Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've just created a new tank, since I had lots of guppies in an outdoor pond. Long story short: bought a $10 plastic water barrel from a hardware store, filled it plants, a solar pump and 4 guppies. Now I have over 40 guppies. Had lots of rain, lots of summer heat and birds drinking/eating the bigger fish. Now the water is putrid and I don't want the little ones to suffer, so I moved them up inside to a nice tank.

Tank is 52L, 3 days new at this stage. My tap water is really bad so I'm constantly fighting dodgy ph levels so far. Everything else seems stable. Only have 9 guppy fry in at the moment, but they're slow getting more comfortable in the clean water. Only issue I have is that the pump that came with the tank has an output nozzle/valve that I imagine would be connected to an airstone, but has a constant strong flow. Really aerates the water which I like, but can be a bit much for such little fish. They hide out in the plants and around the "wood" and seem comfortable with it now anyway.

So I guess that's my question for the thread.. the output nozzle is I think 20mm but all the PVC airline pipe is only 4mm. Is there a connector I can get that has a big 20mm end and a 4mm end? I don't know what to search for, but surely plumbing supplies must have something like that?

Anyways, here's some pictures:
The stump on the left is from my 30year old aquarium from 1991.

This is one of the bigger fry, it's colours starting to come in.

I love watching mystery snails:
https://i.imgur.com/HXMRvt0.mp4

It's been really great setting this up and watching a biome be created. plus it's nice to focus on something other than the outside world for a change :)

toggle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Out of the water, apparently.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

It looks to me like you have a Venturi style fitting on the outlet of your pump. It’s a neat little arrangement where the shape of the fitting creates a little area of low pressure, so the flow of water itself is enough to draw air in through the 4mm air tube (or if you have no air tube connected it will just suck water in, if it is in water). The result is more bubbles in the output, and more aeration of the water. I think you might have a valve on the end of your air tube to control how much air is drawn in. You can’t really force that bubbly water through an air stone, although you could probably use a spray bar to distribute the water more evenly in a series of smaller more gentle jets of water.

I guess my question is, where’s your filtration? All I’m seeing is a powerhead with a strainer on the inlet. You could be directing the flow out of that powerhead into a trickle filter that sits above your tank holding biological media, or pushing it in reverse through a sponge filter that sits in your tank. Putting a pre-filter sponge over that strainer will also protect fry and provide surface area for bacteria, while mechanically filtering and protecting your pump. Anything that gets a flow of water through a place with a lot of surface area for bacteria to grow is going to help.

Or, unless, I’m misunderstanding you and you have a giant air pump that isn’t pictured, in which case you can get like a manifold splitter type of thing and put multiple airlines and multiple valves to control the flow (and have one airline venting the excess flow to the air). Having a couple of air driven sponge filters would be plenty for a fry tank and if the air pump is big enough you can run multiple tanks from it.

I’ve been through the guppy population explosion too so I always try to point out this aspect of keeping guppies to newer fish keepers. You either have to have a lot of room for them, or have plans to control the population in some way. My current guppy population are in a 3 foot tank and I am probably going to move them to a 4 foot tank once the rosy barbs that are there are moved to the pond. Guppies aren’t cold tolerant enough to be outside all year around here whereas rosy barbs should be fine.

That's exactly how the output valve is, an air tube with with a control valve that dangles around the back.

Filter wise, there is a drip filter in the lid, with the sponge/media filtering it all. I'll look at adding something over the strainer, at this stage most of the fish are too young to start pumpin out babies, but who knows. ...they are all siblings, which won't seem to stop them when the time comes..

Thanks for the suggestions!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've now added couple of albino catfish. Will need more I think :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

He's gone to ludicrous speed!

He never stops!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve been having ph issues after a water change on Saturday. I’ve treated it etc.. but just found out that my town water is going through the main treatment plant in the city, instead of the local island/sand filtered water near me. Great :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I have an albino cory question... or rather, more pointing out their weird behaviours and if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

So, when the lights are on during the day (11am to 3pm) they're very chilled out, the usual cory sleeping and grazing stuff. But the moment the lights go out they go crazy. One hangs out near the heater going up and down and nibbling the weeds at the top of the tank. He/she has now trained the other ones to nibble the weed at the top of the tank too - the weed does clump together and cover one end of the tank, so maybe there's safety in the cover? Another one frantically grazes non-stop and every space seems to get vacuumed.

In the day time they're so peaceful, but night time they're off tap. I thought it could be an oxygen issue since they're hanging around the top of the tank, but they only do this behaviour when the lights are off and at night, and don't seem to be gasping for air any other time. My water is fairly good, the PH is a bit hard, but other than that it's really stable. I've had all 3 for about 18 months now and they're all healthy and seem very stress free. It's just really strange, but it is cool to see these little fish having their own unique personalities.