Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone have experience with diy co2? I’m using this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpfltN15-8 but not really getting sufficient pressure to consistently drive a neo co2 ceramic diffuser. Maybe I should just use a different diffusion method?

Edit: managed to get some output by just letting the pressure build up overnight, though it’s slightly disappointing output.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How about running a heater on a temperature controller for some extra redundancy

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

yeast and sugar jelly was giving kinda lousy CO2 output so I switched over to a steel canister with baking soda and citric acid. it costs a bit more but it definitely gives me better output and it's easier to regulate.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I do DIY CO2 with a stainless cylinder full of baking soda and citric acid and it works fairly well for a nano setup. Easy to refill and economical. I under inject however bc my shrimp tend to be fairly sensitive to higher CO2. Maybe they don’t like the pH drop.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

New 10g planted. I hope this one doesn’t become a slime mess like my 4g…

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Any ideas on how to limit the spray from the aeration bubbles?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

Are you using a co2 diffuser as an air stone? I’ve seen regular air stone splashing be reduced by using a small takeaway container clear plastic lid with a hole cut in the middle for the airline to go through, it floats at the surface and directs the bubbles outwards. However for the corner of the tank and that kind of flow, it’s a bit more awkward. But, also if that’s your co2 flow that’s too high!

no, it's the aquario air stone. bought it because it looks kinda neat, though I should've got a shorter one.

I guess I could try to 3d print something.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

got some fish and snails for the 60p

Anyone know where to get cheap co2 in the sf Bay Area? I asked the local air gas for pricing and they were about the same/lb as just having sodastream bottles refilled.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Horticulture places.

Speaking of which, I jus came home to find almost all my CPDs dead and the CO2 tank empty. I didn't realize my regulator would fail in that particular way. gently caress.

Rip. Needle valve failure? My first regulator was faulty, but it just leaked co2 from the pressure gauge

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Don’t know yet

Is it a two-stage regulator?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's a Victor welding regulator. Not sure.

If it’s a one stage regulator, low pressure can cause a catastrophic end of tank dump, which might be what happened.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I have the fzone mini two stage one (3.0), but I don’t think I can recommend it after the first one I received was defective and emptied out a bottle

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Moss orb acquired

Edit: any recommendations on what to keep in this 10g? The 3yo kid wants some black fish so I’m thinking Moscow guppies

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 21, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

If you run co2, gotta replace those o-rings every now and then…

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I got some fish! Four little tetras. I brought a water sample in to PetSmart and they tested it then upsold me on some starter bacteria which, fine, it was only $8.

The little guys mostly huddled in the bottom the first day and then yesterday were more active and darting around. Hopefully that means they were exploring their new area and not trying to escape a hostile environment.

But one of them was dead this morning. :( The other three all seemed fine and thinking back yesterday afternoon I did notice that three of them were sticking together pretty much constantly but one was going off on its own more and more. I'm "hoping" this means that I just got one that was at the end of its life but I'm still worried what I'll find when I get home this afternoon.

I got some harlequin rasboras from petsmart and I had a loss everyday until I tossed in a trio of meds: specifically, Maracyn, ParaCleanse, and Ich-X. Not sure exactly what was doing them in, but I suspect parasites.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I fed the fish and one of them freaked out and flipped upside down and sank to the bottom where he sat for a few minutes. He’s back to normal now at least. Is this swim bladder disease?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

I fed the fish and one of them freaked out and flipped upside down and sank to the bottom where he sat for a few minutes. He’s back to normal now at least. Is this swim bladder disease?

This happened again, but I saw what happened. The fish got over excited, hit the back glass and got concussed. I guess I shouldn’t use this food as they go too crazy over it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I picked up a pearlscale (such cuties) and a red oranda at the local pond store for my 35g outdoor container pond. I stuck a eheim 200w heater in since I heard 5 watt per gallon is a good guide but maybe it’s a bit overkill? Could I save a bit of of electricity money with a smaller heater? Temps overnight here can get down to about freezing in the winter (Bay Area).

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 30, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Goldfish have acclimated to their pond fairly well I think. Still need to come up with a couple names. They're definitely on the more fearless side. My 3yo kid can grab at them and they don't react much.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Found 3 baby guppies hanging out. Just got a couple of guppies like 2 weeks ago. P stoked

(baby guppy photog is hard)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

these blue dream (BP’s line of blue velvet neocaridina) skrimps I got from BucePlant are really top notch. A+, somewhat pricey but recommended

Pics soon

Ymmv bc I got a batch recently and it wasn’t so great. Got a couple really small ones and what I’d consider to be lower grade and looking more like blue rili shrimp.

The fire reds they sent me were great otoh

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Prof. Banks posted:

My mom bought a couple of cheap tanks at an auction and decided to gift one to my son for his birthday. She outfitted the tank with a little bubbler, a bit of decor, and went and bought a couple of feeder goldfish from petsmart. My son loved it. I wish I'd gotten it on camera, he was instantly enamored and stated that it was "just what I've always wanted". But beyond buying the sad little goldfish the tank was not cycled, didn't have a filter, and was only a gallon in size. Poor fish didn't make it a week. :(

Sad as it is, seeing his reaction reignited my love of aquariums, so I've set out to do it again and do it right. I went out and bought a 9 gallon fluval flex and I'm going slowly to build it up as it should. I want to do a planted tank and I could use some feedback and advice. My family and I have had aquariums off and on since before I was born, but they've always been either your standard plastic plant and little diver statuettes or get some fish from the pond and toss them into a bare tank (these were display tanks for my Grandpa's hatchery, not long term habitats). Suffice it to say a natural looking planted tank is new to me, as is actually reading about it instead of working off what I've picked up just having them around over the years.

Here's my tank so far.
Front

Right side

Left side

I set it up last night. Added the hardscape (all dragon rock), substrate (fluval bio stratum), plants (spiral vallisnaria, duckweed, red root floaters, water lettuce, java Fern, and a couple of freebies the fish shop guy threw in that I've forgotten the names of), and bacterial cycle starter (Tetra Safe Start). I plan on letting it go for a few weeks to get established and then add a few fish.

Anyone see anything wrong with it so far?
Is it ok that my floaters are moving around in the eddy current?
How do you suggest getting plants to stay down in the substrate?

Seems like you could use more substrate

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

2 inches is fine. It's hard to tell from your photos.

I find having a very pointy pair of aquarium pinsettes helps for planting. Plant at a 45 degree angle and go about as deep as you can.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I have really bad luck with harlequin rasbora. They spook really easily and will concuss themselves on the glass or jump to their doom. At the moment, I have some plastic wrap over the top to prevent jumping, but I hope to take it off soon (and prepare for some losses)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Welp, lost a pearlscale goldfish, rip. Water parameters all normal. I think a 35g (heated) container pond just isn’t suitable for fancy goldfish with the temp swings around here in the Bay Area

Edit: maybe I should’ve had the heater set on something higher like 72 instead of 65

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 12, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Dunno about 35g container pond but I have 3 fancy goldfish (1 oranda and 2 Sarasa Comet) and seeing 55-90F temp swings mostly daily in the inland bay area, maybe the additional 100g water mass is enough of a buffer

You don’t bother with a heater? Whereabouts are you? I’m in Dublin.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

goldfish are famously cold water fish

like the archetypal “cold water fish”

in the summertime in hot climates people run chillers on their tanks to keep their temps subtropical

(TLDR, I don’t think having a heater “too low” at 65 in Bay Area summer is the problem)

Maybe the water just got too hot then :(

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I have a bunch of water pond plants you can have

Note two platinum rice fish near bottom of photo

Plants do triple duty:

1 hide fish from predators
2 slurp up 99% of fish pee
3 shades the pond keeping water temps way way down

I thought what I have was providing sufficient shade but perhaps not

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 12, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The container pond is actually on a covered patio so only gets like direct sun for a few hours a day. Just moved it now so that it gets less direct sun.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

My goldfish who were previously kind of skittish around us have suddenly become obsessed with nibbling on us. They will methodically nibble all over hands or feet put into the pond, it's pretty cute. It's been ridiculously hot recently so we'll often sit outside with our feet in the cold pond to thermoregulate.

Oh also the fish love these frozen yogurt things. We give them the sticks with a little left on them and they go berserk.

looks like you got a nice fish spa now

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Saltwater is going better. The ninety cube is looking good

Nice. How much does a setup like that cost?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

For a moment I thought I could buy sth to mine crypto and light my tank at the same time

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My big leather coral had an injury that I was keeping an eye on. Not sure how it got it, maybe it somehow got into a power head. It turns out leather corals release toxins when injured and it really hurt the Duncan coral it was next to.

Sometimes this hobby is rough.

Injured leather yesterday, healthy Duncan coral.

Half nuked Duncan coral. FML.

looks rough but at least it didn't poisoned you

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I changed from a hygger ‘budget’ light to an aquarium coop light and got a lot of hair algae. I waffled on swapping back but finally did a few days ago and the situation is already noticeably better. Aquarium coop lights all hype smh

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Weembles posted:

The coop light might just have been brighter than your old one. I tend to get hair algae when I have too much light in a tank with too few fast growing plants.

Did you try reducing the intensity a couple notches?

I think the hygger light is running brighter actually

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

pastor of muppets posted:

Update: tank fully cycled in about four weeks, is now home to these guys

What a qt. How do you keep your water cool?

Did the weekly 30% water change today and got a jumper (harlequin rasbora). Rip. I need the Foxconn playbook to prevent these

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I stuffed about 20 young guppies in my 150g unheated container pond but I suspect they may have all been eaten by the shubunkin goldfish. I guess that’s one way of dealing with guppy overpopulation

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

a handful hitch hiked into mine with the duckweed I was scooping out of my guppy tank to feed to my comets. The guppies still show up when I feed the pond, so :shrug: life, uh, finds a way?

fed the pond just now and saw one guppy so they're not all dead at least.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Prof. Banks posted:

What's the word on a cheapish light for a standard 10 gallon tank?

I'm setting up an old tank of mine for my classroom. Today I transferred a few plants from home and loled out loud at how pathetically inadequate the old florescent light obviously was when I turned it on.

So far the hygger I bought has been holding up. Can’t speak too much about longevity as I’ve only had it for about 5 months. Also, it might burn down my house in the near future with how hot it runs. The version I have is also a bitch to program (programmable version). Otherwise it’s been great bang for buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

As I understand, you’ll want to size the uv light to the pump you use and the amount of water you want to clarify.