Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I just wanted to say that I love you all (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago* by futurebound

I wanted to say this while we're in a period of price stagnation, so it won't appear artificial. I also wanted to express why I love you so much.

My discovery of Bitcoin has had the single greatest impact on my worldview to date. The minds that I have connected with here are among the most brilliant I've ever encountered. The concentration of knowledge here from fields of economics, finance, and computer science is remarkable and rare.

I don't have as computer science background. I actually study biology. But, when I discovered Bitcoin, specifically this subreddit, I became interested to the point of obsession. Not an hour passes that it does not enter my mind. Some of the voices that I’ve heard here, from the known faces and the unknown faces, have become my heroes.

Many parallels can be drawn between Bitcoin, populations, organisms, and life itself. Some of the familiar patterns are feedback loops and sigmoidal curves.

But Bitcoin doesn't express the properties of feedback loops and sigmoidal growth with its protocol alone. No, it is the interaction of people with the protocol that makes the network come alive. The same way that life's source code, DNA, cannot create life without interacting with its environment.

Without community, Bitcoin is just source code. The simple realization of this is mind-boggling. In the same way that an organism is not equivalent to its DNA, Bitcoin is not equivalent to its protocol. Organism = DNA -> proteins -> cell(s) -> etc + feedback and interaction with environment. Each layer has a certain degree of plasticity that allows the organism to adapt and evolve. The same analogy can be applied to the layers of Bitcoin. Except, there’s a much greater degree of plasticity to Bitcoin than there is to a biological organism because it can adapt and evolve through conscious effort. This is especially true in its still early development.

To the core developers: Suggest and make the changes you deem necessary to the protocol. There’s others around you and a voting mechanism to help check your work. We realize that it’s like repairing a 747 mid-flight, but Bitcoin is a risky investment. We must take risks in order to change the world. I believe in you.

To the developers and companies on the periphery: You provide the shape, form, and color that makes Bitcoin enticing and useful for all. Keep innovating and searching for those killer apps.

To the rest of us: Help create the culture that invites newcomers, fosters innovation, and provides support. Help create such a clear and beautiful painting of the future that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I proudly work for the world’s first digital autonomous corporation and I would like to thank all of my coworkers for their hard work and dedication. Together we can and will change the world.

[–]v1- 25 points 1 hour ago

Agreed with your point about bitcoin changing your outlook on life.

For my whole life, I was content to sit in my room. I knew all of the problems of the world, but I didn't know of a way to solve them. I thought that my best bet was to just live as an outsider until I died.

But Bitcoin showed me the power of an idea. A small amount of code can change the world. I mean completely change the world. The implications are amazing. This is way beyond things like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.

As a result, I am completely and fully engaged in life now. I now understand the power of ideas, and the power of technology. I have opened my mind to all sorts of things that only Bitcoin could have introduced me to - financial things, economic things, political things, etc.

I am at least 3 times more alive than I was before I found Bitcoin. We are on the brink of something major here. The price is irrelevant. I am not sure how to sleep at night anymore. Sometimes I wonder why other people are so content to go about their day to day activities like nothing is happening.

In any case, the fact that you brought up biology made me remember this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/1vuaqv/ltc_dude_here_i_love_you_guys_crypto_blows_my/

Ignore the dogecoin slant, and read it as a thought on all cryptocoins. It's quite a profound post.

[–]futurebound[S] 7 points 1 hour ago

I think we're all experiencing this tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_of_the_tongue). We know that something is here and we're searching for the ways to articulate it to others.

[–]v1- 5 points 1 hour ago

Yes exactly. I actually feel that way about a few things in my life. It's gonna be tough but I want to find a way to use my knowledge in certain areas to help impact the world positively.

But, Bitcoin comes first. I am not greedy, but financial freedom gives one the free time to pursue crazy ideas.

[–]mehoor 5 points 43 minutes ago

Bitcoin is character building. It's made me call out the bullshit that blights daily life like never before.

[–]futurebound[S] 1 point 7 minutes ago

I've read several articles explaining the concept. Here's one: http://letstalkbitcoin.com/bitcoin-and-the-three-laws-of-robotics/#.UvFsn_vWrTo

Basically I'm a share holder, so I increase the wealth of the corporation. I also contribute to advertising by explaining Bitcoin to other people and I participate in discussion in the subreddit. It's interesting because you could almost say that I get paid to do it if the value rises.

The best part about it is that the economic incentive aligns with my ideals and a world with a superior technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Saw this in the lobby of my business school (i.imgur.com)

submitted 9 hours ago by borrakkor

[–]fakejournalist1 76 points 9 hours ago

You should ask him specific questions on how Bitcoin works and then heckle him when he can't answer.

[–]fakejournalist1 64 points 8 hours ago

Go over his previously written articles (they're all anti-bitcoin and easy to find with google news search) and quote him on retarded things he's claimed and ask him to expand on those quotes.

Then correct his rear end. Or if you want to troll, just make him double down on a wrong statement and act as if you're on his side and that this whole bitcoin thing is really scary.

[–]HawaiianDry 12 points 5 hours ago

You tell this guy that as a former Lambda Psi chapter president, I'm ashamed that he would resort to these scare tactics. Tell him that Deltasigs are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard.

[–]freedom-d 6 points 4 hours ago

Well since you have an indirect connection why don't you schedule a meeting with him. Ask why he is anti BTC and, irregardless of the current BTC economy, ask him about the tech itself.

My brother is a financial planner and very conservative financially. He is so anti BTC and was really worried about me in Dec. I've been slowly having these talks with him. He'll come around eventually.

[–]MeanOfPhidias 19 points 5 hours ago

Ask him to describe in technical detail how transactions work.

Gets new people every time

Edit: Here are some more

Ask him to explain eliptic curve cryptography and its application in Bitcoin

Ask him to explain the Byzantine General's problem and how Bitcoin addresses it

Then ask him about deflationary currency as a store of value.

Basically he will have just explained why Bitcoin is awesome. If you pull that off kudos

[–]USheep 4 points 5 hours ago

Bring a camera or someone that can record him answering questions on their phone.

[–]PotatoBadger 4 points 4 hours ago

Ask him questions that make it sound like you're on his side, then question his incorrect answers.

What are some of the things Satoshi Nakamoto could do to manipulate Bitcoin when it gets big enough?

He could print more bitcoins.

Don't the majority of Bitcoin users, miners, and merchants have to reach consensus on such a protocol change?

Uhh...

[–]ThePiachu 1 point 37 minutes ago

You could try asking him about how the banking system works and why in the age where we can stream gigabytes of data across the globe instantly it takes a bank transfer a few weeks and $10++ to clear.

Or perhaps how many fiat currencies have been inflated into extinction.

Or why the us is using a currency issued by a private company (federal reserve - it's even on the notes) rather than minting its own money.

Etc. etc. Prepare a few questions that he might not be prepared for and put him on the defensive, rather than let him take over the debate and put you on the defensive for things you might not be prepared for.

[–]polycoin 4 points 4 hours ago

Totally unprofessional and un-professorial. As an educator, which he claims to be, aren't you supposed to just state the facts without personal bias? Shame.

[–]iooonik 4 points 4 hours ago

Ask him how he manages to get paid for this poo poo. Seriously, going around and bashing new technologies constitutes a job these days?

[–]gkrizek 4 points 4 hours ago

I wish something like that would come to my school. I would be that rear end in a top hat that asks him questions he can't answer or ones that destroy his point.

[–]vandeam 7 points 8 hours ago

i would steal that sign.. it would be worth alot of money in 5-10 years.. when bitcoin replaces USD. :D

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Request for information for lawsuit against Michael Marquardt / Theymos (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago* by matthewnealwright

Over a year ago, MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT aka Theymos, was advertising that the community needed a new forum software and everyone was excited. So excited that we agreed to donate to the cause for the betterment of the community. Since that time, the donations have been spent on everything but new forum software development, and now he has over 5500 BTC that are used to pay moderators as well.

When asked about the new forum software, MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT has blown it off saying he just doesn't have time. I donated 10 BTC under the specific impression it would be used for a specific purpose, which over a year later it has not. That is like donating to a very specific PETA campaign to save an animal rescue, finding out they didn't bother saving the rescue, and instead used the funds for buying bacon cheeseburgers. It's unlawful to say the least.

Since then, I have asked MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT politely (on several occasions) to either refund the money that was donated for the specific cause, or to proceed with the new forum software. He responded by banning me from the forums for "trolling", which I remain banned from, hindering me from my duties at a conference organizer for Amsterdam and Miami, keeping me from being able to work out issues with debts from people sending mail on the site to my account, restricting me from rebutting against scammer claims on forum-specific deals, and generally making my life more difficult (thanks MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT!).

The forum has been hacked and brought down twice since then, and each time this issue is brought up and swept under the rug by the admin of both /r/Bitcoin and bitcointalk.org (MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT himself).

I am requesting personal information on MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT so that I can file my civil suit against him with as little delay as possible for the 10 BTC I feel he defrauded me of.

I have given him 6 months to do the right thing but I can wait no longer. Anyone else who feels the same and who has donated to the new "forum software" can join the lawsuit if they so wish.

Cheers!

Matthew

EDIT: MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT, I know how proud you are and unable to admit your faults, so I'll make this very simple. If even *anonymously, 10 BTC is returned to 1Ke5xktrJSGe9HNLKrDt9UopAtL3XEQaoF, then I will consider the lawsuit settled.*

EDIT 2: Thanks to an anonymous donor, I now have the general contact information for MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT out of University of Wisconsin, Madison. I'm now looking for any other people who have also feel they have been defrauded with their donations.

EDIT 3: I have received messages from other donators who wish to participate in the lawsuit and I will be moving to file. I will keep the community updated.

[–]matthewnealwright[S] -1 points 1 hour ago

The lawsuit is to retrieve funds that I believe were defrauded. If I receive those funds, then the purpose of the lawsuit has been accomplished. It is not a criminal lawsuit, but a civil one. If I were asking for a criminal lawsuit, it would be for any of the highly illegal ponzi/unregistered securities frauds Michael Marquardt / Theymos has been involved in operating and enabling.

[–]theymos 3 points 26 minutes ago

I'm sure you'll be happy to know that your 10 BTC (worth $52.90 at the time of donation) was spent in December on a $150,000 deal to hire a software development firm. Because I was very careful about spending forum money, your donation provided $6408.50 toward forum software development.

I'm glad that we could get this settled.

[–]nopf 1 point 49 minutes ago

Probably dumb question: Why do people still use traditional forums? To me, the user experience of something like reddit is vastly superior. What are some essential forum features that are missing on reddit?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

no

...!
Oct 5, 2003

My name is Robness(neo-rave rocker in l.a).....I have officially declared that I will not accept U.S dollar anymore. Crypto has got my faith in the future and I intend to hit the streets...to be continued... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 hours ago by RobnessCumba

https://www.soundcloud.com/Robness if anyone is interested (this is not a promotional thing....) I just wanted to state my love for this oncoming revolution and can't wait for the liberation of musicians without major labels getting their due. Much love, style and grace.

[–]r_melee 4 points 2 hours ago

Robness I'm a musician in la too. Find me. I'm playing a show tomorrow night at loaded on Hollywood blvd. @shooterjennings on twitter

[–]RobnessCumba[S] 1 point 36 minutes ago

Sweet! See...I was apprehensive about posting but these kind of responses are totally worth dealing with the hater comments. Will try to make it out tomorrow night. Thanks for the invite!

[–]jehnubis 5 points 5 hours ago

Nice to to know but dont tell us redditers how you feel. Run out and convince all your friends, family, and co-workers about you thoughts. When you do live events tell your audience you accept bitcoins with large qr codes etc.

You'll be doing better justice spreading the word in your community.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I am going to the MtGox offices IN-PERSON next week to demand attention for my stuck funds. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 55 minutes ago by croketg29

I did a furikomi (Japan domestic bank transfer) in December for a large amount and forgot to include my payer ID number, so they have the funds but they were never applied to my account. After many many emails/tickets I've gotten no help.

Luckily I live in Tokyo, so I can get to their office easily.

Any ideas on how best to do this? Best case scenario I knock on the door and they listen to me and fix my problem. Worst case is they call the cops I guess.

Any advice? Good idea? Bad idea?

[–]NeilDeSnowden 1 point 4 minutes ago

Honestly it would probably work. Go in with a list of accounts that need their BTC withdrawn (to their withdrawal address on their accounts) immediately for personal reasons. Be polite, and just say this list of people from reddit need to cash out asap and ask if they would they be able to do it now.

[–]joshnorris14 2 points 46 minutes ago

A shakedown is necessary every once in a while.

[–]croketg29[S] 1 point 38 minutes ago

Maybe it was a mistake to make this post. If they see it they might bolster security to make sure I can't even get to them. Should I delete?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

http://bitcoinfinancialassociation.org/ :stare:

This gigantic rambling letter to regulators hits most of the libertarian credos. "Regulation of bitcoins is a bad idea" is woven throughout it but it also has plenty of poo poo like "money laundring is not a crime!" "violence!" and other insane bullshit. It's worth the read.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

he even mentions "thought crime" at one point

...!
Oct 5, 2003

unsurprisingly, the bitcoiners are so clueless that they don't understand that the colbert report is satire:

Stephen Colbert Gets Bitcoin Right (southernmarylandpokemon.com)

submitted 9 hours ago by ninetales1234

[–]zefy_zef 2 points 4 hours ago

Hah, imagine if he had converted his Super PAC into BTC! That would be something..

[–]jehnubis 1 point 2 hours ago

I agree with Colbert and i think bitcoin is worth 800 trillion dollars, marketcap. Will the online world agree with me?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

this one is not so much about the op and more about the crippling autism that follows it. no humor-based altcoins allowed!:

PSAHello and welcome to a new age of GabeN currency! (self.pcmasterrace)

submitted 9 hours ago by salamachaaSteam ID Here - stickied post

Why hello /r/pcmasterrace! Do you have time to talk about our Lord and Savior's very own cryptocoin: GabeNcoin?

What is GabenCoin?

GabenCoin is THE cryptocurrency of the master race. It was bestowed to the world on January 26, 2014 at 03:45:28 AM(Timezone unknown). It is named after our beloved and respected leader Sir Gabe Newell, bringer of source, sales, and contentment to the master race.

It is a coin that is mined using the scrypt algorithm that disburses 1000 coins per block at a target of one block every minute.

At /r/GabeN_coin we believe that mining cryptocurrency (magic internet money) should be fun for everyone. We keep everything light hearted and fun similar to how things are in /r/pcmasterrace. If you want to check us out come on down to /r/gaben_coin.

Why should I mine GabeNs?

Do you enjoy spreading the joy of GabeN to countless others? Do you have a graphics card in your shrine? Then you already have the equipment and the love of GabeN in your heart, so GabeNcoin is perfect for you.

How can I get started?

You can visit our wiki here for more information about how to set everything up. For beginnners, we recommend using guiminerscrypt. There are also some wonderful guides on puddleduck.net.

Where can I get real money and items for my GabeNcoin?

Come check /r/gaben_market , the official trading place of GabeNcoin. You are free to buy, sell or trade GabeN for goods, services, etc.

Bbbuttt... Think about the GPU's!?!?!?

We at /r/GabeN_coin do not condone gpu abuse and give our gpus plenty of gaming and rest in the time between mining sessions. We are a proud supporter of PETG (People for the Ethical Treatment of Graphics Cards).

[–]SexWithAGoat 2 points 43 minutes ago

Let me enlighten you, because OP's post is being dishonest by not mentioning Bitcoin, which is the coin that started this whole crypto-currency revolution. GabenCoin is just a clone of a clone of a clone. There are literally hundreds of clones which only change the name and the logo (and little more, sometimes they change things they don't understand in the code and gently caress up), created by people who expect to get rich easily without giving nothing of value to the world. ( :ironicat: )

In any case, if you are interested in the subject, here's the Bitcoin FAQ and /r/Bitcoin (just so you have an idea, r/Bitcoin is a very small subset of the whole Bitcoin world. Bitcoin is way bigger than r/Bitcoin). There you will be able to learn about blocks and whatnot.

[–]SexWithAGoat 1 point 33 minutes ago*

Raping people's GPUs is needed as Proof of Work, a concept used by Bitcoin and its clones to fairly distribute the payments that the network generates for the miners (Bitcoin is also known to be the first DAO - distributed autonomous corporation). The coin's network benefits from this because it secures it against 51% attacks. These attacks are a real risk when the network is weak (most clones' networks are extremely weak), because the coin is decentralized, and someone gaining too much hashing power could manipulate it (eg: if you had lots of GPUs or other mining gear you could do this).

[–]CalvinHouse 1 point 14 minutes ago

Yeah people do some research. OP is trying to mislead you by intentionally not even mentioning Bitcoin. This coin is based off of the original, Bitcoin.

You're much better off just using Bitcoin. You can use it at TigerDirect, Overstock, Porn.com, Gyft.com, CheapAir.com just to name a few. Even xidax which allows you to build pcs accepts them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

/r/actualmoney Improvement Proposal 01 posted and deleted by legal tender money lovers. Who lives in the real world now (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by fts42

Posted the following to /r/actualmoney and it got deleted (not instantly, so I guess a moderator did it). I don't care if they expect me to post stuff with only humor/satire pointed in a particular direction or with a particular attitude towards legal tender money, I just spoke my mind. After all, legal tender money is money of the real world, right? So let's be frank (although with some parody):

After writing a comment explaining some of the fundamental workings of actual legal tender moneys here I came up with an idea to more evidently demonstrate the full potential of this form of money to all users. The idea is loosely inspired by the ideas of colored coins and smart property which I am sure you are all well aware of.

Hereby I present to you Actual legal tender money Improvement Proposal AIP 01: Notes of Effects in the Real World (NERW).

The idea is that since each note is printed on an order from a living person and is intended for real world activities, such as running the government, we could add a special field to each note, called "Designation", specifying the precise activity that it is intended to do, so that each subsequent recipient could see the wisdom of the creators and redistributors of the money. Furthermore, I propose that we add another field, of the type ordered list, called "Effect in the Real World", listing all the actual impact in real life of this very actual form of money after each transaction. These simple changes would bring some very useful information which I believe would be simple enough for everyone to interpret and make better decisions based upon, and also greatly improve the workings of webs of trust, reputation systems and one of actual legal tender money's crowning features - the Anti Money Laundering protocol. I believe that these two fields would carry so much useful information that they could one day render the "amount" field obsolete (but we could leave it in, just for backwards compatibility with all of today's doublespeak).

But to see how it actually works let's imagine a real world scenario:

Alice uses the services of an obstetrician called Bob and then, to pay for the service, she presents Bob with a NERW legal tender payment representing the manufacture and subsequent use of depleted uranium munitions that eventually led to birth defects in 10 Iraqi children, among which a mortality rate of 90% was observed. Bob accepts the note, since it is in legal tender, and legal tender means that by law the person owed cannot refuse it as a payment of debt, unless another payment currency was specified at the time a contract was entered into, if the debt originated from a contract at all. Bob now is the undisputed owner of this NERW and can do whatever he wants with his NERW.

Another example: Alice is not yet aware of the full potential of actual legal tender money and therefore does not accept it in payment for her work or in any kind of contract she enters into. Alice's baby is accidentally killed by Carol Co. corporation. The blockchain of actual legal tender money judges through an intelligent legislatively codified process (not through the cold inhumanity of computers as with Bitcoin) that Carol Co. corporation is to pay Alice for damages in actual legal tender money. Carol Co. corporation pays Alice with notes that bear the same fore-mentioned Designations and Effect in the Real World. Alice is forced to accept the settlement as this is the verdict of the wise blockchain of actual legal tender money.

I hope you now better understand the potential of actual legal tender money. What do you think - would you accept such money?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Apple Yanks World’s Most Popular Bitcoin Wallet From App Store

By Robert McMillan
7:46 PM

Photo: Wired

Photo: Ariel Zambelich/WIRED

Apple has removed the world’s most popular bitcoin wallet from its App Store.

Late Wednesday, the tech giant yanked the Blockchain app from the popular mobile app marketplace and did not provide a specific reason, says Nicolas Cary, the CEO of Blockchain. The app is currently used by about 120,000 people to send and receive the world’s most popular digital currency. Blockchain users can still run the app on their iPhones and Macs, but they will no longer be able to get software updates via Apple. There are more than 1 million Blockchain users worldwide.

Apple could not be immediately reached for comment, but Cary forwarded WIRED a copy of the email he received from Apple. It says the app had been “removed from the App Store due to an unresolved issue.” Whatever the particulars of the removal, it’s yet another bump in the road as bitcoin struggles to gain mainstream acceptance.

Before it got pulled, Blockchain had been the only bitcoin wallet app available to Apple users, Cary says.

Last year, a wallet called BitPak shut down operations after being turfed from the App Store, and in November, Apple bumped another popular bitcoin wallet, called Coinbase. It had survived less than a month in Apple land. The Blockchain was released in the App store in April 2012. Apple had previously removed the Blockchain app too, but it was later re-accepted, Cary says.

Some believe that Apple may be dumping bitcoin wallets because of the emerging, somewhat confusing international regulations surrounding bitcoin. But like others, Blockchain’s Cary argues that his app was pulled because Apple sees bitcoin as a potential competitor. “I think that Apple is positioning itself to take on mobile payments in a way they haven’t described to the public and they’re being anti-competitive.”

In contrast, bitcoin is still welcome on Android. Both the Blockchain and Coinbase apps are available on Google Play. And Google is reportedly looking into ways of working with the digital currency. “We’re totally cool with Google,” says Cary.

[–]iThunderbird 19 points 2 hours ago*

Ffs. Apple is such suck much retard.

I used to be such an apple advocate. Regretting my move to apple now....gotta relearn Gate's os and android platform.

[–]montseayo[S] 25 points 3 hours ago

It's obvious Apple is taking a scorched earth policy against anything and everything that threatens its mobile payments strategy.

[–]Ryan1188 8 points 2 hours ago

orrrrrrr dumping their products all together strictly because of their stance on subjects like this. This isn't a legal issue, it's pure anti-competitiveness.

I'm done with Apple all together.

[–]Lloydie1 3 points 2 hours ago

Apple may believe that they rule the world having defeated adobe in the war on flash but on the issue of bitcoin, Apple cannot win. They will be forced to reverse course, when they lose material market share to android.

[–]jaka_juka -2 points 1 hour ago

Apple is probably getting paid big by someone to do this

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Blockchain’s Response to Apple
Posted on February 6, 2014

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward.” – Apple, Inc.

Perhaps Apple should have added a disclaimer: “As long as the ‘rebels’ don’t threaten our profit margin”. The rebels no longer run the show at Apple Inc, the beancounters are now firmly in charge.

On Wednesday February 5th, Apple attempted to strike a devastating blow to the bitcoin ecosystem on iOS by removing “Blockchain”, the last remaining bitcoin wallet app, from the App Store. Offering no explanation and no opportunity to address any issues, without any apparent change in circumstances other than the growing popularity of the independent and competitive payment system, Apple has eradicated their payment competition on iOS and left the bitcoin space entirely to competing mobile OSs like Google’s Android.

These actions by Apple once again demonstrate the anti-competitive and capricious nature of the App Store policies that are clearly focused on preserving Apple’s monopoly on payments rather than based on any consideration of the needs and desires of their users.

The blockchain application is the same one that has been on the App Store for 2 years, with more than 120,000 downloads, no customer complaints, and a broad user base. The only thing that has changed is that bitcoin has become competitive to Apple’s own payment system. By removing the blockchain app, the only bitcoin wallet application on the App store, Apple has eliminated competition using their monopolistic position in the market in a heavy handed manner.

Further demonstrating the arbitrary basis of this decision, Apple’s official communication says that the app was removed because of an “unresolved issue”, a claim that cannot even be disputed and boils down to “because we said so”. There was no communication prior to removal of this popular app, no indication of any problems and no opportunity to redress any issues, making a mockery of the claim that there was an “unresolved issue”. Sadly, Coinbase, Gliph, and CoinJar have all been sacrificed on the altar of innovation.

Apple’s censorship of bitcoin applications, especially when view in the context of removing a 2 year app with 120,000 downloads is historic and unprecedented.

The decision attacks a nascent and innovative technology that is empowering more than 2.5 million users on a vast variety of computing devices, around the world by giving them unfettered and complete control over their money, while disrupting centralized payment systems controlled by corporate behemoths, such as Apple. The response of users to the restrictions placed on bitcoin applications have led thousands to flee to Google’s Android mobile OS, which offers a much more open environment for innovation. Unlike Apple, Google has accepted hundreds of bitcoin-related applications even though they also compete against the company’s own payment system “Google Wallet”.

Bitcoin is a revolutionary new peer-to-peer currency and payment system that is empowering millions around the world, especially the unbanked and underbanked who can use it to gain access to international banking facilities with nothing more than a smartphone. Bitcoin’s use for international payments from family members sending money home to support entire communities in the developing world and for charity fundraising and fund distribution will be severely affected by this decision. As of Wednesday, bitcoin is no longer available to those using iOS devices, once again leaving them to the mercy of oppressive currency controls and governments in some of the worst regimes in the world.

Comment from Kyle Drake at Coinpunk.com, an open-source HTML5 bitcoin wallet, a contributor to the BlockChain HTML5 Wallet that’s already available.

“Bitcoin users, we need your help. We need you to take a stand against Apple, make noise, complain, and show Apple that there will be consequences to their actions.”

PETITION TO APPLE: http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-allow-bitcoin-wallets-on-the-iphone

[–]Narrator 69 points 2 hours ago

How to make 1 billion dollars:

Start a "rebel" company.
Create a mass following and a rock solid brand.
Sell out big time to the man.

[–]di0genetic 64 points 3 hours ago

good. gently caress apple.
Let their opposition to bitcoin hasten their demise.

[–]zefy_zef 32 points 2 hours ago

Instead of convincing apple to accept bitcoin apps I would really rather we convince users to move away from apple devices. Same way that I feel instead of arguing that verizon should stop moving backwards and allow unlimited data, I would rather we convince people to switch carriers, and stop eating their bullshit.

[–]mastermind1228 2 points 2 hours ago

Exactly! Look how fast Blackberry fell. People switched from Microsoft to Apple very quickly. People will leave Apple for something better just as fast.

Google has always had our back. Lets appreciate that.

[–]minerscentral 11 points 3 hours ago

Could blockchain bring apple to court?

[–]kukkuzejt 4 points 2 hours ago

Greater empires have fallen when they became arrogant and complacent.

[–]iooonik 2 points 1 hour ago

This iPhone I have will be the last Apple product I buy. I am switching to Droid, sorry Apple but you have overstepped your boundaries.

[–]vacuu 2 points 1 hour ago

I'm keeping score, apple. The internet never forgets.

[–]mastermind1228 2 points 2 hours ago

We (the internet community) give Apple too much free and good publicity. I think we should take this as a chance to show them we have the power to give them as much negative publicity.

[–]tekdemon 1 point 2 hours ago

Wow this is lovely apple, now my friends who are just getting into bitcoin can't even download a loving wallet?

[–]JasonBored 1 point 1 hour ago

Yeah this is bullshit. I've been an Apple user 20 years.. this is the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Me and my family spend significant amount of money on Apple products a year and while it won't make a dent in their bottom line, out of principle I am taking all of our business elsewhere.

Time to email some Apple execs. (Not that it will probably have any effect).

[–]Ryfitz 1 point 36 minutes ago

Perhaps the best plan of action would be to have all Bitcoin faithful record themselves destroying their iPhone in different interesting ways, explaining why and what Apple is up to, and uploading them on YouTube... Then we make sure to blow up the videos and try to make they reach other people who may not even use Bitcoin, that way we promote Bitcoin and use apples consistent Bitcoin hate against them.

[–]xbt_ 1 point 20 minutes ago

Alright, that's it. I'm selling my iphone5 and going Android. F' this man.

Give your users what they want, and stop trying to silence Bitcoin for your short sighted profit margins. Long term this is going to be a huge black eye for you and you'll end up having to allow these apps anyway once you realize your stupidity.

[–]martypete 1 point 12 minutes ago

Hopefully this will inspire a mass exodus from Apple.

[–]bitcoin-litecoin 1 point 10 minutes ago

apple will be bankrupt.

[–]nssan 0 points 3 hours ago

yes it is a company that can do what it wants, BUT it is a public company that have shareholders and majority of shareholders are average joes like you and I

[–]ons1 1 point 2 hours ago

Too bad Steve Jobs is no longer in our place. He would have allowed bitcoin, setup an awesome easy to use ios wallet for it, be awesome and let everyone pAy using their iphones and icash systems with bitcoin. Again being a true pioneer in the future of online financial systems. Awesome.

[–]r2pleasent 0 points 2 hours ago

It's funny, because this is such a ridiculously obvious anti-competition case. These are the exact things which the government should be looking to stop. And they'll do nothing about it.

So long as this predatory practice remains unpunished, the entire Federal Trade Commission should get their paychecks held. This poo poo is ridiculous. Large companies like Apple are literally strangling innovation right in plain sight. This is a farce to the entire system.

gently caress Apple, gently caress the Federal Trade Commission, gently caress every single politician. Absolute scum all around.

[–]kinoshitajona -2 points 2 hours ago

Dear God, please, someone make an altcoin called Applecoin and make the website all pompously over designed and self-promoting that makes it sound like you created crypto and proof of work.

I just want to see Apple get pissed at it and try to cease and desist it.

Then try submitting apps that are Applecoin wallets en masse.

Please, someone make this a reality.

Love, The immature 14 uear old version of myself living in my brain

[–]mastermind1228 -3 points 2 hours ago

Apple should take a hard look at a company called -Blackberry-. 5 years ago, every single person had a Blackberry in their hands. The company lost focus and fell faster than it rose.

https://www.google.com/finance?chdn...yUugHgvfrAbySAQ

Apple rose to success partly due to the free viral publicity it received from the internet community. They should acknowledge the community that help them rise and not fight them.

Steve Jobs was a great man. Tim Cook is a terrible one.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Robert Viglione HUMBLE, TX

12 minutes ago
Liked 1

Bitcoin is the single most liberating technology being developed for humanity right now. Standing against any such peaceful, liberating technology is immoral. Of course, Apple has every right to refuse to participate, but we consumers also have our right to forever boycott the company.

Connell Wise WASHINGTON, DC

37 minutes ago
Liked 1

One of the World Greatest Political leaders once Said:"There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty". - #Margaretthatche

Rob Blasetti AUSTRALIA

11 minutes ago
Liked 0

Apple is stifling innovation and putting their profit margin ahead of the prosperity of the human race.

Skaag Argonius JERSEY CITY, NJ

15 minutes ago
Liked 0

This is bigger than any one of us. Bitcoin is a tool of freedom. By eliminating Bitcoin, you support tyranny and oppression of the masses!

Roberto Lara SAN DIEGO, CA

37 minutes ago
Liked 0

Bitcoin, and access to Bitcoin is a right that Apple should not impede.

Mathieu Ferland LA PRAIRIE, CANADA

about 2 hours ago
Liked 0

I was (and I mean.. WAS) a huge fan of apple products but if you don't change your mind, I'll have no choice to switch to Android. You really think you can win the race against Bitcoin? C'mon.. do your homework! It just can't be better simply because it wont be decentralized!

Lucas Shaw PORTLAND, OR

about 2 hours ago
Liked 0

I was a loyal apple customer for years, I'm 18 years old and will most likely never purchase another apple product again, its clear that APPLE only cares about the bottom line of AAPL not it's customers who make it what it is. gently caress YOU APPLE

Chris Buchholz SOOKE, BC, CANADA

about 3 hours ago
Liked 0

Because enough is enough Apple! You've gone too far

Adam Kozak LONDON, CANADA

about 4 hours ago
Liked 0

Sell your Apple stock quick, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Damien McKenna KEENE, NH

about 4 hours ago
Liked 0

There is no technical or legal reason for Bitcoin to be banned on iOS.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Apple has mad it very clear it is not cool with Bitcoin. Does the swarm end up taking over and making their resistance Futile or is this a major hurdle to Bitcoin adoption? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 25 minutes ago by cryptotraveler

Apple has made it very clear it is not cool with Bitcoin. Does the swarm end up taking over and making their resistance Futile or is this a major hurdle to Bitcoin adoption?

[–]HappyOwlCEO 2 points 22 minutes ago

when stories start being published about waves of people dropping their iPhones for android devices specifically for a wallet app, they'll re-evaluate.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

For every 100 upvotes this post receives, I will gift someone a Nexus 5 for a video of them smashing their iPhone (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago* by round-peg

I will do this for up to 500 upvotes (5 devices). First-come first-served.

Criteria:

1) The device must be an iPhone 5 or 5S running iOS7.

2) The video must be uploaded to YouTube and be publicly accessible.

3) In the video you must show your face, state your name and why you're smashing your iPhone. Your reason should include the fact that Apple is anti-bitcoin, not just because you want a free trade for a new phone. Then load this post and upvote it from the device. Then smash it. It must be obviously destroyed beyond repair and function. Get creative!

4) Post the video link in this thread

Things to consider:

The Nexus 5 does not work on Verizon, so please check carrier compatibility. Verizon may not be the only carrier it doesn't work on.

I'll place the order through Google Play or Amazon, your choice. Through Google Play you have color options, but it takes 2-3 weeks to ship. Amazon will ship from a 3rd party provider, but it should ship in 1-2 days. In either case you may want a plan for the interim.

You'll need to disclose a shipping address to me at some point, otherwise I won't know where to get it delivered.

If you smash your phone but haven't actually followed all of the above criteria, it will not count.

Not sure how to prove that I will do this, if anyone has a suggestion please feel free to mention it.

Edit: Videos will be counted in chronological order by when they're posted. If this somehow happens to take off and you're the sixth person to post your video... I'm sorry.

Edit 2: This probably wasn't the best time to post this since I'm about to go to bed, but I was excited about the idea and I'll be back in the morning!

Edit 3: I have put the funds in escrow with /u/NerdfighterSean (see below), and the first iPhone has been smashed, and first order for a Nexus 5 placed.

[–]TheBusker 5 points 43 minutes ago

Way to be resourceful. Destroying a perfectly good phone that can be donated to someone who doesn't have or can't afford such a phone so that you can perpetuate your childish battle against Apple.

[–]round-peg[S] -1 points 38 minutes ago

Why would I want to promote the donation of phones on which the recipient cannot choose their own software?

[–]Rage-- -2 points 19 minutes ago

If someone can't afford a phone why would it be good to give them something that requires you to pay up keep

[–]Rage-- 1 point 8 minutes ago

But it doesn't send the same message but.. Which is the entire purpose of this whole thing

[–]imahotdoglol 1 point 42 minutes ago*

This is just plain stupid, you can sell an iPhone 5 or 5S and buy your own nexus 5 and still have money left over.

[–]round-peg[S] -1 points 37 minutes ago

The statement being made is worth the difference.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eager to switch from Apple for pulling the Blockchain app, but still under contract? just a reminder: T-mobile will pay your early termination fees, up to $350 per line. (t-mobile.com)

submitted 7 hours ago by martypete

[–]Ronald_Wilkins 5 points 5 hours ago

This is war apple.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Where to complain at Apple for removing bitcoin wallet apps! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by anonbitcoin

Administrators at Apple get much faster stressed out from people complaining! Especially when they call for free:

Fernand Kuijken — Service and Support Administration (Europe)  | Apple Distribution International Tel: 00800 2775 2775 Ext. 67634 / Email: kuijken.f@apple.com

René Konschak — Service and Support (Germany)  | Apple Distribution International Tel: 00800 2775 2775 Ext. 85218 / Email: rkonschak@apple.com

(Call only the Tel number, enter the Ext after the voice asked you)

PS: If you have move contacts from Apple Administrators, I'd like to enhance this post.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

It's Break Your iPhone Day! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by Imaharak

I want to see a thousand pictures of broken Iphones!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Feb 6th, 2014
Coinpunk's Response to Apple for Removal of Blockchain App

Apple has just pulled the last and biggest Bitcoin wallet from the App Store: Blockchain.

Blockchain being pulled from the app store proves what we've been saying all along: Apple isn't banning Bitcoin apps because of "legal grounds" (nobody is talking about making Bitcoin illegal), they're banning Bitcoin apps to anti-competitively prop up their own payments service. Because Blockchain's wallet and Coinpunk are HTML5 apps, we are the last Bitcoin wallets that can be used on the iPhone because you can use our wallets via Safari, which Apple can't block.

Bitcoin users, we need your help. We need you to take a stand against Apple, make noise, complain, and show Apple that there will be consequences to their actions. Now, only Coinpunk and Blockchain's HTML5 apps work on the iPhone.

Coinpunk needs your help to continue working on Coinpunk to ensure Apple can't stop Bitcoin. Contribute to our crowdfund campaign, help us fight Apple, help us provide universal Bitcoin adoption for everyone in the world.

Sign the petition to Apple to stop blocking Bitcoin wallet apps

...!
Oct 5, 2003

"Think Different About Bitcoin" - Contest to re-edit Apple's iconic ad (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 10 hours ago* by JasonBored

Hey guys. By now everyone has seen/heard about Apple's decision to remove the most popular (and last remaining) bitcoin wallet from their App Store. The reason they gave for removing the Blockchain app was a vague "unresolved issue".

Corporations can do whatever they want, but I know I'm not alone when I say that this is not the Apple of old. This is not the Apple where Steve Jobs challenged people to "think different". This is Applesoft!

Anyways, I'm holding a contest. You guys know me as the guy who leaked the emails with top Google execs about their plans to integrate bitcoin. Today my mission is different, and more profound.

I want us, the bitcoin community, to challenge Apple to "Think Different" - about bitcoin.

Here's how it works:

1) The iconic "heres to the misfits.." ad by Apple from 1984 (re-voiced over by Steve Jobs. Please watch it

2) Re-edit the video (with either the voiceover with a new montage, or the voiceover with the old montage + new video, whatever) with a bitcoin related theme

3) We on Reddit vote for the best video. It has to be inspiring, it has to be passionate, and has to obviously maintain a bitcoin centric theme

4) The winner gets a prize in BTC from me + others who would like to donate + others I have already spoken to.

5) We make it our mission to make sure Apple sees it and reacts. Whether it means emailing every single top Apple executive/Tim Cook, or sending it to the press, Apple will see it. I got Google to react, one way or the other I will get Apple to re-act in some fashion.

Something might come out of this, something might not. But the best video gets a prize in BTC, and Apple get's reminded that their actions in 2014 are a world apart from their vision in 1984. It doesn't matter if you're an Apple user or an Android user. Apple must rethink their anti-bitcoin position for the sake of technology.

If you're an iPhone user who's affected by their stance, this should make sense. If you're an Android user, you already know Apple's on the wrong side of history with this issue.

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." ~ Steve Jobs

Let's do this. Apple’s “Think Different” ad

Update1:

1) People are asking for a time frame, I would say let's give it till the end of this weekend to post a video here.

2) The amount of the prize.. ah.. everyones favorite part. Well I can't give an exact sum since I don't know if anyone else would like to contribute, but I can say definitely a few hundred dollars (in USD) worth of BTC at least. /u/niccary (Nicolas Cary, the CEO of Blockchain.info) has pledged to donate half a bitcoin! And /u/Peter__R just pledged to donate $40 Also, /u/Isokivi (the owner of BtcTrinkets.com) has pledged anything from their current selection + free shipping to the winner)!

3) Once all the videos are submitted here I'll either make a post individually which each link or start a new thread all together for the "voting" - and the best one will soon show itself. Reddit has this little known thing called up-voting (which you are technically not allowed to ask for, so I'm not), which I feel people will use as their "vote" per say.

Lets remember the goal here. We want to challenge Apple to do what they challenged the world to do 30 years ago. Apple asked everyone to "think different" and championed disruption, innovation, rebellious spirit. I can't think of anything more disruptive, innovative, and disruptive then bitcoin. Apple is not the enemy, yet their behavior shows they've forgotten the original "Jobs Mantra". With enough exposure - and I will be sure contact all my friends in the press who carried the Google/Bitcoin story and a kick-rear end video that speaks to how important BTC, we will get Apple's attention.

Update 2:

I've setup a Blockchain.info wallet (duh!) where people can send the funds for contest donation. This way, everyone can see on the blockchain that the winner did receive his/her funds.

Here it is: 1MUjMagjPKb9oHn3jsKv1KWPtApHF6ESBG

If there is no winner, then everyone who donated will receive their funds back exactly in the amount they sent.

A) Please don't BTC tip me: If you want to donate to the contest send it to that address so that everyone can see!

B) Don't worry about me "running off" with the funds. Rest assured, I would never do such a thing, and after the Google/Bitcoin debacle my personal details are plastered allover the Internet (Forbes, Vice etc).. so I would say barring my sudden death, every satoshi donated for the contest will go the winner

Update 3

Donations are coming in. Right now we're at .66571091 BTC. That's roughly $508.75 already. More is trickling in and I'm getting messaged on the Bitcointalk Forum and IRC as well from people wanting to either donate or make a video for the contest. Remember, the video is the point, the money is the prize! The best video will get every satoshi from that contest address and I will use all my contacts, resources, and efforts (as will the entire community I hope) to push the video everywhere - especially at Apple.

Contest Prize Wallet

We are up to 1.30889475 BTC donated so far for the prize. I will periodically update this but you can click on the link above to see the Contest Prize address as well

formatting helpreddiquetteyou are doing that too much. try again in 1 minute.

[–]supermari0 48 points 8 hours ago

"Here's to the greedy ones. The conformists. The fatcats. The soft-fascists. The chisels forcing all the pegs to fit in the square holes. The ones who will make you see things their way. They make the rules. And they protect the status quo. You can support them, cooperate with them, worship or fanboy around them. About the only thing you can't do is compete with them. Because they run things. They keep the human race in line." – Apple, Inc. (translated into plain English from sloganese)

[–]zden 9 points 6 hours ago

to-do:

1) girl running with bitcoin logo on her white t-shirt

2) all those slaves with apple logo on their top face [mark of the beast ;)]

3) steve talking on the screen

4) voice changed to steve calling for caged os, hacked by nsa plus the fact that only apple knows what is best for you, because you are too weak and unmature to prevent harm from yourself

5) done? (or end up with some sort of pple logo descrution or turning itself from shiny logo to logo made of sh1t)

unfortunatelly I don't have time for this. it whould need a decent number of hours to accomplish in decent quality. It must be quality. So pple will see someone took the effort!

[–]TekHunterUk 2 points 36 minutes ago

Here is mine:

First of I would like to say that I'm sixteen years old and like many I have been inspired by your company. I have taken the time to tell you my personal opinion on apples recent actions.

Here is the problem, something at Apple has changed. After Steve Jobs passed away , the ethics and views of the company seemed to change. Don't get me wrong Tim Cook is a great CEO but the recent action Apple has taken worries me a lot.

In the History of Apple, there have been times of prosperity and trouble. Make this a period or prosperity, accept Bitcoin. Embrace the technology. Accepting Bitcoin could be the greatest PR stunt in the History of the company.

Remember, Think Differently. What happened to the Iconic Think Different AD? Remember "Those who are crazy enough to think they will change the world are the ones who do" Satoshi (Creator of Bitcoin) is the crazy one. The community behind Bitcoin is strong and will support those who embrace the technology.

Bitcoin has changed my life and inspired me to do many great things. My parents aren't millionaires they are your average middle class people. They always told me that I have to be independent and Bitcoin helped me with that. It taught me the basics of economics and it inspired me to do the subject at A Level. The point that I'm trying to make here is that just like Apple, Bitcoin changes lives.

Take one look at the community and you will realize that everyone is disappointed with your reaction to Bitcoin. The general consensus is that Apple needs to change.

Thanks for your time,

(NAME)

P.S: Remember Think Different

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I will debate anyone about Bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by Petersurda

I'm getting fed up with all the nonsense I hear from some very loud opponents of Bitcoin. I've been trying to engage some of them in a productive debate for a long time, but in some cases they just avoid confronting the arguments.

I had an idea some time ago to offer anyone (in partcular opponents/skeptics of Bitcoin, of course) to debate about Bitcoin. I am not perfect or all knowledgeable, but I think I have a good grasp on logic, and can point out to fallacies in arguments. I have been researching Bitcoin for about 3 years and now I do economic research and and consulting about it full time. I have been also writing comments all over the internet about it, wrote a master's thesis about it, have a blog. I have also been interviewed several times for magazines, radio and there are a bunch of interviews of me and lectures/conference presentations by me on youtube.

I imagine the debate would take place on google hangouts and maybe if there could be a moderator that would be great. I'm quite flexible with my time or the exact form of the debate. I don't want any money for it, and I'm even willing to finance the moderator/opponent from the donations I get for my blog (I don't think the donators would object to such a use of donations).

I'm announcing it here rather than on my blog, becuase I thought I might reach a broader audience and a better chance of finding a moderator.

Feel free to give me feedback.

[–]btchombre 6 points 1 hour ago

I used to argue a lot with people about Bitcoin, but now I just sit back and watch the revolution unfold before my eyes. I find it funny that so many people proudly proclaim that Bitcoin is doomed to fail while we all sit here and watch it succeed in real time.

[–]addict4bitcoin 4 points 46 minutes ago

True. Anyone who wants to know can find out all the info now. Most of the opposition comes from lack of knowledge or "feelings".

[–]CeasefireX 1 point 11 minutes ago

Bitcoin technology stands on it's own. I had several people tell me "who in their right mind would buy Bitcoin!!?!?!" when it was at $75. "Gold is where you need to invest, not bitcoin." ...

Now they are coming to me asking for where they can get more info ... i send them to the usual sites and the Let's Talk Bitcoin podcast .. they are converting one by one. Gonna take time is all.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

While we were all complaining about Apple removing Blockchain's app. Google quietly added some features to Gmail. (imgur.com)

submitted 5 hours ago by mastermind1228

[–]Pugwash79 10 points 5 hours ago

All they need to do now is extend this feature so you can pay with bitcoin! I can't help but think that Apple have really played into the hands of Google.

[–]Pugwash79 1 point 54 minutes ago*

I agree, there's definitely a business case for Google here! Unlike Apple, Google tend to pursue market share at a cost while they figure out how to monetize later. Google have spun out so many innovative projects over the years, but what have Apple done? basically taken the iPhone 4, stretched it and added a fingerprint sensor!!?

[–]canad1andev3loper 2 points 2 hours ago

It looks like this sends money between bank accounts for very low fees. How is this not bad for Bitcoin?

[–]GrixM 4 points 2 hours ago

Because google wallet is not available to 95% of the world. It is not at all comparable to bitcoin which is borderless.

[–]buddhathrower 3 points 2 hours ago

offering a dying system in a convenient way to the masses might give them a short term pay off. but it's still a dying system. we know what will prevail... p2p.

[–]crimdelacrim 17 points 4 hours ago

It's not pseudo anonymous. It's not decentralized. It will parallel an inflating fiat dollar. If somebody hacks your gmail I'm assuming they just also hacked your google wallet. Your google wallet is an online only option. I could go on.

[–]GrixM 2 points 2 hours ago

Because google wallet is not available to 95% of the world. It is not at all comparable to bitcoin which is borderless.

[–]gambit2727 1 point 1 hour ago

Is anyone not thinking that Google, Apple, and Amazon probably all want to get into the crypto space, and have the user base to do so?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[–]BashCo 2 points 1 hour ago

I don't fully agree with the methodology which results in perfectly good devices being destroyed, but I have to say that it's generating a solid buzz on Twitter. I don't know how it will be perceived by the general population, but I suppose the more times they hear about Bitcoin the better.

And... just maybe... Apple will be shamed into doing the right thing.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Don't smash your iphone (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by DR_McBUTTFUCK

Sell it for cheaper than anyone else is selling theirs. Part of the iphone's popularity is its resale value. Reducing the resale value is more damaging to Apple than reducing the supply of iphones.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

PSA: Apple's next shareholders' meeting is on February 28 (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 31 minutes ago by tinus42

So all you Bitcoin whales buy lots of Apple stock and let yourself be heard about Apple's decision to block Bitcoin apps three weeks from now.

"When is the next annual meeting of shareholders? The date for the next annual meeting of shareholders is February 28, 2014."

Source: http://investor.apple.com/faq.cfm

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Lurker since 2007, I feel compelled to speak up: Friends of the bitcoin community, let us have a civil discourse. I warn you that though you are justified and right in boycotting Apple, you are foolish and unreasoning in your support of Google. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 51 minutes ago by needtospeak2

I feel that both companies do us harm. Apple's walled garden infrastructure is absurd and drastically limits the possibilities of our mobile technology to benefit this world. For any grand idea you may propose, Apple's question is, "How can we make sure they cross our bridge, so we can take our toll?" But the answer is not to go to Google. They are a beast unfathomably more powerful than Apple. They are smarter than Apple. They are giving you want you want. Access to innovative technologies and they don't seem to be asking for much. But they are taking. They are taking so much data about us and our world and anyone watching the news in the last year knows that they are instrumental in spying on us. You can ignore it right now, because bitcoin seems full of promise and dreams and Google is helping facilitate that. But I think it is a dangerous bedfellow to lay with.

If bitcoin is really your prime motivation in mobile phone selection, perhaps the community should support the sub-par Mozilla cell phones. Even though the tech is a substandard product, it should be able to meet all the bitcoin needs.

Please I encourage you to debate or at least entertain this amongst yourselves.

I like the passion in this community, I appreciate the statement that the user who shot his phone was making, regardless of the environmental aspects. (It reminds me of Barbara Kingsolver's "Pigs in Heaven" when the old man shot his TV to show his commitment to his potential girlfriend that he would be an active partner in the relationship). Sometimes those displays of passion is what is needed to get each other excited.

But in my opinion, you are ditching AT&T to join Verizon.

You are eliminating Time Warner to partner with Comcast.

You are de-friending Scumbag Steve (Jobs) to go into unholy matrimony with Scumbag Stacy.

From Saruman right over to Sauron.

[–]needtospeak2[S] 2 points 11 minutes ago

I am glad you asked. I thought to include it in the body paragraph, but I felt it was already getting too long. I own an iphone. How hypocritical of me! After my first iphone purchase years ago, I saw what Apple was becoming and wished for their downfall. As android gained marketshare I championed them for a time, until I came to see them as a larger threat than Apple ever was. Recently I engaged in a (false binary) dilemma of choice between an Apple and an Android. I chose Apple again because I was more afraid of google at this point in time. But I am an human and prone to mistakes and lapses in judgment. Lets not make this too much about me, though criticism is fair.

[–]Market-Anarchist 3 points 18 minutes ago

I agree. I was using an Android, until I learned about free software and the snowden revelations. I now don't have any cell phone at all and I won't be getting one until there exists one that runs on 100% free software.

My desktop computer runs Debian GNU/Linux with zero nonfree software. If I had a laptop and wanted to use Bitcoin in public you can scan QR codes with your laptop's webcam. A little cumbersome, but definitely a small price to pay for freedom.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Had dinner with some other attorneys last night and we spent a good portion of it arguing (nicely) about bitcoins. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by BitcoinAttorney

I posted last week on here as an attorney who now accepts bitcoins. You were all wonderful and I really appreciate the support! (I remade my account with a more professional name, haha: my website )

Everyone at dinner last night (all attorneys) believed bitcoins are a non-currency criminal fad that while have me disbarred and in jail for accepting them. I highly disagree, was just shocked HOW strongly most felt against it...even though most knew nothing about it other than it's used for "criminal activity."

What's the game plan here? I know most on these forums are probably anti-lawyers, because as human beings most are, but we're a very important breed to have on your side. How should I/you go about winning my colleagues over? Think it will happen? Or it doesn't matter in most eyes?

[–]CalvinHouse 11 points 3 hours ago

Ask them which currency is used the most for illegal activity.

Then, when they go to pay for their dinner, say to them: "How dare you use those dollars, criminal. I bet they even have traces of cocaine on it."

;)

[–]ElHombreDelQueso 3 points 2 hours ago

What gets me is that these are people who should theoretically be reasonably smart enough to get a fairly tough college education and apply it in a challenging field, and here they are making completely, draw-droppingly unfounded claims like they just got off the phone with God.

Blows my mind.

[–]Essexal 4 points 2 hours ago

Been my life for months. Eventually you get over the anger at the sheer ignorance of others. Those that want to know, will ask. It's odd that you can be neck deep in this game and understand where this can go and others haven't even heard of it.

[–]sisterbliss 1 point 2 hours ago

Unfortunately I can understand their POV, the media narrative has been mostly related to illicit activity. Speaks volumes for the nature of modern day media. Anyhow, this is where it is important for the community to change the narrative, so educate them. Wouldn't you want them to do precisely that if roles were reversed?

I'd probably choose which one of them had the most sway over the others and chip away at him or her. Once one or two start falling away from the pack the rest will turn and leave too.

Tip him/her over reddit or twitter, buy a gift from a far off land for him/her you couldn't have done easily before, show them the Milk Road story with the kids as it's funny, use one of the media paywalls (e.g. Chicago Times) to show them how it can create a whole new income stream for media providers (microtransactions).

If all fails, tell them how it's giving your firm a competitive advantage and more profit in your pocket. Most lawyers I know love the pound signs!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Last ditch option for you die hard apple fans that are torn between apple & bitcoin. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by peilthetraveler

So like many of you that recently bought an iphone 5s, you are probably in a contract like me which makes it hard to get out of your iphone and into an android. I really love my iphone but this poo poo they are pulling has to stop. If they make me choose, I choose bitcoin. So I thought of one last option for us that do not want to give up our iphones and that will give apple a chance to redeem themselves. That option is Carl Icahn. For those of you that don't know, Carl Icahn is a corporate raider that has been trying to get Apple to buy back stock for months. He owns $3.6 billion of apple and he wants the share price to go up. Historically he has gotten the boards of many many companies to do what he wants. He is one of the best negotiators out there. If he knew that 100s of thousands of people are going to leave apple because of the whole bitcoin thing, he might do something to fix it. Carl hates losing money and best of all, he doesnt care about the future of companies, he cares about the present. And presently, apple is about to have a really bad 1st quarter in iphone/ipad sales if they dont change their stance on bitcoin. I say lets go and put replies all over his twitter account https://twitter.com/Carl_C_Icahn and let him know we are all going to stop buying apple products and make sure apple has the worst 1Q its had in decades if he doesnt do something.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

Joe Rogan Verified account ‏@joerogan

Apple removing the Bitcoin app after 120,000 downloads is just straight bullshit. I'm disgusted.

Joe Rogan ‏@joerogan 4h

@Yobani_Mendoza they can't take it off your phone but they keep new people from downloading it.

[–]lolstate 2 points 3 hours ago

Apple will have to do a 180. The media will probably pick up and run with this story. Daily Mail in 3.. 2.. 1..

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mark Cuban Verified account ‏@mcuban

do you really think the mobile Internet is open ? I'm not a bitcoin fanboy , but this has larger ramifications http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/02/blockchain_apple/

[–]lolstate 3 points 2 hours ago

Cuban is a smart guy. I believe he proposed the long bitcoin/short gold hedge yesterday. He's probably long bitcoin.

Myself, I'm long bitcoin, short oil. It isn't a hedge, more a doubling down given the recent geopolitics and tells originating from the Winter Olympics.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

We're All Criminals According to MSI
February 05, 2014, 12:00:49 AM

Apparently MSI thinks we're all criminals. Bitcoin and Bitcoin mining is "illegal" according to their forums.

I go there asking for assistance on fan replacement and aftermarket cooling solutions that current MSI gpu users are using and get blacklisted for mentioning "mining".

"Bit mining is a very questionable activity. Who knows where the money comes from, much less what the data or the cryptography is actually used for. It is well known for hiding money for both corrupt and terroristic purposes. "

Lol.

What?

This is the post:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=177493.0

Here is a quick summary of the exchange, including PMs.

Me: I bought 4 MSI cards back in Dec, 2x270x and 2x280x. 3 out of 4 of my cards have issues already with regards to fans. Grinding, noisy, and stuck. Yes my system is clean and I've tried canned air on them numerous times. From what I've been reading the fans are just poor quality in general when it comes to heavy users like us miners. Rather than ship these off for RMA which will take 3 months and result in a huge loss mining I'd like to just replace the fans myself. Not concerned about warranty. I'll happily give that up. The cards paid for themselves long ago.
Since I can probably buy 10 sets of fans for the cost of shipping the cards back I'd much rather that route Smiley
Can I get the part # for the fans please? Or could someone please point me in the right direction for a similar fan that would fit without any modifications?
Alternatively if there are any good 2slot aftermarket coolers that fit these gpus please let me know.
Its a shame the fans are so bad on these cards cause they perform extremely well otherwise. MSI pls take note.
Another Forum User referencing rules: Don’t…
Ask for help on shady or illegal activities such as password hacking, software piracy or bitcoin/crypto mining ______________________________________________
Mod response after repeat harassment of above forum user:
"I'll make this simple. They linked you to technical support. That's all we can do. If you don't want to follow the forum rules you agreed to when you made an account, then that is your choice, but you were warned by them, now you've been warned by me. There are plenty of online retailers that sell aftermarket coolers. A simple Google search or amazon search will yield numerous results. That's as much help as anyone here can provide. With that, I'm closing this flame thread, as we do not support 'mining, bitcoining, or other questionable activities'.
The next time I see something like this from you, 6strings, I will be forced to take real action."
Threatening me?
Now to PMs.
Me: Please tell me what rule I broke.
I wasn't asking about Bitcoin mining whatsoever.
I am asking about the fans on the cards I have, and what aftermarket coolers users may be using.
Is this against the rules in anyway?
Mod:
ou clearly stated in your post what you were using them for. We clearly state in our rules we will not support bit mining in any way. You want new fans? You can either contract MSI for RMAs or find some after market coolers. As I stated, Google will produce some results, as will amazon.
Bit mining is a very questionable activity. Who knows where the money comes from, much less what the data or the cryptography is actually used for. It is well known for hiding money for both corrupt and terroristic purposes. While you may not be using it for this purpose, doesn't mean others don't. Which is why this forum follows this stance.
Me: I'm sorry you lack a proper understanding of Bitcoin. You are grossly misinformed I'm afraid. I suggest you do some research on the subject. Much has changed and the public perception is not clouded by false judgments anymore. It is widely accepted. Even major Tech retailers like Tigerdirect accept it and sell mining specific equipment. There are sites like Gyft.com where you can buy a gift card for just about any major retailer with bitcoin. Fully legit site supported by those retailers. Banning talk about Bitcoin is no different than banning talk about Paypal or Credit cards at this point in its evolution.
I'll be happy to steer you in the right direction. We're good honest hard working folks. There is no "nefarious hashing". Bitcoin itself is open source. See for yourself. Where these crazy notions came from I have no idea but they are completely false and misguided. Its quite sad really. A lot of bright people have missed the boat on something big because of this nonsense. Come visit our communities. bitcointalk.org a good place to start. Take a look around. Ask questions. Or pop into MCXNOW.com and have a chat with us. I'm there often and so are many other good people. We're building a new world here and everyone is invited to be part of it. No need to be so dismissive.
The majority of issues with crime and Bitcoin come from hackers or con-artists. This has nothing to do with the coin itself. Much like the early days of Ebay. Ebay wasn't scamming folks but criminals were using Ebay to do so. You see what I mean?
If I make a post asking for information on fans or aftermarket cooling solutions are you going to delete it? No mention of mining or bitcoin. Just straight up request for info.
Clearly that itself doesn't break any rules. I don't want tech support. I want info from MSI users. Surely MSI won't give me information on aftermarket cooling solutions for their products as that would void warranty and MSI itself will not help a user void their warranty. Even if I give up my warranty voluntarily they won't budge. I've been down that road already. Thus why I am here.
Mod:
I'm sorry that you can be so deluded. What you want to believe doesn't change the fact that it is still possible. If it's possible, people will do it. If you haven't figured that out in life, I'm sorry for you. Yes, some e-tailers may accept it, and the public view is slowly changing. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that you agreed to rules by joining the forum, and then berate users because they inform you of them. They are the rules and if you don't like them, you are welcome to post else where.
Lastly, you apparently still haven't gotten it, even after saying this multiple times. You can easily Google for coolers, or look on amazon. They exist.

--

Do we have any MSI reps on this forum? Someone should really take this bozo down a peg.

--

MSI probably don't like people using their GPU to mine 24/7,
cause too many of them are returned within the warranty period??

--

There are people who game all day using their cards. The cards should have a tolerance for more than average use.

--

I won't buy MSI products anymore, if they allow this kind of crap:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=flvd04o76cd19r5lh33kfprnv0&topic=169369

The rules don't apply if you talk trash about Bitcoin? But mentioning Bitcoin and coolers in the same post is a no? F* them.
Maybe BT should add a rule not to talk about MSI unless it is to trashtalk about them.

--

He's just jelly Smiley

--

Thats probably correct.
These bozos are just butthurt that they missed the boat on this.

--

Haha

Good work folks. I see the bitcoin threads popping up over there and promptly being deleted.

Keep at it.

--

[–]oregono 2 points 36 minutes ago

The depth of misunderstanding is oceanic:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=177099.0

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[–]gabet123 1 point 1 hour ago

OK so buy android and let market forces push apple out of the phone business. I am happy letting them corner the earbud market.

[–]luckytopher[S] 3 points 1 hour ago

If you think people will ditch apple and the things they DO like about it for bitcoin that currently is difficult and of no value to them... Well... Try again

[–]hithere1978 2 points 1 hour ago

I ditched them, I'm a people

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[–]lolstate -2 points 2 hours ago

It doesn't matter. Apple's PR hit is already considerable. I bet they will soon reinstate Blockchain and others. Cook will have to send out a mea culpa a la Jobs' DRM email.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

HELP (reward offered) (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by volcomchk143

I used bitcoin to make purchases on silkroad. now that its shut down, did i lose all my bitcoin? i dont know how i would access it being as i didnt have a bitcoin wallet? i had 4 bitcoin left over from a purchase (it was like $4/bitcoin at the time). any help would be greatly appreciated! reward if i can retrieve them!

[–]bit-architect 4 points 3 hours ago

What did you use to purchase?

If legal things, contact this guy.

forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/01/31/silk-road-vendor-filing-claim-for-seized-bitcoins-argues-he-sold-only-legal-items/

[–]volcomchk143[S] 1 point 3 hours ago

nope. but it wasnt earned bitcoin from selling. it was unused bitcoin, could have been used to purchase legal things... valid argument?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The Media & Bitcoin Community Respond to Apple
Posted on February 7, 2014

If you haven’t had a chance to catch up on the past 24 hours of news since Apple removed our app from its App Store, please read on! Our team has been diligently focused on the pouring-in of news, and monitoring the aftermath of Apple’s actions. Our blog (yes, this one!) has received over 52,000 views since our initial response to Apple was posted. We’re happy we’ve got your attention! The response from the Bitcoin community, and media has been overwhelming(ly awesome). Even if Apple never reverses its decision, it’s impossible to deny the magnificent outcry we’ve received from media and Bitcoiners.
In spite of this challenge, we are continuing to move forward. Our team maintains utmost confidence in our position as the world’s most popular Bitcoin website and wallet – on all platforms. In fact, we are in the process of implementing an HTML 5 version of our mobile wallet, that will work on any smartphone device.

If you are still an iPhone user, be aware the Blockchain App is still available through Cydia. Android users can visit the Google Play Store to download their version of the Blockchain app.

In response to our original statement, many people left us their thoughts, and here are a few we thought we’d share.

“Great article. Thanks Blockchain for making a stand. As insiders have known for years – After iPhone, Apple went into decline.” – Tea

“Great timing by Apple- The new Samsung S5 will be released on Feb 24. Goodbye Apple.” – Bob A

“Welcome, Apple. Seriously.

http://i.imgur.com/wkr3Dcx.jpg

#WelcomeAppleBTC” – chsa dos

“Apple is abusing its monopoly, plain and simple. They feel threatened by the new internet currency and are trying hard to nip it in the bud, like the way they tried to sue the rear end out of Android. Apple is the new M$. And you need to get your head out of Tim Cook’s butt.” – Nikki

“Now everybody can see the true nature of Apple as a arrogant, narcistic and childish company full of egoistic, money-groping ‘managers’. I surely don’t regret I never bought Apple product, not in the past, not now and not in the future… they’re overhyped and overpriced….” – Porto

We decided to compile all the news and media coverage we could find, so all you have to do is click the links below (which are in no particular order). Click here to read our original response to Apple.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Some ideas on publicizing/confronting the Apple "debacle". (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago by browsing_in_jail

Did you see the post about an 11 year old doing her science project on bitcoin? That was using a macbook pro and the bitcoins were used to purchase an ipad air case. Now she and her family can't update and are pretty much cut off/hindered in using their apple products for bitcoin purchasing :(. Journalism opportunity ding ding ding! Link to pics: http://imgur.com/a/YTyle

I'd shy away from destroying apple products, reminds me too much of people pouring wine in the gutter when France didn't like us invading Iraq for some reason. It's too easy to ridicule, we can do better.

We still haven't heard officially from Apple on any explanation. Pushing the issue will obviously be our priority, so think of ideas or examples that exemplify why this is a bad decision on their part (see #1) and get it into the hands of journalists/bloggers. Being pissed off and destroying Apple products sounds awesome to me (I'm notorious for disliking them), but not enough. They need to be SHAMED for thinking of their bottom line above their customer base. I'd love to hear some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i doubt much will come of the mt. gox stuff. and even if gox does die, it's probably not the end of bitcoins

i sure hope it isn't because the bitcoiners get funnier every day

• Locked thread