Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Hey thread, someone showed me the openbuilds website recently and I have now become very interested in building a desktop CNC. Are there any particularly glaring things I should know about before I start on this journey? Things/companies/products to stay away from, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

ante posted:

What do you want to do?

I wanna put files into a machine and make it cut stuff out of wood/plastic/aluminum if possible, but the first 2 for sure.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

NewFatMike posted:

What size do you want to work with?

Open builds machines should be fine for the first two, I’m honestly not certain about aluminum. Coming from a machinist/manufacturing background, I’m sure that what’s acceptable for lots of folks there isn’t for me :v:

Depending on your budget, I’m looking at an Omio X8. Looks like it does great work in most metals, and I’ve heard some great results on hard milling materials (I.e. holding to within a thou).

I don't really have a specific budget, as I am trying to buy parts when I can afford them, and then check em off a list and put it all together once it's complete. This is what mainly draws me to doing an open builds project. That accurate hard milling does sound great though.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Sagebrush posted:

i am reporting this post for obviously not being "hobby" anything :mad:

Seriously. What a jerk!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Has anybody built one of those Maslow CNC things made of lumber, bricks and drive chains?

Welp, my poor impulse control is making it very difficult to not try to buy one of these kits after seeing it for the first time just now.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Please post links when you have em cause I'd def watch that

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Blackhawk posted:

I now suspect that the issue I was having with my GRBL-controlled laser was a cheap USB cable randomly and occasionally dropping out/sending crap to the controller. I replaced the cable with a different one today and ran about 45 minutes worth of cutting with it without issues (at least no communication issues, I managed to screw a few things up myself though).

I made a step stool which smells absolutely disgusting, laser cutting plywood kinda sucks tbh.

Nice! How many passes does it take for whatever thickness that is to get cut all the way through? Also, how powerful is the laser you're using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I really gotta get back into cracking software...