Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Hello thread. I've been looking for a pair of headphones and feel like I'm groping around in the dark, so I figured I'd ask here.

Budget: appprox £200/$300
Source: iPod Classsic playing CD-ripped AIFF files -> Fiio E17 -> Headphones
Isolation Requirements: not strictly necessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full size, circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Ideally balanced, not bass heavy.
Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD 485, House of Marley Destiny
Preferred Music: Classical, Jazz, Folk.

Currently I have the House of Marley Destinys and I love them for listening to Rock/Jungle/Metal etc as they are pretty bass heavy as you can probably imagine. I used to love the HD485s too until they gave up the ghost a little while ago.

I'm after something that has clarity and detail, a big wide sound and that is nicely balanced. Essentially something where I'd feel like I was at concert really.

They don't have to be open (though I appreciate that open headphones may give the sort of sound I'm looking for). As I have a fairly large head I'd like to avoid the AKG 701-style headband thing, as I've found in the past that they don't fit me so well.

Somebody had suggested I get the Lindy HF-100 (aka Fischer Audio fa-003/Brainwavz HM5), so I thought I should mention that for consideration.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received, so thank you in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ummm...ATH-AD900x?

Amazon's got them for ~$220 and they've got flappy wings instead of the 701's strap.

Edit: And now I'm curious to know what people here think of the AD900x vs the Q701/K701. From the 15 minutes of googling I just did, there looks to be a decent amount of discussion online, but most of it is crap. I need to figure out which fancy people phones to finally get myself for Christmas.

Those would be ideal but for some stupid reason they're £323 ($522!) on amazon.co.uk

I'm leaning towards the AKG K550 at the moment.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Source - iBasso DX90, possibly a portable amp if required.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like some bass. Total neutral headphones sound anaemic to me. I have much bassier headphones for Rock/Pop/Everything Else.
Preferred Music - Jazz & Classical (instrumental + male/female vocal)

Long story short, I'm trying to decide between the Philips Fidelio X2 and the Beyerdynamic T90. Are one pair considered a significant upgrade over the other? Will I need to amp either of them? I've found the T90s for £285 online (~$430), which is making me consider them, they'd otherwise be beyond my budget.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a recommendation for a set of bluetooth headphones? This is the closest thing I was able to find that look like what I'd be looking for: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCSIN4W

I have these after they were mentioned in the thread a few pages back and they're really good. Lots of bass though, which is not to everyone's taste.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Taima posted:

Well you're in good luck man because the Fidelio X2s are on Amazon Warehouse in Very Good condition for $156. Go buy that right now, don't even thank me just get it and report back when your mind is blown. They don't even need an amp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O2Y2MZG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1455999251&sr=1-1&keywords=fidelio+x2&condition=used

They are open back if that matters. But at $156 you'll never get a better headphone in your entire life. Even at full price they are the best headphone you can get at the retail of $300 (IMO).

The only reason these are so cheap is because of the controversy surrounding the switch to Gibson as the manufacturer, but this is BS, Z Reviews put out a video about the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5lJdUy-1Ck

The point is, take advantage of the controversy and get yourself one of the best pair of headphones ever made for $156 loving dollars.

I've just taken advantage of this very deal (but from UK Amazon) to get some X2s with a slightly damaged box for £150. I've also bought a FiiO X1 to go with them. I'm upgrading from an ipod touch and some fairly run-of-the-mill sony headphones. I hope I've not done something dumb....