Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

root of all eval posted:

I've also never known of businesses treating debit as a cash transaction for pricing perks or transaction fees. I assume they are paying network fees regardless?

Debit card bonuses would be more of a thing except Congress slashed how much issuers can charge for debit transactions, which means no budget for making debit use sexy. I have also noticed stores/restaurants adding an upcharge for credit and debit alike, even if debit should result in a much lower merchant fee.

Recent threats of legislation over credit card merchant fees have convinced Visa and MasterCard to agree to limit their merchant fees, which will likely have a chilling effect on the world of card points. We shall see!

On the fraud topic: I've had to call (Chase and Alliant) fraud departments before over bad charges on credit cards and they were wiped out instantly. A friend had something similar happen on their Fidelity debit card and it was solved pretty quickly. Don't know if all debit carriers can say the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Debit card bonuses would be more of a thing except Congress slashed how much issuers can charge for debit transactions, which means no budget for making debit use sexy. I have also noticed stores/restaurants adding an upcharge for credit and debit alike, even if debit should result in a much lower merchant fee.

Recent threats of legislation over credit card merchant fees have convinced Visa and MasterCard to agree to limit their merchant fees, which will likely have a chilling effect on the world of card points. We shall see!

On the fraud topic: I've had to call (Chase and Alliant) fraud departments before over bad charges on credit cards and they were wiped out instantly. A friend had something similar happen on their Fidelity debit card and it was solved pretty quickly. Don't know if all debit carriers can say the same.
Generally speaking, most debit card issues are resolved fairly quickly. I just don't feel the need to risk it, especially when the rewards for using a credit card are so much better.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think that calling your bank to report fraud on your checking account can result in your checking account being frozen which might affect your ability to receive direct deposits from your work if the timing is bad and leading up to not being able to pay bills if you didn't have a backup bank account. Having your credit card frozen while fraud if being investigated is just meh, change the billing credit card number to a different one and you're on your way.

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.
My credit score took a 150+ point dive in just one month. Why? I don't know! My credit union provides a free TransUnion score every month, and when I checked it today, my formerly 800+ score from last month dropped to around 650 this month. There's no change in my credit history or payment history. I pay my credit card bill on time and in full every month, and I barely even hit 3% of my available credit limit. I checked my credit reports and do not see any signs of fraud. My credit reports are frozen and have been frozen since the Equifax breach in 2017. I hope this is a random fluke that fixes itself. Could there be any other reason to explain the drop?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Do you have an old credit card or form of debt that would have been deleted or no longer counted toward your credit score?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You get one free credit report per year, I'd do that and get the full download, vs just a summary like you get with the free service

800 -> 650 is a pretty drastic drop, yeah maybe you had a really old credit card you closed and it finally dropped off your report after 7 years, shrinking your oldest credit card thing way down

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

Space Fish posted:

Do you have an old credit card or form of debt that would have been deleted or no longer counted toward your credit score?
Not to my knowledge. I only have one credit card, and the account has been open since 1999. I compared my most-recent credit report from today to one I obtained in March, and there's no change in the number of current and closed (in good standing) accounts listed. I get my credit reports from AnnualCreditReport.com as well.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Something weird definitely happened, you gotta pull your report and dispute whatever it is...

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

Baddog posted:

Something weird definitely happened, you gotta pull your report and dispute whatever it is...
The only thing that might be questionable is that I disputed a charge on my credit card. My credit report says "Account in dispute under Fair Credit Reporting Act." I did indeed dispute a charge and received a credit. But that wouldn't cause such a substantial drop, would it?

EDIT: My Experian credit report does not show any payment history/balance/account status for the credit card, whereas my credit reports from TransUnion and Equifax do show that information for the account. All three credit reports mention the account is in dispute.

Ultramega OK fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 1, 2024

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hadlock posted:

You get one free credit report per year, I'd do that and get the full download, vs just a summary like you get with the free service

FYI for people who recommend AnnualCreditReport.com -- people can now get a free credit report every week instead of once a year. It was originally a temporary expansion that all three credit bureaus agreed to expand to weekly. Rampant fraud!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Space Fish posted:

FYI for people who recommend AnnualCreditReport.com -- people can now get a free credit report every week instead of once a year. It was originally a temporary expansion that all three credit bureaus agreed to expand to weekly. Rampant fraud!

If not at the annual website, then where can you get the weekly one

Why do you say rampant fraud

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Space Fish posted:

wtf, really? i had no idea

FTC site still says this
"Also, everyone in the U.S. can get six free credit reports per year from Equifax through 2026 by visiting AnnualCreditReport.com. That’s in addition to the one free Equifax report (plus your Experian and TransUnion reports) that you can get annually at AnnualCreditReport.com."
https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/free-credit-reports

edit: ok yeah here's the update https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2023/10/you-now-have-permanent-access-free-weekly-credit-reports

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hadlock posted:

Why do you say rampant fraud

Speculation that there have been so many data breaches and more online vectors for fraud than ever, to the point that weekly credit checks may as well be a thing. The checking is fine, of course!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The Experian website will offer you a one-week trial every single week if you visit it on a desktop. You just log in and it'll ask if you want a trial, say yes and then you can immediately cancel right away. For one week you'll get both your credit report and FICO scores across all 3 credit reporting agencies updated daily. After the trial ends you just log on via a desktop again and it offers you another trial. I've been doing this for months now and paid $0.

It gives you a bunch of different FICO scores, not just FICO8.

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I think the issue may be resolved. My credit union reports my TransUnion score is back up to its old 800+ score. My Equifax score hasn't updated yet, but I'll give it a month to update. Experian was a pain in the rear end! They just don't want you to talk to a human being for help! It took a lot of persistence but I was able to talk to someone on the phone. Whatever the discrepancy was seems to be fixed. Let's see what happens over the next month.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Huh, cool, good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Since my credit is frozen I just check it once a year. Maybe that is dumb but has worked ok for the last 5 years.