Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I have https://www.v1e.com/products/1-8-endmill-variety-pack and they’re pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
At the hobby end of things there’s also Estlcam - which is pretty basic but easy to use and cheap. I’ve used it for carving and it came out fine.

The makers of lightburn are also working on a version for spindles instead lasers which could be handy.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Best of luck to your (remaining) fingers.

Not emptyquoting

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Where did you source the honeycomb mesh?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I mean, now you mention it, it probably IS possible even with a 3d printed former if you could get a roll of thin enough gauge metal for a reasonable cost…

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If you had a laser cutter, it'd be easy to slot thin sheet and then just slide the pieces together to make waffle mesh.

The trick would be to find strip the same thickness as your band saw blade and then you could make a slotting jig and race through making a grid whatever density you fancied.

The MK3 Lowrider I made has a work area just shy of 8x4 and I’ve put a 30w laser on it - but I don’t have a honeycomb table that size.

I’ve got a drag knife for it too which has been fun to do big vinyl decals with.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

I now suspect that the issue I was having with my GRBL-controlled laser was a cheap USB cable randomly and occasionally dropping out/sending crap to the controller. I replaced the cable with a different one today and ran about 45 minutes worth of cutting with it without issues (at least no communication issues, I managed to screw a few things up myself though).

I made a step stool which smells absolutely disgusting, laser cutting plywood kinda sucks tbh.

You might already know this but not all plywood is equal when it comes to lasering - the construction yard stuff cuts worse than ‘better’ quality ply of the same thickness. Check your Lens and I bet it’s covered with yellow schmoo. I’d have expected a 40w to do that in one pass, https://lasertree.com/pages/laser-module-cutting-data certainly suggests it should but that’s running at nearly half you mm/m which tracks I guess.

The nicer grade ply also smells better imo, maybe it’s the lack of formaldehyde

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I didn't know this...what is the good/best plywood locally available in most US cities for laser cutting?

The bad news is - it’s the more expensive stuff, Baltic birch and the like. And I mean ‘WHAT?’ prices. Laser safe, formaldehyde free, furniture grade all seem to have a $$$ value I’m afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Estlcam has a fully functioning free install mode, after a while on startup you get a box you have to dismiss with an increasing delay time but it’s enough to see if you like it enough to pay the pretty reasonable licence fee.

For 3D carving in estlcam you just import an stl and set a few options. It’s basic but it works.