Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

.Clash posted:

You keep saying "ending" but there wasn't one. It was left totally open in the hope of something exactly like this new manga happening.

Yeah, I think everyone was really disappointed with how Akamatsu ended his previous series. I understand why he had to do it that way, but still... Had no idea this was in the works, and now I have to be excited for more stuff in the Negima universe. I'll be following this with a ton of interest as soon as scans of the first chapter are out... The preview images already have me excited!

Eva being right there front and center in the preview images is a good sign. I sincerely hope that Ken is able to move away from his old harem shenanigans in this series, because there's only so many times you can see him do the same clothing gags before you get really tired of them... But it is what he's kinda known for, so I doubt it'll happen. Still, a man can hope and dream, can't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

FiftySeven posted:

Anyway, you lot can say what you want about stuff like Love Hina, but it was one of the series that got me into manga in the first place and I will never badmouth it for that. Its a pretty fantastic example of the Harem RomCom genre, and is definitely a classic!

Yeah, Love Hina was one of the series that got me into manga and anime as well, and I will always look back at it fondly for doing so, as well as it introducing me to Akamatsu's stuff. Doesn't mean I can't criticize it, but I realize that if it had never caught my attention that one afternoon in Barnes and Noble, I probably never would have decided to look at Negima either (or might not have gotten into manga and anime at all!) due to unfamiliarity with Akamatsu in general...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Just read the first chapter, and I am glad to see that Ken has dropped most of the harem shenanigans here to go straight for the action instead. Hopefully, that trend continues in this series, since I think everyone here can say that the harem shenanigans were pretty much the worst part of Negima. Liked Eva's new form, and the main character being a grandson of Negi and related to the Konoe family is an interesting plot lead.

Cannot wait for the next chapter to come out.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Finally caught up with this manga after ignoring it for so long. Man, did I make a mistake to delay... Was reading the first couple of chapters as soon as they came out when this manga was first announced, hyped like crazy about Akamatsu actually giving us an ending for Negima but then I stopped for some reason. Guess I was just too disappointed with how Negima ended...

Anyway, I figured that Negi got together with Konoka due to Touta's last name and the fact that he refers to Negi as his grandfather, plus the graves we saw at the beginning of the manga, but that clashes with the fact that Konoka canonically got together with Setsuna. My preference for the eventually winner with Negi is either Chisame or Nodoka, if only because the latter was crushing hard on him and the two of them were cute together, and the former because she and Negi had one of the best relationships after she got over her whole disbelieving of magic thing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

As a side note, unless we have a big Negima thread I'm unaware of, I think it's reasonable to discuss some of it here, in the series that serves as a sort of continuation. How about you guys?

We had a Negima thread, but it dropped into the archives after the manga ended and no one wanted to discuss how disappointing it was. I'd be fine with discussing it here though, since it does play a huge part in the story of UQ Holder, what with being a continuation in the same universe as the former.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Namtab posted:

It's worth noting that it just says that Setsuna and Konoka got married, but it's only implied that they got married to each other.

Ha, fair enough, but with all the hints that Akamatsu dropped like metaphoric anvils, it's very hard to see anything but Konoka marrying Setsuna happening.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Is there any place to read this besides Crunchyroll? I've been trying to keep up, don't have an account there and I've been trying to keep up with this manga but it's hard to do so.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Not legally, no. You could but the volumes as they come out, I guess?

I've seen at least the first volume for sale here in the US, so I might just do that, since i do have a bunch of Negima volumes already.

HellCopter posted:

That reminds me, have we started taking bets yet on when this weekly manga will become a bi-monthly work with long pauses for "research"?

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not going to begruge Ken that, he's good for it unlike Jump's dole abuser.

Robviously posted:

Given the content that he came out with after the big research breaks that I rememberSeriously, Mars?!, he can take as many vacations as he wants.

Yeah, I've been expecting this as well, but I really wouldn't mind, if it leads to more spectacular stuff. And it'll give me time to catch up with chapters...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Blhue posted:

Chapters come out (almost) every Tuesday, and you've got until the next chapter is published to read that one for free, so at long as you remember to check once a week you should usually be okay. Also, a Manga only membership is a whole 5 bucks a month.

Huh, I didn't know that. That's actually really helpful. Thanks. Did notice a bunch of typos in the translation, which doesn't exactly bode well for an official translation, but I'm sure they'll get ironed out eventually.

Might look into getting a membership eventually, but not only for one series... Maybe in October, when my Jeopardy check gets in...

Now that I've actually read the chapter, I have more questions than answers... Nice tease with Karin asking about who Negi loved the most, and Fate dodging that question. Eva's reaction was pretty good, though.

The question of Touta's parents will continue to bug me... I have to assume that one of them (most likely the father) was the child of Konoka if the last name is any indication, so I wonder why we haven't seen more evidence of that.
Most likely Ken wants to reveal info about the post-Negi backstory sparingly to build up hype, and it's really working, at least for me...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there an easy legal way to read Negima these days that doesn't involve buying like 50 tiny paperbacks and then having to figure out what to do with them?

Skychrono posted:

They're all released/releasing in omnibus formats. That's $20 for a triple volume, meaning 13 (I think) for the whole series.

They're also $11 each (again, for the omnibuses) on Amazon if you'd prefer them on the Kindle.

Yeah, there's 38 volumes (most of which I own because the omnibuses hadn't come out yet), so 3 volumes to an omnibus means 13 volumes. The earlier volumes had some dodgy translations, but the rereleased omnibuses have the Nibley twins working on them, and their translation of the later volumes a little before Kodansha decided to release the volumes in English themselves via an American subsidiary instead of going through Del Rey have been pretty good.

Looking through my collection, it seems like I never picked up the last volume of Negima, nor Volume 36, along with the parts of the series that cover the intro to the Kyoto arc before the final confrontation there, nor the stuff before the Festival arc kicked off in earnest or the Festival Arc stuff before the tournament kicks off. Might want to fix that, probably by picking up the second omnibus or something. Probably held off of getting them because I didn't like the harem bullshit that was going on during that part of the manga. Held off of the last volume for the same reason, even if that means that I don't have the ending of the series. Oh well, maybe I'll decide to get it later or something...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

pinegala posted:

I'm a fan of his daily life chapters - ignoring the fanservice and how well choreographed his fights are, the atmosphere of the worlds he creates is where he really shines

Yeah, the slice of life chapters right before the end were really cool, and one of the major reasons why I got the penultimate volume.

But I mostly avoided buying the last volume because of the cliche harem shenanigans that the last bunch of chapters devolved into with the whole "seeking Negi's lips" thing from almost the entirety of 3-A, using their Pactios while Negi had his magic sealed... That and the terrible ending as well.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Doesn't shinmei-ryu specialize in hitting intangible creatures?

I don't think so. It's more creatures that have possessed humans, IIRC.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Skychrono posted:

If you don't mind streaming it Crunchyroll has a Netflix-style approach to manga and carries this. Otherwise, I don't know, I don't think that many paperbacks are out yet.

I've seen the first two volumes for sale in English, but yeah, that's not much.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

But didn't they need Asuna in order to generate the Great Grand Master Key to put all those people into Cosmo Entelechia?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Wasn't she haunting Ryoko specifically, who is probably dead by now? That's what I meant by "released from her previous job."

Didn't Eva build her a mini doll body that lets her move around away from Asakura prior to them leaving for the Magical World? And then Paru drew her up a full sized golem body with her pactio artifact. And I remember a note in the Negima epilogue about how she was freed from the need to haunt Mahora by the end of the term by unspecified means, hence why she could graduate and then go with Asakura like she wanted, but didn't need to stick close to her if she didn't want to. She did choose to stick by Asakura though, so who knows what she did if Asakura is no longer in the picture.

This is the timeline where Asuna was sealed, but set prior to her waking up. So while Ayaka is definitely still alive, any or all of the other mortal students could be too. They'd just be old ladies, is all.

InfinityComplex posted:

Are you that sure about it? As far as I remember, there is no mention of that.

SgtMongoose posted:

It makes sense as far as Negi died in that timeline and Negi "died" in this timeline (what's the over/under on that sticking?). But it also assumes that in 40-50ish years (this is happening around 2060-2080 right?) Eva is going to be gungho about going all Sam Beckett with Chao, so your mileage might vary on the theory.
I forget, what's the current date in UQ Holder anyway? There's been no indication that this is the timeline where Asuna is sealed, besides maybe Negi dying...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Skychrono posted:

On an slightly related note -

They are selling Negima! omnibuses. But it looks like they stopped at volume 9 - or volume 27 out of 39 in the series. I hope they finish someday.

Maybe Kodansha just hasn't gotten around to Omnibus 10 yet? They usually release a new volume every couple of months on a schedule. Shouldn't need much touching up, since Volumes 28-30 were all translated by the Nibley twins, which is Kodansha USA's current translating team and who were responsible for translating the latter half of the manga volumes when they were still coming out in English.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mana as acting headmaster, eh? Was not expecting that. Wonder who the "old friend" who asked her to stand in was. Konoka, maybe?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Overlord K posted:

Which one did they randomize?

The prelims of the Mahora Budokai. The matchups were chosen by dice roll.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter is out. Short cameos by Ku Fei and Yue in flashbacks, (apparently they won a previous Mahora Budokai in 2015), Eva shows up in kid form near the end, as does Fate on the last page.

Looks like there's of course going to be a training arc of some sort before we hit the tournament proper, which isn't scheduled for another year in story, with Mana overseeing Touta's training, though I think Eva will be helping out in some manner... Looking forward to it.

More Negi mystery, as apparently he signed up for the tournament as well...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 14, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Golden Battler posted:

Mana is a quarter-Japanese, quarter-Venezuelan, half-Greater Devil mercenary. There's not too much else about her, although Poyo kinda implies that she'll be important once the existence of magic and demons and such become public.

Minor point, but Mana is half-Japanese, half-Puerto Rican, not Venezuelan. She was also the shrine maiden of the Tatsumiya Shrine on the grounds of Mahora Academy, but who knows if that still exists as of UQ Holder. She's been a mercenary since she was very young (at least elementary school age), specializes in exorcism and anti-magical contracts, and is great with gun techniques, able to fight at close or long range (as shown in a previous chapter).

You also forgot about Chao, who should become important once Mars gets more involved. All the speculation in thread about the Mars War for Independence should've had you include her. And it is the future, so she might actually show up in some manner. Her dimension hopping/time travel shenanigans might be important in some manner.

The Konoes are probably important as background as well, seeing as how Touta is descended from them and Konoka's grandfather used to be the headmaster of Mahora Academy and they likely still control the school in some manner.

Also, one really should just suck it up and read Negima to get the most out of this series. It gets amazing an arc in, which is where Eva first shows what she's somewhat capable of.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Negima came out in 2003, so the characters are now 12 years old. In another 6 years it won't be creepy for you at all!

If that was what Akamatsu was going for then he wouldn't have set this 80 years after Negima. Most of the cast is dead.
That reminds me, what year was Negima supposed to take place? According to Negima, most of the students were born in '88/'89, and they go from the last term of their second year of middle school to the end of their third year near the end of the manga, so early 2000's, perhaps? It's apparently 2065 in Holder, so how much of a gap are we talking about between the two right now?

As for the chapter, I was not expecting that at all. [spoiler]The Mage of the Beginning possessing both Negi and Nagi? Guess this is the timeline prior to when Asuna came back at the end of Negima, since in that one, Negi was presumed dead there too, and the epilogue chapter had it all nicely wrapped up with Negi saving his dad and his mom, so I guess that never happened here. More questions than answers here, and the chapter just seemed to fly by. Can't wait for next week, to see where this goes from here.

Of course Touta is going to enter the tournament anyway, he's just too hard headed to dissuade that way. Probably involve the other numbers in some way here as well. I wonder if Eva's house is still around the Mahora campus. Her diorama sphere with the resort is probably the place she and Fate would go to strategize about what to do regarding the Lifemaker and how to rescue Negi, and though I have no idea how Touta and crew would find out about it. Either that, or Al's hideaway underneath Library Island, again, if that still exists.

Love the fact that Akamatsu is just picking up loose plot threads from how unsatisfyingly Negima ended and is just continuing them here in Holder. Then again, what do you expect when the former ended so abruptly and this was billed as a sequel and had Eva show up on the first page?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Silento posted:

Al's hideaway is decrepit, we saw it when Touta and Kuromaru were taking the number's entrance exam. That's where Touta got his gravity sword!

Right, forgot about that. The early chapters of Holder are quite a blur to me right now.

Kyte posted:

Most modern-day mangas are set at the same year they're first serialized and as far as I remember Negima's one of them, so 2003 or so. That'd make'em 14-15, which fits with the school years.

Makes sense. So Holder is ~60 years into the future of Negima.

InfinityComplex posted:

Think it was explicably said in one of the early chapters via identifying Negi's age and birth. But early chapters.
Hmm, looking at my copy of Volume 1, on the second page of chapter 1, in the top right panel, there's a faint 2003.07.something covered up by a speech bubble on Negi's diploma from magic school/assignment to teach at Mahora Academy. Is that supposed to be in YYYY.DD.MM format or YYYY.MM.DD format?

I assume the former, since later in my copy of Volume 2, in the certificate that Konoka's grandfather signs that appoints Negi as an official teacher at Mahora Academy after the whole library island thing and the end of year exams is dated April 2, 2003. Since the Japanese school year starts in April, that would fit with the class becoming 3-A at that point.

The whole Magical World arc was supposed to take place during summer break, so that would make those events happen around August 2003. The chapters just prior to the epilogue, after Asuna gets back would then logically take place in April 2004. That clears some things up, I guess.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

After the previous chapter was released and all the nostalgia that gave me, I did a reread of Negima from just before the Negi-Rakan fight, as well as the climax of the Kyoto arc. It was just as amazing as I remembered it. I can understand getting turned off at the harem shenanigans (that's why I hated the first half of the last volume), and Akamatsu really never gets over the whole Negi blowing off girls clothing using disarming spells while sneezing gag, but it really does get good. Now i wanna reread the tournament arc...

UQ Holder still can't compare to Negima in my mind, mostly because the latter ended so poorly that I was hoping that Holder would answer many of the questions left unanswered. Some characters are growing on me, but the most interesting parts to me are still the parts that have Negima characters show up in them... I loved the chapter two weeks ago, but this previous chapter ratcheted down the hype for me a bit.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

When Chachamaru finally shows up the thread is going to reach peak :gizz:.

Oh, no doubt about that.

Still, didn't the intro imply that Eva had abandoned Chachamaru, or at least let her live her own life, or as much as a life she would be allowed to live as a robot? Don't think she'll be showing up any time soon, but yeah, this thread (and a bunch of others that are following Holder on various sites) will explode when she does show up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The obvious ones are the two girls who were Fate's minions. Was there anyone else?

Wasn't sure if they were meant to be the same characters from Negima or just a callback to some character designs from Mundus Magicus (or Inverse Mars if you prefer). The skull head dude kinda looks like one of the bounty hunters that went after Nodoka and her treasure hunting crew to lure in Setsuna and Kaede and who was wrecked by Negi using Magia Erebea.

And then there's the burly looking black dude from Nigeria, which I thought was kinda random.

Sword looks like it'll drop some background info next chapter, so there's that to look forward to.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Fresh Prince posted:

The skull dude has been in the background before actually. He ws in one of the scenes of previous tournaments i believe...

Apparently, skull dude's name is the same as the bounty hunter I mentioned, so it probably is the same guy.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Silento posted:

Is it just me or does the mystery enemy's sword look an awful lot like Asuna's sword?

New chapter confirms it's a replica, but still has some of the same power.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Salty t-shirt on Touta during the dream sequence was a nice touch.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Silento posted:

Do they have the glossary thing Akamatsu used to do in the back? I've been interested in reading through those but a combination of money and space has stopped me from getting the physical volumes.

The single volumes do, and the one omnibus volume I own has them as well.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Kirie has grown on me a lot, though her whole tsundere schtick towards Touta can get tiring after a while. And Karin has great fights alongside her character interactions, so she's probably my second or third favorite character in the series.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

This isn't something this thread discusses much, but I have a big problem with the way Akamatsu places speech bubbles in both mangas. Sometimes it's very difficult to figure out who's supposed to be speaking. Its weird that someone so otherwise good at panel composition has this issue.

Allarion posted:

I have a feeling I got used to it after reading through Love Hina, which combined with Tokyopop's typesetting choices, you just get used to the glut of bubbles that happen every now and then.

Yeah, I think I got used to it in Love Hina as well, though I do agree that Akamatsu's speech bubbles can get very crowded and confusing in his panels at times, especially when I'm reading when very tired...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Yeah, people used to make jokes about Akamatsu taking months off at a time for "research" but he really shows his work.

I think the joke was usually either that Akamatsu's (former idol) wife was demanding that he take those "research" breaks, or that he was taking them to spend more time with her. However, you can really see the detail and the background work he got up to on those breaks, so they were worth it.

As for the translation inconsistencies, that's what happens when you had a large turnover in translators in the first couple of volumes, which were pretty shoddy. It stabilized around the end of the tournament arc, and was much improved by the time Kodansha took back distribution from Del Rey after opening their own American affiliate, and they had the Nibley twins come on as primary translation and editing. There are still some mistakes made in the later volumes, with one in particular being a glaring example, but overall they did a pretty good job with the rest of the series. Also, they went back and re-edited the first couple of volumes for the omnibus releases, making them read a lot better.

Tsukiyomi's Kansai-ben is a victim of that translator turnover, I think. It's shown a bit in her initial appearance in the Kyoto arc, at least if I remember my reading of the omnibus volume containing it right, but it became a lot more pronounced during the Magical World arc when the Nibley twins kept handling it. I don't remember if the original translation of her first appearance kept the dialect, but knowing their quality, I doubt it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

There's no chapter due to Golden Week, right? Waited for a new chapter, then I remembered Japan has a bunch of holidays around this time, and I checked the last page of the previous chapter to confirm. Must've missed that the first time I read through it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Golden week is still a month away. There simply was no chapter this week.

Whoops, got my Japanese calendar mixed up...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Allarion posted:

I'm tempted to think that the catgirl was trained by Ku Fei, but that's probably more similar designs than anything else.

Still don't know if cat girl is one of Fate's former minions, but if she is, that's not outside the realm of possibility, since we know that Fate and his minions eventually joined forces with Ala Alba and traveled together.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter out.

Touta venting to Eva, who he runs into at that mall complex after finding out about Negi using Magia Erebea to make Thunder in Heaven, Great Vigor as a finishing move. New fat lady arrives on the scene who refers to Eva as Kitty and who she calls Dana. Don't think we've ever encountered her before in Negima, so a new character? It's implied that she knows Eva for a while, and she looks like she has fangs, so maybe a vampire? I dunno.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Myurton posted:

The only one in Negima who called Eva kitty was Albireo Imma, better known as Ku:Nel Sanders for those that remember. Perhaps she is related to him in some way.

I know that much, but I find it very unlikely that this "Dana" is actually Al in disguise, because why would Eva refer to her as such? Al may be able to mimic other people's appearances using his artifact, but for Akamatsu to invent some new character just to reveal it had been Al all along just seems to me like too much work for too little payoff.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 15, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

She is obviously a vampire, though?

Yeah, I noticed the fangs too.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

I like how right out of the gate Touta is still getting his rear end beat against stronger opponents who aren't even holdovers from Negima. It's a welcome change from most shounen. And Akamatsu is certainly mixing up his character designs a lot more.

Also Touta still needs to hang out with his mom more.

Well, the demon dude is one that made an appearance in Negima and had a fight with Negi, and we don't know if the two girls are the former disciples of Fate yet. But yeah, new opponents are cool.

And do you mean Eva in your last comment? I don't think he sees her as his mom, though. But I agree with the sentiment. We do need more Eva in this manga.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

GodFish posted:

Aren't the two girls the ones who were students with Yue in the magical world?

I don't believe so, as their names are entirely different, and I don't think there was a dragon girl in Yue's class in Ariadne, at least not one that had a lot of page space.

Then again, the stated names of the girls in the underground tournament are different from the ones that Fate's group had as well, but the ones Fate used for them were all apparently fake names of some sort so it could still be them.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Myurton posted:

I never said it was Al in disguise, you assumed that. I said she might be related to him in some way. Like she may know him, or be directly related to him in some way.

Whoops, misread your comment. Yeah, I could see her being related to Al in some manner.

• Locked thread