Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

So in all my years of playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, there are still some companions I've never used or taken anywhere. I'm just now figuring out that Keldorn is a busted rear end "i win" button and I'm not sure how I ever got along without him. That said, is there a more amicable solution to his "family problems" than "murder the dude who looked after his kids and imprison his wife?" I picked the dialogue options that I thought would lead to some kind of understanding, went and met Keldorn some hours later in his temple, and he's like "well that's done, back to your quest."

You have to tell him his wife is important and go meet the guy she's "cheating" Keldorn with. Push Keldorn to forgive the guy, he goes back to talk with his wife, and if you tell him "WE GOTTA SAVE IMOEN DUDE!" he will join back with you in a day's time. Or you could not be a total selfish dick-wad and let him retire with his wife and kids :colbert:

:lmao: Nah, take him with you and swap him for big bro, leave him to rot in a planar prison for all eternity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rappaport posted:

You have to tell him his wife is important and go meet the guy she's "cheating" Keldorn with. Push Keldorn to forgive the guy, he goes back to talk with his wife, and if you tell him "WE GOTTA SAVE IMOEN DUDE!" he will join back with you in a day's time. Or you could not be a total selfish dick-wad and let him retire with his wife and kids :colbert:

:lmao: Nah, take him with you and swap him for big bro, leave him to rot in a planar prison for all eternity

I guess that makes sense. I avoided the dialogue choices that made it look like he would murder the interloper and told him he should talk to his wife, but I guess that's not enough? So if i'd gone and "talked" to the other dude it wouldn't have ended in bloodshed?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, the dude confesses they didn't do the dirty and Keldorn sees the situation for what it is. No one needs to die, chaosapiant :ohdear:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rappaport posted:

Yeah, the dude confesses they didn't do the dirty and Keldorn sees the situation for what it is. No one needs to die, chaosapiant :ohdear:

Ah well, at least my dispel and invisibility purge button is back in my party and all is right with the world.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

chaosapiant posted:

Ah well, at least my dispel and invisibility purge button is back in my party and all is right with the world.

That button is called Haer Dalis who needs Keldorn

At least that's what i'm telling myself this time around on my current playthrough. Lets see how it goes!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Considering getting back into BG1/2 after finishing BG3, what mods are available that use EEEx aside from the modules that come with it? The description of it made me excited there might be QoL mods like displaying AoEs when casting a spell or the like, but I haven't seen any EEEx mods besides the included sample ones.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

chaosapiant posted:

I guess that makes sense. I avoided the dialogue choices that made it look like he would murder the interloper and told him he should talk to his wife, but I guess that's not enough? So if i'd gone and "talked" to the other dude it wouldn't have ended in bloodshed?

Keldorn is surprisingly normal and doesn't really go murder people

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Considering getting back into BG1/2 after finishing BG3, what mods are available that use EEEx aside from the modules that come with it? The description of it made me excited there might be QoL mods like displaying AoEs when casting a spell or the like, but I haven't seen any EEEx mods besides the included sample ones.

https://github.com/Bubb13/Bubbs-Spell-Menu-Extended

If you're using SCS, EEEx's Shift+mouse over to see what buffs are active on an enemy is very useful.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

v1ld posted:

https://github.com/Bubb13/Bubbs-Spell-Menu-Extended

If you're using SCS, EEEx's Shift+mouse over to see what buffs are active on an enemy is very useful.

This mod doesn’t work on an unmodded UI right? Just with UI mods? When I tried installing it I get all kinds of errors when booting the game and I’m using EEex w/ Infinity Loader.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

goblin week posted:

Keldorn is surprisingly normal and doesn't really go murder people

He will threaten and kill Viconia basically completely unprovoked. You could argue that his overreaction is actually heroic because Viconia is essentially a polite Hitler who just wants to do some torture and slavery, but bro. She hasn't actually done anything to you. Plus he'll bro down with chaotic evil Korgan. All I'm saying is he probably bought a house next to the witch burning platform for a reason.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 16, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Randallteal posted:

He will threaten and kill Viconia basically completely unprovoked. You could argue that his overreaction is actually heroic because Viconia is essentially a polite Hitler who just wants to do some torture and slavery, but bro. She hasn't actually done anything to you. Plus he'll bro down with chaotic evil Korgan. All I'm saying is he probably bought a house next to the witch burning platform for a reason.

It's because paladins are cops

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Woolie Wool posted:

For displayed AoE

quote:

SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show AOE','1'

Find this line in your Baldur.lua file. It is 0 at the end by default. And there you have it, no more torching or webbing yourself.

..eh..make sure you only change the 0 to a 1, and nothing else int the line or it wont work..
I think the balder lua file is stored in My Documents or something in Windows, you can open the file in notepad.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

This mod doesn’t work on an unmodded UI right? Just with UI mods? When I tried installing it I get all kinds of errors when booting the game and I’m using EEex w/ Infinity Loader.

It shouldn't have any dependencies on any other mods afaik. The page I linked says the author tested it with base EET which doesn't have any UI mods. IIIRC it worked for me too in EET with just EEUITweaks and no actual UI mod.

What kind of errors are you seeing? What does your infinity loader config file have in it?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Randallteal posted:

IIRC he respects Korgan for being totally honest and forthcoming about being an evil prick. And to be fair, Korgan is totally upfront about murdering his last party. You know where you stand with that guy.

Aggroing on Viconia is messed up though and seems more like something Anomen would do, if he wasn’t such a dingus

Anyways Keldorn is absurdly good and only gets better with Carsomyr, if you can stomach turning him into a delinquent dad

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 17, 2024

Nethalin
Mar 16, 2024

The Shame Boy posted:

That button is called Haer Dalis who needs Keldorn

At least that's what i'm telling myself this time around on my current playthrough. Lets see how it goes!

I really hated Haer'Dalis as a kid because I thought the character was a fae, gay, dramatic queen whose dialogue didn't make sense to me half the time. As an adult that's why he's maybe my favorite new party member in BG2. A planes-jumping thespian who has Seen Some poo poo is probably the most plausible new character to join the group, whereas a Bhaalspawn adopting Aerie feels like child abuse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I used level one npc to turn Aerie into a Kensai/Assassin and it made her moppiness a lot more tolerable when she was popping an invisibility potion then exploding a dude with one hit.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I always found Haer'Dalis to be a boring nihilist. His kit is so drat good, though...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

IIRC he respects Korgan for being totally honest and forthcoming about being an evil prick. And to be fair, Korgan is totally upfront about murdering his last party. You know where you stand with that guy.

Aggroing on Viconia is messed up though and seems more like something Anomen would do, if he wasn’t such a dingus

Anyways Keldorn is absurdly good and only gets better with Carsomyr, if you can stomach turning him into a delinquent dad

Anomen is too horny for Vicky to think about hurting her

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I always let Keldorn go be with his family (and I like to think that I discreetly slip some pamphlets for an anger management seminar into his backpack when I do)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

For displayed AoE

I think the balder lua file is stored in My Documents or something in Windows, you can open the file in notepad.

:eyepop: Why isn't this exposed in the UI?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any UI mods that are good, aside from Dragonspear UI++?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Depends on what you like. Lefreut's UI restores the games' original UI to the EEs and significantly improves on it if you like that look - it also lets you pick the color theming from each of the 3 games to use across all of them (I like BG1s yellow/golden colors best for eg).

Infinity UI is by the DUI++ author and more in the same vein, looks cool but I've never tried it.

I recently tried out Lefreut's EEUITweaks instead of running an actual UI mod and have come to like it. It's a modular set of tweaks that doesn't take over the whole UI. My biggest beef with the native UI is the big bars used as background on the left and right sides. This mod lets me get rid of the left bar and its icons entirely, while retaining only the character cards from the right side - which I find perfect. I use a couple more of its tweaks.

The feature unique to DUI++ is the single combined inventory scheme where you can drag and drop items across the whole party. That is a very cool feature to have.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Woolie Wool posted:

:eyepop: Why isn't this exposed in the UI?
It works really jankily. Better than nothing but would draw a lot of attention for being weird if it was just a normal option for anyone to turn on.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

v1ld posted:

Depends on what you like. Lefreut's UI restores the games' original UI to the EEs and significantly improves on it if you like that look - it also lets you pick the color theming from each of the 3 games to use across all of them (I like BG1s yellow/golden colors best for eg).

Infinity UI is by the DUI++ author and more in the same vein, looks cool but I've never tried it.

I recently tried out Lefreut's EEUITweaks instead of running an actual UI mod and have come to like it. It's a modular set of tweaks that doesn't take over the whole UI. My biggest beef with the native UI is the big bars used as background on the left and right sides. This mod lets me get rid of the left bar and its icons entirely, while retaining only the character cards from the right side - which I find perfect. I use a couple more of its tweaks.

The feature unique to DUI++ is the single combined inventory scheme where you can drag and drop items across the whole party. That is a very cool feature to have.

Regarding the UI sidebars, you can already get rid of either side by pressing Y or U, or the buttons at the top.

That said, the Original UI mod you mentioned sounds pretty cool, I might give that a go. Thank you!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Regarding the UI sidebars, you can already get rid of either side by pressing Y or U, or the buttons at the top.

Sure but that also loses the character portraits which I do want, along with status effects and any decorations that mods like EEEx add to it. The existing options are too binary.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

v1ld posted:

Sure but that also loses the character portraits which I do want, along with status effects and any decorations that mods like EEEx add to it. The existing options are too binary.

Right, but you can get rid of just one side at a time already? You can drop the left bar and keep the right one. That's in the base EE games.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Right, but you can get rid of just one side at a time already? You can drop the left bar and keep the right one. That's in the base EE games.

But then you get the full right bar, with background and icons for actions that are already on keyboard.

With EEUITweaks, I can get only the character portraits with no (imo) ugly big bar stretching across the right side of the screen.

It may not be clear: I want only the character portraits, floating free of any bar.

It's what you see in DUI++ too, just the team's portraits on the right side, no bar or icons for actions. Unlike DUI++, I can even completely get rid of icons for things like the priest or mage books with EEUITweaks - they're already bound to the keyboard and I don't need UI elements on screen to get to them.

What the game gives via those two keys is not the same thing, just the option to hide all of the bar or none of the bar, no modularity to what is hidden or shown.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

v1ld posted:

But then you get the full right bar, with background and icons for actions that are already on keyboard.

With EEUITweaks, I can get only the character portraits with no (imo) ugly big bar stretching across the right side of the screen.

It may not be clear: I want only the character portraits, floating free of any bar.

It's what you see in DUI++ too, just the team's portraits on the right side, no bar or icons for actions. Unlike DUI++, I can even completely get rid of icons for things like the priest or mage books with EEUITweaks - they're already bound to the keyboard and I don't need UI elements on screen to get to them.

What the game gives via those two keys is not the same thing, just the option to hide all of the bar or none of the bar, no modularity to what is hidden or shown.

Ah, got it! That makes more sense, thank you for explaining. I may check those out. I like DS UI++ but it makes my game super crash happy and didn’t work at all with EEex.

Edit: do spells like Doom and other saving throw conditions effect the Mace of Disruption’s chance to destroy undead?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 17, 2024

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: do spells like Doom and other saving throw conditions effect the Mace of Disruption’s chance to destroy undead?

Yes they will, the instakill is a saving throw effect.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yall ever read any good bg fanfiction? And not mods lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shard posted:

yeah it's called "elminster: the making of a mage" by ed greenwood

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Elminster is one of the protagonists of the Sandrah mod, and Shard specifically requested no mods :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shard posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I gave the drizzt novels a shot since I had some audible credits and boy does the author like to use the term "females" a lot

Passable disposable fantasy otherwise

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ok going that route what is the best d&d books? And if you want to give more recommendations what are the best high fantasy books for that matter

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Plenty of bg let’s plays

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shard posted:

Ok going that route what is the best d&d books? And if you want to give more recommendations what are the best high fantasy books for that matter

Just read Pratchett

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Books are for nerds.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

I gave the drizzt novels a shot since I had some audible credits and boy does the author like to use the term "females" a lot

Passable disposable fantasy otherwise

This is A Thing with drow, they also call men "males", it is really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Woolie Wool posted:

This is A Thing with drow, they also call men "males", it is really dumb

No the author calls catty brie, a human, a female a lot too