Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Exercu posted:

I just watched the first episode and, uh, yeah, it's the Genius, alright. The OST obviously can't be as unhinged as the Korean one, but I thought it was a solid opening episode.

ORBIT stop talking about space, you're driving everyone nuts

this just means i need to put extreme ways dot mp3 on my soundboard just to get that dopamine hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Also just watched the first episode and will confirm that it is more The Genius. We've got the fantastic editing with misdirection and foreshadowing. We've got people who think they've figured the game out only to have missed crucial information. Only things missing are Jang Dong-min and Hong Jin-ho (and the music as previously mentioned).

Edit: and also screaming at the TV when someone does something stupid.

Anaconda Rifle fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 26, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's the fifth season, basically.

The first game was good, although not very original, just a werewolf variant. The french (Canadian? I can't remember) guy seems a capable player.
In the second episode (watching right now) I lol'ed at the buffet with lobster vs the food on prison.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, it's the fifth season, basically.

The first game was good, although not very original, just a werewolf variant. The french (Canadian? I can't remember) guy seems a capable player.
In the second episode (watching right now) I lol'ed at the buffet with lobster vs the food on prison.

French-Canadian, yeah. Funny bit to bring in another professional Starcraft player, but this one's a foreigner.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok ok i'll get back to watching bloody game season 2 so i can watch the devil's plan

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Finally got a chance to watch the first ep and HOLY poo poo IT'S GENIUS S5!

So happy this is back in my life. For years Jung Jong-yeon had said that he had no plans to ever do more Genius, so I had given up hope. Thank you Netflix and whatever bags of money you dropped on his doorstep.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Day 1 was good but man, day 2 relied way too much on luck; I felt really bad for the go player lady who nearly came in last through no fault of her own. I was waiting for someone to pull a surprise win with a clever rule but no, like half that game was just rolling dice and hoping for a good number.

I did notice something, but maybe someone who understands Korean can tell me if this couldn't be done with the available blocks--they mentioned a "nearest office" tile near the start, then dismissed it because you wouldn't get to use the benefits, but it seemed to me they were expecting a contestant to have a rule that triggers while they're in the starting space, thus teleporting them all the way to the office behind them, just three spaces away from the end instead of the one four spaces ahead.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Argue posted:

Day 1 was good but man, day 2 relied way too much on luck; I felt really bad for the go player lady who nearly came in last through no fault of her own. I was waiting for someone to pull a surprise win with a clever rule but no, like half that game was just rolling dice and hoping for a good number.

I did notice something, but maybe someone who understands Korean can tell me if this couldn't be done with the available blocks--they mentioned a "nearest office" tile near the start, then dismissed it because you wouldn't get to use the benefits, but it seemed to me they were expecting a contestant to have a rule that triggers while they're in the starting space, thus teleporting them all the way to the office behind them, just three spaces away from the end instead of the one four spaces ahead.

I'm guessing that a rule can't move you backwards unless it states that it does.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Argue posted:

I mean, at the end of the day, what destroyed the minority alliance was that they had picked rules that almost never helped them, whereas the majority alliance had rules that synergised and amplified each other. Like even with dogshit luck, she still made it in way before the minority alliance people because the minority alliance people just... didn't have any way to conveniently get out of prison.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

show is amazing, i recommend watching the episodes in pairs (so far) and stopping just before they do an x hours later segment at the end of e2 and e4 respectively

regarding the episodes in a bit more detail (i avoided all the preview material):
e1: none of the cast jumped out to me, but it's good to get a basically entirely fresh cast. the main match is one of the most developed mafia variants i've seen on these shows, and it was hilarious for once how it seemed that most players were inexperienced at it .. for once. you can see everyone's roles a mile away but that just made it even funnier rather than annoying with how everything went down. not entirely a fan of the editing splitting up the match, but hey gotta encourage binge watching. it's also great when the editing team makes it clear when they dislike a person and mr science sure is making that part obvious

e2: yeah the main match went the only way it could with the overall players' understanding of the game. guillaume had to unfortunately play up the ignorant foreigner aspect to survive, and it speaks volumes to how polite the rest of the cast are that no one called him out for it being an obvious feint. i hoped dong-jae was just acting up in the main match given his role, but no the bonus game showed us everything we need to know about his character

e3: pre-game i wondered why guillaume was deciding to go into the big money alliance when i vaguely recalled him only having 2? pieces not enough to have a comfortable cushion anyway. i really liked the flexibility of the main match and how they reduced the length of the board from what i'd expect in the genius. seeing the escape chain was neat, but it emphasised how screwed the pieces-alliance was for just making a tiny alliance and forcing the rest of the cast to work together to survive

e4: rip guillaume, he really got eliminated through association and the big alliance trying to hold back the other alliance than them trying to target him specifically. i mean he's right he lost because of his decisions, but that goes back to trusting dong-jae because ???. it's also hilarious to see dong-jae trying to convince himself he's the victim trying to survive compares to his antics the day before and the pure arrogance of the rest of the team. the bonus game was frankly insane and designed for failure, but whoops turns out the cast focused on just the right aspects and happened to have someone with amazing short-term memory

overall thoughts after e4: again hilarious that the majority dismiss the idea of working together to let as many people survive right now.. when the show hasn't even implied that you're actively eliminating other people. at least try and increase the pot before backstabs start happening, but i suppose they designed the bonus games to make sure some co-operative aspect remains and it helps reduce tensions. the newer pieces being different.. i have no idea why the immediate thought is that the newer pieces must be better and not the original ones which would be in shorter dwindling supply and something that requires you to deal or beat someone else. prison is interesting, and i'm amazed the beds haven't been torn apart, amateurs

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 27, 2023

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Happy to report that this show has it. The Dutch version of The Genius never really did it for me, but just watched all the way up until the first prize match was about to start and I feel like this show is going to bring it.

Interesting that whoever's got the rights to The Genius is trying to syndicate it to different countries and everything but the original creator is out here taking Netflix.

Pinterest Mom posted:

French-Canadian, yeah. Funny bit to bring in another professional Starcraft player, but this one's a foreigner.
I was laughing at that too. They did YellOw and slayers boxer, clearly they like the OG starcraft players so this time they went even earlier. Pretty sure Grr.. was the first big name ever and then got surpassed soon after by Jinho and Yohwan (Yellow and Boxer).

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 27, 2023

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

here's the translated rules for episode 3's main match curtesy of baechusquad as always:

https://twitter.com/SquadBaechu/status/1707056572613198064

korean makes this weird but it's better than what the show did

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This first prize match is great. ORBIT is incredible as a character, and Guilliaume and Dongjoo killing every round just in time for travel YouTuber dude to get the credit was great. I’m surprised the YouTuber cast members are such fun

edit: Oof just finished e3 and e4. Guillaume going home was unfortunate after I was just impressed by his skill in the previous prize match! This show has one major change from The Genius in replacing death matches with prize matches and I don't like it-- I don't like that a potentially strong player can go out without having to be defeated in a death match. What I will say is that although it being him that left was bad luck, his "side" did deserve it for writing a bunch of useless personal rules. Not sure how much it was his fault also to be on a minority side of things and not just the luck of the first main match putting him there, but possibly he could've done some work to get out of that spot. Although I found him more interesting than the Go player, she had the worst luck imaginable and still finished ahead of them because her side was both bigger and had better rules.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 28, 2023

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Ep 4 Lawyer lady has nerves of steel to crush the game that seemed pretty impossible to me. Not only is it difficult, you get punished for giving a wrong answer both individually and as a team and there is an easy way out by passing. Not having the Go player who I assume has good visual acumen to help out also seemed have to doomed the team as no one felt confident.

I guess the old trick of saying out loud things to remember them better holds true with everyone mentioning the unusual things in the Where's Waldo picture.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Netflix released another 5 episodes, which is too much to get through at midnight when I have work the next day!

I managed to watch Eps 5 and 6, and just want to talk about the end of the ep 5-6 main match. It really sucks that Dong-jae got eliminated and betrayed when he was just completely sincere and honest the entire match and it was all a huge misunderstanding...but man did I feel TERRIBLE for Hye-Sung! She literally did nothing wrong, and got killed for no reason. If Yu-min really thought Dong-jae had betrayed them, then shouldn't she just reveal his number to the other team? Why did she have to tell them Hye-sung's number as well? Hye-sung just running around in a panic because she realized she had just gotten betrayed for no reason and was about to die was just sad to watch.

I also noticed that Dong-jae had 0 points at the end while Hye-sung had 1 point, so my theory is that ORBIT was the only one on the other team that didn't write her number, probably because he agreed she had done nothing wrong, but of course the rest of the team didn't care and were all too happy to kill her off for the extra point/piece.

Rooting for Seok-jin and Si-won now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

for those wanting to watch in chunks eps 5-6 go together well without a major cliffhanger/flash forward. ep 7 is fine on its own weirdly. watching 8-9 together, but skip the flash-forward at the end of e8.

e5: dong-jae setting himself up to betray the girls. ..orbit setup the "top dog" situation? lol no, i remember episode 3 happening and the big pieces alliance being the first self-described group. seok-jin really is that team's strategist he's the only one grasping that keeping the team around is a bad idea for him and reinforcing that any group exists to anyone "neutral" is just going to end badly. secret number looks good but + seems just busted even with <20 and >179 rules. point system encourages betrayals too. betting on who'll have the lowest piece count (but aren't eliminated) is odd, but encourages targetting one person. at least everyone's seeing through the big pieces alliance's strategy. you always need a third person to figure out the order, but on my first pass of these rules i did miss "must each submit one ticket". really interesting game, except uh they keep trusting the big piece alliance members anyway????

e6: well happy to see dong-jae go. i don't really have any tolerance for someone like dong-jae who is emotionally-immature, kept trying to betray people and then acting upset when it backfires. the whole "was it 138 or 158??" gaslighting was pretty disgusting last episode tbh. for all he says he was keeping his options open on quietly betraying them there. hye-sung was weirdly naive, yumin i'd expect it from given she is the mensa player iirc?? lmao kwaktube "i have an excuse not to shower" what a freak. lol seok-jin thinks dong-jae could have finished 1st/2nd? lmao. wow he has an insanely skewed perspective of dong-jae's ability, that wasn't just an act for ORBIT? let's just tell everyone about the safe lmao. word tower is assembling english words? wha. another language game is such a strange choice. got to see they got a bigger pot, and lol at kwaktube editing for the prison bet. still curious what's up with the pieces as it goes 1, 2, 3 slots so far

e7: i mean i guess you can slot them together but that doesn't gain you any information... right? kwaktube gets the most flattering shots. orbit please just shut up lol. huh kwaktube never solved the rings puzzle weird. jeez the main match is complicated for scoring, good luck alliances lol. the game itself is weirdly co-operative, but you can't plan around the final scores. the secret conditions are a nice twist to allow reversals while being honest about your animals in an alliance though. seungkwan please show some initiative... yikes seok-jin "feels like i'm watching the fall of the welfare state", and his other comments are just being annoyed at an alliance working together. yes, the players should think of an end-game but trying to survive until then is still a valid strategy albeit one that increases the number of opponents for him. i think seok-jin severely underestimates how much more planning a big alliance needs especially in this game compared to trying to play solo (and is probably pissed at how much of his alliance have been eliminated). either way the majority alliance has to fall apart eventually, but this is more interesting imo. for round 5's draws i get the feeling people didn't understand this game fundamentally. holy poo poo 4 people finished with 0 points including seok-jin lmao. lol even afterwards he's pissed at the game not being individual

e8: seok-jin suspicious about people being friendly to each other and playing board games lol. okay so there was a code hidden in the pieces that they somehow never saw earlier. good footage of seok-jin going mad trying to solve the lament configuration there. oooh 3 teams today for the prize game and no communicating? really trying to minimise the pot getting bigger. red on both sides??? what???? lmao at the blue fuckup later balancing the secondary scale. did they forget what the main scale was? oof the math fuckup on seok-jin's side, lucky this wasn't individual. huh just next year? i guess. finally a second puzzle is solved. main match: laying grass seems really cool and i'm surprised a game like this has never came up before. starting tomorrow no players will go to prison so if you want the prison gimmick to work get in there tonight

e9: not much to say about the main game itself, great to watch not much to content on, other than wtf seok-jin way to make more friends. wanting to be prison for the last night is a hell of an excuse there. rip seon-woo, the rob tile mechanic is absurdly powerful and i need to check the rules on its limitations again. the bonus game is interesting in concept but rather boring to watch hope you don't have faceblindness. what year is it lol, but hey the pot increases and there's a rather straightforward cliffhanger

thoughts so far: it's been fun to watch and having 8 people left with 3 episodes to go is interesting. for all i've said seok-jin could really try playing with the cast that is here rather than thinking there's a hyper-competitive individual cast around. he keeps going off on his own and refusing to be a part of a group out of what seems to be a lack of respect for the rest of the cast. that driving him to want to be 'the one who opens the safe' and eliminating seon-woo to get some airtime and a critical story-telling moment in the show isn't going to make the rest of the cast happy to work with him later

qbert posted:

Netflix released another 5 episodes, which is too much to get through at midnight when I have work the next day!

I managed to watch Eps 5 and 6, and just want to talk about the end of the ep 5-6 main match. It really sucks that Dong-jae got eliminated and betrayed when he was just completely sincere and honest the entire match and it was all a huge misunderstanding...but man did I feel TERRIBLE for Hye-Sung! She literally did nothing wrong, and got killed for no reason. If Yu-min really thought Dong-jae had betrayed them, then shouldn't she just reveal his number to the other team? Why did she have to tell them Hye-sung's number as well? Hye-sung just running around in a panic because she realized she had just gotten betrayed for no reason and was about to die was just sad to watch.

I also noticed that Dong-jae had 0 points at the end while Hye-sung had 1 point, so my theory is that ORBIT was the only one on the other team that didn't write her number, probably because he agreed she had done nothing wrong, but of course the rest of the team didn't care and were all too happy to kill her off for the extra point/piece.

Rooting for Seok-jin and Si-won now.

yeah hye-sung didn't really deserve a boot to going along with dong-jae, but he's done everything he could to set his reputation in the show and still they went along with him, glad only one person was dragged down with him

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Episode 6: it's pretty funny that the world's most untrustworthy man lost because he didn't betray anyone.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just finished Ep 9. What a wild series of events. The Yeon-woo elimination seemed so cold-blooded, but then the reveal of who was going to get sent to prison coupled with the announcement that this was the last chance for anyone to go to prison, and it all made sense. This is like some K-Drama poo poo!

I knew they were going to end the ep on the safe being opened!

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
I absolutely loved the Slumdog Millionaire sequence in episode 4.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

through e5 and e6. man sucks to lose Dong Jae. He was one of the more fun players in there. Once again i find myself really wishing we had a death match so he'd have a chance to defend himself. i dunno why people act like he's so untrustworthy, he screwed someone once in the first game when he helped the assassins win. And the person he really lied to and tricked, the officer Seok Jin, ended up becoming part of his alliance going forward! The rest of the players formed against him because after that he had his own small alliance going, and that alliance had the most pieces, and being on separate sides just grew into a lot of distrust back and forth.

For his part Dongmae was 100% loyal to his alliance with no cross-team treachery the next match (dice jail thing), and this time he went off to try to branch out and make new allies.

Wiggly wayne you have some weird takes imo, he wasn't "gaslighting" hyesun and yumin about not getting the number written down. That was simply genuine confusion that they then worked through successfully, and he didn't betray them. Definitely hurt seeing he and Hyesun go not for failing at the game, and not for betraying people, but one of them for being wrongly suspected of betrayal and the other just as a bystander. Oof. Lots of feelings going on in the aftermath of them dying.

Orbit still rocks and I don't mind rooting for people from both sides, so I like him and Dong joo a lot despite them being on the counter side from Seok Jin and Si won who I also like a lot. Those are prob my top four, with the travel youtuber also standing out at least as a character if not as one of my faves.

So far this game still hasn't had any huge genius moments of someone pulling something off really spectacular. Dong Jae with Guillaume in the opening game I guess was the closest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ep 3 wow, the anyond uses escape ticket -> gets escape ticket is such a powerful self-synergizing team option, if the whole team had taken it they would each have like 8 and be able to blitz the game the moment they hit an office and could cash them in for free rolls

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The ambigiuty on how mistakes were just mistake or deliberate deception is one of the main features of a show like this. With thousands of hours of footage the producers can gaslight the viewer into anything they want to for dramatic tension. Insert a 1/2 second shot of someone looking satisfied and you immediately begin to doubt everything that happened before. This can become outright manipulation by editing a shot from hours before/later, which I don't think is happening here but we only see the tiny fraction of events the makers want us to see.

And it's a lot of fun if there are more possibilities then the obvious one that people are truthful and geniune. Is Kwaktube pretending to be so dumb? Is Lee Si-Won actually a femme fatale arch manipulator? Was that emotional outburst from Ha Seok-Jin geniune?
As someone realized after making some agreement with Si-Won, She's An Actress! She Can Act!

For the celebrities there is a big problem with being ruthless assholes to claim the price, it could hurt their career. Si-Won may have 3 more pieces then Seok-Jin but he has five times the Instagram followers. Kim Dong-Jae as a student outsider has a little more room for villainous behaviour but I doubt he was lying about the 158/138 mixup, there seemed to be no upside for him in it.

E8

The knives come out now, the robbery squares are the first time there is an actual attack possible on another player in a game and it's a very powerful one. Losing a big piece from your structure at any point except the beginning is a terrible setback, you would need to luck into exactly the same shape to just get back to where you started.
The placement of the robberies on the edge of other players' starting zone allowed for a player to start there to cut it off but no one did that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

Wiggly wayne you have some weird takes imo, he wasn't "gaslighting" hyesun and yumin about not getting the number written down. That was simply genuine confusion that they then worked through successfully, and he didn't betray them. Definitely hurt seeing he and Hyesun go not for failing at the game, and not for betraying people, but one of them for being wrongly suspected of betrayal and the other just as a bystander. Oof. Lots of feelings going on in the aftermath of them dying.
it's worth knowing that my comments are pure stream of conscious and i don't go back and clean up the wording later, gaslighting was my immediate suspicion at him a) not remembering the number and b) then pushing a different one. while ya in retrospect dong-jae wasn't up to anything with 138/158 it was an uncharacteristically weird mistake to make in the moment when there's pen and paper involved, and having his alliance work with a different starting figure than the truth would give him an edge when working out the real numbers on the side so the rest of his alliance could get wrong numbers while he submits correct ones

ultimately it comes back to him not earning trust in prior games and setting himself up as someone who will betray for entertainment value. in the context of the main match itself he didn't make a mistake, but his social game was pretty messed up for splitting up a 3-person team and them going off and quickly talking near the end of the match in a way that'd be ultra-suspicious on the genius. that's where kwaktube's problem lies as well - he keeps evaluating situations as if he was watching the genius and not the devil's plan. if you saw an alliance quietly splinter in the genius and then start talking near the end of the match what would your suspicions be?

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 6, 2023

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

oh that being stream of consciousness explains a lot! Yeah that makes sense then, I definitely spent the whole match wondering "are they or aren't they secretly conspiring," leaning fairly heavily to "no they're being truthful" but then occasionally thinking "i'm a sucker for believing them and i would be getting played if i were there." Extra ironic twist is that the reason yuming ended up turning was because they did make contact, but that contact was dong jae himself falsely believing someone was betraying! paranoia on his part led to paranoia on other peoples parts led to yumin's turn and his downfall. practically shakespearean!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I started watching this and while I don't like some of the changes from The Genius boy am I a sucker for these stupid end of episode cliffhangers. To the point now where more than once I've watched the first ten to twenty minutes of the next episode and stop once they either commit to resolving the cliffhanger or once I realize I won't get closure on it just yet. So right now I think I'm halfway through episode 8?

I wonder if its on the cutting room floor that the more people stick around for longer, the higher the prize pool seems like it would be. There's a lot of discussion about whether to help people stay in the game or cull the herd, but one thing that I can't remember if anyone has specifically brought up is that most of the prize games seem to benefit from having a lot of brains working together. I would have been garbage at the first one with the shapes but probably better at the other two I've seen so far.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Last few episodes are out now

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Superrodan posted:

I started watching this and while I don't like some of the changes from The Genius boy am I a sucker for these stupid end of episode cliffhangers. To the point now where more than once I've watched the first ten to twenty minutes of the next episode and stop once they either commit to resolving the cliffhanger or once I realize I won't get closure on it just yet. So right now I think I'm halfway through episode 8?

I wonder if its on the cutting room floor that the more people stick around for longer, the higher the prize pool seems like it would be. There's a lot of discussion about whether to help people stay in the game or cull the herd, but one thing that I can't remember if anyone has specifically brought up is that most of the prize games seem to benefit from having a lot of brains working together. I would have been garbage at the first one with the shapes but probably better at the other two I've seen so far.
I usually end up pausing and breaking right when they're about to explain a new match. For some reason when they're back in the living quarters I can't turn it off but when they're like "New main match, laying grass" and about to explain the rules I'm like okay I'm out.

I also don't like the changes that much... but it hasn't really ruined the experience for me. But yeah it doesn't really feel right that someone can be out the door without having the chance to have a one-on-one battle. Also must have made game design more difficult? Like, there's been situations where depending on finish placement you could have 0, 1, or 2 people going home... so you don't even know how many people will be in the next match??

Random comment from e7 or e8 or whatever prize match: haha I felt so bad for Orbit solving the weights of all the colors and then having to recalculate multiple times when the people in the other rooms who hadn't solved it kept bungling it. And then they still fail it. Wasn't he able to turn in his solutions when he still had stones left to play and get a piece? But he never did?

Lotus Aura posted:

Last few episodes are out now
i feel like they pushed these out too fast. I've barely kept up and that's using all my free alone time on watching it :X and idk if RHAP or anywhere was going to do any more podcasts about it but now it's just about over~~

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So I've started watching S1 of Bloody Game - was the commentary from The Genius players in the original TV airing or am I watching some kind of later edition? Not complaining it's fun, just seemed a bit confusing with how separate it is from the actual show.

I also just made it to E7 and lmao, that must be the most hairbrained scheme I have seen in any of these games yet, and how amazingly it backfired on everyone.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

devil's plan finale episodes watch order (no real spoilers): skip the last 5m of e10 as it has a "next time" segment for insane reasons, but it can be a standalone episode when watching even if it cuts off mid-game. e12 ends cleanly so you can watch these three episodes separately but ideally watch 10 and 11 after each other.

whenever i tell myself i'll write less notes these episodes it always goes the other way...

e10: okay a go big or go home game in the prison against an ai while playing blind. seems fair, although suspicious of their interpretation of once a day meaning it resets after midnight/before the new game starts. my first thought is just using the other coloured stones you have to replicate the game state, i eyeballed about 15 stones/colour at least so it'd help to start with. didn't expect them to just brutally eliminate see-won like that. it's weird for her to go back to the living area with all that info but obviously she didn't disclose anything and the cast are piecing together what they know. seok-jin looking upset at his decision is a change of pace tbh, actually humanises him. with the lack of sleep he got he might end up winning the bonus game but losing in the main match which would be a funny narrative. editor's just loving with kwaktube again, i love it. good on seok-jin actually going into this match in the morning. getting deja vu at these opening moves, but good on him for betting the easy ai while playing blind.

main match being poker should be interesting. oh god kyeong-rim disrupting pieces even as the final group game approaches and having pieces is all that matters lol, at least stack them on a female player if you're wanting them to win. Equation Hi-Lo? nice, and oh poo poo you're forced to exchange all your pieces for chips at the start - i guess everyone just gets eliminated. really complex rules, but get to 1 or 20 and sqrt can only be used on one number, no side-pots. oh but swing-betting exists? cool. yeah they really need a practice round for this and physical rulebooks lol. the games continues until 3 people survive oof. the random chip distribution for the practice game really fucks over some people from actually practicing lol, the master of hi-lo wondering if you had to play blind...

orbit planning to go all-in if he got 20 or 1 kinda ignores the suit priority aspect of the game which i feel will be critical. with the size of the table good luck card counting tbh. the saga of seungkwan continues. yeah orbit got wrecked with the basic rules of the game. oof kyeong-rim just decided to give up. it's weird she goes back to the living area to pack instead of observing the rest of the game. doesn't even get to say goodbye? weird format.

e11: doubt i'll many notes for this ep as the main match is great but not much to comment on play by play. seungkwan at least knows that he has to make a gamble at some point, but rip. orbit holding off with 1 chip to just turn the game into a grind was a choice, but everyone really hosed up that round. to be fair he really pulled his way out of the fire there, and kwaktube with the swing bet was insane didn't think anyone would risk that. rip yumin. the orbit big play was great to watch and suit priority coming into the play in the highest risk rounds is great. the counterplay swing bet? nuts. and then kwaktube leaves, honestly impressed at orbit surviving the match after going to 1 chip i figured he wasn't that interested in it then

3-player prize match neat. wait whoever has the lowest piece count after this prize match leaves? shift in the format there. hoping dong-joo wins overall but there's an interesting narrative for any of the last 3 players. 4-player 3-in-a-row.... a special guest?! game itself seems simple but the rotating colours could really mess with people. while i like the idea of signalling who you are i don't think you have enough turns that it'd be detrimental, nevermind no guarantee of seeing the game state from the same angle. at least everyone is (on paper) agreeing that seok-jin is basically guaranteed to be in the final two so play the game to increase the pot and leave the rest to chance. oh the special guest is someone boring booo. ugh rip dong-joo, and it's because a mistake orbit made whoops. well orbit gets to inherent dongmin's legacy i guess. pleasantly surprised there's no next-time segment just spoiling the winner tbh.

12: the finale... oh god orbit's tshirt is so bad. and everyone returns for a quick party before the end. anyway onto the games and it's best of three: nine men's morris (naturally.........), hexagon (a memory/math game), and dice poker (betting and mind games? likely yahtzee?). i know nine men's morris is famously a solved game so i guess let's see how big of a nerd orbit is and if he spent hours explaining that when someone showed the board game.

oh nine men's morris is also a best-of-three itself? neat. wow what a blunder by seok-jin so early into the first round. and yet orbit let's seok-jin control a strong board position afterwards. they're both stressed out of the their mind, surprised it took this long after 7 days of constant games. seok-jin's making a lot of weird moves imo, but i've never played this game before. round 1 ends with orbit winning, but it's absurd this part is also best-of-three, even if it'd show skill best that's a lot of mental pressure. seok-jin really lost it in that second round until that big blunder on orbit's part. i guess the game revolving around obvious blunders is what makes this so easily solved. jeez 1:1 in just this game. seok-jin wrecked round 3 after learning the game though

now onto hexagon, which is pretty simple but rough for the players especially after those prior matches. 10 rounds.. oof. yeah orbit's stressed out and floundering and this game favours seok-jin. oof orbit attempted a crooked line then messed up after that too. they really setup the worst-case scenario for both players stressing out huh. drat the turnaround for orbit is amazing, can't believe round 9 ended in a tie. but yeah seok-jin was bound to win that

someday we'll get to know what dice poker would be, there always has to be a secret game we never get to see on these shows i swear.

overall thoughts: episodes 10 and 11 were really interesting, it was good to see nine men's morris in the finale but everything had really been settled by that point. i'm used to there being a drop-off in interesting scenarios in finales, so this isn't really a surprise. it was a good show that needs its format shifted as the piece economy was pretty wild and for how well designed the games themselves were they didn't work into the overall format and worked against it really. anyway i'd recommend people watch this

Fast Luck posted:

Random comment from e7 or e8 or whatever prize match: haha I felt so bad for Orbit solving the weights of all the colors and then having to recalculate multiple times when the people in the other rooms who hadn't solved it kept bungling it. And then they still fail it. Wasn't he able to turn in his solutions when he still had stones left to play and get a piece? But he never did?

i feel like they pushed these out too fast. I've barely kept up and that's using all my free alone time on watching it :X and idk if RHAP or anywhere was going to do any more podcasts about it but now it's just about over~~
about your spoiler question: you could only get bonus pieces by showing you figured out the weight figures if you had won which felt a bit lop-sided for winning and hindered this scenario, yeah.

if you think this release order was too much then you didn't watch game of blood s2 when it was airing alongside time hotel and it was 4h of game of blood s2 then 2h of time hotel a week, it was great.

grate deceiver posted:

So I've started watching S1 of Bloody Game - was the commentary from The Genius players in the original TV airing or am I watching some kind of later edition? Not complaining it's fun, just seemed a bit confusing with how separate it is from the actual show.

I also just made it to E7 and lmao, that must be the most hairbrained scheme I have seen in any of these games yet, and how amazingly it backfired on everyone.
the commentary was in the original airing and it was as weird as it seems at the time

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

as an aside guess what's coming to itv with 8 episodes:
https://twitter.com/Simonique/status/1711832242563977233

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Oh poo poo they're finally actually going to do U.K. Genius? That'll be fun to see. The stuff related to that was like all that was in this thread for awhile there.

Edit: I like that Crossley also directed people to a Spotify playlist with Extreme Ways in the #3 spot and told people that the third song was a banger. Talking up Extreme Ways seems like an easy path into any Genius fan's heart.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 11, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Enjoyed Devils Plan. Coming from The Genius crew, I’m a bit surprised there weren’t more twist hooks baked into the games if you figured them out. That was pretty much a hallmark of many of their games from that series.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Teek posted:

Enjoyed Devils Plan. Coming from The Genius crew, I’m a bit surprised there weren’t more twist hooks baked into the games if you figured them out. That was pretty much a hallmark of many of their games from that series.

It seemed like they wanted that to be more in the "overall puzzle" that was the pieces/prison/etc

excited for UK genius omg

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Devils Plan was good but it feels like there has been power creep in the complexity of the games.

Every player is basically a Krillin looking on in horror at the unbeatable games.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I will say regardless of whether Seok-jn or ORBIT won The Devil's Plan, it'd be a well deserved win I think. They played such different games that seeing both represented was a fun way to get to the end. In game sense terms, Seok-jin was right that ORBIT was able to understand them intuitively much faster but also when he misunderstood something or got something wrong, it had a cascading effect that hindered him going forward. Seok-jin was slightly slower getting there, but once he did he was much stronger. The Nine Men's Morris match in the finale showcased that best with him not fully understanding it and losing, to having a better grasp and a fairly narrow but clever win and then just a straight up blowout once he understood the game fully.

Hexagon could've gone either way on paper, but the amount of times ORBIT got it wrong and still came back meant it was 100% his game to lose; if he only buzzed in when he was sure, he would've gotten that one easily and it wouldn't even be close. It is a shame we never got to see head-to-head Liar's Dice but I'm sure something similar will come up in a potential s2.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

On the one hand, disappointed I didn't make it through the casting call thing from before now.

On the other hand, hell yeah more Genius gonna watch the hell out of it once it airs :getin:

...Hopefully it has some unique games this time though. Biggest disappointment of the Dutch one last year was that they were all repeats.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

...Hopefully it has some unique games this time though. Biggest disappointment of the Dutch one last year was that they were all repeats.
i can see the format being auctioned off including a batch of suggested games and them trying not to mix up the format too much for season 1, so i wouldn't be surprised if it's not that different

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just started at episode 4 and it looks like the best strategy is cooperation, that is One of the guys with 3 pieces proposes that prison bets get split evenly between prisoners, and that for this game he will be the sacrifice and submit no answers at all. everyone including himself bet on him being the loser, and share information so all the other cards are perfect.

this means the final score for the other players is 5 (self) + 5 (perfect score) + 1 (guessed another player without being guessed in turn), which is 11, enough for 2 pieces.

everyone also gets +1 piece for abcorrect prison bet.

so he ends the game going to jail with 1 piece, but then he and his fellow prisoner get 5 each for sticking it out in jail. everyone else gets 2 pieces.

It feels like it would match Orbit's stated goal of ensuring no players are eliminated, get a bunch of pieces and make everyone feel grateful to you for doing the sacrifice play.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Just started at episode 4 and it looks like the best strategy is cooperation, that is One of the guys with 3 pieces proposes that prison bets get split evenly between prisoners, and that for this game he will be the sacrifice and submit no answers at all. everyone including himself bet on him being the loser, and share information so all the other cards are perfect.

this means the final score for the other players is 5 (self) + 5 (perfect score) + 1 (guessed another player without being guessed in turn), which is 11, enough for 2 pieces.

everyone also gets +1 piece for abcorrect prison bet.

so he ends the game going to jail with 1 piece, but then he and his fellow prisoner get 5 each for sticking it out in jail. everyone else gets 2 pieces.

It feels like it would match Orbit's stated goal of ensuring no players are eliminated, get a bunch of pieces and make everyone feel grateful to you for doing the sacrifice play.

just one problem the person in last place also loses 3 pieces on top of all of that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
every day i get closer to my dream of being on the genius... now to move to the uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

just one problem the person in last place also loses 3 pieces on top of all of that

is it on top of it? the way it was presented made them look like exclusive categories rather than ones that stack, which would mean a 3 garnet person could scrape by with the self prison bet keeping them aflaot