Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Steve Jobs Rolls In His Grave - Of Apple and Bitcoin

Yesterday, Wednesday February 5th, Apple Inc., makers of the iPhone and holders of 10% of all corporate cash, pulled the plug on the final Bitcoin wallet app remaining in the App Store, “Blockchain”, with no explanation. With this, Apple erases all payment-app competition on iOS.

Here's Blockchain's response to Apple.

A quote from back in the days when Steve Jobs was still captaining the company ship:

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward.” – Apple, Inc.

And now, here we are today, with a pithy rewrite by ELeeMacFall, as found on Reddit:

“Here's to the greedy ones. The conformists. The fatcats. The soft-fascists. The chisels forcing all the pegs to fit in the square holes. The ones who will make you see things their way. They make the rules. And they protect the status quo. You can support them, cooperate with them, worship or fanboy around them. About the only thing you can't do is compete with them. Because they run things. They keep the human race in line.” – Apple, Inc.

Steve Jobs is clearly rolling in his grave. Now that he's gone, it's incredibly obvious that Apple is run by the bean-counters. That they are no longer a forward looking innovator, instead more a developmentally retarded corporation built on catering to yuppies, quite happy to collect dividends on Steve's previous innovations and actual ability to Think Different, happy to enjoy their slave labor suicide factories and huge markups.

What's a consumer to do? The internet has some ideas.

Smashing iPhones

This is exactly what the chinese workers who assembled this loving thing wanted to do all along

An offer quickly appeared on reddit: for those first 5 bitcoin-app-less disgruntled iPhone 5 users to smash their device on video, a user named round-peg would buy them a Google Nexus 5, as well as donate a Moto G to charity. It didn't take long for this to take off. A trusted user stepped up to do escrow (in, of course, bitcoin) to secure the deal and assure people it was real. And so the smashing began.

The first guy couldn't find his hammer, and was obviously a little nervous, but got the job done admirably. Here's a list of the 5 winners, and a compilation of the various videos.

The fun didn't stop at 5 phones however, as round-peg apparently decided to somewhat extend his offer. And so then we have destroying an anti-bitcoin iPhone on the rifle range, this is pretty spectacular, with, of course, a banana for scale. And another iPhone smackdown with a machete.

So, it seems these folks are pretty quick to destroy their precious iPhones, given the situation. Summary: “Stalling innovation? gently caress you, Apple.”

And if you do destroy your phone, remember there are precious metals in that thing that are mined in conflict areas. In other words, hellhole third-world countries. It might be a good idea to recycle it.

Options beyond pure destruction

If you don't feel like destroying your phone, but still want out of Apple's “Walled Garden”, there are some other options. TMobile buys out contracts and pays for your device.

There's also a company called Mintspare, an electronics trade-in service, offering bitcoin in exchange for phones. This way you can drop the iPOS as well as further stimulate the bitcoin economy.

Think Different About Bitcoin

Meanwhile, in another corner of Reddit, a different contest is taking place, one that involves creation rather than destruction. The challenge is to re-create the iconic 'Think Different' video with a bitcoin related theme, with the aim of making sure Apple sees it, and rethinks their anti-bitcoin position. The prize at the time of this writing is at least $1,000 worth of bitcoins, and then some.

Mobilizing the previously passive

A major, formerly innovative technology company taking an aggressive stance against a nascent, world changing technology that empowers people and encourages the spread of freedom might tend to awaken the more passive and light-hearted supporters of Bitcoin. When the world has been given a gift- that of unfettered and total, personal control over their money, sans banks- and that gift disrupts centralized payment systems (such as those controlled by companies such as Apple), it's not hard to see why the people of that world might get a little feisty in this latest attempt to boot-stomp fundamental freedom. In a sense, such actions mobilize a previously complacent section of the user base to get politically, socially, or otherwise active.

Antifragility - So, thanks for being dicks, Apple

In this way Bitcoin is actually an antifragile technology. Put simply, when something is antifragile, it gains from disorder or stress; high-impact events or shocks can actually be beneficial. In this way, Apple is actually strengthening Bitcoin in it's misguided attempts to push it out of the market. When they do so, at the very least they bring the formerly passive Apple-product-using supporters of Bitcoin into the fore. Smashing iPhones is just the beginning.

While Apple may not care if five or five-hundred or five-thousand people smash their iPhones in public disgust, what they do respond to is the bottom line, the god of all corporate entities, money. And I predict that they have started a chain reaction with this move that will ultimately see them moved to the antiquated dust-bin of history, a formerly interesting company with a formerly interesting product line, before they decided to sacrifice themselves at the altar of decentralization.

So, thanks for being a bunch of dicks, you Apple bean-counters, you witless, vision-less, money-grubbing bureaucratic tools. You have inadvertently strengthened the long term success of bitcoin, while ensuring your own obsolescence.

Anti-trust?

As a result of Apple's move to effectively ban bitcoin apps, the Bitcoin Foundation is looking into Anti-Trust laws. The thought here is that Apple is abusing their monopoly on iOS software distribution for purely anti-competitive reasons. While this may or may not hold water, it's really unnecessary, we can simply vote with our wallets and our feet. We can boycott Apple. Because guess who is bitcoin friendly? Hint, it starts with a Go and ends with an ogle.
Handing the market to Android and Google

Google's Android platform has effectively been handed the reins in the mobile bitcoin market. In fact, Apple may have played completely into Google's hands on this one. The Android platform has always been a more open platform- a playground compared to a walled garden. There are hundreds of bitcoin related apps available in the Play store, including wallet apps such as the final one to be banned by Apple, Blockchain.

And there have in fact already been leaked emails with the top Google execs about their plans to integrate bitcoin. If they were to integrate bitcoin balances with the Google wallet and Google wallet card, they would have a huge first-mover advantage, easily becoming a contender to the likes of PayPal.

What Would Jobs Do?

The guy was many things to many people, but he wasn't an idiot.

Were Steve Jobs still alive, what direction would Apple be heading in, vis-a-vis bitcoin? Although it's impossible to say for sure, the word “iBitWallet” comes to mind. Apple used to be the creative, playful, user-friendly, anti-establishment computer company. Now, as so many companies before them, they have become the ossified, lumbering dinosaur, unable to get out of their own way, too tempted to simply enjoy the fruits of previous labors, of bygone innovations. In a word, they have become the establishment they were once set against- this is a familiar pattern in the business world. They are now only able to Think Sameness. But I believe Jobs would still be willing to put himself on the line, to Think Different.

Everyone who has adopted bitcoin is already thinking different. Thinking Different has gone decentralized and viral, and we are still just off the starting line…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
please post more words I will never read, ...!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

r/Bitcoin 102,648 subscribers. r/Apple has 182,845 subscribers. Don't get iCocky Apple. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 20 minutes ago by mastermind1228

r/Android has 361,368 Subscribers.

http://redditmetrics.com/r/Android#compare=apple+Bitcoin

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Apple Protest in SF - Bring Our Bitcoin Back! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 29 minutes ago by kgreenek

You know this already, but Apple officially removed blockchain.info from the app store. Sigh. That was the LAST major bitcoin wallet app in the app store. Now what...

I get it Apple, regulation is.. grey.. with bitcoin apps. I understood when you blocked CoinJar. I could accept it when you blocked CoinBase. I was even ok when you blocked Gliph, although much more begrudgingly.

But the blockchain.info has been our default mobile wallet on iOS for a LONG time now. Hell, I bought a couple beers just last night at the #sfbitcoinfair using the blockchain app. That ugly, outdated little app represented an unspoken agreement between Apple and us bitcoiners. A bone, if you will, tossed down from above. While other apps were banned, at least we could always send and receive payments on our phones using the blockchain app.

We could...

Now that implicit agreement is shredded. It was a lie all along. Did they just not notice the blockchain app until now? Did they update their policy so it could be specially banned? Was there a new manager with a chip on his/her shoulder trying to impress her underlings by crushing the only tool remaining for an entire community of users?? No matter how you feel about Bitcoin, you have to feel that this move reeks of anti-competitive big business.

It doesn't matter, we need to get their attention. By doing more than just signing a petition (although, you should sign it if you haven't already: http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-allow-bitcoin-wallets-on-the-iphone).

In the early days of Linux, protests were organized to promote open source ideals. Hundreds of people showed up at computer stores to return the copies of Windows that came pre-bundled with their computers. It took a lot of shouting and media attention, but finally the stores were forced to honor the refunds because it in the contracts that came with their computers.

I propose we organize a similar protest to support bitcoin. I will be showing my support in my hometown of San Francisco, but I encourage others anywhere else where similarly dedicated bitcoiners are willing to stand up and be heard by Apple. Non-violent of course, except perhaps towards your iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHtzZukli3o

Ideas so far include:

Protest in front of Apple stores holding up QR codes to bitcoin charities. This will highlight the fact that iPhone users can't donate, and will also raise awareness for the charities and bitcoin in general.
Protest in the Apple headquarters holding up a giant cardboard iPhone with a QR code to raise money. Live-stream it and raise a much as possible to show how much the community stands behind bitcoin.

Can you help come up with some interesting ideas? Keep it classy.

We are not drug dealers or malicious hackers. We are technologists. We are entrepreneurs. We are normal people who want to be a part of something new.

But we can't... Because we have iPhones.

Please post your ideas for how to effective bring attention to this issue and promote bitcoin. The goal is to show Apple that we care a LOT about bitcoin.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

see if you can guess who I am on reddit ...!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mark Cuban should buy MtGox in a fire sale! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago by Michaelrays

Let's face it. Cuban is a very smart guy. Obviously Bitcoin is on his radar in a big way and he has a track record for taking horribly run organizations and turning them around.

This is a sure fire way he could cement himself as the number one guy in the sector.

Secondly, Mark loves to be first to the punch...he is known for it. In this case many would argue he is a a mile behind which might be true. In my opinion this is a marathon not a sprint. Bitcoin is still in it's infancy.

How much does it cost Mark Cuban right now to buy out MtGox? probably pennies on the dollar if he agreed to take on the liability of their deposits.

How about it???

okay, I'll see myself out

edit for the record I have no idea what sort of regulatory and legal issues he would have to hurdle to actually pull it off but I'm sure it would be a lot. Obviously not a likely scenario but still fun to imagine.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
this puts goatkcd in a new and confusing light

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

JadeRaven posted:

So you guys are just going to have to loving trust me on this one
http://www.goatse.cx/
christ that's horrible

also "shybe" :getout:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey herseriarxh or however it's spelled if u wanna know if somebody blocked u, try retweeting them

i learned this after pwning some freaking noob conservative moms on twitter tonight :cool:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

the interesting thing is that it doesn't seem like the funds being expected to be used for criminal acts matters in the law. the police went the extra mile to make sure that they nabbed willing money launderers instead of just some people who didn't know about the law.
but if i understand correctly they just charged them as unlicensed money transmitters rather than money launderers, it's genius all round

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
also everyone making "lol if u don't have goatse as ur homepage" jokes is aware that kirk johnson hasn't appeared on the .cx site for years now right

doje :frogdowns:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Werthog 95 posted:

freaking noob conservative moms
please don't post my internet search history

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
500 posts , this better be good

*smashed iphones*
*mtgox is dying*
*goatse*

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
i've pronounced them "doje" like the venetian guy and sheeba like the queen of sheba. c/d?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cantorsdust posted:

i've pronounced them "doje" like the venetian guy and sheeba like the queen of sheba. c/d?
"shibe" is supposed to be the first syllable of "shiba inu", so "sheeb"

"doje" is how floating vector strong bad pronounces "doge" so i can't disapprove even though i'm p. sure it's just supposed to be "dog" with a long o

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

please post more words I will never read, ...!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
That was the most pleasant goatse I've ever experienced. Thanks dogecoin!

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
thanks doge

...!
Oct 5, 2003

haha, some idiot filed a complaint with the doj about apple

US Government Says Apple is NOT in Violation of Antitrust Law
Pete Rizzo (@pete_rizzo_) | Published on February 8, 2014 at 11:24 GMT

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) has stated it will not take action against Apple for its recent decision to ban bitcoin apps.

The announcement comes amid a growing furore among bitcoin users, who were outraged by Apple’s decision to remove the official Blockchain app from its App Store earlier this week.

The DOJ stated:

“We have determined that the information provided does not raise antitrust issues that warrant further review by the Division.”

This response was prompted by bitcoin enthusiast Andy Chase, who submitted an official complaint to the agency’s Citizen Complaint Center.

Chase’s complaint was detailed, including an annotated explanation of bitcoin, and a detailed overview of the actions Apple has taken against apps from bitcoin companies, such as Blockchain, Coinbase, Coinjar and Gliph.

Chase summed up his argument with the following conclusion:

“While Apple may have legitimate claims against the use of these applications in countries where bitcoin use is prohibited, the companies should be provided with the ability to alter and re-submit their applications to operate within the terms and conditions provided by Apple and international law.”

Further, Chase was far from the only person to suspect Apple may be in violation of antitrust laws, with even major industry investors commenting as such publicly:

Government response

The DOJ did not elaborate on its decision, and would not comment to CoinDesk to explain its reasoning. Instead, the department sent Chase three web links that it believes clarify why Apple is not in violation of antitrust laws.

These included the Department of Justice main website, a six-page guide called “Antitrust Enforcement and the Consumer” and a lengthier primer on antitrust issues for law enforcement officials.

It is likely the DOJ’s decision stems from the fact that Apple, which offers no payment services, does not directly compete with the bitcoin companies it has banned.
The complaint process

The Antitrust Division’s Citizen Complaint Center lists four steps that a complaint may take through the agency. Upon examination, Chase’s complaint did not make it far into the process, failing to garner even an additional review.

The CCC creates a record of the information provided.
The CCC conducts a preliminary review.
If the complaint raises concern under federal laws, it is sent to a legal team for review.
If the CCC needs more information, it will contact the claimant within one month.

Chase, commenting on the decision, lamented that this was “pretty much the lowest level of rejection”. Still, he doesn’t regret reaching out:

“While I wasn’t very confident that my complaint would lead anywhere (if nothing else, the bitcoin community is fairly small for the DOJ to invest in actions protecting its interests). I wanted to take advantage of the justice system and see if they were willing to look into it.”

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"doje" is how floating vector strong bad pronounces "doge" so i can't disapprove even though i'm p. sure it's just supposed to be "dog" with a long o

i'm p sure you pronounce the g like a j

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
it's pronounced like the g in gif

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

jony ive aces posted:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
it's dog-e or doggy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jony ive aces posted:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
the dude in the vid pronounces both words the same way I would if I ever had an occasion to say either aloud (which satan willing is never) well bye

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

jony ive aces posted:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the literal inventor of the format said it was "jiff"

jfc it was even a final jeopardy question a few weeks ago

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_lAFDbnMLA

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

the literal inventor of the format

yeah well what the gently caress does he know

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

isaac asimov coined the term robot and pronounced it like dr. zoidberg.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CraigK posted:

yeah well what the gently caress does he know

preeeeetty sure he didn't invent the sound g makes.

e:

Mr. Nice! posted:

isaac asimov coined the term robot and pronounced it like dr. zoidberg.

i thought it was a russian play?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Robert Otor stars in Rise Of The Robutts

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
rossums universal robots, czech it out

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Death of the author applies to file extensions too.

jony ive aces posted:

but if i understand correctly they just charged them as unlicensed money transmitters rather than money launderers, it's genius all round

you can bet that the prosecution will threaten the higher charges to get a guilty plea for the money transmitter violation though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mr. Nice! posted:

isaac asimov coined the term robotics.
ftfy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

regardless he pronounced robot robutt so we shouldn't really give a gently caress what the guy that made gif said. it's like jigga watts in bttf

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i do enjoy the way zoidberg says robot

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xc9m8/outraged_at_apple_i_decided_to_spend_my_day/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWtYAcCNvdA

i'm the hl2 combine voices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000244003

lmao @ this retard bringing up NO FEES NO CHARGEBACKS. also lmao @ bitcoiners thinking that people do chargebacks at a frequency of more than maybe once every five years

• Locked thread