Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea this ape movie is dumb as hell in a good way. Lady Tarzan manhandling tigers, packs of rampaging elephants just sort of destroying Indian villages out of pure malice, the way too long 70s love sequence, the giant gorilla somehow knowing how to treat snake wounds on humans, etc. IMDB says the movie was rated PG-13 but uhh I don't think that holds in the age of bluray because you see nipple approximately every 5 seconds, Lady Tarzan's fur bikini didn't really fit the actress at all.

e: For a company that never made a kaiju movie before the model work here is pretty cool.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mantis42 posted:

Yea this ape movie is dumb as hell in a good way. Lady Tarzan manhandling tigers, packs of rampaging elephants just sort of destroying Indian villages out of pure malice, the way too long 70s love sequence, the giant gorilla somehow knowing how to treat snake wounds on humans, etc. IMDB says the movie was rated PG-13 but uhh I don't think that holds in the age of bluray because you see nipple approximately every 5 seconds, Lady Tarzan's fur bikini didn't really fit the actress at all.

e: For a company that never made a kaiju movie before the model work here is pretty cool.

Uh you can clearly see that they tape over her nipples.

At least in the back half of the film.

I'm not making this better for myself, am I?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just watched Fist of Legend for the first time since I was a kid. It holds up. General Fujita is scary as hell and it's clear to see the influence on the Matrix.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Uh you can clearly see that they tape over her nipples.

You can definitely see full nip in several scenes. The bluray comes with the original trailers as an extra and the HK one has straight up full on nudity in it, in a shot that's not in the final movie. So I'm guessing they just didn't bother to cover her up too well because the original movie was meant to be more R-Rated (or the Hong Kong equivalent, I guess).

Chas McGill posted:

Just watched Fist of Legend for the first time since I was a kid. It holds up. General Fujita is scary as hell and it's clear to see the influence on the Matrix.

It's interesting to compare that to the original Fist of Fury in the changes they made to the story. Kung Fu movies have always had strong anti-colonialist themes and the Japanese are often the antagonists, but whereas in the 70s they're just straight up villains by the time of Legend you get a bunch of nice Japanese characters to balance out the militarists. And obviously the ending has Chen surviving.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah it was a pleasant surprise that there were several sympathetic Japanese characters and a romance between a Chinese and Japanese portrayed in a positive light. I've got the 'rona so might relax with some more 90s Li movies.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Chas McGill posted:

Jet Li just calmly dislocating everyone's bones in the first fight is an all-time great scene. If I have one knock against the movie it's that they went a little too hard on the "if we speed up the film it looks like he's really fast" stuff, some of the scenes look like they flat out just mashed fast-forward.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Mighty Peking Man is pretty good, no goofy ape-fu comparable to A.P.E's shenanigans. Good FX but the film in general feels pretty rough at times. There's a really long writeup here of the production which goes in to some difficulties: http://www.coolasscinema.com/2022/01/celluloid-trails-amazing-colossal.html

This reminds me, one of my favorite movies is their attempt at Super Sentai/Metal Hero from Japan
Infra-Man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4faudEDZf-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpZUPyzckT0

It's a real best of both worlds situation for me, you get Japanese style rubber monster suit fantasy sci-fi with Chinese martial arts on Shaw Bros sets.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm hoping Arrow Media chooses that if they go for another oddity in the volume 2 boxset.

Fun fact: Roger Ebert loved it.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

This reminds me, one of my favorite movies is their attempt at Super Sentai/Metal Hero from Japan
Infra-Man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4faudEDZf-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpZUPyzckT0

It's a real best of both worlds situation for me, you get Japanese style rubber monster suit fantasy sci-fi with Chinese martial arts on Shaw Bros sets.

Inframan owns!

There's also War God: The Big Calamity which I really wish would get an HD upgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwRb3b3qB84

Very easy to find as a fuzzy VHS boot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Haha, what the hell, is that a giant Guan Yu? I guess that statue they built was life sized afterall.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

Haha, what the hell, is that a giant Guan Yu? I guess that statue they built was life sized afterall.

Yeop and he fights giant alien invaders

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

There's also War God: The Big Calamity which I really wish would get an HD upgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwRb3b3qB84

Holy poo poo!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goddamn the ending of Boxer From Shantung kicks rear end. Chang Cheh films basically adhere to the "man too angry to die" meme as their guiding philosophy.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Very easy to find as a fuzzy VHS boot.

oh my. Yeah, I need to find this, like now.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

thatfuturekid posted:

oh my. Yeah, I need to find this, like now.

More great kaiju/wuxia/kung fu hybrids:

Founding of Ming Dynasty aka Tsu Wong Hu from 1971: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zv6LJaSwo

Some kickass monster fights here with a giant ape, a giant ogre, and a cool Chinese dragon, plus retro ancient Chinese miniature sets!

quote:

This historical fantasy feature is one of several monster movies that Tsuburaya’s effects maestro/ Ultraman Story director Koichi Takano worked on in Taiwan (others being 1976’s War God and 1974’s The Devil From the Bottom of the Sea), while Sadao Tsukamoto did puppetry and 70’s Ultraman design honcho Yoshi Suzuki was responsible for the monsters’ conception.

Never seen Devil From the Bottom of the Sea but going off this pic it looks loving awesome, with flying heads and a sea devil!

Sea Gods and Ghosts from 1975: https://youtu.be/z158fYZeWY0

Recycles Founding of the Ming Dynasty's FX scenes and adds Judy Lee, who you may remember from Queen Boxer where she was advertised as the heir to Bruce Lee - but who wasn't at some point?

The Fairy and the Devil from 1982: https://youtu.be/6Ea7VAw5Cr0

Recycles Founding of Ming Dynasty's FX again for the opening credits and adds Star Trek music! Honestly kind of thin otherwise, but those monsters are so good.

Ready for some original footage? Okay, here's Thrilling Sword from 1981: https://youtu.be/MDRdT0N5UH4

Some super fun laser wuxia action, with a really gross meatball man and tons of cheesy 80s optical effects. Boutique label "Gold Ninja Video" just put out a limited edition BLU-RAY (!!!) of this film from a 2k scan, and it's already sold out! I did just see goon Tars Tarkas say over at his site (he provided a commentary track) that they're going to reissue it at some point tbd. I will definitely be watching out for that, this is like the low budget sleaze version of Buddha's Palm.

Finally, here's a couple of films that really might be OT for thread, but I'm throwing em in because we've been talking Inframan and War God:

Hanuman vs Seven Ultraman from 1974: https://youtu.be/0m8Y97ilsNg

Coproduction between Tsuburaya and madman Sompote Sands' Chaiyo Production of Thailand, features the monkey god Hanuman teaming with various Ultramen to massacre some leftover Ultra monsters on a gorgeous jungle bound rocket base. You also get to see a kaiju-sized Hanuman murder some temple desecrators while mocking their futile resistance! This began Sands' long, bullshit crusade to claim he owned the international rights to Ultraman, an affair that only wrapped up a few years ago with the rights being fully reverted to Tsuburaya.

Jumborg Ace and Giant aka Mars Men also from 1974:https://youtu.be/NhxVziobCYE

The same idea, except it's Tsuburaya hero Jumborg Ace teaming up with a stone giant temple guardian that Sands had previously created for his very first feature film! Everyone does some fighting on the moon and there's some stock footage from the Jumborg Ace series too. Both of these movies are aces in my book, fun off kilter kaiju thrills.

Thai posters were always beautiful and it seems like the artists actually watched the films or at least got promo kits to work off. This time the Italians did a good job too for their Mars Men version, but usually their stuff is incredibly goofy - check out any Italian posters for Godzilla movies.

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 9, 2022

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Stealing Lumbermouth's link from the Criterion thread:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1502114054634192918

Can't say I expected this one, I've loved this movie since I was a kid but I wouldn't necessarily call it seminal. Still, I'm stoked to see a transfer of it that isn't a VHS that the guy at the comic book store copied for me from a laserdisc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Leg guy absolutely came out ahead compared to all the other Crippled Avengers. It was basically an upgrade for him!

Almost done with Shawscope vol 1. The last two are Heroes of the East and Dirty Ho, so that should one hell of a double feature.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 17, 2022

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Dirty Ho sadly is not as great as its name would lead you to believe

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This was the second time I've seen it. It's not bad at all, though most of what I like about it comes in the first half, when Gordon Liu is keeping his kung fu abilities disguised. The scene where he puppeteers the courtesan to make it seem as if she's his bodyguard and the scene where he's fighting an assassin while pretending to look at antiques are both great. The theme of characters being disguised carries throughout the film but once Liu is injured it loses some of the charm. The humor doesn't land a lot of the time (especially with the Five "Bitters" or "Agonies" depending on the translation) and the pacing is kind of weird. Every Shaw movie has an abrupt ending but it sucks that the movie leaves the main villain, the 4th prince, untouched in the end.

This is just a personal thing, but one thing I dislike about some of the 70s era kung fu movies are fights that go on forever and no one actually lands a blow until the final, fatal hit. The choreography can be great, the actors acrobatic, but it feels pointless if none of the blows "count" until the script says it's over. It also means the fights don't feel as if they evolve enough as the scene progresses. That's usually why I prefer One vs Many fights or shorter, more decisive fights. This is also why Chang Cheh is so great, he loves to make his characters suffer and continue fighting even when their guts have been ripped out.

Ranking the films of Shawscope vol 1 with them fresh in mind:

Five Shaolin Masters
Mighty Peking Man
Challenge of the Masters
The Chinatown Kid
Dirty Ho
King Boxer
Shaolin Temple
Boxer from Shantung
Five Deadly Venoms
Crippled Avengers
Executioners from Shaolin
Heroes From The East

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Worst to best I presume?

I've been watching Martial Law again. I love it and Sammo. But I've never really watched any Sammo movies believe it or not. Any reccomendations?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Wheels On Meals and Millionaires Express are absolute classics.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Worst to best I presume?

I've been watching Martial Law again. I love it and Sammo. But I've never really watched any Sammo movies believe it or not. Any reccomendations?

Magnificent Butcher, Eastern Condors, and if you can get it, Pedicab Driver

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Wow thanks all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Worst to best I presume?

Yes. Sorry, should've clarified.

Five Shaolin Masters ranked the worst not because it's bad or anything, it's just not much of a movie. Just dudes walking around the country getting in fights. It's nice to watch back to back with the Shaolin Temple, which acts as a sort of prequel.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Worst to best I presume?

There were some good recommendations, but I'll also note that Eureka just released a 2K restoration of 1979's Odd Couple, which is a good one as far as weapons fighting (mainly sword vs spear) plus Sammo playing not only an old master, but also a young student in the same movie. If you want more 1980s style action, you can't go wrong with the "Three Dragons" era films: Project A, Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever. One caveat about most Sammo Hung films: because of his physique, they tend to be very broad comedies for which the humor may not necessarily age well. It's a bit jarring how Magnificent Butcher is mostly wacky hijinks until the brutal rape/murder followed by revenge...then more wacky hijinks.

In more recent years, Sammo's been playing more serious antagonist roles effectively now that he's older. Check out SPL (retitled "Kill Zone" in the US) and Ip Man 2 for which Sammo was also the fight choreographer.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 29, 2022

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Since most of the classics have already been mentioned, for some weirder Sammo roles check out encounters of the spooky kind, and zu warriors of the magic mountain. I think millionaire's express is probably his best if you only want to watch one.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

It's hard to to Millionaires Express because it is one of the greatest movies of all time

Edit: Nobody else likes Enter the Fat Dragon?

brocked fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 29, 2022

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I was expecting alot more encounters of the spooky kind tbh but thanks all for the reccs.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I haven’t been able to find Encounters of the Spooky Kind in the US, I’d love to give it a watch.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

You might find it as just 'Spooky Encounters'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jimmy Wang Yu passed away. RIP to an absolute legend, one of the first kung fu mega stars.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A giant has fallen :(

Jimmy Wang Yu of One-Armed Swordsman and Chinese Boxer fame, among other great films, died today.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

Jimmy Wang Yu passed away. RIP to an absolute legend, one of the first kung fu mega stars.

drat, I think he was poorly for awhile:

quote:

Wang’s personal life was dogged by controversy. After breaking his contract with Shaw Brothers he struggled to find a stable home for his films. In 1981 he faced a murder charge in Taiwan, while ill-health ultimately forced him out of the public eye.

RIP to a real bastard and a real legend

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

drat, I think he was poorly for awhile:

RIP to a real bastard and a real legend

Yeah he had a stroke, was pretty much paralyzed on his left side, did something like 4x the physical therapy they gave him, and got full use back though it was never as strong according to some obit or other I read.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

According to Wikipedia he was acquitted of murder, due to a lack of evidence. Idk the details but I like to think it was a situation where the sole witness to the case was like "the one armed man did it!" and ol' Jimmy pulled his second arm out of the sleeve. Like a reverse The Fugitive.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1513691799755362307

Big, if true.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

moller posted:

Big, if true.

Apparently part of Shawscope Volume 2!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1513960737416396802

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Boxer's Omen owns hard

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Boxer's Omen rightly deserves acclaim, but I'm hoping against hope that the next set has more of their classical wuxia as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Boxer's Omen indeed owns but I didn't even realize it was a Shaw film, since it feels so different from most of their catalogue.