Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Watched a juvenile peregrine eyeball and then rob a nest of one of its babies. Then I watched the juvenile rip its meal apart. Coolest poo poo ever. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the ID! That's a cute little sucker.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You should see their nests.

They're not bright.

Re: migration -- holy poo poo!!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

He looks like he's wearing some pretty stylish leggings.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just figured it was some assassin's activation phrase.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I was going to ask about that one! What a cool bird!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm Buttmanxwecir.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've already done mine.

Twelve sparrows, a blue jay, and a pair of cardinals. Sometimes, pigeons!

That city life...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Very handsome among all those bright greens!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Here's a bad picture of an uncommon visitor to my feeder. I've not seen a rose breasted grosbeak in years!!

I lost my poo poo over this, I really hope he comes back.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cross-postin' from the critterquesting thread.

Pictured in Florida:

Sharp-shinned? Red-shouldered? Having a tough time deciding.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

EPICAC posted:

How big was it? Sharpies are the same to slightly bigger than a blue jay, red-shoulders are much bigger. Any reason you’ve ruled out Cooper’s? It looks like a juvenile, which I’m bad at IDing.

Edit: My range map says sharp-shinned is only a winter resident of Florida, but I’m not sure how accurate that is.

No reason for ruling it out except I didn't think the stripes on the breast were the right color? Then again, I don't think I looked at juvenile Cooper's. Hmm...

Edit: Asking about size.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Friend is saying the hawk was about corvid-sized, definitely bigger than a blue jay. That makes me lean more toward juvie red-shouldered.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooh, I can see broad-winged for sure, thank you! I forget how common those can be, where I'm from the red-shouldered and red-tailed are both way, way more common a thing, so my brain just kinda defaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

For bird photography: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171184&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

For general outdoor/backyard birding and chatter aside from just this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933091&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

For adjacent/general critter IDs and "look what I found" sharing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hello and enjoy!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 28, 2021