Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I got the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones a few months ago after a recommendation from this thread and while I really enjoyed them, it appears something is starting to go wrong with them now. When I'm walking around and listening to music on my phone (in my pocket) sometimes the sound will go out in the left ear and then come back. I'd guess this means it's a problem with the cable? Is it feasible to replace the cable or something or should I just get new headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

eddiewalker posted:

Do you know anyone handy with a soldering iron? It's not terribly difficult with parts from Radioshack, and I think soldering is a good skill to have, but I can't say whether its worth your time.

Umm, probably? I've done a little bit of soldering for a high school physics project but I think my grandpa and one of my brother's friends are actually competent at it.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
How would one pinpoint the break in the cable?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
That's what I figured, but I just did that and the sound didn't falter at all. I've only noticed the sound messing up with my phone (I have my headphones plugged into my computer at the moment), is it possible that the problem is with the phone's headphone jack somehow? I assumed I was just noticing it with my phone because it's the only thing I use my headphones with while I'm moving.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

grack posted:

It's possible a bit of dust got in to the headphone jack and is screwing up the connection on an intermittent basis. You can try cleaning it out with a q-tip dipped in a bit of alcohol (a very small amount, though).

I tried this and it seems to have worked! Thanks a ton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Budget: Under $200.
Source: My galaxy S4, sometimes my laptop.
Preferred type of headphone: Over ear.
Preferred tonal balance: Slightly bass heavy.
Previous headphones: I've had Creative Aurvana Lives for about two years and I liked them but the left cup just stopped working. I always take them to and from campus and have them in my backpack all day.
Type of music: Mostly hip hop. Some pop/r&b.