Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Kanos posted:

Zzzt explosions are based on the amount of stored power. More stored power means bigger explosions.

Not sure why your pawns wouldn't try to put out a fire on a geothermal unless they were physically blocked from accessing it somehow.

I have almost 1000 hours in this game and geothermal is one of my favorite power options. I always surround them with walls so they can be covered and protected and leave one door to build and access.

I have never once had this problem before. The pawn will now go the door, put out any fire directly adjacent to the door and absolutely refuse to do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Is it in the home zone

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jelly posted:

Also why the gently caress can't you multi-select poo poo anymore if there's more than one thing going on at the tile? Why does it have to select like one or two other items and multi-select them as well? I can't loving select a bunch of slag chunks by double-clicking anymore, I have to select every single one.

This game is arguably much worse than the last time I played it.

This works perfectly fine for me, I do it all the time. Sounds like a mod issue.

Jelly posted:

I have almost 1000 hours in this game and geothermal is one of my favorite power options. I always surround them with walls so they can be covered and protected and leave one door to build and access.

I have never once had this problem before. The pawn will now go the door, put out any fire directly adjacent to the door and absolutely refuse to do anything else.

This also sounds like either a mod issue or you don't have everything set as your home zone, because I do this same exact thing and it works for me in the current patch

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

VROOM VROOM posted:

Is it in the home zone
Very much so, in the same building as my dining/entertainment room

Regarding the battery explosions, I'm familiar with ZZT's but this one violently exploded all 3 of my batteries instantly. I'm used to a discharge and maybe some fire with the explosion but nothing so insanely destructive from a 3 battery bank.

In the past it would like hurt anyone nearby and cause damage to the walls and stuff but didn't actually destroy everything.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

This works perfectly fine for me, I do it all the time. Sounds like a mod issue.

This also sounds like either a mod issue or you don't have everything set as your home zone, because I do this same exact thing and it works for me in the current patch
I don't use mods. Do you want a screenshot of my home zone. lmao.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've had a couple of Zzzt's in the middle of my base today, 10 batteries worth of, and it didn't destroy anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jelly posted:

Also why the gently caress can't you multi-select poo poo anymore if there's more than one thing going on at the tile? Why does it have to select like one or two other items and multi-select them as well? I can't loving select a bunch of slag chunks by double-clicking anymore, I have to select every single one.

This game is arguably much worse than the last time I played it.

I use double-click select all the time and it works the same way as usual. :shrug:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jelly posted:

I don't use mods. Do you want a screenshot of my home zone. lmao.

Ya

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

idk if you're serious but originally i had a wall north of the geothermal plant with a door in it which I decided to remove to see if the extra access would help and put some switches between my batteries to reduce future explosion size

yeah i know it's not ideal to have batteries next to the plant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Geothermal generators I believe are impassible, but flammable, so if the interior tiles of the generator go on fire you can't beat them out (because you can't get close enough to do that)

I'm not sure if waterskip or firefoam would work, but yeah you really want to avoid letting them catch fire.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'd guess that you want one tile of space around the entire geothermal as a gut feeling for dealing with Rimworld things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also suggest having only one cable running directly out of the generator and onto the far side of a wall. To absolutely minimize the possibility of a zzzt going off adjacent to the generator. Do not put anything else near the generator and do not run conduit under any other walls of the room.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I'd guess that you want one tile of space around the entire geothermal as a gut feeling for dealing with Rimworld things.
Yeah, unlike a lot of devices a geothermal generator counts as a wall in terms of pathing and insulation. This I'd usually a good thing since it makes building around vents easier but if its walled in on a side pawns won't be able to reach the blocked side(s) to extinguish or repair it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Geothermal generators I believe are impassible, but flammable, so if the interior tiles of the generator go on fire you can't beat them out (because you can't get close enough to do that)
I suppose it's possible I never had one catch on fire before. Good to know. Firefoam is soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I had that happen to me a long time ago and it remains my primary concern with them. I don't think there are any other buildings that work like that in vanilla and for good reason.

Again I really don't know if firefoam would work because it might just block that too, but it's my go to for dealing with annoying fires. If you have anyone who isn't getting into fights then giving them a firefoam pack is a good idea.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

What do people do to clear foliage from an area, for example, for a kill zone. Do you just lay a cheap floor like concrete or is there some other secret I'm not aware of?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Concrete works, although it marginally improves enemy mobility when crossing the killzone. You can also use an animal pen, which allows you to designate foliage to be auto-cut. You would need to enclose the zone with walls or fences however and peg the door open so that raiders will perhaps try to walk in rather than just knocking the walls down.

It's annoying that there is no vanilla designatable zone with the auto-cut functionality.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Put down a growing zone, forbid sowing, allow cutting. I forget if it gets rid of little shrubs and such but pawns will go out and clear the trees that could give raiders minimal cover. It's similarly useful for keeping wind turbines unblocked but in that case you may as well actually grow something too.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Jelly posted:

What do people do to clear foliage from an area, for example, for a kill zone. Do you just lay a cheap floor like concrete or is there some other secret I'm not aware of?

I mark the area for roof and then only build floors on area the roof can't cover, to reduce the amount of speed increase I offer the enemy. Since I build turrets along the side and they often beeline for them, raiders don't tend to walk on the paved area much.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I am a fan of wooden flooring for the kill box, preferably with some obvious cover locations as bait for fire IEDs.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Randy is a loving dick.
Raid.
Raid.
Raid.
Toxic Fallout.
Raid.
Raid.
Raid.
Raid.
p.s. every raid is health monolith yttakin or pigmen since you haven't had any time whatsoever to form any kind of actual defense because of all the raids

Third easiest difficulty, I seriously can't imagine what harder stuff looks like.

e: I give up, I think I'm done with this game for a few months. Literally 5 raids in the span of a month during a 105-135 degree heat wave and toxic fallout. That's not "adventurous", Randy. It's loving stupid.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 24, 2024

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jack Trades posted:

I've had a couple of Zzzt's in the middle of my base today, 10 batteries worth of, and it didn't destroy anything.

Looks like it went:

1. Zzzt
2. Geothermal catches fire
3. Geothermal sets batteries on fire
4. Boom

Jelly posted:

Randy is a loving dick.
Raid.
Raid.
Raid.
Toxic Fallout.
Raid.
Raid.
Raid.
Raid.
p.s. every raid is health monolith yttakin or pigmen since you haven't had any time whatsoever to form any kind of actual defense because of all the raids

Third easiest difficulty, I seriously can't imagine what harder stuff looks like.

e: I give up, I think I'm done with this game for a few months. Literally 5 raids in the span of a month during a 105-135 degree heat wave and toxic fallout. That's not "adventurous", Randy. It's loving stupid.

Maybe try a less random storyteller? I don't think the penalties for having too many pawns are a thing with Phoebe/Cassandra anymore?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can adjust storyteller settings at any time so customize them and lowball yourself until you feel seasoned.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Looks like it went:

1. Zzzt
2. Geothermal catches fire
3. Geothermal sets batteries on fire
4. Boom

Maybe try a less random storyteller? I don't think the penalties for having too many pawns are a thing with Phoebe/Cassandra anymore?
1. Zzzt
2. Batteries didn''t just catch fire, they inferno'd (big flame over every tile) instantly, that's the only surprising thing about the whole experience
3. Boomx3
4. Geothermal catches fire
5. I whine on the internet

I like Randy, especially in late game, I don't just understand what his deal is lately with my last 3 starts. Maybe just time to suck it up and go down another difficulty notch, but last time I did that it was way too easy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's not just you, the concept of Random is really difficult for humans to grasp.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

You pretty much have to play Randy on an easier-than-you-would-think setting, because at some point - maybe two days in, maybe five years in - three horrible things are gonna happen all at once and you need to be able to somehow weather that. It does seem to lead to a lot of long stretches of 3x speed play during the quiet parts, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just adjust the threat scale based on whether I'm enjoying the game so far. If I've been doing a lot of building or not managed to get any good combat pawns i might turn it down a lot because the raids are scaling off wealth too much.

I might also suggest "enemy self preservation" as a mod, it makes enemies run away when sufficiently hurt, which makes large raids easier but also the enemies don't drop any loot when they run, so it's not purely beneficial. Makes it so you want to produce your own gear a lot more. Also enemies up to the eyes on go juice feel minimal pain and so will keep fighting a lot longer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 24, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is there not a mod to turn down/turn off the wealth scaling?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I just adjust the threat scale based on whether I'm enjoying the game so far. If I've been doing a lot of building or not managed to get any good combat pawns i might turn it down a lot because the raids are scaling off wealth too much.
omg til you can adjust difficulty midgame

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jack Trades posted:

I wish forming caravans wouldn't suicide just because there's a small fire between the base and the edge of the map.

Your caravans try to leave the map? Usually mine mill around the form caravan spot getting mad while waiting for something until someone breaks. I have no idea what was going wrong, but eventually I got annoyed enough to turn on dev mode purely so I can form caravans instantly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jelly posted:

omg til you can adjust difficulty midgame

Pro-strat is to keep Phoebe Chillax for the first part of the game, then switch to Randy once her auto-scaling gets unpleasant. Starting with Randy is madness, IMO.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there not a mod to turn down/turn off the wealth scaling?

You can change scaling options in the scenario editor at game start and/or adjust the threat scale in the advanced difficulty options midgame. There is also a mod that lets you edit scenario conditions midgame but I can't remember the name.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jelly posted:

1. Zzzt
2. Batteries didn''t just catch fire, they inferno'd (big flame over every tile) instantly, that's the only surprising thing about the whole experience
3. Boomx3
4. Geothermal catches fire
5. I whine on the internet

I like Randy, especially in late game, I don't just understand what his deal is lately with my last 3 starts. Maybe just time to suck it up and go down another difficulty notch, but last time I did that it was way too easy.

batteries can explode when damaged or on fire, and damage other things and create more fire when they go off, so separating them with stone walls can help prevent chain detonations. also firefoam.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i always put firefoam poppers around my power infrastructure because it's a huge pain in the dick if they catch on fire

(also in chemfuel storage and my storage warehouse)

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

My first revenant experience came in a 4 man, 1 ghoul colony with only shotguns and bolt rifles and it was a nightmare - spent 20 minutes or so plinking away its health in each little window of visibility I got after finding his hiding spot. If it wasn't for the (now patched) fire strat I'd have never have been able to kill him. This led to a really sour first impression.

The recent ones though have been fine. I now tend to have enough firepower to kill them after 2-3 chases and I try to make my prison the closest part of the base to the entrance so he just comas my legless chrono ritual batteries.

My only real issue is I feel the warning for the invisible entity sensor is a bit too subtle. I wish it got an envelope or even a pause.

Implanting the spine in people is pretty great too. Enemies will even stop meleeing the implant recipient so it's a good "oh poo poo" escape button.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Any tips for converting someone to an ideology who is particularly stubborn? Are there times you just need to cut people loose?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jelly posted:

Any tips for converting someone to an ideology who is particularly stubborn? Are there times you just need to cut people loose?

use conversion rituals instead of just the conversion action whenever possible; eventually the ritual will hit and convert them in one shot

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

Jelly posted:

idk if you're serious but originally i had a wall north of the geothermal plant with a door in it which I decided to remove to see if the extra access would help and put some switches between my batteries to reduce future explosion size

yeah i know it's not ideal to have batteries next to the plant

You have a wooden door on a room that's harnessing the heat of the inside of the planet to generate electricity, that's probably why it's catching fire. Check the temperature in that room and see if that's the problem.

I highly recommend you remove the roofing from exactly one (1) tile in that room so heat can escape. I usually don't add doors to my geothermal rooms, or I leave the very center tile unroofed

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Jelly posted:

Arrest, imprison, set prisoner interaction to Convert, then switch to Release when they’ve seen the light.

If they’re iron-willed or similar, this might take a while, but all (non-unwavering) pawns convert eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Jelly posted:

Arrest them (draft a character and right click on the target colonist) and set them to convert in the prison menu. Helps if you don't have your warden do it.

Make sure your warden and/or your moral guide are wearing gear that raises their social impact, and that your warden has the job at priority one or two. Bowler hats add 15% for instance. Giving them beauty genes or implants also helps. Mix that with zapping them with your moral guide's convert power, you'll get there eventually.