Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
February - the month of love! Started the month of love in Naruto, with Sakura cutting a hole into a dying Naruto's chest and grabbing his heart to pump it with her fist. Next week, Kill La Kill had Ryuko getting her heart pulled out of her chest. And now in UQ Holder, Touta loses in a battle of speed and getting his heart pushed out of his back!

That's a whole lot of hearts. Did I forget any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann posted:

IF this is the original timeline. Which would be pretty interesting and help explain some of the differences between UQ Holder's timeline and the last chapter of Negima

If this is the original timeline, that would really, really suck, since that would mean everything we see in flashbacks never actually happens in Negima. I want some closure, not a bunch of "What if?"s, and I don't think that's too much to ask when he's had years to think on how he'd end that series, and even made a new series leading off of that ending.

Also, everybody who's reading this but hasn't read Negima, go read Negima, seriously it's great once it gets going. All the anime adaptations suck, though, cause they completely miss the point.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
But Rakan comes in like 200, 250 chapters in. I know this forum has a weird obsession with manservice but come on, Negima is a good series well before Rakan hits the scene. Festival arc alone is worth reading start to finish and Rakan isn't so much as hinted at existing the entire time.

You know what, I'm also gonna say the early chapters aren't that bad, either. They provide a pretty solid foundation for the rest of the series to be built on, introduces you to Negi and the class and the more typical shenanigans they get up to between battles to the death. Not the best part of the series by a long shot, but there are far worse ways to start a manga than a slice of life comdey with magic.

Just read Negima, you're missing out on a great series and a lot of backstory for what's being set up as a conclusion to said series.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 23, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bremen posted:

This is the future, she might be better off walking around looking for a domed habitat than trying to make her way back to Earth somehow. Trying to get back directly would be pretty crazy complicated orbital physics, even if she could move that fast.

Not to mention the fact that she could very easily miss. You don't want to miss.

I am curious how she will get back, though. I'm guessing finding a habitat and getting a rocket back would be the most likely option, or just magic, cause magic.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda hoping Touta completely forgets the plan for a split second and runs up to greet his friends.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mikl posted:

I wonder, is resetting via Kirie's power and then staying the gently caress away from the spaceport not an option? Seems to me the only way they would not be completely and thoroughly hosed.

They could but what would be the point? Fate's here explicitly to either lure or capture Tota. Why would they give away their single advantage of knowing when and where he'll first appear and instead, run with no idea when he'll find them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

One thing that bugs me is that Kirie's whole plan is locking Fate into the underground cave, but even Touta and Kuroumaru cleared the place and got out pretty quickly, so I'm not sure why they think this will be effective at keeping Fate locked up. Unless this is a different cave. Plus he could murder everyone anyway once they go back in time. I'm sure we'll see shortly how this is probably going to backfire.

Well, even if that plan doesn't take hold, they still have everybody else stationed at HQ, while Fate loses all his reinforcements. So at the very least, they get a much better position against him.

Though I just realized that only Tota, Kirie and Fate are gonna remember anything about this and everybody else is gonna be caught off guard. Whoops.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LinktheMaster posted:

I was wondering... what is everyone's opinion on this series?

It's still very early but very, very promising.

The fights so far are easily some of the best drawn fights I've ever seen, making it very clear what's happening without being drawn out and being jammed full of movement without feeling cluttered. It's actually kinda ridiculous how good the fights have been given how early this series is so far, like, most series would hold off on the really big showdowns for later but NOPE! Thirty chapters in feels like the fights have reached the same point Negima was at 150 chapters in. I honestly can't think of another series I'm reading right now that's capable of producing the same level of intensity in it's fights as this series does.

EDIT: Just remembered One Punch Man exists. And I think it's okay to be in second place compared to that series.

The setting is also pretty good, building on the ending of Negima while still managing to make it's own rules and do it's own thing, so UQ Holder feels like a proper continuation while still having it's own flavour.

The only real flaws worth pointing out are the characters, they all feel kinda shallow right now, but Negima had the same problem when it started, too, and ended up having some of the best character development I've seen in manga, so that seems like an issue that will hopefully fade as the series progresses.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 28, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Blech, somebody screwed the pooch and got the pages mixed up, so one two page spread has the pages on opposite sides, and I think all the other pages are supposed to be paired off differently, too. You'd think a professional translation would catch that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robviously posted:

The only disappointing thing about this series is knowing that it will probably never get the faithful anime adaptation it deserves. :argh:

Such is the Akamatsu curse. Forever and always to be loved by manga readers, ignored by anime watchers.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Silento posted:

The most obvious reason Fate would need Tota would be to use him as the new vessel for the Lifemaker, assuming Negi is the current one. The Lifemaker as Nagi was revived when Negi's blood was spilled in the Gravekeeper's Palace, so Fate could potentially want to seal the Lifemaker within Tota. However, I hope that's not it, because that would be lame and predictable. I expect better from Akamatsu. I'd like to believe that Fate wouldn't be that selfish, because he was fighting to save the world (his way) all the way back in Negima before he did a face-turn, and I think that it would be really out of character for him to sacrifice that just to save a friend. Hm. After typing that, it occurs to me that he might actually need Negi to save the world (again), and he's not doing it for entirely selfish reasons. Once more I will eagerly await next week!

If this means that we'll later get to see adult Negi, I'm all for it.

It might be that the plan to save the magic world was still ongoing, and Negi is a key part of ensuring that it's complete. At least, we know Negi and Fate's partnership was only going to last as long as it took to make Mars a safe planet for the magic world to be transported to, so if that plan wasn't completed when Negi got into whatever trouble he's in now, I could see Fate making a concentrated effort to try to get him back.

However, that all hinges on how much of that plan is complete, how much is still left to finish, and how necessary Negi is to that final bit, which are all answers we don't know. I really wish Kirie was down there to ask a question cause just one more answer would have been really, really helpful!

Also WHO THE gently caress ARE TOTA'S PARENTS/WHY DID FATE NEED TO KILL THEM AAAGGGGHHHH :supaburn:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

To be fair, even as early as Love Hina he had characters actually developing over time. It's undeniable that Keitaro at least grows the gently caress up over the course of the series. I mean I'd never call any of his series great or deep literature, but Akamatsu is good at what he does.

Considering how often it comes up, I guess I should probably read Love Hina. And reread Negima. gently caress, I think I'll just read Akamatsu's career, that shouldn't take more than a weekend right?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

I don't think we're likely to see the same development in UQ since he's already got his style pretty well hammered out.

Dude, it's still really early to make that call, I mean, if we're expecting this series to top out around 100 chapters, yeah, I can see that, but if it's gonna go for the long haul then I'd be downright shocked if his artstyle doesn't change oh so gradually.

Negima was not a bad looking series starting out, he had crazy huge crowd scenes with super detailed backgrounds from the getgo, those early chapters did not look bad at all. He simply shifted his style, which is something every artist does, they refine their technique, and they don't ever stop. I have no doubt in my mind that UQ Holder 300 chapters from now will make these early chapters look weak in comparison.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey all. Pardon me if I ramble a bit.

Recently I got sick, and decided to blitz through UQ Holder since I stopped reading it around, uh, chapter 40-ish? Right when they were gonna enter Mahora, dunno why but I didn't read the next chapter... or any until I heard the series was moving to a monthly format and remembered I hadn't read it for two years. So, yeah, read through the whole series, from chapter 1, in about three days, with breaks. It's five am now and I have work in three hours but whatever, here are my thoughts on the series that no one asked for and matter only to myself:

It's alright. But it's not as good as Negima.

Now, I'm gonna acknowledge that it's not a competition here, it's perfectly alright to have a follow-up manga that doesn't work as well as the previous one, particularly since Negima was way better than it had any right to be. But even when not comparing UQ Holder to Negima and just judging it on it's own merits, it still falls flat, and it comes down to two main reasons:

1) Touta isn't an interesting character
2) All of the side character only having working relationships with Touta, and not interesting relationships either

Frankly, Touta is just dull. He's shown some glimmers of being interesting, but so far he's gone over 100 chapters and has had basically no character development. You'd think, given the first few chapters, that he'd at least have had a revelation on what his dream is gonna be by now, or maybe started working on figuring out what he wants, but nope! We've seen him acknowledge the fact that he's aware of how shallow he is going through life with no dreams, no aspirations, no real incentive to pursue a goal of his own... but see, just acknowledging that fact doesn't change it. He's still basically in the same position as when he started.

That would be fine if he was surrounded by other interesting characters, but so far the series has done it's best to erase any potential from them so they don't steal the spotlight from Touta. Take Santa, who's introduction arc was where I stopped reading, and I'm sorry I did cause that arc was cool and Santa was a big part of why that arc was cool. Oh, but he's been basically ignored since then. Shows up in a couple of panels every chapter but hasn't been actively involved in anything since the training arc. Same with Ikku, actually he's been out of the loop even longer than that, and I don't think that Santa and Ikku have even interacted beyond a "Hello" and "Sorry for trying to kill you". Actually pretty much all the male characters have at best a couple of panels every few chapters to show that they still exist.

Well then how about Kuroumaru, Karin, or Kirie, characters who've been around for the majority of the series and who all have interesting powers and potentially interesting stories? Nothing that's not directly related to how they feel about Touta has been brought up for at least thirty chapters if not longer. Ever since the manga got back from the training arc it's been spinning it's wheels with no plot advancement at all and lots of girls inexplicably having the hots for Touta. Okay, there's been a little bit more than that going on, but looking back on the whole, when trying to trace what each character has gone through, all of them have had their focus on Touta, and while he gets to chat with Fate for a bit and hang out with Chachamaru, Ayaka and Zazie, none of the other characters are privy to any of that, which makes it seem like they're really out of the loop, like they don't matter beyond being friends with/having the hots for Touta. None of them have interacted with each other in meaningful ways, it's always either being around Touta or talking about Touta.

Oh but I guess Kuroumaru had some development in that one surprisingly sexist chapter where he literally couldn't do anything because he was a girl?

It's kinda frustrating cause you'd think having fewer characters would mean having more focus on developing those characters, right? So why is Kirie having a race against FuckingWho? and WhoTheFuck? with magically split apart Touta's? What are the stakes? Why does this matter? Why am I reading a manga with a bunch of ten year old girls getting naked and splashed with water? I feel very safe in saying that the jetski race with naked girls is probably the lowest point in both Negima and UQ Holder, and thank gently caress Negi showed up to end that nonsense.

Hopefully the most recent chapters and the switch to a monthly format are indications that Akamatsu is going to finally kick the plot into motion. Maybe we'll get some kickass fights soon, because one of the best ways a shounen manga can develop it's characters is with a kickass fight. gently caress we haven't had a proper, not-training-for-a-fight fight in ages. Speaking of, the early chapters had kickass immortality poo poo like getting Touta's head cut off or Karin eating a bullet fired in her mouth or the werewolf super-sonic heart attack, but recent chapters have pretty much dropped the whole immortality angle, so I kinda hope when the series gets back it works that kinda stuff back into the mix.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

Oh yeah! Can't wait. We'll get it "Early" I bet.

Does anyone know if Crunchyroll's deal extends to this new magazine?

Probably not; a new magazine would probably mean a new company, which would mean new negotiations for a new contract.

They'll probably just get a new deal and have it out relatively soon after it's Japan release.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus christ that was brutal

Also I will never not find the idea that characters in manga can talk however fast they want, cause that was way more than 37 seconds just based on how much people were talking. It makes me imagine people squeaking like chipmunks just to get everything they want to say out in time.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just binged through the last ten or so chapters since I hadn't read in a few months.

Kirie getting trolled constantly was good, all the fights are good, finally getting a proper ending to Negima drat near made me cry, and getting back to basics with some ruthless deaths in the middle of combat ala last chapter was good.

Really though I still miss Negima so much. UQ Holder is trying but it's not there yet, and given the flashback is basically spelling out how to beat the big bad in this timeline I'm suspecting that the rest of the series is gonna be heading in that direction so the mythical "character development" I've been craving will seemingly never materialize the way I want it to. Oh well. At least we'll get some good fights before the end.

Also I can't help but notice that because of timeline fuckery, we know who Negi ends up with in timeline A but not timeline UQ, so we technically still don't know who Touta's grandmother/alternate Negibowl winner is.

Seems the anime already has five episodes so I'll check that out sometime this week.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
... okay sure, why not

... OKAY, SURE, WHY NOT

Am I right in thinking this is partly the whole underclass uprising thing that was hinted at waaaaay back in the first mission where they had to protect a church?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann posted:

I swear, if that hand is doing what I think it's doing...

It totally is.

If they have enough information to discover Kirie's power, then they have enough information to sabotage it. Would make sense to target her in some way, since she's a large part of the reason team Negi didn't instantly win last time. Watch as this whole missile business turns out to be just a distraction.

My question is why didn't they have Tota kiss Kirie and stop time? Get all the time in the world to stop the missile that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread