Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Likewise, I always end up using living pods in my forts

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

krispykremessuck posted:

Well, now my weremammoth colony is haunted. I’m trying to drain the caverns into the magma layer to see what happens.
Two possibilities depending on how it is done.

Possibility 1: You create a layer of obsidian on the top layer of the magma sea. You can then mine this out and use it to reach close to the bottom. This is an excellent method to get as much out of your adamantine and stuff spire as possible.

Possibility 2: The floor tile of the Z level you are dumping water into is semi-molten rock. No obsidian is formed as it immediately gets destroyed by the semi-molten rock floor, the magma is refilled from the edge of the map. The water is removed. Dwarves are sad and/or flash boiled by steam. Later a fire imp sneaks in and shoots a dwarf with a fireball and sets him on fire, and he goes to take a nap due to the injury. The doctor that diagnoses him then catches fire and goes for a drink setting the food stockpile or tavern on fire. Dwarves start complaining about the smoke and having tantrums. The goblins arrive, see the smoke coming out the entrance as a flaming dwarf emerges to cut down a tree, and they slowly back away, not wanting to deal with this level of dwarf stupidity.

ChickenWing posted:

Sounds painfully close to my last fortress, where I think I lost more dwarves to aquifer-related drownings than to any other cause of death

those light aquifers really catch up with you fast
People keep forgetting that the aquifer is the entire Z level, not just the walls of it. You need to destroy the floor as well to stop it dripping water downwards. The walls leak out into the same Z level, the floors leak into any open space on the Z level below.

Paying attention to this is the key to a nice dry fort without trees growing in your main corridors and dwarves drowning when they go into the cellar for a plump helmet roast. It is also an excellent way to create endless reservoirs for wells and irrigation for underground farming (Or, with a few pumps, irrigating the stony surface to grow surface crops, I generally prefer those myself).

As for my own experiences, I am really annoyed that entering any building on a necromancer site and then leaving crashes the game. I just want the secrets of life and death. Is that really too much to ask?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Possibility 3 (what happened): I flooded the magma sea and was loving about in those z levels. I ran up against the semi-molten rock layer and was sorting out ways to deal with that when one of my idiot dwarves tapped an adamantine vein which triggered HFS time.

The fort was overrun by demons pretty quickly, but: due to great transformation timing the weremammoths managed to kill a bunch of the demons before finally being eliminated completely by a dimetrodon demon that was rampaging around outside of the fort for a while.

The fort is also haunted.

I could have locked it out, but comically I had forgotten to link my gate to a lever.

The fort was abandoned to ruin in year 506. Rip Enjoyedlabors, I’ll see you in adventure mode.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

krispykremessuck posted:

Possibility 3 (what happened): I flooded the magma sea and was loving about in those z levels. I ran up against the semi-molten rock layer and was sorting out ways to deal with that when one of my idiot dwarves tapped an adamantine vein which triggered HFS time.

The fort was overrun by demons pretty quickly, but: due to great transformation timing the weremammoths managed to kill a bunch of the demons before finally being eliminated completely by a dimetrodon demon that was rampaging around outside of the fort for a while.

The fort is also haunted.

I could have locked it out, but comically I had forgotten to link my gate to a lever.

The fort was abandoned to ruin in year 506. Rip Enjoyedlabors, I’ll see you in adventure mode.

A successful fort if ever there was one.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I know it's technically cheating but drat does DFhack's fastdwarves really let you try to salvage a base where the fps is dipping low. Would be cool if they added a version that automatically disables when combat happens

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Idk if this'll be true on all computers, but on my computer at least, 200 dwarves + an appropriate amount of livestock isn't really enough to make the game unbearable. Whenever it dips too low, it's always because there's a fire somewhere, or because there's 500 cavern invaders I didn't know about because I walled the cavern off. The 'exterminate' tool is super useful, even if I don't plan to actually kill anything with it, because it just lists all the entities on the map, including ones hidden in fog of war.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 30, 2024

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

FutonForensic posted:

lol same

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At one point someone suggested using a dormitory despite the negative thought it produces, and it seems to work fairly well for me. The theory is that you can overpower the thought by having a really nice dormitory, far nicer than you'd be able to make every bedroom. Plus, it gives the dwarves more opportunities to bump into their friends and family because there's one room every single dwarf will return to regularly. I haven't exactly done precise mathematical tests, but it isn't really causing mood problems, at least, while being much cheaper and easier to set up.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

cheetah7071 posted:

Idk if this'll be true on all computers, but on my computer at least, 200 dwarves + an appropriate amount of livestock isn't really enough to make the game unbearable. Whenever it dips too low, it's always because there's a fire somewhere, or because there'd 500 cavern invaders I didn't know about because I walled the cavern off. The 'exterminate' tool is super useful, even if I don't plan to actually kill anything with it, because it just lists all the entities on the map, including ones hidden in fog of war.

That's usually the case for me, though sometimes there's just enough going on that I'm stuck at 40-50fps and it sucks.

Though my primary use has been when the gems inside of an obsidian pillar caught fire and murdered my fps. Was useful to fastdwarves and have them put the fires out by dumping a cavern lake on it

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

At one point someone suggested using a dormitory despite the negative thought it produces, and it seems to work fairly well for me. The theory is that you can overpower the thought by having a really nice dormitory, far nicer than you'd be able to make every bedroom. Plus, it gives the dwarves more opportunities to bump into their friends and family because there's one room every single dwarf will return to regularly. I haven't exactly done precise mathematical tests, but it isn't really causing mood problems, at least, while being much cheaper and easier to set up.

Communal dormitories also help out with Vampire issues! No more having the buggers sneak into a secluded bedroom to feed anonymously, now the only place they can strike at a sleeping Dwarf is almost certainly going to be crawling with witnesses.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Communal dormitories also help out with Vampire issues! No more having the buggers sneak into a secluded bedroom to feed anonymously, now the only place they can strike at a sleeping Dwarf is almost certainly going to be crawling with witnesses.

Would they seek out nobles who have their own rooms or is it just random and they'd end up picking the dorms a lot?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Salynne posted:

Would they seek out nobles who have their own rooms or is it just random and they'd end up picking the dorms a lot?

I'm not actually sure, but worst case scenario you have a convenient way to dispose of excess nobles. The vampire could be performing a useful public service!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

I still have the keyboard shortcuts for quickly laying out this design in the ASCII version memorized lol, it's such a good design

(it is funny to me that the new UI is actually slower for many tasks than the old keyboard interface was once you learned it)

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I think setting up open rooms where each column of cabinet, bed, coffer is designated as its own bedroom zone still works. The dwarves will consider it a private bedroom despite the lack of walls around their stuff, eliminating the mood penalty for a barracks. Add an extra tile for an optional statue to make it 4 squares - a pretty decent size bedroom for a dwarf.

The main thing you're saving is time/space really. Mood buffs from things like having mist generator, having a decent clothing industry, etc tend to be enough for most dwarves, to the point that the benefit of a max value tier for a bedroom/dorm is pretty negligible outside of noble requirements - if a dwarf is freaking out at that point they've likely got psychological damage that forces them to a poor mood.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 2, 2024

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Mist generators make me paranoid about how much capacity they take up before FPS death hits. I read somewhere that it was quite significant, but I don't know the details.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently, the usual cause of FPS death in normal circumstance isn't any of the things people were speculating about. It was two things: destroyed/dead entities still being present in lists and requiring cycles to be skipped over, and line-of-sight calculations for every being to check whether it can see every other being. I think removing dead/destroyed entities was one of the first changes made when they hired another coder. I'm not aware that line of sight has been improved yet, but I haven't been keeping up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I set up a waterfall to pour down my main stairwell (with a floodgate to turn it on and off) with a termination in the caverns. It's feeding from a river but I scrunkled up the output channel to lower the flow rate, so I don't think I can feasibly flood out the caverns or anything. Seems to be keeping those little bastards happy.

I had like four of them abruptly become high nobility. That's a good sign, right? :ohdear:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nessus posted:

I had like four of them abruptly become high nobility. That's a good sign, right? :ohdear:

For you? No. For your fort? Also no. For the rest of your dwarf civilization? Again, no.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mzbundifund posted:

For you? No. For your fort? Also no. For the rest of your dwarf civilization? Again, no.
So who... is it good news for?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nessus posted:

those four dwarves

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nessus posted:

Drawbridge builders

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cheetah7071 posted:

Apparently, the usual cause of FPS death in normal circumstance isn't any of the things people were speculating about. It was two things: destroyed/dead entities still being present in lists and requiring cycles to be skipped over, and line-of-sight calculations for every being to check whether it can see every other being. I think removing dead/destroyed entities was one of the first changes made when they hired another coder. I'm not aware that line of sight has been improved yet, but I haven't been keeping up.

LOS code is hard to optimize. Water flow is definitely still an FPS issue though, as is temperature. But those things are the major contributors.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah a dragon attack can definitely halt the game just due to temperature calculations from the forest fire it spawns. Doing really complex liquid engineering will be noticeable too, probably. But a small waterfall (or even a large one, tbh) won't really make a noticeable difference in my experience.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Very seriously recommending GeForce Now for Dwarf Fortress again! I haven't experienced a single slowdown no matter how big the map is. It doesn't crash anymore often than on my PC, with the added insurance that none of my hardware is touched by Tarn code

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, these days it takes a significant amount of weird water stuff before you need to worry about FPS death. In my latest fort my waterfall mist generator emptying into the cavern layer cost me 10-20 fps. I changed it up to emptying through fortifications on the map edge and it went back to normal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

those four dwarves
Depends on how annoyed about their demands the genius loci of the fort is and how well that genius loci understands machinery that it could kill them with.

I am referring to the player.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

LOS code is hard to optimize. Water flow is definitely still an FPS issue though, as is temperature. But those things are the major contributors.
I feel like having the entity determine what tiles it can see, once, and then checking what's on the tiles is better than checking if it can see every individual entity in the active game area.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

drat. I used dfhack to fill in layers I strip mined and it got me a solid 20-30 fps back. Guess I'm doing that from now on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

I'm not actually sure, but worst case scenario you have a convenient way to dispose of excess nobles. The vampire could be performing a useful public service!

I name this new political philosophy sanguo-communism.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Sankis posted:

drat. I used dfhack to fill in layers I strip mined and it got me a solid 20-30 fps back. Guess I'm doing that from now on.

I think you can get most of the benefit by walling them off. The thing you want to avoid here is the pathfinding algorithm getting lost looking for a path through a massive void.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"Yeah I should make a tiny-fort with dorms instead of bedrooms and-" oh god I can't afford to get back into DF now. Send help! Send-

Nettles has been missing for a week.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's the least annoying way to dispose of an animal caught in a cage trap that I don't want to train?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Sell the cage?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

options

1 build the cage, build a lever, hook lever to cage. pull lever.

2 assign animal to be butchered.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Garbage dump above lava is a perennial favorite

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

disposing of animas that way means you should build the cage right next to the pit zone though, to prevent escapees. this also applies to other hostile things. having the cage next to the pit zone which is right next to the pit avoids such possible accidents and lets you put almost anything you can catch in a cage.

do not pit flying monsters this way.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 4, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sell the cage?

Pretty sure that only works for trained animals, otherwise you just release the animal and sell the cage

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Azhais posted:

Pretty sure that only works for trained animals, otherwise you just release the animal and sell the cage

Either the caravan guards handle it or you get free stuff! Problem soblem :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So there's no way to butcher without training first, or pit without constructing the cage (and then remembering to deconstruct it later to reclaim the cage)? That's annoying. I'll probably take down my cage traps once I have a breeding pair of Dralthas, then. I'm flooded with Elk Birds waiting to win the lottery on the real prize.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Training isn't that difficult, it just means ticking them in the animal screen and then waiting. Plus the more you do, the better your dwarves will get at it, until they want an animal-trainer hall, where they can spend their time teaching the rest of the fortress animal training! (I had this happen in a fort)

Elk birds are a pain to keep outside of cages and a pain to breed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I think you can pit without constructing the cage. You can do it safely by making a 9-tile room where the center tile is the open pit and the surrounding 8 tiles are an animal stockpile. designate the hole as a pit. Put a hatch cover on the pit, and make sure the cage with the target in it is actually in the correct stockpile before pitting. They key part is that if the dwarf can reach the pit from the cage without moving, the victim does not get a chance to resist/escape.

I have not yet done this in Steam DF, so if something goes wrong I take no responsibility.

(edit) Alternatively, as already suggested, you can just toss the entire cage with all it's contents into magma. It has less ways to screw up, and if you already have a magma trash disposal chute, doesn't require additional construction. It's also the reason why I don't have yet tested pitting animals in Steam DF.