Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
it's dog-e or doggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
the mtgox buywall at 601 is getting nibbled at

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

BTC-e just hit 102

ok so it was just someone getting cheeky because every buy order had been filled and somebody sold blind but still

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Dex posted:

ok gently caress kidneys, i have put filter paper down my throat to do the same thing but even better, and i'm sure my body will catch on and start using it any day now

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

quote:

With bitcoin 0.8.0 (released 19 feb 2013) a breaking change has been included that would prevent transactions to be accepted if their signature did not include the right number of zeroes in front of the signature values (in an effort to reduce risks of transaction malleability). We did not notice this change
we demand a fix to transaction malleability, so that we can ignore it and post invalid transactions

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

http://bitcoinwisdom.com will show you daily candlesticks, dunno how easy it would be to extract the data from it

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

btw a sell-off of the same size as the one 18 hours ago would be enough to reduce btc to single digit prices

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

fun fact: combine

http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

with the projected next difficulty from

http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

and the last of the miners becomes totally unprofitable

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Socracheese posted:

i shot satoshi

but i swear it was in self interest

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Some funny lines, but it mostly reminded me of Zack's bitingly bleak vision of libertopia which was told from a similar perspective.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

TVarmy posted:

These past three months haven't really been so much "nutted but she still sucking" as "Help! I have been attached to the semen-collecting rig from A Boy and His Dog, and my balls are aching!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLDGoEh7jqA

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

my understanding is that if two people both find a solution, they are essentially competing on the network to see who will get read first by the next lucky miner. you want to be on the longest chain, so from a mining point of view you always want to mine starting from the longest chain you've seen. some miners might see solution A first and start building on top of that, and some might see solution B first and start from there. one of the solutions wins by having someone build on it with a newly mined block - at that point all the miners ought to switch to that one or risk doing computation on a shorter chain that will get rejected.

of course, it is possible that the fork continues for a little bit longer if new blocks get mined on each chain at approx the same rate. eventually one chain gets lucky enough to take a lead for long enough that the network as a whole switches to it - there's a snowballing element where small leads give you a higher proportion of miners working on your chain, leading to a better chance of the next block increasing your lead.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Robawesome posted:

apparently some mining pool did something and now there's 4000+ unconfirmed transactions, pretty much double the norm.

reminder that including any transactions while mining is optional, you just forgo the transaction fees, and while the reward for a block is 25 bitcoins, it isn't a huge hit to take if you can find any gain

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

indigi posted:

so wait why haven't a few pools gotten together and done a 51% attack

because destroying the security of the bitcoin network is a level of shooting yourself in the foot even pool owners won't go for. the ability to rewrite some transactions is never going to make up for the fact that nobody will buy your mined coins ever again (because you could rewrite the coins back to your wallet) and everyone would stop taking bitcoins for payment (because you might just reverse the transaction). like maybe if the NSA decided bitcoin was too potent an asset for terrorists or something they might remotely hijack a bunch of mining operations and intentionally burn down the network, but a 51% on bitcoin spells the end of days and you'd be incredibly short sighted to perform one if you profit from bitcoin

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

FCKGW posted:

reddit gets asteoturfed on a regular basis but it's from big companies with real products

has anyone said aspeoturfing yet with regards to bitcoin cultists and the autistic spectrum

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

can anyone here explain why bitstamp consistently trades at a higher price than BTC-e? i know that there's fees and so the markets aren't as efficient as they should be in theory, but it's a $10 gap all the time. even if nobody can actually make the arbitrage happen, i'd expect that big price swings would occasionally cause them to cross over

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

has anyone posted that the next difficulty increase, which happens in about 4 hours time, is set to be about 3%, the smallest it's been since Jan 23 2013 (the last time that difficulty decreased).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

but only goatkcd that mentions a ring

http://goatkcd.com/693/sfw

• Locked thread