Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Budget - $30-40. I'm broke.

Source - LG Optimus L9 phone, Spotify on extreme quality.

Isolation Requirements - Need closed ear, so I guess they'll have decent isolation regardless.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed ear for travelling on the subway.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I like good bass and good highs, but mids aren't a priority.

Past Headphones - Right now I have some Sony MDR-NC7s. I'm happy with the quality (for the $50 I paid for them, at least) when I'm at home, but the noise cancelling doesn't even get rid of the train rumbling, much everyone's conversations.

Preferred Music - Punk and ska mostly, some folk and 8-bit/chiptune.

My main question is whether the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S be noticeably better than the MDR-NC7s I have now. If the Sony MDR XB500s are a good deal better I could save up for those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

grack posted:

For MondayHotDog and Dirty Job, is there any reason you wouldn't consider IEMs? You'll probably get better isolation than with circum- or supra-aurals in your respective budgets.

Retarded Pimp posted:

That, or IEM's since most often they'll isolate better than closed phones. The Vsonic GR02 seems to have the characteristics you're looking for. I haven't heard them, but this guy likes them.
http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-Silver...rds=vsonic+vc02

I forgot to mention, I can't use IEMs. I have funny shaped ears I guess. I've tried a few different sets with all the different sized attachments and none of them will stay in my ear canal for more than 30 seconds. I'll look into the F38s and 8323s.

Edit: Read some reviews on both and ordered the 8323s. Seems like you can't beat that price.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 28, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Midorka's headphone buying guide recommends an amp with the 8323s. Would a cheap portable one like the FiiO E6 help with sound quality at all? Or something else in that price range? CNet's review says even a cheap one helps.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 28, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Wanna thank you guys for the Monoprice 8323 recommendation. I'm hearing things I've never heard before in songs I've listened to hundreds of times. With 23 dollar headphones. That's insane.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Retarded Pimp posted:

How's the isolation?

Haven't taken them on the train for the real test yet, but they do a decent job blocking the noise from my jet engine of a computer. Can't hear it at all when I'm playing a game.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Decided on upgrading when I get my tax return. I'm fairly happy with my Monoprice 8323s (recommended by this thread, thank you guys), but the quality pairs in the $200ish range have to sound significantly better, right?

Budget - $250, max. Preferably around $200.

Source - LG Optimus L9 phone, running Spotify at extreme quality (which is 320kbps Ogg, I believe) with a FiiO E6 amp.

Isolation Requirements - Yes. I listen to music on the subway, so good isolation is a plus.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized, closed. Open would be okay if it has great isolation.

Preferred Tonal Balance - V-shaped or bass heavy.

Past Headphones - Monoprice 8323s, which I like but I'm ready for something more. Before I had a pair of $50 Sony MDR-NC7s that were noticeably worse than the $20 Monoprices. Looking for something that's a similar or greater increase in sound quality.

Preferred Music - Rock and folk. My favorite genre is punk with keyboards and synths, hence the V-shaped preference.

I've been eyeing the Ultrasone HFI-780s from the buying guide in the OP. But maybe there's something better for my particular tastes?

Edit: Forgot to mention I have a portable amp.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 29, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I just got my ATH-M50s today, and I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed. Mainly in the low end. I started off with a couple songs that have really prominent basslines ("Sic Transit Gloria" by Brand New and "Come Together" by the Beatles) and they don't sound too different from my Monoprice 8323s. There was actually some rumbling distortion in "Come Together", but that might have just been the EQ. I guess they do sound warmer, and the highs are more detailed, but they don't sound $110 better. Also the cord is way too loving long and not detachable.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 14, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Has anyone used soundprofessionals.com to mod their ATH-M50s? About a year and a half ago I accidentally bought the ones with the 11 foot straight cable that is way too long to ever take them outside. They'll make it into a 4 foot detachable cable for about $50, which is a lot cheaper than buying either the M50s with the coiled cable or the M50Xs. I just don't know if they're to be trusted or if there's other sites out there. I don't really trust myself enough to DIY it, plus I don't have the tools.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

grack posted:

Braid your goddamned cable yourself. It takes 10 minutes tops, and that's only if you have two working fingers on each hand.

I didn't know that was a thing you could do. Now my cable is shorter and my wallet not poorer. Thanks.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Is there another portable amp ~$100 (or less) that is as small as the FiiO E6? I'm looking for something to give a significant bass boost on my Audio Technica M50s but I want something a lot smaller than the phone it's attached to. I have an E6 already but it's kinda broken and just wondering if I should get another one or if there's something better.

Edit: Maybe the Brainwavz AP001?

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 2, 2015

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Budget - Up to about US$400, willing to buy used.
Source - iPhone 6 with a FiiO E6.
Isolation Requirements - Gotta be closed, I mostly use them on the train.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Looking for as much bass as possible, but not muddy, prefer a V-shaped sound in general.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s, quite happy with the sound quality/clarity but just want some louder bass.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock, a little bit of folk, hip hop, spoken word.

Was looking at a used pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s, but then heard about the Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MK2s. If those are just similar to the M50s but more bass heavy they'd be perfect for me, and my wallet.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

ufarn posted:

I'd be down with that, but what's the setup like exactly?

Computer ->- (Optical) ->- DAC -> AMP -> Headphones?

My motherboard doesn't have an optical port, so I hope it's by different means.

It uses USB.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Passburger posted:

I deem these (Sony MDR-ZX770BN) decent but I'm sure most people would think of them as half-decent. I own a pair that I use daily when I'm out and about, also they are under your budget.

I got a pair of these recently and they're better than I expected. They're the first noise cancelling headphones I've ever had and I got creeped out at how quiet it was while waiting for the train today.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Looking for a better pair of wireless over-ears for my noisy rear end commute.

Budget - under $350 USD
Source - phone (Google Pixel)
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass heavy
Past Headphones - Loved my Audio Technica M50s but I've worn them out and the cord was annoying, currently using a pair of Sony ZX770BNs but they don't offer enough isolation
Preferred Music - Mostly rock and podcasts

I'm looking at the Sony 1000XM2s and Bose QuietComfort 35s, is there anything else out there I should look into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Sony just announced the WH-1000XM3, which they're claiming are lighter, have better sound quality and noise cancelling, and get 5 hours of usage on a 10 minute charge. I just bought a pair of XM2s and now I'm pissed.