Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think its the old "Cagot" system of discrimination against catering chefs. Once a caterer, always a caterer. Bene probably brought the scorn upon himself by looking directly into the eyes of the restauranteurs or speaking at a volume above a quiet whisper in the presence of his fixed-locale betters.

Bene is a caterer? For some reason I didn't think that especially since he was a sous on Top Chef Masters. Also, I keep wondering if he has any relation to Paul Bartolotta but haven't been able to find anything online about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ochowie posted:

Bene is a caterer?

Yep, and his Top Chef bio is largely copy/pasted from the about us page on his website.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I understand you not believing me. But if you click the link in his bio in the OP, you'll see that what he owns and operates, "Indulge by Bene", is a catering company.

Maybe Odette fired his rear end for not winning the skydive challenge? I dunno, I was confused too.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I understand you not believing me. But if you click the link in his bio in the OP, you'll see that what he owns and operates, "Indulge by Bene", is a catering company.

Maybe Odette fired his rear end for not winning the skydive challenge? I dunno, I was confused too.

No I believe you. It was more an expression of surprise similar to what you were thinking about Odette.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I was just at China Poblano (Shirley Chung's place/former place) a few days ago, and the Lychee/Duck Tongue Taco and Beef Tendon/Oyster Taco was amazing.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 17, 2013

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Did anyone else get serious Ratatouille vibes from Bene? Dude just needs a hat with a mouse in it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

Sara Johannes – Minneapolis, MN
Executive chef, Shoyu at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport

Heh, we just passed through there and I might have picked that if I knew she was on the show. A Delta hub is a clever place for a restaurant, it probably gets more foot traffic than a big city would.

Instead we went to Twinburger, which was pretty good for airport food. I guess they are trying hard there.
http://heavytable.com/twinburger-at-msp-airport/

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Quickfire elimination tonight, right?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

There's no way that having Carrie make an eyes metaphor was an accident.

edit: A smoked bacon kale salad with an egg on top would be so good.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Every time they show Patty she just looks so sad. I'm tired of it.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I swear I've never seen this Travis dude before.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Technically speaking, making a biscuit better than the Commander's Palace one should put you in the bottom.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
These commercials featuring Top Chef contestants really displays why not just any chef can be on tv.

Lady Hancock
Feb 22, 2011

Love always comes in a hurricane!
The funniest part of the night was when Carlos announced that he doesn't sweat, apparently he is not human! It was great that Kale guy went home.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I was surprised he didn't go home at the Quickfire, when they were like "don't make a kale salad" and he made a kale salad.

Top Chef judging is always mystifying to me.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

amaranthine posted:

I was surprised he didn't go home at the Quickfire, when they were like "don't make a kale salad" and he made a kale salad.

Top Chef judging is always mystifying to me.

Salty to the point of inedible is a pretty good indicator of someone going home, I think. But the "I know you said explicitly to not do this but I did it anyway" is always annoyingly stupid.

Are they not doing the guest judge giving away a prize this season? I thought maybe they didn't do it last season either, but I remember Bob Kramer giving away a custom knife of his in a Quick Fire, so they probably did prizes during eliminations, yes?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scott808 posted:

Are they not doing the guest judge giving away a prize this season? I thought maybe they didn't do it last season either, but I remember Bob Kramer giving away a custom knife of his in a Quick Fire, so they probably did prizes during eliminations, yes?
I think we see more prizes during the mid to late episodes, the early ones are just to weed out the weakest chefs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm so tired of pouty 50's girl and pouty Nicholas who cannot bear to hear people talk about his eliminated crush.

But I am glad that Michael Sichel is going to be this season's Heather Terhune who damages his professional reputation through ugly contestant behaviour.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

But I am glad that Michael Sichel is going to be this season's Heather Terhune who damages his professional reputation through ugly contestant behaviour.

I would have chased him through the kitchen and crammed those peppers into his eye sockets. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah, that was just uncalled for. I'm pretty glad Nina got in the top three anyway.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not really liking any of the Chefs this year. They're attracting too many chefs with "impressive" resumes that have no personality, and now they're coupled with "lesser" chefs that have no personality

I'd rather a bunch of Chefs that have successful restaurants they built from the ground up and aren't necessarily nominated for a trillion awards than boring people that worked under some big name and coast on their James Beard nominations/awards

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Duro posted:

Not really liking any of the Chefs this year. They're attracting too many chefs with "impressive" resumes that have no personality, and now they're coupled with "lesser" chefs that have no personality

I'd rather a bunch of Chefs that have successful restaurants they built from the ground up and aren't necessarily nominated for a trillion awards than boring people that worked under some big name and coast on their James Beard nominations/awards

Maybe I'm misremembering the early seasons, but it seems like Top Chef really isn't the show it used to be when it comes to choosing appropriate contestants. It used to be that a James Beard nominated chef would not belong on the show, or if they would go on Top Chef Masters. Top Chef really should be for young, talented chefs who are at the beginning of their career and have yet to prove themselves. Its supposed to be for sous chefs and line cooks who dream about becoming successful, have some serious talent, but haven't had an opportunity yet. They should be embarrassed that they had a challenge where one of the judges was nominated for the same award this year as one of the contestants. Out of all the contestants I think there's only one sous chef this year, they've gone way off the rails.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
The show has never been about scrappy underdogs trying to prove themselves or whatever. It's always been about getting the best chefs to make the best food. There was a lower caliber of contestant in the early years because no successful chef with a good job would take a month off (which, for most potential applicants, realistically meant quitting their job) to be on a reality cooking show nobody's ever heard of. Now it's successful and famous, and the available contestants reflect that.

If that's not the show you want to watch, that's cool - but don't blame the show for being what it's always been. Go watch Masterchef or something.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

amaranthine posted:

The show has never been about scrappy underdogs trying to prove themselves or whatever. It's always been about getting the best chefs to make the best food. There was a lower caliber of contestant in the early years because no successful chef with a good job would take a month off (which, for most potential applicants, realistically meant quitting their job) to be on a reality cooking show nobody's ever heard of. Now it's successful and famous, and the available contestants reflect that.

If that's not the show you want to watch, that's cool - but don't blame the show for being what it's always been. Go watch Masterchef or something.

Well whatever the reason, I enjoyed the early years much better when it WAS scrappy underdogs trying to prove themselves. And I'm sure you can see that there's a big gap between professional chefs like Harold(Season 1) and home cooks like the contestants on Master Chef. I enjoy that middle ground more than either extreme.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Might I recommend a little-known show called 'Hell's Kitchen'. It has all the fierce competition and strong talent of Top Chef but features unknown chef's taking a shot at their dream. Once you see the sublime food and amazing talent of these hidden gems, you'll never go back to other cooking shows.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Who was the first James Beard nominee to compete? Pork Kevin in season 6 is the earliest I can recall, but I may be forgetting someone. Either way, even in season 1, line cooks and culinary school students never had a shot, even if they made up more of the contestant pool. The show's been about executive chefs and chef/owners for almost as long as it's been on.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Still, I think there was something better about a larger cast of people that 'jerk off to Joel Robuchon' than a cadre of careerist ladder climbers. I guess the window of opportunity is closed, but the souschef oddballs that could work magic out of nowhere, like Season 6's Eli, is more appealing television than rigid 'I do American farm-to-table plates!', types that are there to boost their already successful ventures.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Still, I think there was something better about a larger cast of people that 'jerk off to Joel Robuchon' than a cadre of careerist ladder climbers. I guess the window of opportunity is closed, but the souschef oddballs that could work magic out of nowhere, like Season 6's Eli, is more appealing television than rigid 'I do American farm-to-table plates!', types that are there to boost their already successful ventures.

Keep the hope alive, its always darkest before the Dawn of Pork Jesus! Must we remind ourselves of Season 5 in New York?!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

the souschef oddballs that could work magic out of nowhere, like Season 6's Eli

If I'm remembering right (and I might not be), Eli was an executive chef when they filmed and had been for a while. They just really played up the Sous Chef thing because when he was a sous chef it was for Richard Blais.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Toast Museum posted:

Who was the first James Beard nominee to compete? Pork Kevin in season 6 is the earliest I can recall, but I may be forgetting someone. Either way, even in season 1, line cooks and culinary school students never had a shot, even if they made up more of the contestant pool. The show's been about executive chefs and chef/owners for almost as long as it's been on.

Both Voltaggio's had James Beard nominations (for The Bazaar and VOLT) before that season also. Jen Carroll wasn't a nominee but she was Chef de Cuisine for Eric Ripert at 10 Arts which is probably more impressive. Las Vegas is probably the most talented and acclaimed cast the show has ever had and not coincidentally it was also the best season the show has ever had.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

uranus posted:

Might I recommend a little-known show called 'Hell's Kitchen'. It has all the fierce competition and strong talent of Top Chef but features unknown chef's taking a shot at their dream. Once you see the sublime food and amazing talent of these hidden gems, you'll never go back to other cooking shows.

I'm sorry but the quality of chefs in Hell's Kitchen are nowhere near the quality of chefs from even the first Top Chef. I've always wondered if the Hell's Kitchen producers go around turn off the contestant's burners so Ramsay can yell at people for serving raw food.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

No matter how obnoxious some of the personalities that show up on Top Chef can be, they pale in comparison to the sheer trashiness of almost every contestant on Hell's Kitchen. I like some drama with my reality cooking TV, but I can't stand the bitching in Hell's Kitchen for more than five minutes.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hell's Kitchen isnt about cooking. Its about catering to an audience that likes to watch people get shouted at. Nobody learns anything, nobody gets better. Its just about knocking out John Dories and waiting for your turn for an over the top shouting. It would be the exact same show if it was about model airplanes or wool tapestry.

"This Messerschmidt is still tacky Shaniqua, DEW IT AGAIN!!"

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Ochowie posted:

I'm sorry but the quality of chefs in Hell's Kitchen are nowhere near the quality of chefs from even the first Top Chef. I've always wondered if the Hell's Kitchen producers go around turn off the contestant's burners so Ramsay can yell at people for serving raw food.

I don't know if they go that far but they certainly tamper with cooking equipment to cause problems.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Debbie Metallica posted:

I don't know if they go that far but they certainly tamper with cooking equipment to cause problems.

There were also the occasions when the electrical power, followed by the backup generators mysteriously just :airquote: shut down :airquote: during service. HK contestants are more often given tools to directly sabotage each other, and the elimination process is designed solely to generate drama, bitterness, betrayal, and spite. Compare that to Top Chef, where chefs are judged solely on what they served in that round (and trash-talking another chef's dish to the judges is generally not done), and are occasionally given passes / mulligans /do-overs (the kitchen fire in the Island Banquet episode of season 8 comes to mind, and I think there was one season where they let them re-do Restaurant Wars).

HK is more of a reality show with a cooking framework than a genuine cooking competition.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 22, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

physeter posted:

I would have chased him through the kitchen and crammed those peppers into his eye sockets. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

It didn't bother me. It feels like exactly what the judges would've said to do had something happened and the incident caused him to rush plating or miss deadline.

I mean, it's a plate with your loving name on it. That shouldn't happen to begin with

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When they get down to the last 3-4 people, the chefs in HK are usually pretty decent. But the whole point of the show is watching Gordon Ramsey get angry.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Hopefully this is a Four Loko themed elimination.

edit: Emeril doesn't give a poo poo about your usual drawing knives for teams bullshit.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I can really do without that guy with the Asian fetish. It's really creepy at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerRose
Mar 17, 2009
Fallen Rib
Already hoping Travis crashes and burns horribly in this challenge because oh my god shut upppppp

• Locked thread