Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's almost like they were making the show up as they went. That can't be, though. That's illegal!

Um, I think you'll find the Constructicons' multiple origins were highly planned. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like it's weird for Orion Pax to have a normal name-name and then everyone else has Star Wars droid serial numbers so they all need individual origins for getting names.

Although I guess in the original it was also weird for Orion Pax to apparently have a first name and a last name when the majority of characters just had one word names.
We'll find out that claiming to have a name is what got him into trouble in the first place or something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

Um, I think you'll find the Constructicons' multiple origins were highly planned. :colbert:

Also how many Constructicons there are and whether they built Megatron or joined him by being made evil.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it weird I don't really care about the movie? Haven't even watched the trailer. I'm just here for the toys, man.

(And even then, that's in decreasing amounts as the years go by and I finally start to comprehend that I'm chasing diminishing returns on extracting joy from consumer goods)

Should probably check out the Skybound comic at some point but I'm barely ever on my home computer any more and my phone is not ideal for visual media. They put out a TPB yet?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Knormal posted:

I am a little weirded out by Alpha Trion apparently being a unicorn wolf, maybe lion, thing, but then there were some shots of some cyber-gazelles or something so they're clearly going for the version of Cybertron where it's more of a full-fledged robot ecosystem and not just full of Quintesson-made workers.

That altmode is basically his Titan Returns figure, which itself is a reference to a cancelled Botcon 2001 toy that would have made him a Beast Machines Snarl repaint (for the Lion/Trion pun):

In 2014, Botcon did their own follow-up to the canceled Snarl repaint by making "Alpha Trizer", which in the lore is apparently who Cheetor becomes when he's older.

So I actually wouldn't be surprised if the leaked listing for an Alpha Trion figure next year makes him a Thundertron retool.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I’ve got the Titans returns figure. It’s inexplicable, weird and I like it.

This is also the reason I have longrack from neo.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Phy posted:

Should probably check out the Skybound comic at some point but I'm barely ever on my home computer any more and my phone is not ideal for visual media. They put out a TPB yet?

You can't always enjoy everything but there is so much TF stuff out there something is bound to click for you, that's the good part of the franchise. There's always something else!

In this case, the comic by Skybound definitely will meet your needs. The first six issues are out! No TPB yet I think but if you want to see what it's like, the first arch is done and dusted.

It it doing well? Issue one is on reprint five.

I repeat, REPRINT FIVE.

So yes, it's doing drat great. More and more people are learning about it and loving it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phy posted:

Is it weird I don't really care about the movie? Haven't even watched the trailer. I'm just here for the toys, man.

(And even then, that's in decreasing amounts as the years go by and I finally start to comprehend that I'm chasing diminishing returns on extracting joy from consumer goods)

No, that's definitely very normal.

It's also normal to maybe have your opinions on hobbies drift over time as you grow as a person and your values change, and you should be willing to revisit things and judge whether you want to keep going.

Although I've also been less satisfied with transformers lately and I feel like it's not so much me changing as it is Hasbro's output being unsatisfying to me lately, since in the last year I've also been getting into gundams, which have less features to play with, but fancy designs and lower prices, while Hasbro has been reducing complexity and raising prices.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, this movie gives me the same vibes as the recent Turtles movie, except without the striking art style. And that was pretty good (I know other people gushed profusely over it, but it's not my favourite take on the property, but it had a clear vision and executed that well)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

No, that's definitely very normal.

It's also normal to maybe have your opinions on hobbies drift over time as you grow as a person and your values change, and you should be willing to revisit things and judge whether you want to keep going.

Although I've also been less satisfied with transformers lately and I feel like it's not so much me changing as it is Hasbro's output being unsatisfying to me lately, since in the last year I've also been getting into gundams, which have less features to play with, but fancy designs and lower prices, while Hasbro has been reducing complexity and raising prices.
I'm in a similar position to you, right down to getting a random gundam kit that looked cool and just really enjoying the build experience. I have zero attachment to the franchise though... which is why I'm eyeing up the Bandai Macross kits :negative:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm in a similar position to you, right down to getting a random gundam kit that looked cool and just really enjoying the build experience. I have zero attachment to the franchise though... which is why I'm eyeing up the Bandai Macross kits :negative:

Make sure you check somre reviews on the Macross stuff. Not all Macross toys are produced equally and some companies that do it are not so great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

We'll find out that claiming to have a name is what got him into trouble in the first place or something.

I am not a number! I am a free bot!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

I am not a number! I am a free bot!

I will not be spun, twisted, flipped, tabbed, folded, unfolded or swung. My mode is my own.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
looking at stills, I have to say I'm very interested in how they've got the G1 look for a lot of my favorites. I will still never understand why the designs of Shockwave happen with such a tiny head and a massive chest, unless that's where his brain actually is.

My mom, who doesn't usually have the best taste in movies, did watch the trailer, and said it looks cute and entertaining, kind of like she feels about detective Pikachu. she knows pokémon and transformers about on the same level, but was able to definitely appreciate and loved the movie detective Pikachu, even going in only knowing the fact that Pikachu is the yellow one.

with this one, she got the idea pretty quickly that there are four friends on the lower slums, who get chosen to have superpowers, and end up on a grand adventure which sums up a lot of movies. honestly. It does look fun, it doesn't look horribly pandering, and I enjoy the fact you can actually see the faces on these guys and it's not some weird CGI mashup like Michael Bay. that said, I forgot to mention Michael Bay had nothing to do with this, so when I told a friend that I was actually looking for to this transformers movie, he thought I was sick because both of us absolutely hate the bay ones.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
One thing people tend to miss is how Bumblebee's battle mask is his Goldbug head.

The film overall seems to have used numerous influences from previous TF media from all over.

That's the nice thing about a franchise that has gone this long, you can pick and choose all over from various TF storylines etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh yeah, no, for sure. Honestly the most fun I get out of transformers these days is messing around with the best of the stuff I already own (Kingdom Rodimus has not gone to the basement since I bought him) and shooting the poo poo with you all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Last Call posted:

Make sure you check somre reviews on the Macross stuff. Not all Macross toys are produced equally and some companies that do it are not so great.
I'm not talking about the toys, I'm talking about the Bandai kits that are designed similar to Gundam stuff. Even if they're poo poo to play with I'll have fun building them.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

For me, the thing that I think makes TF One less likely to rise above standard kids' fare into "future classic" status is the writers.

Its got three writers - Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari (whose most notable/relevant work prior to this was being two of five writers on Ant Man & The Wasp), and Bobby Rubio, who's been an animator and storyboard artist at Disney and Pixar since the 90's, but whose only screenplay credit is an episode of Pixar's SparkShorts series.

That's not to say they couldn't knock this one out of the park, but one of the writers is primarily a visual storyteller, and the other two are the kind of screenwriters who do some uncredited rewrites, and then get attached to a bunch of studio projects that never end up seeing the light of day.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Sup ladies?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Joe Fisto posted:

Sup ladies?

This is traumatic. I have a cousin who died, broke his neck trying to do that.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Transformers yoga.

It's a lost art.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You'd think Gears wouldn't be so grumpy if he can do that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Phy posted:

It’s really good, and I’m not a big fan of Transformers media.

The TPB comes out May 21st, and it’s only like $16.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
This is certainly an altmode. Bot mode is great on this guy though.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I remember thinking to myself many years ago.

Why are Transformers changing into things that we reconize, that have doors for humans, windows and the like.
Why not make them have true Cybertronian modes that make sense?

I have since come to reconize the folly of this thinking.

Bot mode is cool, pretty hard to mess that up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Joe Fisto posted:

This is certainly an altmode. Bot mode is great on this guy though.

That's a great Vanu Sovereignty tank.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the core class version pulls it off a little better, though they're both better than the original Prime version

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I actually like the original version as a "robot who can turn into an artillery alternate mode", even if it is clearly shockwave laying down. it kinda sells it to me regardless even if it isn't perfect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Animated version is the best execution of that idea, IMO.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

The Animated version is the best execution of that idea, IMO.

I never got any of the animated toys (except for Purple Slug from the Secret Santa) but any robit that transforms into a more different robit is cool in my book

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
4 modes in a deluxe is incredibly ambitious, and the fact that all four look decent is amazing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a problem for a lot of 'cybertronian' modes where they don't dedicate many pieces to making the altmode look like A Thing because they're comfortable with cybertronian vehicles looking like a jumble of parts, but the choice to extremely obviously put his big robot feet on display out there and keep his wheels out on spindly limbs is really weird to me. Weirder than Hasbro's H-tanks usually are.

I liked a lot of the spaceship Shockwaves.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Just picked up an Alternators Ravage (cat version) and boy is this toy a janky piece of poo poo. And I absolutely love it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i am sure g1 and animated did it, but i love the little added touches in Prime with background poo poo, like Knock Out inspecting his talons or the Insecticons shaking off their wings. Shockwave and his goddamn dragon. The way his optic flashes when said dragon gets loving booted to the Artic and he absolutely curb-stomps the Bots responsible. Dude has some emotion. Pissed is an emotion.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a problem for a lot of 'cybertronian' modes where they don't dedicate many pieces to making the altmode look like A Thing because they're comfortable with cybertronian vehicles looking like a jumble of parts.

Quite. I just do not - cannot - care about Cybertron modes in the main, it misses the point for me. The trick is taking something everyday, that is known to us and secretly making a cool robot out of it. Robots In Disguise as what, weird alien poo poo I have no frame of reference for? It's low effort, I'm not fussed.

:shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sentinel Red posted:

Quite. I just do not - cannot - care about Cybertron modes in the main, it misses the point for me. The trick is taking something everyday, that is known to us and secretly making a cool robot out of it. Robots In Disguise as what, weird alien poo poo I have no frame of reference for? It's low effort, I'm not fussed.

:shrug:

Yeah this is me pretty much. I was always fan of vehicle mode first, robot mode second. Didn't really care if the robot was janky as a kid, I had a semi truck and pistol that turned into robots.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Eh, robots in disguise kind of went out the window in 1986 when everything was neon and futuristic.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Cybertronian modes, Gamer Edition Sideswipe and Concept Art Sunstreaker arrived a little while ago.

Sideswipe is pretty good, feels like he belongs with Bumblebee/Cliffjumper. Kind of a round long-legged Mike Wakowski look. The backpack is a little big, including the fringe, but acceptable. His forearm can store on his back instead of his gun, and with the hand folded in, it sort of looks like an added capsule or something he's carrying. The hips on mine are suuuuper loose, time to floor wax. Very interesting transformation! Worth a look.

Sunstreaker is amazing. Minimal backpack, good proportions. No wrist swivel due to transformation, and the underside of his forearms are hollow... again due to transformation. But that's it. Terrific figure in both modes, not gonna say "good like Triggerhappy" but, I will strongly imply it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Eh, robots in disguise kind of went out the window in 1986 when everything was neon and futuristic.
And it sucked then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Yellow car man