Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I'm very much a novice, but I primarily use HSMworks and think it has a very intuitive work flow, and the direct integration with Solidworks is a plus.

I'm trying to learn Mastercam, but it seems like it's been designed by a bunch of old greybeards who daily drive unix terminals and turn up their noses to things like "modern GUI's"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Anyone here ever setup a machine assembly for machine simulation in hsmworks? I'm having an issue where the Z offset has a mind of it's own causing the spindle to repeatedly pile drive through the table.

Tangentially related, I've been entrusted with firing up an unused UMC-750 at work for prototyping and it's going to be my first time running a big boy machine, so that's neat. I'm to the point of just needing to flush and refill the (empty...) coolant tank, and then I can start very over cautiously making chips.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Karia posted:

For the UMC, one warning related to CAM simulation

I'm running classic controls, so I guess I won't have to worry about that.

And yeah, definitely going to walk before I run and stay in 3 axis land for a while while exploring 5 axis on the CAM side of things. Plus sorting through the pile of tooling that isn't organized or catalogued in any way. The previous guy literally left a pile of empty end mill containers on one half of a bench, and all the loose end mills in a pile on the other half.