Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My experiences having access to both CamWorks and MasterCAM in 2019 had me hating CAMWorks forever purely because of how absolutely unintuitive the lead-in/lead-out logic works in CAMWorks is and the fact that something as simple as a setup sheet editor is completely unavailable for it (while that is included with MasterCAM).

Also toolpath patterns. AlphaCAM of all things had that figured out in 2010 and CAMWorks forces only one type of pattern logic when it comes to tool path sorting.

But yeah, all CAM software is geared towards the idea of you using it full time.

I miss the CAM package for Solidworks that Autodesk bought and then dismantled just so Solidworks users couldn't have it anymore. HSMWrks, I think it was called? That one was pretty slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it was HSMWorks and it was fantastic.

Technically you can still buy HSMWorks for SolidWorks from Autodesk. But of course it has only the barest minimum of support and it hasn't been updated in years and I suspect it'll be totally dead soon. gently caress you Autodesk.

The Fusion 360 CAM, which is HSMWorks, is the best CAM package there is (because it's HSMWorks -- Autodesk themselves could never have come up with it), but Fusion 360 is only a so-so host for it, and of course since it's Autodesk they're gradually locking all the features behind token-based paywall subscriptions and other horrendous poo poo.

CAMWorks is terrible. Worse than nothing.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
At the hobby end of things there’s also Estlcam - which is pretty basic but easy to use and cheap. I’ve used it for carving and it came out fine.

The makers of lightburn are also working on a version for spindles instead lasers which could be handy.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Karia posted:

most of the time the best software is the one you're most familiar with, IMO.

Ain’t that the fucken truth. There’s a lot of great software out there and the one you’re actually producing parts with is the best one there is in that moment.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rapulum_Dei posted:

At the hobby end of things there’s also Estlcam - which is pretty basic but easy to use and cheap. I’ve used it for carving and it came out fine.

The makers of lightburn are also working on a version for spindles instead lasers which could be handy.

I would like this a lot because a. I've already paid for LB, and b. one fewer piece of software to run on this lovely little laptop.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rapulum_Dei posted:

What's the one that comes with those silly machines sold by places like Rockler for doing craft projects? That one was surprisingly intuitive and even had post processors built in for HAAS machines.

Edit: Vcarve!Scarves!

Edit: I think it even has the 2d image tracer someone was asking about before?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 16, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So, do lasers count for this thread? I don't think they really fit in the 3D printing thread.

Something I've been working on for a while. It uses a living-hinge box cut out on the laser, and then sublimation print for the logo.

I think it turned out pretty well, and you don't even need to treat the wood, since it's porous enough on its own to take the ink.

Now I just need to figure out how to get/keep my 1.6mm plywood flat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, do lasers count for this thread? I don't think they really fit in the 3D printing thread.

Something I've been working on for a while. It uses a living-hinge box cut out on the laser, and then sublimation print for the logo.

I think it turned out pretty well, and you don't even need to treat the wood, since it's porous enough on its own to take the ink.

Now I just need to figure out how to get/keep my 1.6mm plywood flat.

That looks great and of course it counts!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I switched up laser beds from the shallow vent to the honeycomb and the smoke staining has been almost eliminated.

I like the shallow vent bed, but it doesn't get the smoke out of the way quickly enough for a full cut. Which sucks because it's like 1/8th the thickness of the honeycomb.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I'm very much a novice, but I primarily use HSMworks and think it has a very intuitive work flow, and the direct integration with Solidworks is a plus.

I'm trying to learn Mastercam, but it seems like it's been designed by a bunch of old greybeards who daily drive unix terminals and turn up their noses to things like "modern GUI's"

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There’s definitely a distinct phenomenon where CAM software was all designed for the same set of American old heads for a few decades for various reasons, but now they’re all dying or retiring.

I’ve heard that the Practical Machinist forums have crazy sway with MasterCAM, but I don’t really hang out over there. Maybe that’s changed with the Sandvik takeover?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I used to do a lot of masterCAM programming and my only tip is that it has a really weird but consistent internal logic. If you approach it from the perspective of modern software and UX its terrible and you'll be endlessly frustrated, but if you try to understand the underlying philosophy of the software it beings to flow a little better. It's been too long since I've used it regularly to articulate things, just sharing what helped me keep from throwing the computer in the dumpster when I was using it daily.

I always wanted to run it integrated with Solidworks but had issues where rebuilding sketches would sometimes cause my toolpaths to need to be regenerated, which for large HSM toolpaths was very time consuming, and with adapting clearance would mean every other toolpath also needed to regen if an early one did. Part of the issue was having a weird workflow where I was programming and running the machine doing large composite molds, so I'd often program my main roughing path and while that ran for a couple hours I'd program all the finishing stuff, so having early toolpaths regen could lead to lost information on what was actually cleared out in my roughing cycle. Ways to work around it but frustrating for sure.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If it makes you feel any better, the MasterCAM + SOLIDWORKS integration isn’t a problem anymore because the add-in lost support from MasterCAM after SW 2019

bred
Oct 24, 2008
lol we were stuck on 2019 for years while we waited for them to figure out something in the machine shop. We're barely on 2021 now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Another big milestone today, the epoxy pour!

My concrete work could have been better. I haven’t worked with it before this project, so it was kinda lumpy.

The epoxy dye I purchased was less opaque than advertised, which is also a bummer. I’ve only ever cast epoxy, so I should have been more patient but overall I think we’re in good shape.

Is a smooth path provided for coolant to the drains? You betcha. It’s not totally clear, but any exposed aggregate has been sealed with epoxy already as well.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

looking forward to further developments on the cronenberg meatmill

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh calling it VideoDRO is a good idea

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Death to VideoDRO! Long live the new carbide!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If all goes well I will soon own a clapped out but running 1997 Fadal CNC Mill. Spindle is in bad shape and the rest of it prob aint much better but itll change tools and move. I want to eventually retrofit it and use it to learn some intricacies of machine tool design/building so its sorta like buying a smoking, 6 cyl 67 mustang. Come with a bunch of tooling....tooling that shows a distinct wear pattern on the tool holder.

Also my baby lathe came in last night. XPost from metalworking thread:

CarForumPoster posted:

New machine day!

Wish me luck!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Best of luck to your fingers.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Best of luck to your (remaining) fingers.

Not emptyquoting

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I bought the 11,000 Lb Fadal 4020. The rigging company has ghosted me.

Two others I spoke to also ghosted me.

Also I got a bunch of tooling with the mill so that’s p sweet. Pics to come prob tomorrow.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 1, 2024

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
I have always wanted a 5 axis setup for milling. So I finally built one. The main parts were a Sumitomo F1C-A 35 cycloidal reducer and a Yaskawa 750W sigma 7 servo. Both were things I had acquired through auction winnings so had minimal cost.

Start with some blocks of steel:

Load onto the mill:

Ready for roughing:

Roughing complete:

Post stress relief heat treat:

Finishing Op 1 complete:

Finishing Op 2 complete:

Finishing Op3 complete:

Lower cover Op1:

Lower cover Op2 roughing:

Lower cover Op2 finished:

Assembly in progress:

Belt assembly:

Bottom cover on:

All done and moving (slowly for initial testing):
https://i.imgur.com/2NnPydt.mp4

The real test will be when I start milling something with it. Indicating the table surface shows that it is square to around 0.0008"/6" which is well within my expectations. Most of the work I plan to do on it is in the range of 1" cube so that level of accuracy should be fine.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Holy moly way to make us all look bad. That is incredible.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh HELL yeah, that rules

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ZincBoy posted:

I have always wanted a 5 axis setup for milling. So I finally built one. The main parts were a Sumitomo F1C-A 35 cycloidal reducer and a Yaskawa 750W sigma 7 servo. Both were things I had acquired through auction winnings so had minimal cost.

All done and moving (slowly for initial testing):
https://i.imgur.com/2NnPydt.mp4

This is fantastic! You still running LinuxCNC? How much was involved controller and wiring wise in getting the 4th and 5th axis able to make parts?

Also, did you send out for the heat treat or DIY?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 5, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am reporting this post for obviously not being "hobby" anything :mad:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Sagebrush posted:

Seriously. What a jerk!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

:hellyeah: Seriously nice work, please keep us posted as you get it tuned in and tested.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

Reminds me of the "DIYEXTREME" YouTube channel that over a million dollars in lathes, workshop and welding equipment, but they posted fun time-lapse set to rock music.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

CarForumPoster posted:

This is fantastic! You still running LinuxCNC? How much was involved controller and wiring wise in getting the 4th and 5th axis able to make parts?

Yes, still running LinuxCNC. It is not too much harder to add the 4th and 5th axis on the basic 3. The 7i77 Mesa Electronics IO card has 6 analog interfaces, 5 for the axis and one for the spindle. I do need to add another 7i84 IO expander because I am completely out and can't finish setting up the 5th axis brake.

Here is a shot of part of the main control cabinet with the interface boards. There is a sub panel for the tool changer as well.

CarForumPoster posted:

Also, did you send out for the heat treat or DIY?

I did the heat treat myself. Picked up a kiln on kijiji for next to nothing and added a PID controller. Works great for bigger parts but it takes forever to heat up.

Sagebrush posted:

I believe that everyone should have a 7ton machining centre in their house :colbert: The funny thing is that everyone asks me what I make with these tools and the answer is always more tools. I built the 5th axis so I could experiment with making rollerdrive style reducers to make a more dedicated 5 axis machine. I still have a way to go until I get to Dan Gelbart's level though.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What kind of steel did you use? Is it going to get some kind of surface finish?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ZincBoy posted:

Yes, still running LinuxCNC. It is not too much harder to add the 4th and 5th axis on the basic 3. The 7i77 Mesa Electronics IO card has 6 analog interfaces, 5 for the axis and one for the spindle. I do need to add another 7i84 IO expander because I am completely out and can't finish setting up the 5th axis brake.

Here is a shot of part of the main control cabinet with the interface boards. There is a sub panel for the tool changer as well.

I did the heat treat myself. Picked up a kiln on kijiji for next to nothing and added a PID controller. Works great for bigger parts but it takes forever to heat up.

I believe that everyone should have a 7ton machining centre in their house :colbert: The funny thing is that everyone asks me what I make with these tools and the answer is always more tools. I built the 5th axis so I could experiment with making rollerdrive style reducers to make a more dedicated 5 axis machine. I still have a way to go until I get to Dan Gelbart's level though.

You’re where I want to be next year when I get the Fadal 4020 in here. I even have a 4th axis but no card, plan is a Linux CNC retrofit at some point after I get the mechanicals dialed in.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

ryanrs posted:

What kind of steel did you use? Is it going to get some kind of surface finish?

The bulk of it is just 1018 mild steel. Nothing fancy. The table is 4140HT as I wanted it to be a bit harder. The plan is to paint it with some macropoxy 646 but that will depend on me getting around to it. Really, it would be fine as is as the coolant has quite a bit of corrosion inhibitors in it.

CarForumPoster posted:

You’re where I want to be next year when I get the Fadal 4020 in here. I even have a 4th axis but no card, plan is a Linux CNC retrofit at some point after I get the mechanicals dialed in.

I started with a Hitachi-Sekei VK45 that was mechanically okay but the control was partially dead. The x axis would run away as the controller output to the drive was stuck at +15V. The tool changer didn't work because a bunch of the SSRs were burnt out. And the spindle drive was dead. I got it for pretty much the scrap metal price so it was worth a shot.

In my case, there was a 4th axis installed in the machine but it was sold before I got it. I ended up getting the original 4th axis a year or so ago as the guy that bought it never got it running. That is the one shown with the new 5th axis. Why a 30" class machine was sold with a 320mm rotary table is a mystery to me.

Here you can see the original servo drives for XYZA and the new drive shoehorned in on the right. They are all analog drives so really easy to use. If they ever die, I will replace them with either DMM or Yaskawa depending on what I can get.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ZincBoy posted:

I'm hearing you say that home machining is a lot like 3d printing and I get that

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ZincBoy posted:

In my case, there was a 4th axis installed in the machine but it was sold before I got it. I ended up getting the original 4th axis a year or so ago as the guy that bought it never got it running. That is the one shown with the new 5th axis. Why a 30" class machine was sold with a 320mm rotary table is a mystery to me.

Yea I’m surprised with how much z clearance you have. That 4th axis face plate looks big. If I do end up doing the same I def won’t have the z clearance to make something that size.

YouTube booted it for ToS violation but a YouTuber by the name of Adam the machinist had a video machining a 1911 frame that had a neat way of machining texturing dovetails for 4/5 axis parts so that he can access most sides and a little of the back, then flip the cover tails for an easy final op. The dovetails would give the part about 0.5” of clearance off the fixture face and it was just enough to sneak in and machine some of the hard to reach features. He supported it in three places, top/bottom mag well and near end of slide. Surface finishes looked surprisingly good and based on the rest of his videos he’s a better machinist than me by a long shot so I’d trust that this works pretty well.

I’ve not done 5 axis but workholding so you can get the most of it seems like a sweet payoff. I’ll see if I can find a similar vid

https://youtu.be/Yli16lioZbI?si=uiDwEjly3gQLRoMO

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 5, 2024

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Are you talking about a centering dovetail vise like a 5th axis brand one? They're awesome for good access and then tabbing the part off and cleaning up quickly on the final surface.

Those old workhorse machines are great, the amount of table size and z clearance you get relative to travel is amazing for being able to do stuff like this or drill deep holes or work on large parts, that looks like an awesome machine.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Are you talking about a centering dovetail vise like a 5th axis brand one? They're awesome for good access and then tabbing the part off and cleaning up quickly on the final surface.

Probably, yea. This is the guy I was talking about. has little palletized chucks that hold the dovetailed parts. Hadnt seen that before now.

Also showed me this trick which is neato. I kinda hate dykem. I have shaky hands and always make a mess of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Vr5FeTbkE

Also he shows some pretty amazing corner radiuses achieved through shaping with shop ground tools. Here's a video with .005" wide slots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVl8JSc_1E

Dudes a real machinist's machinist but with better production values that most youtubers. And I havent even heard him say anything racist yet.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 5, 2024

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Yes, I am looking for a dovetail vise like the 5th axis ones. Like most of machining, workholding is 99% of the challenge.

The problem is they go for almost new prices at auction so I haven't found one for a price I want to pay yet. I will make some fixtures for some of my initial testing. An ER40 collet chuck will probably be first as that gets me an easy way to hold small round stock.

The mechanical setup of the older machines can be amazing. On my machine, the dynamics are not too great as you have 2+ton moving Y+Z axis. But testing with a laser interferometer shows the axis positioning linearity is around 5um over the full travel. After calibration, gauge blocks measure to <1um using the touch probe.

Having 24" of daylight under the spindle really allows quite a few setups that would normally require a bigger machine. It is has 30x18x18" travel but the table is 44" wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ZincBoy posted:

Yes, I am looking for a dovetail vise like the 5th axis ones. Like most of machining, workholding is 99% of the challenge.

The problem is they go for almost new prices at auction so I haven't found one for a price I want to pay yet. I will make some fixtures for some of my initial testing. An ER40 collet chuck will probably be first as that gets me an easy way to hold small round stock.

You prob know this but they make ER square/hex collets, def in 32 prob in 40 as well.

The guy I linked above makes his own dovetail fixture here to go on his fancy Erowa bases:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yli16lioZbI

EDIT: drat just checked the prices of the 5th Axis ones you mentioned, the DM25 looks pretty fukken pricey at $902 and yep it and similar 5th axis dovetail chucks are $700+ on ebay.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 5, 2024