Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Thunk posted:

But it spoils one of the series' most important moments for people who haven't read the manga.

I don't think it's a spoiler so much as just a weird way to experience the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

So do Mikage and Hachiken ever actually date, spoil me on the manga please.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Davincie posted:

So do Mikage and Hachiken ever actually date, spoil me on the manga please.

Currently, where we last left with manga ____No.____

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

This is my new favorite thing.

Anyway, I liked this episode. The way they moved the entire meeting with Mikage's family into a flashback in the second half was a bit odd, but it would have been hard to cover the rest of what happened otherwise, I guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ViggyNash posted:

I think the pacing is fine actually, and not too different from the first season. It feels a lot harder and faster mostly because the climax is a lot higher.

Bit late in responding, but: besides the pacing issues about the horse contest episode I talked about way back when, there is the fact that they had the ending theme about two-thirds of the way into the episode, right after what feels like a natural stopping point for the episode, and then you have a pretty important part that gets cut right in the middle by the actual end of the episode.

The way I'd done it would have been to pad the first part of the episode (not that hard, you only need about five minutes more and there's plenty of material they cut from the manga that could be used), end the episode at the ending theme after the milk drinking, and push the whole "Mikage Family Discussion" thing into the following episode.

The way they did it makes things feel like they're flowing really awkwardly.

Ninjaedit: this of course refers not to the latest episode (which I haven't watched yet), but to the previous one.

Franz von Dada posted:

Currently, where we last left with manga ____No.____

But pretty much everybody and their mother is pushing them to do so.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Mikl posted:

But pretty much everybody and their mother is pushing them to do so.

Don't know why Arakawa couldn't just make them "official" already. It's not like it would ruin the cast dymanic or anything. I know some are already annoyed by the fact that she keeps dragging it on.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Welp, now I'm conflicted. While I still think the previous episode had issues with pacing, fixing them would almost certainly mean ruining this episode's pacing, which was near-perfect.

This season is really hit-and-miss. Some episodes flow really wierdly and awkwardly, only to be followed by really good episodes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Franz von Dada posted:

Don't know why Arakawa couldn't just make them "official" already. It's not like it would ruin the cast dymanic or anything. I know some are already annoyed by the fact that she keeps dragging it on.

poo poo like this baffles me. They are for all intents and purposes dating, except for the fact that there hasn't been some asinine, contrived "confession" scene and they're not sucking face all the time, so why do these two facts somehow make them not a couple? They're both clearly awkward as hell when it comes to romance and they're dealing with more pressing, important priorities looming large in their lives.

Folks who are impatient with these kids oughta go cram a shoujo manga in their mouths. AND I'M GLAD THERE WAS NO KISS AT THE END OF FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST, OR PACIFIC RIM! :colbert:

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

OnimaruXLR posted:

poo poo like this baffles me.
I don't think people would have a problem with it if it weren't for the author kind of teasing about it and repeating the same type of scene over and over again ("huh? we aren't dating:v:" "whaaa:aaa:").

I'd hate it if there was some typical confession scene. Arakawa is better than that.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm fairly sure Hachiken will find out about the sweet tax breaks that come with a marriage license, and that'll be that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Last ep up! God I love this series so much. Really sad that we didn't get a new season announcement at the end there, but that's the norm with noitaminA shows.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cracked a smile when they actually included the ED's drop in this episode.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
This episode was great. This series is great.

I asked my wife how she would feel about raising a pig and she was cool with it and then I mentioned bacon and now she all mad.

(As an aside: The Crunchyroll friendzone thread is a horror)

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
It's really the supporting cast that makes this show great:

"DID SOMEONE SAY BEER?"

"PIPING HOT RICE!"

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
With it's popularity, I think we can expect more seasons as long as the manga keeps going.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

With it's popularity, I think we can expect more seasons as long as the manga keeps going.

The first season covered chapters 1-31 of the manga (skipping a couple of sidestories), and the second season reached more or less chapter 75 (it's not an exact fit because they haven't been adapting chapter straight, but rather picking and choosing bits to animate out of the whole). Right now we're at chapter 96.

If they plan to keep this pace there's going to be a while to wait until season three. Unless they resort to filler, but I doubt they would do that.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

The first season covered chapters 1-31 of the manga (skipping a couple of sidestories), and the second season reached more or less chapter 75 (it's not an exact fit because they haven't been adapting chapter straight, but rather picking and choosing bits to animate out of the whole). Right now we're at chapter 96.

If they plan to keep this pace there's going to be a while to wait until season three. Unless they resort to filler, but I doubt they would do that.

wow i thought there were way more chapters than that. then there most likely wont be a third season because i dont think this has sold that well over in japan, and the manga has always been a hit. kind of disappointing because this show was very good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea unless they're gonna do filler (which in fairness, of all the animes that filler would be ok to have, Fun Times With Farms is the one. You can have decent filler arcs that are just 'yea we gotta learn farm poo poo' and it wouldn't be the worst thing) season 3 won't be for a good bit. Still apparently this poo poo is going ok (they're making/made a live movie of this even, poo poo's going pretty well I guess) so I wouldn't doubt that a season 3 will happen.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hachiken's mom seems nice enough. Good episode.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
...gently caress you dad :qq:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

wow i thought there were way more chapters than that. then there most likely wont be a third season because i dont think this has sold that well over in japan, and the manga has always been a hit. kind of disappointing because this show was very good.

It depends if the anime was designed to for the purpose of selling the manga or not. If there was a noticeable difference they might do another season.

And the lack of chapters are due to couple of hiatus here and there especially now that she has another child to take care of

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Isn't a live action movie in the works? I think Silver Spoon is plenty popular in Japan.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Isn't a live action movie in the works? I think Silver Spoon is plenty popular in Japan.

The manga alone caused a boom of people applying for agricultural schools. It made a quite a big impact

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ViggyNash posted:

The manga is very popular, so popular that the anime did not boost manga sales very much, and that is a big part of why they made the anime in the first place. The disk sales are also lackluster from what I understand, so unfortunately another season looks rather unlikely. :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I really do wonder what the deal is with Hachiken's dad. Like, did he get burned on something real big in the past? Does he just not know how to communicate or express himself well? His is just really really risk averse? What's the deal man?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

paragon1 posted:

I really do wonder what the deal is with Hachiken's dad. Like, did he get burned on something real big in the past? Does he just not know how to communicate or express himself well? His is just really really risk averse? What's the deal man?

Read the manga and find out! It's a solid series anyway and judging from what AVeryLargeRadish said there's unlikely to be S3 so if you are curious read the rest

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

boredsatellite posted:

Read the manga and find out! It's a solid series anyway and judging from what AVeryLargeRadish said there's unlikely to be S3 so if you are curious read the rest

I've been reading the manga since before the first season started dude. We still don't really know why Hachken's dad is such a severe rear end in a top hat. Like, it's not even that the advice he gives is bad, he's actually right most of the time. He's just a tremendous dick about it and his sons pretty hate him for it. But we don't know why he's such an rear end in a top hat.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I see you guys have never had an asian dad before.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I can confirm asian dads are terrible at expressing their intentions and feelings

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

British dads are pretty bad at that too.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

His mom is the chill one, as ever. :)

I loved the last few minutes of this episode, just really nice and it puts a big smile on your face.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The manga is very popular, so popular that the anime did not boost manga sales very much, and that is a big part of why they made the anime in the first place. The disk sales are also lackluster from what I understand, so unfortunately another season looks rather unlikely. :(

If the manga remains popular, it's potentially likely that an S3 may come about given that any boosts in manga sales would be difficult to eke out at that level so something like this might be the ticket.

It'll come when Chihayafuru S3 comes though. I'm sure of it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

If the manga remains popular, it's potentially likely that an S3 may come about given that any boosts in manga sales would be difficult to eke out at that level so something like this might be the ticket.

It'll come when Chihayafuru S3 comes though. I'm sure of it.

Is Chihayafuru S3 the anime version of Half Life 3 now? There's a good chance we'll get it eventually, unlike the latter.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

ViggyNash posted:

Is Chihayafuru S3 the anime version of Half Life 3 now?

There are a few of those. Like YuruYuri 3 and Spice and Wolf 3.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Acer Pilot posted:

I see you guys have never had an asian dad before.

Yea I wouldn't be surprised if the writer was just using him as a stand in for most stereotypical Asian dads. He's not even wrong most of the time, he's just kinda a dick and doesn't show affection well so it's super easy for his kid to feel inferior when, in his mind, he's just trying to harden them up and motivate them. It's a super common trope/stereotype in this stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Franz von Dada posted:

There are a few of those. Like YuruYuri 3 and Spice and Wolf 3.

And Haruhi S3 and FMP S3 (or 4 if you count Fumoffu) and there's probably a fuckton more actually.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

By the way, since it was (sadly) skipped over in the anime, I encourage everyone to read the manga chapter dealing with Hachiken's mom arriving at the school, starting here.

It's really worth it :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aniplex of America announced the home video release of Silver Spoon season one and it's barebones and expensive. DVD only, Japanese with subtitles, $60. I'm sad to see that we're not getting a dub because I'd like to show it to people who don't watch anime a lot, and if it's not HD I'd rather watch it streaming. At least we have Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At that price you really should just hook your computer up to a TV and stream it.

• Locked thread