Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Well I tore through those chapters in a single day, now back to waiting for months.

Honestly, of all the zombie apocalypse stories I've read, this series is by far the best. It strikes a great balance between body horror, the break down of society and the interpersonal tension of small groups under pressure that you expect in the genre without getting bogged down in the cynicism or wish fulfillment you tend to get in a lot of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

cafel posted:

Honestly, of all the zombie apocalypse stories I've read, this series is by far the best. It strikes a great balance between body horror, the break down of society and the interpersonal tension of small groups under pressure that you expect in the genre without getting bogged down in the cynicism or wish fulfillment you tend to get in a lot of stuff.

Hideo looks like the author.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hideo is the best. :allears:

dmboogie posted:

I KNEW that we were gonna get more about the trans dude from the other group than we initially saw, considering how little screentime he had before he was offed.
When was this? I don't remember that at all.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sindai posted:

When was this? I don't remember that at all.

Oda talks about her sibling, who fits the description of the person from Kurusu's group that got infected.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

dmboogie posted:

I was initially leery of the side arc, but it didn't last too long and revealed some interesting stuff. Confirming that England is hosed, hosed up mutant zombies... I do wonder what the new guy's deal is, but I also don't want to spend too much time away from Hideo and co. learning about him.
I figured the side arc took place in France, not England.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Having read the raws in French, recognizing the uniform of the soldier zombie at the beginning, and recognizing some of the architecture, it's most definitely France. Pretty sure the dude is in Paris and the fortress his girlfriend is calling from may be the Nantes Castle,but I'm not 100% sure on that last one.

JanVanHouten
Jun 6, 2011
Yup. The Chapter was set in Paris.
It was very fun to read since I live here. It's probably the first time I saw modern Paris looking "real" in a Manga. The background were probably made using photos.

I'm not sure where the girlfriend is supposed to be calling from.
The name of the Castle doesn't seem to be french.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone know what that French/Japanese pages say? I'm curious if it's interesting.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Pretty sure it's the French => Japanese translation for the two French chapters' dialogue.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So presumably the French guy was changed like Hiromi, since he had bite marks and gaps in his memory. It's really interesting that alot of the zombies seem to go non-hostile once they've been in that state for awhile.

Speaking of Hiromi, drat she's superhuman. Shot up 10 centimeters in 2 weeks, has enough strength to lift a person above her head like it's no thang. Her description of mental state was real interesting. Certainly proves there's a sort of hive mind going on, and a Kurusu is at least attempting to direct them.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
[quote="JanVanHouten" post="

I'm not sure where the girlfriend is supposed to be calling from.
The name of the Castle doesn't seem to be french.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Breton

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

redstormpopcorn posted:

Pretty sure it's the French => Japanese translation for the two French chapters' dialogue.
Yep, that's it. It's also really good French from what I saw, compared to how English can be butchered in manga.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Huh, I was slightly off with my guess, the castle named and pictured is probably Gaasbeek castle in Belgium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaasbeek_Castle

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can anyone summarize Boys on the Run because it seemed pretty eh from what I read compared to IAAH.

ViggyNash posted:

That side story was all kinds of messed up, and this world keeps getting stranger and stranger. Also, I'm glad the story's back on topic: Hideo being goofy in zombieland.

..I can't help but wonder..

Hideo's not exactly right in the head. Is this going to go Silent Hill?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
eh his hallucinations seem to be limited to when he is alone. Being around other people is pretty good for his mental health!

Now if you're asking if he is going to go all Kurusu since he got bit well then no idea on that one

vvvv his girlfriend bit him near the start

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 9, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Now if you're asking if he is going to go all Kurusu since he got bit well then no idea on that one

Wait what, he got bit? When did that happen?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A big flaming stink posted:

eh his hallucinations seem to be limited to when he is alone. Being around other people is pretty good for his mental health!

vvvv his girlfriend bit him near the start

He was also hallucinating while with his girlfriend and also in the manga office, too. Maybe not literally seeing things like the demonic imagery in the first few chapters, but definitely having conversations that only he could hear and talking to himself.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Wait what, he got bit? When did that happen?

He got bit, but as far as anyone could tell, she didn't break the skin because she bashed her own teeth out before going full zombie.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah but Hiromi got infected from a baby that bit her and she didnt get her skin broken either.

It's pretty likely that he didn't get an infection from his girlfriend but it is something to keep in mind.

also why are you guys talking in spoilers about something that happened at the very beginning of the series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Anatharon posted:

Can anyone summarize Boys on the Run because it seemed pretty eh from what I read compared to IAAH.
You shouldn't really be comparing the two. They may both be about losers(all of Kengo's works are) but the similarities end there.

I personally enjoy BOTR as much, if not more than IAAH. It's a "finding yourself" series. It can get pretty messed up sometimes but for the most part it's a really cringeworthy, enjoyable ride for this total shithead to come to terms with it and change for the better.

Not Masturbation Master Kurosawa levels of that, but he definitely has a significant and interesting growth arc over the course of the series. Unfortunately it seems it's been dropped by scanlators with like, 8 chapters to go before the ending or something? Also the romance is actually pretty great. Sometimes. Other times it makes you want to die.

In summary,

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

boys on the run

if you have a desire to read about a total shithead who never ever learns to change for the better check out Ressentiment. actually dont because the vast majority of the plot is the 40 year old protagonist trying to figure out how to have sex with the AI equivalent of a 14 year old girl

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ressentiment is great, it's a perfect example of someone given the opportunity to change their life for the better and then making the stupid, stupid decision not to and ruining everything they could have had. It's wonderfully cynical.

It also rips the poo poo out of otaku. It's incredibly unflattering to them, which is great.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I had to re-read the Paris chapter, I completely missed the shadow behind the windows.

Also something in the smoke has a lot of arms and something about it makes me think they're "eyelashes" :gonk:

GGpX
Apr 23, 2014
We just released a new volume.

http://reader.manga-download.org/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GGpX posted:

We just released a new volume.

http://reader.manga-download.org/

Oh wow, sweet! I assume you're party of the translation team then? Good work!

GGpX
Apr 23, 2014
Yeah, I do a bunch of stuff for Illuminati-Manga. I run the group, and scan/typeset/QC/translate (from French).

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Well I don't get it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well uh, those last few chapters sure were... something.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Judging from what Hideo was seeing, he was experiencing memories of other people. And since they reacted to him as though he were there, it might be some kind of hive mind? It might explain why Hiromi can somehow understand the 'dead.'

That's still a weird-rear end direction. :staredog:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
New volume :woop:

what the gently caress is going on :stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Going full-blown Fortress of the Apocalypse in here, jesus christ.

Let me know when the human-dogs, human-whales and human-seals start showing up.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It seems like all three Kurusu kind of fused together into a bizarre zombie-killing fatmass, introducing Hideo into it by accident. Wonder if that means he is special, like they are.

It looked completely hosed up and excellent though.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Wow. What the gently caress is going on. When the Zombies turned on each-other, it seems that some of them are lining up to turn into a centipede in chapter 165.
The fat guy monster looks like one of the Kurusu guys but he died right?

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It seems like all three Kurusu kind of fused together into a bizarre zombie-killing fatmass, introducing Hideo into it by accident. Wonder if that means he is special, like they are.

It looked completely hosed up and excellent though.

I count 8 limbs? Looks to me Takashi did not finish off 2knives-kurusu and 2shovels-kurusu and they fused.

Anyway whatever is going on, it's awesome. Thanks GGpX/illuminati-manga for another great volume.

e: Oh man I love that double page of the trio announcing "B-bath time!!" in the face of certain death

Webcormac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 11, 2014

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Just when I thought this manga couldn't get any weirder it reaches a whole new level. I wonder if this is peak weirdness.

Gaudia
Nov 4, 2011
Whatever the gently caress is happening right now, I love this manga so much.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I had a tenuous grasp of the plot before this mess. I don't know how much more I can take.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DiscoMouse posted:

I had a tenuous grasp of the plot before this mess. I don't know how much more I can take.

It's especially hard since it's real hard to tell what's real and what's not, considering that multiple people tend to hallucinate. The infected hallucinate, Kurusu hallucinate, Hideo hallucinates without being infected at all. Was that human centipede looking thing even real? At the time I kind of thought that the infected guy hallucinated it, but given recent developments it might well have been real.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The centipedes confirmed to be real based on that... thing? which the destroyed the cathedral.

But yeah, those last 2 chapters are definitely the current peak of weirdness.

Anyone else think Hideo was perceiving an amalgam of Hiromi and Oda when they came down the stairs?

Artum fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
I think that was Oda's sister that was part of the other group, but got infected and crossbowed by ski mask.

• Locked thread