Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

the literal inventor of the format said it was "jiff"

jfc it was even a final jeopardy question a few weeks ago

isaac asimov coined the term robot and pronounced it like dr. zoidberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

regardless he pronounced robot robutt so we shouldn't really give a gently caress what the guy that made gif said. it's like jigga watts in bttf

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

prefect posted:

i do enjoy the way zoidberg says robot

i tend to say it that way as well just like i pronounce spiderman, batman, etc like they're jewish last names. this doesn't at all mean that it's the proper way to do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shifty Pony posted:

experimental outline:

title: crypto-stupidity exploration

purpose: to determine if bitcoin's detractors are exaggerating the propensity of bitcoiners to get scammed

hypothosis: if exposed to an obvious scam, bitcoiners will still fall for it

procedure: create blatant ponzi scheme where returns are clearly being paid out of latest "investor". wait.

measurements: received in excess of $130k worth of "investments" in less than four days.

conclusions: hypothesis confirmed. bitcoiners are indeed that loving stupid.

hahahhahahahahaha

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Robawesome posted:

o-m-g

Just had a terrible experience with a localbitcoins transaction. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by im-a-fat-loser

I have 7 bitcoins to my name and decided to sell them this week because I needed money for rent and food and I just don't see bitcoin go up in price any time soon. I figured I'd dump them all on localbitcoins and I'd be financially ok for half a year or so.

Anyway, I got in touch via skype with a guy that wanted to buy all 7 of my bitcoins for $700/each. It was a little lower than I wanted but I desperately needed the money so I agreed. We met in the local walmart parking lot late last night and I asked him to show me the money first. He did, he had all $4900. Actually he had $5000 and was "tipping" me the extra $100. I transferred the 7 bitcoins to his wallet and once the transaction was confirmed he suddenly pulled a huge knife on me. It was like 7 inches long. I couldn't run anywhere because I was half in my car with the door open and he was standing in the door way. He ordered me to hand back over the $5000. I hesitated but he started getting a bit aggressive so I had to hand it over as I was afraid for my life.

He ran to his car and took off and as I tried to get his plate, noticed he didn't actually have any plates on his car. I should have loving noticed this before I did the transaction but I didn't. Maybe it was because it was dark out. I quickly drove to the police station and filed a report but I'm doubting they'll get my money back now. Sometimes I wish bitcoin did support chargebacks because I wouldn't be out $5000 right now.

I'm so angry with myself and my wife is mad at me because we're out the $5000. I don't know what I'm going to do. Such a lovely experience.

:lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

they tried but there really wasn't any interest

:lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

im surprised it took this long for the police to kick them out. they have very orderly and structured protests in japan and you absolutely cannot just park on a corner with picket signs without authorization.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

snype

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boxturret posted:

people have literally said doing a folding@home thing with the bitcoin network would be bad because when they cure cancer there would be less reason to use it so the strength of the network would drop

no its bad because it incentives people to fake work for rewards.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

harold ramis died from not eating his veggies and im pretty upset broccoli has claimed another victim.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

we're talking a bit about bitcoin in my contracts class and how hosed bfl is from the lawsuits against them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

georgia coffee in japan was the poo poo. the running rumor was that there was a bit of nicotine in it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

transfatphobic posted:

has there been a confirmed bitcoin suicide yet

there wasn't a transaction fee so it got ignored.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bitcoin snype

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

another sniep

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

spoke with my prof that brought up bitcoin again. he summed up bitcoin in a very succinct way: it solves a problem that only criminals, speculators, and anti-government have and serves very little other purpose. he's just a big math nerd and is actually pretty noted in the computer science world, so it comes as no surprise that he's kept up with it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

snype

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sniep posted:

so does anyone have any idea out of the bit block chain or whatever how much estimated real money was paid in and got paid out of mtg ox?

at the moment, no, but it seems possible at this point that the theft was internal and the transaction malleability was just a convenient excuse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonad posted:

OK, i think the thing i don't understand is how karpeles is able to buy mtbucks for so cheap, then move them and sell them as 'real' butts on another exchange

by buying up the goxbutts he reduces the number of people that he actually has to pay out. he can continue selling goxbux on gox and use goxcash and other transaction fees they've collected over the years to purchase actual butts to pay out to the people he couldn't buy out of the goxbux. every goxbux he buys (for pennies on the dollar) is one less of the 750,000 that he's on the hook for.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the problem with just buying up all the goxbux to cover his rear end is that even at deflated goxpricing he's looking at 75-150 million dollars.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

buttsnipe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

another buttsnype

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nooooooo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ill take another snipe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

im addicted to sniping

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah, that's pretty funny

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FMguru posted:

yep. volume is pretty much non-existent, so the only ones left are either libertarian true-believers or people who got a stash of coins (early adopters or left-holding-the-bag suckers), and they both have nothing else to do with their butts other than sit on them and hope they become valuable and liquid at some indeterminate future date

the ability to turn butts into actualmoney appears to have dried up completely

but mlr said localbitcoins can be used to quickly and easily cash out!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

speaking of bitcoin stymie, he hasn't posted anywhere since feb 24th. :ohdear:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

im worried that his post about those 600 goxcoins was legit and he might have harmed himself. i don't wish suicide on anyone, even a stymie.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Citizen Tayne posted:

He dead. RIP.

:smith: rip bitcoin stymie. you definitely weren't the best poster i knew to kill himself, but still, sad to see someone blow their brains out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

also, life liberty and the pursuit of happiness aren't anywhere in the constitution. that's from the declaration of independence.

also a lot of people seemed to have missed out on the purestrain genius of TT

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

most lifetime government contractors i knew when i was in the military were staunch libertarians and mostly anti-government.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the awesome thing is there is absolutely no way a paranoid libertarian didn't just delete every loving thing he had relating to bitcoin the moment someone mentioned the cia. satoshi's wallet, lost forever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

there's no way he didn't delete his wallets the second the cia was mentioned

this is 100% the correct answer. i've worked with tons of satoshis. idiot libertarian government employees/contractors. they are some of the most paranoid, racist dicks out there. they have an extreme fear of their employer in an odd way. any of the ones with any actual intelligence (like satoshi) immediately scramble to get rid of anything they have that might be remotely illegal when they sense the slightest bit of heat. he was obviously already very concerned with what the shitheels of early bitcoin had done and how they were portrayed. he already didn't know if it was legal. then suddenly one of the guys you even talk to is going to the cia to chat? he loving scorched earth everything he ever had related to bitcoin and staunchly will forever deny any involvement.

think of satoshi as dale gribble.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BeOSPOS posted:

so, satoshi worked for defense contractors for years doing some secret project poo poo, and even worked for a financial company at one point. he's been unemployed off and on since 2001, so he's more than likely getting some gov benefits. what a fine upstanding libertarian he is!

most libertarians do live off the dole.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BeOSPOS posted:

that's really interesting, tbh. maybe it's one of those impotence things where a person lashes out at their perceived weakness but without, you know, actually doing something about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

satoshi is dale gribble plus trains. he even legally put rusty shackleford in his name.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i do still feel bad about mlr killing himself. it was sad to watch his descent into madness. it started with rage about how he missed out, then trolling as bitcoin stymie, then starting to believe his poo poo to losing all his goxbutts. truly a tragic character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

surebet posted:

what... how? failed gas heist?

looks like they got away with it.

• Locked thread