Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm looking for a site to purchase antlers in bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

cheese eats mouse posted:

one of the absolute creepiest New Page posts ever

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It was a before bed post. Just looking for a place to purchase deer antler chews for dogs in bulk instead of paying $7-$15 a chew at the pet store. I remember someone in Pet Island posting a specific site.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Was it Best Bully Sticks?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Maybe? I'll give them a look over. I thought you could only get bullys there.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 27, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Maybe? I'll give them a look over. I thought you could only get bullys there.

there are like 3 separate brands of retail antlers on that site including a pound size grab bag.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Try looking at etsy or local taxidermy or deer processing places because pet stores overcharge a lot on antlers. Like 3-5 pounds of antlers/antler bits on etsy for $10 shipped as opposed to $14 for a single piece at petco/smart.

Although Petco does have some decently priced water buffalo horns so that's pretty cool. They seem to last longer than antlers.

e: or that works whoops. I'll edit in a review later for some stuff.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Going the etsy route. Some pretty good deals on there.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Yes! I was just looking for this thread.

I petsit for a lot of rich people, so I see a lot of dumb pet poo poo that cost way too much money. Recently I petsit for a lady who had 3 Litter Genies. I thought they were a total scam and would just stink up the place, but I'm really sold on it.

So, The Litter Genie is basically a diaper pail for your cat poop. It comes with this endless bag that you just tie off at the bottom, and you cut it with the little cutting mechanism when it's full. They say that one refill can last up two months with one cat, but I think it'll be fine with my two cats.

This stupid thing is fantastic if you live in an apartment and are a lazy gently caress who can't manage to bring the poop out before work every day. In a small space? It still doesn't manage to stink up the entire house the same way scooping it into a bag or trash can does. I don't know how it does it, but once you drop everything in there, it just stops smelling. I figure that the people who made Diaper Genie must be pros at figuring out how to make poo poo not stink.

Extra plus? It's like $20 for a starter pack and you can find two refills for $10 at some stores. It's basically less expensive than actually buying litter.

I loved these things but the problem was finding refills consistently at a low price. When I got a second cat and added a new litter box I just bought a second genie cause it was ~$3 more than a refill at normal price.

You can kind of rig up a temporary refill using a plastic bag but its clunky.

I just looked and you can buy the refills on amazon in bulk pretty cheaply so I might pick one up again. I had just moved to scooping every day and using little ziplock sandwich bags.

Since we are talking bout poop stuff i'd like to recommend Swheat Scoop litter.

I switched to it after Scoop Away unscented changed their packaging and it suddenly had a scent, around the same time one of my cats started sneezing a lot as well.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Any recommendations for good slip leads? Pistol is just slightly too short for me to comfortably hold onto a goat lead at agility class, and the goat lead is just long enough that he gets his foot caught in it sometimes so it sucks all around but still I need some way to hang on to him between runs without having to fumble around with a leash clip.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'd like to build my own cat wheel, but every design plan I've come across is the usual pinwheel version. There's an axis-free design that I'd really love to build, it looks like this

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Can anyone recommend a good de-shedding tool for cats. My cats both seem to dislike my current one (or at least they try to eat it) and with spring arriving, shedding has kicked into high gear.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

spregalia posted:

Can anyone recommend a good de-shedding tool for cats. My cats both seem to dislike my current one (or at least they try to eat it) and with spring arriving, shedding has kicked into high gear.

You want the Furminator, just make sure you get a kitty one. You'll brush another cat out of your existing one, I'm not kidding. N.B. if your cat is an older shorthair, try not to aggressively or over-brush them in certain places where their hair naturally thins or you end up with a bald spot. Sorry, Penelope. :ohdear:

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

Scaredy Cut Tiny Trim - RECOMMENDED - My dogs' hair doesn't grow but I'm using this for nether region dreadlock prevention. One of my dogs is kind of psycho when it comes to grooming so I went looking for options and found these. There is a nub between the handles so that the scissors don't make a scary sound and the points are actually rounded so that the dog won't get poked even if they lose their mind. I haven't tried the set that has clipper attachments but it looks pretty smart.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Kong Satestix - Recommend, I got one and it makes a good tug toy, however it does have the downside of looking like some kind of weird sex toy:

I'm also after recommendations for a good covered-in litter box - Frodo keeps trying to eat Ringo's poop, and while that's kind of gross it also means he ends up eating silica crystals, which probably aren't good for him. At the moment I just have a generic high-sided box, so I'm hoping it's not too much of a leap for Ringo to go to pooping in an enclosed box.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ten Becquerels posted:

Kong Satestix - Recommend, I got one and it makes a good tug toy, however it does have the downside of looking like some kind of weird sex toy:
I know to some degree, no toy is indestructible to the right dog, but it's worth mentioning a chewer will tear this thing apart fairly quickly. Each 'twist' got chewed off individually by my parents' lab.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Any recommendations for good slip leads? Pistol is just slightly too short for me to comfortably hold onto a goat lead at agility class, and the goat lead is just long enough that he gets his foot caught in it sometimes so it sucks all around but still I need some way to hang on to him between runs without having to fumble around with a leash clip.

Tina Stafford makes some nice agility slip leads. Her website's a little confusing (fourpawfun.com) - you have to reference the collar and design section to fill out an order form. I have a 3/4" martingale style collar with a quick release on a braided nylon lead (maybe 5'?). You can also customize a lot of aspects differently - get a single strand lead, with or without quick release buckle, or a braided fleece tug lead.

Apart from that, I use a cheap 6' rope slip lead I got off of Amazon when I'm working with the shelter dogs, and that would probably work pretty well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

One of my Boston Terriers is an INSANE chewer. All the tuff toys he has mutilated. Deer antlers? Not a chance. However, my wife works at one of those pricey dog food stores and brought home some Himalayan chews the other day and so far they are amazing!

http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Dog-Natural-Treat-Under/dp/B001J9SUHG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395454502&sr=8-2&keywords=himalayan+chew

It's been three days and he's hardly even put a dent in it after letting him have it each night for about 30 minutes each. HIGHLY recommended

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ten Becquerels posted:

I'm also after recommendations for a good covered-in litter box - Frodo keeps trying to eat Ringo's poop, and while that's kind of gross it also means he ends up eating silica crystals, which probably aren't good for him. At the moment I just have a generic high-sided box, so I'm hoping it's not too much of a leap for Ringo to go to pooping in an enclosed box.

I just DIY'd this thing up over the weekend after seeing those plastic containers at Officeworks for $6 each. I had some carpet squares lying around, and I bought some double sided carpet tape. Cut a basic hole in the plastic with a boxcutter (anything fancy and the plastic started to chip and shatter. Straight lines were fine), attach the carpet, then slice out the hole.

Pudding jumped in before I was even finished. They didnt seem to have a problem jumping on top to investigate. As of this morning, both cats pooped in the uncovered boxes. I put the tops on before I left for work. Hope I dont go home and find poop everywhere.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I just got this beast of a cage for a very spoiled chinchilla. It was $260 at Petsmart, a Critter Nation model 162 double level cage.

That woman on the right is probably 5'6" because the cage is 5'3" tall, 3' wide and 2' deep. It is huge and the white background does not do it justice.

PROS:
Large removable double doors on both floors
Middle ramp can be fastened to close off hole between floors to separate animals or isolate them while cleaning
Wheels move easily
This cage is massive and will not shake or tip over any time soon
They built little loops into the wires under the platforms so you can hang stuff from them
Adjustable platform heights
Ramps come with velcro-fastened machine washable fleece covers
They sell expansion parts if this epic fortress still isn't enough for your spoiled pet

CONS:
The pans are very shallow (an inch maybe?) and bedding will easily get kicked everywhere. I plan on switching to fleece bedding as soon as we run out of aspen and paper stuff.
Pans are made of plastic, so you'd better keep your chewing rodents preoccupied with other stuff
It says "no tools required!" on the box. This is a drat LIE. A rubber mallet will be your best friend and possibly a cheap screwdriver to jimmy tight panels into place. Filing down the paint from the pegs may also help. It was a total fuckin' pain in the rear end to assemble and much cursing and sweating was involved but it is majestic to behold and our chinchilla couldn't stop chittering in glee.

I'll recommend it, because after the horribleness of assembly you'll never have to do that again.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Serella posted:

PetSafe Electronic Pet Feeder (2 Well), HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - This thing. This loving thing. It changed my life. My fatty cat was constantly begging for food, yowling for hours before dinner time. Finally fed up, I bought this after reviewing basin-style feeders and determining that my cat would probably just reach up inside the drat thing like other people's fatty cats did. This thing is awesome. You fill each side with food and set the timers for up to 48 hours (they're crank timers, so it's not 100% accurate, but you can get it within an hour of the time you want). I feed my cat twice a day with it, or I can set one for 24 hours and the other for 48 if I'm going to be out of town for a few days. My cat has never managed to break into this thing, despite spending the first few weeks trying his damnedest. It's not a mechanism they can pop open, it just will not give until the timer clicks and releases the lid. Cat even knocked it off the counter once, but it just kept ticking and didn't pop open. Not only that, but it's been running on the same battery (a single loving AA) since I bought it over a year ago, so it's super economical. I love this thing. My cat no longer yowls at me for food, but instead tears rear end across the house when he hears one of the lids pop open.

Just want to chime in that my cat was able to pry this open, but he's a buff as gently caress siamese so it's not your average situation. If you're only feeding dry it's not too hard to glue or epoxy the trays on to keep it from happening (if the cat pulls on the tray just right, instead of trying to pry open the lid, they can get it to pop out).

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

nwin posted:

One of my Boston Terriers is an INSANE chewer. All the tuff toys he has mutilated. Deer antlers? Not a chance. However, my wife works at one of those pricey dog food stores and brought home some Himalayan chews the other day and so far they are amazing!

http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Dog-Natural-Treat-Under/dp/B001J9SUHG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395454502&sr=8-2&keywords=himalayan+chew

It's been three days and he's hardly even put a dent in it after letting him have it each night for about 30 minutes each. HIGHLY recommended

These things are fantastic. They are made from "yak and cow milk, salt and lime juice" so... milk bones. :v: They come in different sizes as well as a puffy version for dogs that have issues with hard things. I have one dog that has the mouth of a Great White and she can plow through one in about 20 minutes. In fact the only thing that she can't quickly devour so far is any kind of deer antler but she gets bored with the antlers quickly. She needs a conquest. My other dog is missing a few front teeth; he'll work on a yak for a bit, forget about it and come back later. The best part about these sticks is that when they get to a scary small size that could be possibly be swallowed, you can microwave it for 45 seconds (+30 if needed) and turn it into a crunchy cookie. It gets pretty hot but cools down in about 5-10 minutes. My non-chewer is absolutely bonkers for the cookie.

The only down side is that they are kind of expensive. I get 2 packs of three and each dog gets one every two weeks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone want to recommend a good bitter spray to keep my dog from chewing stuff? I bought one called Phooey but she just plows right through it

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone want to recommend a good bitter spray to keep my dog from chewing stuff? I bought one called Phooey but she just plows right through it

Dial Soap works for me sometimes. Rub a bar over the area you don't want chewed, just a light layer will do it. Of course, this was just to dissuade my cats from nibbling, this did NOT work on my rabbit. But worth a shot.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
The door to our yard is off our sunroom which had a sliding glass / screen door. Problem is that Lulu hangs out in the sunroom, sees the birds and squirrels and decides she need to go chase them now. We are tired of letting her out 30 times a day. Anyone have a dog door add-on for sliding doors they could recommend?

Edit: Forgot to mention, ideally I'd like to connect this to the screen door and be able to slide it open and closed.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 5, 2014

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Any good recommendations on vacuums? I know it's not technically a pet product, but I do have a Dyson, the pet one, but I have a horrible time on the stairs. There has to be something better. We are going to hard surfaces soon, so wondering about just going with a roomba and have it going all the time, but I still need something on the stairs. Of course, no carpet will make the Dyson suck better or less or, whatever. Thoughts and reviews would be appreciated.

With all of us, we have to deal with fur and the mess they make, so I thought this might be a worthy question. If not, disregard and I apologize.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

mombot posted:

Any good recommendations on vacuums? I know it's not technically a pet product, but I do have a Dyson, the pet one, but I have a horrible time on the stairs. There has to be something better. We are going to hard surfaces soon, so wondering about just going with a roomba and have it going all the time, but I still need something on the stairs. Of course, no carpet will make the Dyson suck better or less or, whatever. Thoughts and reviews would be appreciated.

With all of us, we have to deal with fur and the mess they make, so I thought this might be a worthy question. If not, disregard and I apologize.

This works pretty kickass on my furniture and I imagine it would translate well to stairs. I just wouldn't use it for large area vacuuming as it's handheld. Downside is that it's corded.

Nickelodeon Household fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 6, 2014

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I used to have a little hand vacuum for pet hair, about $40, I think it was Shark brand. It was cordless and it worked pretty well on stairs. I'll try and find a link later. I also used to have a Dyson Animal and can confirm doing stairs was obnoxious.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of roombas, does anyone have one with pets and hardwood/tile floors?

We have hardwood and might move to a place with tile, and we have two boston terriers that shed a little bit, but constantly have to dust/sweep the floors for their hair and dust bunnies.

Any thoughts on roombas?

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

I've really heard great things about the Roomba. I'll try to pitch the for review maybe (I do a product review site). Not sure I can pull that one off, but did get a Dyson so who knows. The Dyson isn't bad on the rest of the house, just horrible on stairs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
This is what I had. It handled the hair from three cats and my GSD mix pretty well. Battery life was admittedly short before needing to be charged again, but it lasted long enough to do my huge, heavily carpeted staircase and that's all I needed. It was really nice for quick cleanups too, like tidying up around the litter box.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
I have a very old Roomba Dirt Dog, and it is the only vacuum I've ever had that wasn't eventually killed by rabbit/cat hair. The newer models make me jealous because they're quieter and have all sorts of great features, but I haven't been able to justify buying one when my old one still works well.

The Dirt Dog was a heavier duty model meant for shop floors, which we figured would be good for picking up stray hay and rabbit pellets in addition to fur. It does a great job on all of them, even in the corners, though it's noisy. I'd imagine a regular model would be great for dust and fur, and supposedly they're nearly silent now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do dog calming pheromones work?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Those of you with Roombas and non-crated dogs: do the dogs get used to the Roomba or do the dogs chase it around and bark at it?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Those of you with Roombas and non-crated dogs: do the dogs get used to the Roomba or do the dogs chase it around and bark at it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfk5jIdIqA

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
After which he completely ignores it unless it runs into him, then he just moves out of the way. Only trouble is he gets concerned when it's docked. It may not be idle, it must move all the time, battery be damned.

Oh and I haven't figured out how to get him to vacuum when I'm not home. You're home all day dammit, make yourself useful.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Do dog calming pheromones work?

We bought adaptil pheromone diffuser to help our puppy settle, he seems a bit more chilled now but that could be due to the passage of time.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

TunaSpleen posted:

Critter Nation

Just so you know, you can get metal pans for this that don't let the bedding come out as easily.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Good to know. I've since switched to fleece covers which really cuts down on dust and odors, and makes spot-cleaning the poops daily a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nthing the Da Bird reccomendations. It even comes Buttercup approved.

• Locked thread