Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Popped over from the 3d printer thread and was wondering if there were some current recommendations for a CNC wood carver.

My dad's looking to dip into CNC and wants a workhorse to do projects sub 3x3ft. Is a shapoko 4 the way to go?

He's pretty decent figuring out tech but I'd like to get him on the right path so he'll actually use the tool without having to fight with it all the time. I live relatively close by so I'm happy to set it up in my garage, tune the poo poo out of it, then surprise him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

For $1,500 and primarily wood projects, I’d say go for it.

There’s a lot of support and community out there, most CAM software will support it no problem, and post processors are easy to come by.

I like the one stop shop for things, and there’s a lot of room to grow on the software side if you ever need to. The motion controller is adequate, and you can likely upgrade that if you ever need to.

There are trade offs and things like that, but kinda like a Prusa if it’s your first entry into the hobby and you have the budget, I recommend it.

Cool, yeah he's a woodworker first and not a 3dprinting guy so probably a decent option

If it was for me id probably do some DIY insanity myself

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Slowly going insane in a software development career, and I've been slowly trying to angle my way into being a full-time hobbyist 3dprinter/maker/etc.

Any recommendations for what I should be looking into re 3d modelling/cad training? I want to generally be able to design 3d models for my printers, and to be able to design stuff for a CNC machine/laser

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Slowly getting there. Just need to order a backlash nut off AliExpress before I go any further.... Ordered the wrong pitch

(Rscnc32)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

What's the thread recommendation for vector design software? Looking to re-learn something more seriously after not really having touched illustrator for years and years.

-Initially looking to design for a laser cutter, but I'm also in the process of building a CNC machine, and have a ton of 3d printers.
-Idealy free or cheap. Not looking for a recurring monthly fee, ideally not looking to pirate
-Dont want to corner myself into a weird app with no room to grow if I get better at it or more professional
-Im also trying to pick up cad/3d- design so anything that interacts with that end of things would be great