tiny bio load. With the number you have, you can set up a nano aquarium with some java moss and maybe a small sponge filter and they should be happy.

One note for future for future shrimp keeping attempts - people usually don't keep differnt colors of the same species in the same tank. When they crossbreed (and they will) the offspring tends to revert to the brown color they are in the wild.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

RadioPassive posted:

I have also had trouble with shrimp. A bit new to this, set up my first tank a few months ago.

I fishless-cycled a 40 gallon breeder, planted it, added driftwood, and stocked it with 12 Panda Corydoras and a pregnant Red Wagtail Platy. The Platy delivered about 30-50 fry, and I moved her to another tank to protect the fry. I added a handful of live plants, and the cycle seems very healthy.

It was at 0/0/20ppm NH4/NO2/NO3 for a few weeks, now stable at 0/0/0, pH 7.2, GH 3dH, KH 1-2dH.

After a few weeks I added 6 blue velvet shrimp, then collected one dead shrimp about every two days for 12 days :(. The Corys and the Platy fry are all fine.

My guess is the KH is low? But I don’t want to upset other parameters by adjusting my KH because my other animals seem very happy and the pH is real good.

Anyway here’s some pics of Platy fry:

The water hardness isn't optimal, but Neocaridina can tolerate a really wide range of hardness.

However, they're pretty prone to getting stressed when water conditions chage too quickly, like when being moved to a new tank. If they got moved from harder fish store water into your very soft water very quickly, that could have been enough of a shock to cause what you saw.

If you want to try again, you can do a couple hours of drip acclimation before you introduce them, if you didn't before. You might might also want to try some Caridinas. I've never kept them, but they're supposed to really love soft water.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

That's ammonia. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite.

Though I had to buy some overpriced aquarium ammonia like this myself recently since I couldn't find any plain ammonia without soap or detergents in it.

It seems that capitalism has decided that anything that isn't specifically targeted at the aquarium market has to be specifically formulated to murder fish.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've heard mixed rumors about a local aquarium store, but their ad from a week or two ago solidifies my opinion to never go there. They usually run weekend specials that start on Friday, and it's always saltwater animals, but this time they were selling blue linkia starfish for $12 each, limit of one per person.

I don't know anything about saltwater - what's the implication? Is that suspiciously cheap?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I believe they're extremely hard to keep alive, but extremely pretty so people try, and a lot of animals die.

Well that sucks.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Loaches with eye spikes like clowns love snails, but won't be okay in a 10. Loaches without, the more hillstream kinds, can do okay in a 10 gallon (Sewellia lineolata is one) but they won't eat snails.

Has been almost two months since I QT's a bag of java fern. They probably okay to go in normal tanks now, right? Is fishing line the way to attach them to poo poo still?

I've seen a lot of people on youtube using gel super glue to attach things like java ferns and anubias to stuff. Just put a small dab on the surface you want to attach the rhizome to and stick the plant on.

I'm trying it on my new tank. It's only been three weeks, but nothing has died yet.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

I changed from a hygger ‘budget’ light to an aquarium coop light and got a lot of hair algae. I waffled on swapping back but finally did a few days ago and the situation is already noticeably better. Aquarium coop lights all hype smh

The coop light might just have been brighter than your old one. I tend to get hair algae when I have too much light in a tank with too few fast growing plants.

Did you try reducing the intensity a couple notches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Agreed with everything except their heaters, which are not reliable.

I could be wrong, but I think they stopped selling them for that very reason.