Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVIvmOPHOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Frosty- posted:

Both are fairly lovely alternatives to getting a helmet with an internal sun visor.

My helmet has one, and while it is amazingly convenient if I suddenly find myself riding into the sun, it's honestly kind of bad. The tint is fine but there's a bunch of minor distortions that make maneuvering with it down a slightly dizzying experience.

I guess it's possible that more expensive helmets would have better sun visors, but sight unseen I strongly suspect it's one of those things that everyone cheaps out on (except for one brand that is terrible in every other way) because compound curves are hard.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KARMA! posted:

You're the first person I have aver heard about getting any kind of headproblem from a visor, internal or not.

It's not like it gives me headaches or anything, I just find it really distracting to be tracking an obstacle or road feature and suddenly have it do a little shimmy as it moves across my field of vision.

If I'm just cruising it's fine though, and infinitely preferable to loving about with glasses.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

xergm posted:

To me, my brain is my most valuable asset. I can never understand how anyone can ride around without their head in some sort of protection.

Somehow I doubt this is true of people who don't wear a helmet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's what happens when you make a scooter gearbox deal with big-boy amounts of power. As far as I know all the hyperscoots have similar problems - it's one of the reasons CVTs never made it into the mainstream despite their advantages over conventional transmissions.

FWIW the transmission and engine are Gilera, not Aprilia.

Yo what's your opinion of the hydraulic CVT in Honda's thing? (I can't actually recall exactly what bike it is, was either a maxiscooter or some kind of ridiculous flat 6 cruiser or some hybrid of both, iirc)

I like the idea but mainly because I'm attracted to complicated whirligigs with theoretically high efficiency numbers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Do you drive a VAG or subaru that is constantly broken and tell people how when it's working properly it's 5% more powerful and efficient than a comparable conventional car?

Haha, no because I have no money. Point taken though. (but if I did have the money I probably would get a VW or something :v: not a subaru though, around here they just get nicked instantly because :rice:)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 8, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

If you're referring to Honda's dual-clutch transmission technology

Nope! I managed to find the thing I was thinking of, it's their weird space-bike concept-looking DN-01, with what Honda call "human friendly transmission". It's basically a fancy scooter automatic (using hydraulics instead of a belt) that also has a manual setting that gives you six "gears".

The transmission gearbox:

The bike bastard lovechild of a cruiser and maxi-scooter:

e/ The fact that they only put it in one concept bike and one production bike should probably tell me everything I need to know, huh?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 14, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

relatively light so easy to toss in a van/truck, which makes them total theft magnets.

Solution: get a Harley :unsmigghh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

revmoo posted:

Again, I wish it worked like that, and maybe where you live it does, but this is the south. We negotiate our fines like proper gentlemen; with winks, nods, and cash.

The fact that you stopped and apologised/submitted to roadside judgement is proof of your guilt. That you never actually did a crime is irrelevant.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Calling a bike a woman is making a direct correlation between women and objects that you own and control. Pretty universal regardless of where you live and Not Very Nice.

Yeah, nah. Personifying objects is not at all the same thing as objectifying people. It's not even a universal thing, as plenty of people characterise their vehicles as male (while the vast majority are just "it"). This isn't a real social problem.

Nobody cares all that much about commonwealth swearing habits until you start trying to defend them. The only way for you to win that argument is to shut the gently caress up about it and stop trying to justify yourself (especially with "everyone does it here" which honest to god is like the worst excuse ever)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 6, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

This really isn't the case - personifying objects can absolutely contain elements of objectification. It's not guaranteed, but part of what makes the reddit thing so uncomfortable is how tightly they skew to that line. There's plenty of research on these sorts of things out there that's quite interesting about how associations of people with objects change the perceptions of the agency and independence of those people, especially when paired with social structures that support that same removal of agency.

Sorry, maybe I got confused, did some guy start calling his bike by his girlfriend's name or something? I thought we were just on giving machines people names in general, but when it's someone specific then yeah I see your point.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was hoping for/expecting gold hotpants. Or would that be too on the nose?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Obviously it's time to take the next step: clear out some garage space and start building your own bike :unsmigghh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There was a pretty great TV show in the UK a while back that featured bait cars and bikes that would do ridiculous poo poo like fall apart or lock the doors and fill with foam.

One of the bikes had a high pressure foam hose pointed straight up in the middle of the saddle :laugh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

Capitalism has its problems too but, much like distracted driving, is inevitable and will never stop.

Until it inevitably crashes because it wasn't watching where it was going. A good analogy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
gently caress me nsaP, really earning that avatar today aren't we?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

I'm going to posit that 80% of drivers never proactively check their mirrors unless they're changing lanes (and often not even then).

That was me until I crashed and got sent on a driver improvement course, which culminated in the instructor telling me that my driving was technically flawless apart from the fact that I just wasn't checking my drat mirrors. Now my head's on a swivel near constantly yet I'm still surprised when a splitter goes past my window

Tbf the roads here are pretty narrow and there aren't a massive number of bikes anyway, so it's not a common enough occurrence to easily get used to.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

revmoo posted:

Yeah 100% this. If the release an app that locks the phone down until a passcode is entered and all you can do is view ID/insurance then maybe I'd be ok with it. Probably not even then though. *Oops sorry I dropped your phone and shattered the screen too bad you can't sue police officers huh?*

That is actually a thing on the latest version of Android, can't remember what it's called but you navigate to an app or image and then lock it so people can't leave the app or browse your photos or whatever. (or maybe it was just on their to do list? I'm sure they added it already, but I have no nosy friends and thus no reason to use such a feature :v:)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If a sergeant is calling me sir, that means I must be a captain, right?? :shepface:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's the one that makes flames shoot out the top, right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What's the legal status of those lovely legoman helmets they do with the non-opening bubble visor and zero vent holes?

Legal or not I can only assume that in this country they'd fog up as soon as you put them on, though if that doesn't make them actually illegal they're still a crime against fashion.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

"I don't like how they look so they should be illegal"

Never change, CA.

He said in the echo chamber thread

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 6, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

The thing is, roundabouts are common as dirt here. I go through three on my way to work. Despite this there are certain roundabouts that are notorious among locals because people always crash there - and they're never the ones that have an idiot shrubbery or rock statue in the middle to block the view, they're always the plain concrete ones with a flower bed.

Here it's the ones where a mini roundabout (aka worthless patch of slippy white paint) has been placed where a T junction used to be. They always get jammed up because people can't work out how priority should go when approaching from entrances which are physically opposite each other, so they just stop and then every junction is full so everyone is waiting for everyone else to go, because the "roundabout" is not physically large enough to contain more than one turning vehicle.

e/ all they really need to do is shift the centre over a bit and adjust the dotted lines to be not parallel, so that cars approaching from the north perceive cars approaching from the south to be on their right, so that they'll reliably give way.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 22, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nsaP posted:

I've given many of them a shot and haven't found one yet that didn't bore me to all hell. Maybe if you made a list of new rider things to talk about and gave it a point, but most of them are just dummies rambling about dumb.

So basically regular vlogs, delivered from the back of a bike.

This guy is pretty good, does things like riding and maintenance tips, bike and gear reviews.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Don't worry soon you'll just be able to sort of awkwardly bump your hips together and have your phone make the transaction instantly and it'll go through twice because tap and pay will never not be poo poo, also PayPal will seize the funds because $6000 is too much money for an innocent person to have

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you want to attract [non bike having] women you need the opposite of a motorbike:

(but seriously, I hear the seats are insanely comfy)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You wouldn't believe how tempted I am to get you some kind of ~~DESMODROMIC DUCATISTA~~ :wink: red text right now

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What is this "time off" of which you speak? :911:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
One more reason modular helmets rock. Not that you can really flip the lid while riding above 20-30mph, and pulling over while your eyes are half shut because you're queueing a really big sneeze is a shaky proposition at best, but still!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Actual cheating would be getting a car on stilts.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was going to scoff about people with poo poo balance, then remembered I have an unfair advantage (more like a hidden learning curve) in the form of an ungodly number of miles on a bicycle before I ever got to bieks.

Putting both feet down on a bicycle is a great way to get one of your shins mashed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Things I hate the poo poo out of while riding: heavy traffic in heavy rain, moving so slow even my pinlock fogs up, not seeing those goddamn pedestrian crossing studs until too late and having the back step out again for the third time this week and second time today. :sigh:

On the plus side, I finally got around to booking my practical test, so I'll soon be able to salivate over bigger bikes with actual intent to buy get rid of my L plates and continue riding the 125 forever.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

That millennials aren't all killing everyone older than them for stealing their chance at propserity is proof positive that they're good people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XVcqZodAM

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Marxalot posted:

- "A bloo bloo, people making <20/hr don't want a $500 payment on some ugly rear end overpriced SUV crossover for the next 5-7 years" - Sincerely, GM.

The reason I own a bike. Also because I have nowhere to keep a car.

Also I suck hardcore at city parking, being able to dump the bike almost wherever is a lifesaver.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Moving furniture is what friends are for.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I make my bike go faster by squeezing the bodywork just above the footpegs.

On open straightaways it guns it without me telling it to and won't stop unless I yank the handlebars back hard enough to nearly fall off.

Every time we pass a petrol station it'll pull in all by itself and start filling up, even though it just had some gas like two minutes ago.

Occasionally when I tell it to go it won't, and after more coaxing will actually start going backwards.

:horse:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also the saddle is at least five feet off the ground for some reason.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

You mustn't be familiar with Criollos though.

Only crappy trail horses. I know they're trained to ignore everything you tell them so that idiot tourists don't hurt themselves, but still.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Does anyone know if those external steering locks (the big bar ones, kinda like you see for cars) are any more effective when it comes to not getting broken?

I've seen them on a bunch of maxi scooters and one spot tourer, it at least seems like they'd be a better deterrent to idiots who don't know poo poo about bikes yanking the bars around until it breaks. Obviously less convenient though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've never seen that phrasing of poe's law before, it's good.