Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Serella posted:

As premised, here's a pic of the interior of the timed feeder. That's about 2" of height without the tray in, so you'd have about 1-1.5" for ice or an ice pack underneath.

You could put it inside a kong toy that is made for use with paste-type treats. He'd have to really work at that to get out all out.

Like a kitty kong! http://www.kongcompany.com/products/cats/treat-dispensers/treat-dispensers/kitty-kong/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

paisleyfox posted:

SUPER RECOMMEND Best Bully Sticks is where I buy my bullies. They have grab bags etc as well as frequent sales and shipping is pretty cheap. They also offer odor free types which only have a slight hint of cheese kind of smell instead of instant bull piss death. (it's from the way BBS dries their sticks, the ones you find in regular stores tend to dry them flat, while BBS dries them hanging up so everything drips out of them while they dry, so even their regular kind don't smell as much.)

They also offer things like Himalayan Dog Chews, fish, rabbit, lamb, sweet potato, etc. as well as some toys. The first time you order something you get logged in with their email and they frequently send coupons for either sitewide sales or specific items on sale.

Holy poo poo I can't thank you enough. I impulse bought a 12inch stick at my local pet shop for 10 bucks because I had to leave my dog alone for a few hours in the house, now I feel terrible for throwing money away. This thread is amazing.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
An old PI favorite brand is Armarkat cat trees. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I bought one on an impulse figuring my cat would never use it. I've had 21 kittens/fosters + Sarabi in the past three years and every single one of them has loved this thing.

Even the horrible greasy ghostcat whose only purpose in life was to steal my bras and hide them under the couch came out solely to cuddle on that thing.

In the time I've owned it, I've moved four times, and it breaks down pretty easily and goes back together like a dream. It's held up to Sarabi actually using it like a cat should (she scratches on the scratchers, plays with the rope and the ball-on-a-bouncy-string and sleeps and eats on the platforms), and it still looks pretty good. I can cover it in catnip, get her really high and then vacuum it up pretty easily.

None of the cats ever used the hammock (I stored cat toys in it and then took it off when I wanted the space underneath), and only the kittens could fit in the tube and didn't play with it much, but overall it's been am absolutely solid buy. It came with replacements for the ball-on-an-elastic which is nice because Sab destroys them after a few months.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've been very impressed with the Kong toys. Abby (my greyhound) has had the tennis ball and "bone" for over two years and both still squeak.

Musher's Secret is a balm meant to protect paws from extreme weather if you don't want to go with booties, as some dogs won't tolerate them. They have definitely helped Abby this winter, and it's been EXTREMELY cold this week (windchill was -47 on Monday morning).

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

actionjackson posted:

I've been very impressed with the Kong toys. Abby (my greyhound) has had the tennis ball and "bone" for over two years and both still squeak.

Musher's Secret is a balm meant to protect paws from extreme weather if you don't want to go with booties, as some dogs won't tolerate them. They have definitely helped Abby this winter, and it's been EXTREMELY cold this week (windchill was -47 on Monday morning).

My favorite mushers secret story was on their website: a customer's dog decided to eat an entire container of it and nothing happened except for some candle poops.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dog Games Drop Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you have a dog that eats way too fast. Abby's eating time went from under a minute to 5-6 minutes.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
JW Pet Company iSqueak Ball: Recommended

My corgi destroys most squeaky things she plays with, but these suckers are durable. They're available in all different sizes (she goes with Small). My only caveat to highly recommending these is that of the three colors they're available in, for some reason the blue ones have stupidly large squeakers which makes them hard for me and my dog to squeak properly. Red is our preferred one and green is also passable.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

wtftastic posted:

KONG WUBBA, NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HEAVY CHEWERS- Toy was easily dissected and destroyed by my dog. Not indestructable, but squeaks nicely. Just expensive for something that doesn't last long.

I have one of these and for 2 years its been her favorite toy and at most it has one little rip in it. My dogs don't really destroy anything though... minus the occasional stuffed toy. I think you hit the money right on the mark not or heavy chewers but its good for the less chewy dogs.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Minclark posted:

I have one of these and for 2 years its been her favorite toy and at most it has one little rip in it. My dogs don't really destroy anything though... minus the occasional stuffed toy. I think you hit the money right on the mark not or heavy chewers but its good for the less chewy dogs.

My dog is just very dedicated and good at finding the weak points- pretty much the only toys he likes are soft destructables, so all things considered the wubba was okay, but yeah.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Nylabone Flexible Dental Bone Dog Chew Toy - Recommended

My dog loves chewing things apart. He chewed through this:

and this:

wtftastic posted:

KONG WUBBA, NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HEAVY CHEWERS- Toy was easily dissected and destroyed by my dog. Not indestructable, but squeaks nicely. Just expensive for something that doesn't last long.

in addition to anything stuffed or fuzzy so it would seem Linus is a heavy chewer. But he's had this chew since he was a puppy and loves chewing on it at night. It's barely been dented too. I don't know too much about it's dental effects but he's had zero gum/teeth problems so far (almost 2 years old).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

actionjackson posted:

Dog Games Drop Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you have a dog that eats way too fast. Abby's eating time went from under a minute to 5-6 minutes.

I got one of these for Pistol to slow him down. He just looks at it like I'm trying to starve him after taking two bites then walks away.

So I'd put a caveat on that that it's highly recommended for dogs that have puzzle-solving drives.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

She has improved her speed, but at least she's not belching anymore.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

actionjackson posted:

She has improved her speed, but at least she's not belching anymore.

If she's at all treat toy motivated you can slow her down more, but if its not an issue anymore, I guess its not worth worrying about.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Petmate Fresh Flow Pet Fountain Strongly Recommended!- My cats used to splash all the water out of their bowls and I'd have to refill them multiple times a day. And none of that water was even getting drank, so I bought one of these. After a day or two to get used to it, my cats love it! It is easy to clean with a small amount of soap and a dish cloth or paper towel. I have had mine over a year and it has worked perfectly. One cat drinks from the bowl, and the other drinks from the top of the fountain, so it fits both my cats' preferences! The cats still splash in it so I recommend laying a towel or mat on the floor under the fountain, but I have had no problems with the fountain itself splashing or leaking.

Some reviews online complain of a noisy motor, but I only have that problem when the fountain is too low on water. This can also cause the motor to burn out, so avoid this! I have not had mine burn out, but they do sell them on amazon as well so it won't be hard to replace if it does.
http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Fresh-Replacement-converter-valve/dp/B002RT8Z86/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_28

Since buying this fountain, I no longer worry if my cats are drinking as much water as they should. :)

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011

pants cat posted:

I'm not sure if this is a cool chew toy or some kind of sex toy. I've yet to find any chew that will last more than 5 minutes with my rottie/collie cross and this is probably no different.
Only big bones last for any length of time but the noise he makes chewing them is awful and the constant supervision isn't always practical. Hopefully one day I'll find something that can withstand his jaws of doom. *sigh*

http://www.amazon.com/West-Paw-Desi...IN%3DB005GYLXSI

I know this was from a while ago, but I have the larger, oblong one they make and my three uber-chewers have yet to destroy it. They love to fling it around since it's bouncy too. West Paw will also replace your toy for free if it gets damaged with their lifetime guarantee.

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
Neither of my dogs are big chewers. Jake is missing a lot of his upper teeth so he may half-heartedly play a little with a stuffed toy. Violet is very soft mouthed and never really figured out toys all that well. She does like herself a good soup bone, but I would worry when she'd chew them down to nothing very quickly. I haven't had that problem since I got her some antlers though. They apparently taste good to her, and she doesn't make a dent in them at all. I think a harder mouthed dog could crack them, though.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I'm not sure if they're available in the US, but I'd recommend the Entertaineze Puzzle Ball I got for Frodo. It's essentially a hollow rubber ball with a 'maze' inside, you put treats in and tilt the ball a bit to get the treats to the back of the maze, and then the dog gets them out by playing with and chewing on the ball. I'm not sure how well it would stand up to a heavy chewer (Frodo is not great at chewing on round objects by dint of being a pug).

catamar
May 23, 2008
I strongly recommend the Raw Dog Leather 6 foot leashes. We bought a 3/4" wide brown leash when we got Gansett two years ago and it still looks brand new. It's been dragged through rivers, fields full of goose poop, salty snowbanks, and thorn bushes. The leather is nice and thick and the handle feels really sturdy.

I'm less pleased with a leash we bought from RC Pet Products. It matches Holly's collar, which is cute, but the tape sewn to the nylon makes it rough on the hands and I feel like I would have less control if she decided to bolt.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

catamar posted:

I strongly recommend the Raw Dog Leather 6 foot leashes. We bought a 3/4" wide brown leash when we got Gansett two years ago and it still looks brand new. It's been dragged through rivers, fields full of goose poop, salty snowbanks, and thorn bushes. The leather is nice and thick and the handle feels really sturdy.

I really like their harnesses but the site is very confusing regarding the pricing. I think that they are all custom done but I can't really get a grip on how you are supposed to go about that. Maybe its just a fault in my reading comprehension.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

One of a Kind posted:

Incidentally, can anyone think of a device that does the same sort of thing, but with canned food? I have to literally spoon-feed him wet food or else he eats it too fast.

"Gobble stop bowl" - a few companies make them, my best was from Savic, as it was all one piece. So long as it's melamine it should last a year or so without getting scratched. "Small dog" will do a medium to large cat and still inconvenience them enough to slow them down. Get a couple of different shapes, swap them now and then to stop him learning the shape and cheating.

I had a bolting ex feral who was eating so fast we paid in cat-wind, and it was also frankly gross to see. After about a year with his bowl, he slowed to a point where I could give him a normal bowl and he wasn't so frantic.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
I hope this is an okay place to ask this, but I know http://bestbullysticks.com/ comes highly recommended in PI. I was curious if it was really worth it to shell out the extra money for the Odorless ones, vs the regular? I'm making a bulk order soon for a friend and myself, so the increase in price makes a bit more of a difference. For the record, normal bully stick smell has never bothered me, but I have a bad sense of smell.

Edit: Just saw someone else mentioned them farther up the page :downs:. Wouldn't mind other opinions!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Psychobabble! posted:

I hope this is an okay place to ask this, but I know http://bestbullysticks.com/ comes highly recommended in PI. I was curious if it was really worth it to shell out the extra money for the Odorless ones, vs the regular? I'm making a bulk order soon for a friend and myself, so the increase in price makes a bit more of a difference. For the record, normal bully stick smell has never bothered me, but I have a bad sense of smell.

Edit: Just saw someone else mentioned them farther up the page :downs:. Wouldn't mind other opinions!

Supposedly both of theirs are good, but occasionally non odorless bully sticks smell like stale cow piss.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
I have a sensitive nose, so the odorless ones are totally worth it to me. My husband doesn't really notice a difference, but he doesn't mind that we spend a little more on 'em since it keeps me from gagging. If the smell doesn't bother you, then I wouldn't bother.

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Not quite just 1 product but the wife and I love The Bark Box its one of those new monthly box-o-things but they always seem to have fun treats that our two newfs love, and the toys are usually cute and durable enough for our two monsters. Strongly Recommended!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dude did you get the alligator treats in your box last month? Because motherfuckin' alligator treats man.

Smell like rubber though. And probably an allergy-concerned vet's worst nightmare.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
+1 for Best Bully Sticks, Amarkat trees, and Boomerang Tags.

Drinkwell Big-Dog Pet Fountain - STRONGLY RECOMMENDED

Got a big dog? Get this fountain. Got a little dog? Get this fountain. Got a cat? Get this fountain. Got a wallaby? Get this fountain.

The extra capacity is a godsend over the regular fountain (even with the add-on reservoir). It holds... I don't know, drat near 2 gallons of water. I fill it up every two, three days, even with my big dog and 3 cats drinking out of it. The cats have their own "regular" Drinkwell fountain with reservoir upstairs, but it requires refilling pretty often. I'm lazy, dammit. Best part is, both size fountains take the same filters and come apart in the exact same way for cleaning. You can even chuck the plastic bits in the dishwasher for maximum lazy...

Cons: Big dogs will drip and drool water nearby when they're done drinking, and maybe splash some drool on the walls nearby. Some cats and dogs won't go near a motorized fountain, YMMV. DO NOT LET THESE FOUNTAINS RUN DRY!

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 22, 2014

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Crinkit by Zigoo - 16" AWESOMELY RECOMMENDED. (direct link)

Does your dog love water bottles? Does he easily destroy those stuffed animal types? Even the fancy ones that say *deep voice* "INDESTRUCTIBLE"? Well, a crinkit is for your dog.
This is a long rubber'ish tube that you can stick water bottles in, along with other things like popcorn, veggies, etc. Our dog destroys even the best toys but has yet to destroy this. The little rubber flaps make it easy to get them in, and stay in. We've put popcorn inside which our dog will go nuts for as the flaps provide a puzzle to get the popcorn out.

The best part is the toy, and all by Zigoo, are made AND sourced in the USA. They are BPA free and Phthalates free.

We tested the veggout before it was released. It was all one width and sucked. Now it appears the hole is a bit wider except for the middle, works well for carrots and celery if your dog likes them.
Boing is a cool tug toy that's pretty resilient. Has nice ends for the dog to hold on to. Ours loves to whip it around like a slinky and toss it in the air himself and try to catch again.

Havent tried the short crinkit.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

^ But can you have sex with it?

The website is giving me virus warnings, so maybe?

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Eegah posted:

Dude did you get the alligator treats in your box last month? Because motherfuckin' alligator treats man.

Smell like rubber though. And probably an allergy-concerned vet's worst nightmare.

My dogs would do anything for those alligator treats, we taught one to speak the queens English just to get a taste of that doggie heroin.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Eegah posted:

We bought some of these. I was worried that they were bad because of the smell but Psyche really wanted them soo...

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Anyone have a recommendation for a mat for my cat's literboxes? I have two standard size litter boxes and would like a mat to help control litter dispersion.

Should I just plop some money on something like the Extra large one of these?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

TheLordOfKraa posted:

My dogs would do anything for those alligator treats, we taught one to speak the queens English just to get a taste of that doggie heroin.

My one concern with those alligator treats is the ingredients, my friend got a BarkBox with them recently and noticed one of the ingredients listed was garlic which is toxic to dogs. One of my dogs had to go to the e-vet with pretty bad pancreatitis after ingesting a small amount of garlic so I decided to err on the safe side and not give them to my dogs.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Kaytee soft granule lavender scented bedding
NOT RECOMMENDED

It's horrible for both rats and gerbils. It has way too strong of a lavender scent and the rats just push it out of the cage because they don't like it. The gerbils just kick it around and can't burrow into it very well. Because of this I found it spread across my entire floor when I used it because they are so tiny and spread out easily. Stick with Carefresh Natural or other things for these types of pets.

Serella posted:

PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Toy and Food Dispenser, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - This was given to me as a PISSmas gift a few years ago, and it's amazing. You can adjust the toy so food falls out more easily, or set it to a higher difficulty. Great for cats who gobble down their food too quickly, this actually forces them to slow down by making them work for the food and only giving it to them in small quantities. I've also found it makes my cat reconsider how much he really needs to eat. If it's all sitting there in a bowl, he'll scarf it all down, but when he has to work for it, he only eats when he needs at the moment and then will come back later when he's hungry again. Perfect for anyone with a ham for a cat.

I will second this. I love my slimcat!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2014

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

TheLordOfKraa posted:

Not quite just 1 product but the wife and I love The Bark Box its one of those new monthly box-o-things but they always seem to have fun treats that our two newfs love, and the toys are usually cute and durable enough for our two monsters. Strongly Recommended!

I was thinking about ordering these but on chew treats/toys I always have to size up for my medium sized dog - not sure if I should order M or L. How often are there chewy things in there that would warrant this?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Pretty much every month. This month the toy was a plush... zucchini. Which totally makes sense since ancient wolves used to hunt zucchini or something I dunno. Last month was a plush orange football that another dog tore to pieces within minutes, one before that was a plush orange... oversized marble jack or something. Honestly it's hard getting Tater to get interested in a toy other than his stuffed bunny so the toys don't get as much use as I'd like. There's almost always a stick-sized treat as well of various animal flavors.

I don't actually think they charge different for the various sizes so you could just go with the large.

oishii
Aug 13, 2006
hat

Gothmog1065 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a mat for my cat's literboxes? I have two standard size litter boxes and would like a mat to help control litter dispersion.

I've tried all kinds of mats but seems like the ones that worked the best were just cheap rubber mats (welcome/door/shoe kinds) from like the dollar store. For a couple of dollars you can get a pretty heavy duty one that can just be washed and cleaned fairly easily. I put them in front of the boxes with lids and seems to work great! For uncovered boxes, I don't think anything can contain the litter... I just have a shower curtain that I use to cover the carpet in my closet where my open boxes are. Easy to sweep up and clean if there are any accidents!

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Gothmog1065 posted:

I just went to a hardware shop and bought a metre or so of plastic mat stuff off the roll. Works fine, is cheap and readily available, and you can just cut it up to customise it to whatever size you need.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

I actually use these boot trays from Target. It helps with my one cat who is stupid and sometimes stands in the litter box and pisses outside of it.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

Gothmog1065 posted:

I just use two rubber backed carpet style door mats and throw them in the washine machine if/when needed. The fibres catch the litter pretty well. Never used a specific kitty mat or anything.
I did use purely rubber mats for a bit, but find some of them stink like vomit when they get wet with water/cleaner. Not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Let me take this opportunity to tell everyone about one of my favorite pet-related products.

The Kitt-in Box

I love it because I work from home and my cat can curl up next to me for scritches and I just reach over and pet her while I work.

ACTION SHOT!

khy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 27, 2014

• Locked thread