Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Microsoft is big mad about people using customization apps, they're also blocking StartIsBack and probably any others. And just executables in general, but i think that one can be fixed with allowing apps from all sources and not just the Windows store.

https://youtu.be/g0WGO_1BjwM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

pofcorn posted:

Pissing me off : apparently ExplorerPatcher is a virus now. I'm a weirdo who likes the taskbar to the right...

They are saving you from yourself.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rawrbomb posted:

I assume they mean this, which I found at their github: https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/issues/3225

There's also https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/issues/3053 and even Raymond Chen: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20230324-00/?p=107966. I understand the MS developer position that it sucks having to spend time on spurious crash reports because people are doing weird undocumented hacks... But there's a reason people do it, and maybe they should focus that anger on the screwed up product teams rather than customers who want their productivity back.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
WFM user reports that after getting a new wireless keyboard, they randomly have letters and spaces appear like a key is stuck.

After spending large amounts of time troubleshooting, I figured out the issue. ..

They didn't remove the old keyboard USB fob, and a cat was sitting on the old keyboard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

joebuddah posted:

WFM user reports that after getting a new wireless keyboard, they randomly have letters and spaces appear like a key is stuck.

After spending large amounts of time troubleshooting, I figured out the issue. ..

They didn't remove the old keyboard USB fob, and a cat was sitting on the old keyboard.

WONTFIX, cat working as intended.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

joebuddah posted:

Working as intended

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a group that you can outsource user assistance tasks to that will sit on the phone for half an hour with your user base and talk them through things like following the MS Authenticator instructions to the letter and not losing their patience when the people asking for help decide to go completely off script and then get frustrated when things don't work? I need people with patience levels unheard of in the IT sector but a solid understanding of how to answer an M365 login prompt with the correct details.

Hell, if anybody is looking for their startup idea then this is it.

One of my current minions is like this probably because he's young enough to have not burnt out yet and I give him so much air cover from HR/upper management. Yes, he wears weird tshirts; yes, he's frequently late (or out with little warning); yes, he made a fuss about having to wear PPE over his glasses.

But he does such good user handholding...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

Everything else you can teach.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sfwarlock posted:

One of my current minions is like this probably because he's young enough to have not burnt out yet and I give him so much air cover from HR/upper management. Yes, he wears weird tshirts; yes, he's frequently late (or out with little warning); yes, he made a fuss about having to wear PPE over his glasses.

How weird are we talking with the t-shirts?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

How weird are we talking with the t-shirts?

Yeah that really jumped out to me, too lol. It’s ahegao hoodies isn’t it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i’m guessing insane clown posse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Tshirthell showcase