Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

NewFatMike posted:

It's 3DEXPERIENCE WORLD this week (nee SOLIDWORKS World), and I thought this was super exciting:

https://discover.solidworks.com/3dexperience-solidworks-makers-available-2nd-half-2021

This includes SOLIDWORKS, and their browser based design tools for parametric and subdivision surface modeling.

CAM Standard on SOLIDWORKS, not their browser based DELMIA app, but still super duper cool, and $10/mo or $99/year, which is pretty excellent.

Took a look at this. Their "sign up for details" section asks for professional email and job title. For a maker/hobbyist 360 competitor this seems... off target. That being said I am totally trying this out day one. I've used solidworks and NX professionally for years and 360 is just such a huge downgrade it pains me every time I touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

RE posts: Nothing to add

I did get something fun for my project, though. I priced out all the cool switches and blinkenlights etc I wanted for my control panel... and instead started thinking in a different direction.

After looking on Ebay I found a used panel to wire up to a Mesa rs422 daughter card. Look at all those glorious multi position swiches, toggles, and LED's! Only a few little odds and ends are missing, and this saves me a TON of indecision on panel layout, switch function selection, etc. Also it's Japanese from the 80's so it's pretty kickin rad!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

You can also buy say a replacement head assembly from a Mini Mill, eg:

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2517&category=
You used to be able to get them in ISO 30 I think, which might be better in some ways. ER collets work, but aren't great for heavy cuts.

Otherwise start looking into preloading some bearings. Deep grove can do (look at what bridgeports run from the factory!), angular contact is much better. You can hand lap a set of race spacers after machining them to pretty reliably set the preload. Make sure that if you get angular contact bearings, you arrange them so that their lines of contact are opposed (not sure how to word this better.) If you imagine a line drawn between where the two races contact the ball, it will intersect your spindle's central axis at some point. For maximum stiffness, you want the intersection point of your two bearings with your spindle axis to be as far apart as possible. You will end up with something like 3 bearings. A pair of two preloaded ones for your axial stiffness, and a third plain or deep grove at the top to offset your belt forces and keep the long end of the spindle from whipping around. You don't have a quill from the sound of it, so the drive arrangement is pretty simple.

Also, watch this! Robin is the best, shares lots of good tips for precision grinding, measurement, and tool design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grUdsTTRGl4

Edit: Oh man now I am watching spindle videos and searching Ebay for garbage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BT30-Taper...S0AAOSwg~RfKodj
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BT40-Power...HgAAOSwux5YRRD4

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 4, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

1) Buy a good brand relay
2) Make sure the BREAK rating on the relay exceeds your maximum current draw by a good amount. They will generally be rated for how much current can be flowing through them when they open. If they are NOT, see 1)

Edit) If you don't mind running 24V for contactor coils, or mains 120V AC, ebay can help. Search contactor or IEC contactor. Look out and make sure the coils are 24V DC and not AC, that gets annoying. Transformer vs power supply. Note the 5kA rating on this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABB-AL9-30...7Cclp%3A2334524

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 25, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Compare the actual g code between the two! You can probably see something glaring like it deciding to run the tool in a rectangle .002 too small.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Have you given thought to keeping chips out of all those nice holes?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

insta posted:

That's what peeing directly into the holes while blasting them with shop air is for!

Lol.

Also, I was daydreaming of some little 3d printed plugs with a slot to lever them out of. Maybe add some of those O rings and go to town! I love the idea and will totally steal (re-steal?) it one day.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

push 3" PCD endmills at 30k rpm as fast as the machine can run it, like 800-1000ipm. Full load on a 125hp spindle...

Coolest thing I've read this morning for sure.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

RE fixed probe length, I recently saw a YouTube video where the person made an er20 collet shaped probe body, so that their probe would be repeatable in an er20 tool holder. It’s by one of the mods of the Linux cnc forum, Andy Pugh. He posts few videos, but they always show something interesting or clever.

https://youtu.be/yOvBcecJ3Fg

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've been tinkering with my 3018, adding a longer travel spindle, bigger rods, some linear rails where I could do it for <$100. I am working on some rails for the Y and a big ole 16mm ball screw I picked up for 30 bucks. I'd like to slap some bigger steppers on there, I think, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on "better" grbl controllers. I was looking at https://www.spark-concepts.com/cnc-xpro-v5/, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on if a 32 bit controller is is really worth it in this regards.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

That nano is so drat cool and I just want it. No projects or anything, just man that really is a cool package.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

tylertfb posted:

I keep seeing ads for that thing and thinking “hmm I want one of those” before coming to my senses and remembering that I have 3 mills and 2 lathes available to me to use any time at work.

I love that it's nearly everything I would want to do in a small machine. ISO-20 spindle, ballscrews, linear rail, cast concrete structure on the base. That being said, I want STUPID BIG linear rails, I get that 20 and 15 mm are probably just right for the 12mm ballscrews and frame design, but CMON! Also, I want to do some expanding concrete constrained layer dampers, and sadly their gantry is all closed off, so I can't jam some rebar and another tube in there.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I enjoy the use of concrete with optional self leveling epoxy on top as the machine base in the Langmuir. Also, properly designed bolted joints (NOT WHAT IS PICTURED) can be plenty stiff AND have the bonus of dissipating vibrations / providing "dampening."

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

stranger danger posted:

When the corners are close enough to each other, the technical term is "mickey mouse ears"

Good, glad I'm not the only "Mickey Mouse ears" here.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

ZincBoy posted:

When buying an old mill, it is a good idea to check the drawbar tension. I finally got a gauge and found my CAT40 spindle only had 500lbs of drawbar tension. Somewhat less than the 2300lbs-f typically recommended.

This gave me an excuse to finally rebuild the spindle as the bearings have been making noise for the last while. The first 3/4 of the spring stack came out fine and looked good. Then I poured out the rest:

Uh, I think that might be a problem. 30 of the 120 springs were shattered. I am surprised it held tension at all.

The scale was used to count how many springs were in the pile of broken ones. The manual helpfully listed the springs as "spring stack: quantity 1".

Luckily they are a standard size and readily available...

If you haven;t, watch Robin Renzetti's videos on spindle rebuilds! I've learned so much from him over the years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grUdsTTRGl4

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Second that. Especially the concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

RotarySMP is great, and his content way more resembles what I might be doing at any time, but Robin Renzetti and the guy from edge precision are next level. Very little production but just amazing info.