Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

The_Other posted:

So John Allison has been releasing a Conan the Barbarian comic on his website. Here are the final two pages of the first "issue".

I can't tell if that's satire or a straight adaptation

it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

I can't tell if that's satire or a straight adaptation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKOQWbTdxy8

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dandadan consistently putting out the absolute hardest 2 page action spreads in manga.

Every single one of these characters is just some no-name mook

Dandadan - Chapter 147

:allears:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
That's just fantastic, especially the rocker dude with the witches hat on the left.

e: is Dandadan as insane as the premise and all artwork I randomly googled suggests? If so , I might just have to read it.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 9, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elissimpark posted:

e: is Dandadan as insane as the premise and all artwork I randomly googled suggests? If so , I might just have to read it.

Impossibly it's even more so.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is this the show netflix was hyping for releasing in october?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I can assure you that Dandadan is 100% worth your time.

Please please please read Dandadan if you like weird manga with amazing fight scenes.

When I say it has consistently the best 2 page spreads in manga atm, I am being completely serious.
Berserk levels of detail.

Dandadan - Chapters 111-113

Azubah posted:

Is this the show netflix was hyping for releasing in october?

That's the one. It's being done by Science Saru, so the production quality should be pretty high - which is needed with how good the artwork is in the manga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XJxfbN36Uw

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dandadan reminds me a lot of Dr McNinja sometimes in that it is completely unhinged but very internally consistent in following its madcap premises to their logical/insane conclusions.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
From S-Class Hunter Doesn't Want to Be a Villainous Princess

Context: the boss dragon of this world where the hero is trapped just got one-punched.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't speak for others but Dandadan was hard for me to get into because the first chapter is focused almost exclusively around the teenage female lead getting stripped to her underwear and repeatedly threatened with rape. I have heard it gets better but getting past that initial part was hard for me and I feel like it's worth warning about.

(Sorry not like trying to be a downer about the series, that just caught me off guard when I went to read it and it was an unpleasant experience so trying to make a clear warning.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 10, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I can't speak for others but Dandadan was hard for me to get into because the first chapter is focused almost exclusively around the teenage female lead getting stripped to her underwear and repeatedly threatened with rape. I have heard it gets better but getting past that initial part was hard for me and I feel like it's worth warning about.

(Sorry not like trying to be a downer about the series, that just caught me off guard when I went to read it and it was an unpleasant experience so trying to make a clear warning.)

No, that's fair and completely understandable as a turn off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it is a hard rear end sell and I really hope that the anime tries to uh... trim that down to make it less of a "um what i ain't watching this" moment

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The trailers I've seen clearly indicate it will be there, but hopefully less skeevy. It at least has grounding in actual UFO lore, which includes a lot of horny poo poo and sublimated sexual anxieties, as these sorts of social phenomena tend to do. The manga author has done a lot of research and there are a lot of deep pulls from UFOlogy, but one can't get over the impression that he decided to lead with this particular angle for obvious audience-pandering reasons. It does get much better after that, but I can't fault anyone for tapping out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It does get much better after that, but I can't fault anyone for tapping out.
^

As reference, the scene in question happens in the first chapter. There's no actual assault or anything like that, but there are definitely a few full on scenes.

Nothing to that degree happens again, and it's isolated to the first chapter

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There are some PANELS from this week’s Transformer’s book. If no one else shares some, I might in a few days when it’s less in spoiler country.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
resurrection of magneto 4

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
This week's Transformer's #7

Context: Starscream has been a real bastard in this series. Killing people, Autobots and Decepticons. He's cannibalized 'Cons to rebuild others. In a recent issue he attacked Ravage. Cue this scene.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm sad DWJ isn't doing the art but the new guy is great too so it works out. Badass scene for sure, always loved Soundwave.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm sad DWJ isn't doing the art but the new guy is great too so it works out. Badass scene for sure, always loved Soundwave.

Yeah the new artist is a good replacement.

That bot has always been my favorite and always will be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fair, you dont kick a dudes dog.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ravage is a panther, but you also don't kick a dude's cat

(tbh when I was 6 I was never sure if he was a panther or a big dog)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Neither were some of the artists, but they seem to have settled on "big cat" at this point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yea sorry this was on my brain the whole time for some reason

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phy posted:

Ravage is a panther, but you also don't kick a dude's cat

(tbh when I was 6 I was never sure if he was a panther or a big dog)

(Jaguar.)

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Joe Fisto posted:

This week's Transformer's #7

Context: Starscream has been a real bastard in this series. Killing people, Autobots and Decepticons. He's cannibalized 'Cons to rebuild others. In a recent issue he attacked Ravage. Cue this scene.

I got really worried when I saw the cover

But I was very happy with how that ended because Soundwave is the bestest

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

New TF is pretty great and a little horrifying at how casually the everyone are salvaging the dead for spare parts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Azubah posted:

New TF is pretty great and a little horrifying at how casually the everyone are salvaging the dead for spare parts.

It very much gets across the idea of a war that's been running for millions of years that everyone will do whatever they have to to survive and win.

Also it has Cliffjumper flipping Starscream the bird in one panel.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

site posted:

resurrection of magneto 4

I am very much into - explaining weird fictional science with an almost autistic attention to detail -

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nobody calls Soundwave uncrasamatic!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I am very much into - explaining weird fictional science with an almost autistic attention to detail -

You'd probably like the later arcs of Hunter X Hunter

Just absolute page after page word salad on how powers interact and operate.
Latest arc is effectively a murder mystery on a city sized boat.

Be forewarned that it stops at chapter 400 due to the authors health issues, and it's pretty much been in hiatus hell for half a decade now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

An interesting precedent to set that mutant "power" is faster than light. Not even fast, but truly instant. If it does not need to propogate could Storm trigger thunder on a planet galaxies away?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lobok posted:

An interesting precedent to set that mutant "power" is faster than light. Not even fast, but truly instant. If it does not need to propogate could Storm trigger thunder on a planet galaxies away?

no that's new, and probably only Magneto and only this book

of course all the teleporters are faster than light, and one of the speedsters can go relativistic afaik

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's probably not all that new now that I think about. Surely there are instances of telepathic mutants communicating with people at astronomical distances that appears to ignore the limitations that transmission waves would normally adhere to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

It's probably not all that new now that I think about. Surely there are instances of telepathic mutants communicating with people at astronomical distances that appears to ignore the limitations that transmission waves would normally adhere to.

First issue of House of X has Xavier talking to everyone on the planet simultaneously. There's definitely been psychic communication between Krakoa and Arrako that didn't have whatever delay there is between something traveling from Earth to Mars there would be at the speed of light.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Apparently Xavier's daughter's brainwaves travel far enough to be stored in Cerebro and she's in Shi'ar space.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
THere is a mutant who can teleport across galaxies, but ONLY vast distances, she can't teleport short distances.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gologle posted:

THere is a mutant who can teleport across galaxies, but ONLY vast distances, she can't teleport short distances.

Couldn't she just do a roundtrip? If you want to visit your neighbor just make a detour over to the Andromeda galaxy.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Gologle posted:

“See this week’s issue of Ms Marvel for some Lila Cheney action! - Smilin Joe”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Couldn't she just do a roundtrip? If you want to visit your neighbor just make a detour over to the Andromeda galaxy.
That's literally what she does. Fortunately, she found some kind of giant dyson sphere! I'm not sure if she somehow got manipulated into teleporting there and remembered where it was, or if she just held her breath previously.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Nessus posted:

That's literally what she does. Fortunately, she found some kind of giant dyson sphere! I'm not sure if she somehow got manipulated into teleporting there and remembered where it was, or if she just held her breath previously.

I think the most Claremont ever explained re: that was that she was taken there against her will once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

First issue of House of X has Xavier talking to everyone on the planet simultaneously. There's definitely been psychic communication between Krakoa and Arrako that didn't have whatever delay there is between something traveling from Earth to Mars there would be at the speed of light.

They actually explained this. With the help of Forge, they made a psychic relay between Earth and Mars using clones of Xavier's brain.Wouldn't surprise me at all if they made something similar using the Krakoan gates and Shiar space.