Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Neon green kubotai rasboras are small too but I’ve not kept them myself.

I've got a dozen or so in a 40 gal, they're ok. I love the color, but they're pretty boring until it's time to feed them and they turn into a pack of piranhas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

pastor of muppets posted:

BEHOLD

These guys are all about 6.5 months old and they are between 9 and 10 inches long. They are monstrously HUGE.

So far I’m pretty sure I have two males and two females: the leucistic and the wild type look female, and the mel and goldie look like males. Will give it a couple more months before I call it officially but in the meantime I’m setting up another tank so I can split them up by sex.

Goddamn, they're like real life pokemon. Did you buy them or are you breeding them? My wife was dead set on getting a couple before I convinced her that we should start with real fish first. I would love to see the tank, if you have pics!

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I bought one of these last year and it’s been a total gamechanger for water changes

This isn't the pump I have, but yeah. I got a utility pump a few months ago, it's taken almost all of the work out of water changes.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Prof. Banks posted:

Yeah, you've gotta remember that getting with your sibling is pretty common amongst animals, especially as you get to smaller and "simpler" species. It usually will cause problems eventually, but it might take a bunch of generations.

For example, when you do scientific research, you want to minimize absolutely any differences you can. Because of this, if animals are involved, you want them to be as similar as possible. In mice, different strains are established by breeding brother to sister for 20-30 generations. By then their genetics of any two individuals are very, very similar to one another. Mutations do arise (and are often the point), but some are completely fine. You can keep on inbreeding them to keep the strain going. Your classic white lab mouse strain was developed nearly 100 years ago and some lines are at 200+ generations.

This rules, I was wondering yesterday if I was going to accidentally create habsburg endlers if I didn't add more soon.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Did it lay eggs? The only thing I know about axolotls is that they're cute as gently caress

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

We had to get some floating cages to keep our water lettuce away from where the HOB dumps. The duckweed doesn't care about that though, and just goes where it wants.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

My tank is filtered and I knew almost nothing about growing plants, but I was able to create almost that exact tank in 15 gallons. I assume you won't have any difficulties with one of those.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I think it really depends on the betta. We've got 3 bettas, 2 are doing great in community tanks and one needs to be kept in solitary because she'll kill anything she can.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

So one of my bettas has twice now wedged herself into a place she couldn't get out of. Do they learn from near-death lessons or do I need to adjust my hardscape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

For an amazon sword I use root tabs from Aquarium Coop. They're basically fertilizer pills that don't hurt fish, you just shove a pill or 2 in the dirt and bury a plant nearby. For liquid fert, I use Thrive shrimp safe, but pretty much anything without copper should be sufficient, assuming your fish don't have any special requirements.