Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"I can't think of any cons to reenacting one of the lowest points in WCW history" suggests someone without any imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Please try and find someone claiming this about, like, Rusev, Cesaro or Tozawa

Or Noam Dar

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol "Pro Wrestling is the most free market enterprise there is!" *doesn't realize what a profound detriment that statement is"

EDIT: Wait seriously though is there an attempt to say the current golden era of NJPW is somehow actually bad

There are definitely a group of people who do not like the current NJPW and a lot of it seems to be older western fans who long for 90s stuff they first discovered and especially dislike the current roster of foreigners. "Indy geeks" is often a phrase used and they especially hate Bullet Club.

Odds are they also have found memories of Pride FC, from what I've seen on Twitter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/srondina/status/1028233062117568512

Now that's a stupid wrestling fan opinion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Every boring snitch who @s Cornette every time something silly happens in wrestling should be fired into the sun.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NJPW under Gedo is actually the same as Monday Night Raw. Nevermind that Gedo's booking clearly owes far more to Memphis booking than Vince. Just need a concession stand brawl.

https://twitter.com/UhhHello/status/1049267023925075968?s=19

Inoki-ism Twitter is great.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProwresHero/status/1049341727197351937

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know Bob Sapp did a lot of fake fighting but I never knew he did pro wrestling

Bob Sapp was on a WCW developmental contract in 2001!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wow, can't believe Kenny built New Japan Pro Wrestling and now is destroying it. The ultimate heel

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/steve_carrier/status/1081264096409018375

A really smart guy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah, I hate that so many people seem to want the thing to be a rehabilitation centre for their favourite WWE midcarder.

I don't think it's about rehabilitation, there are some exceedingly talented midcarders in the WWE who would add to AEW. Claudo Castagnoli was one of the very best wrestlers around at one point and while he's a decade older now I think he has plenty to offer. Doesn't mean I think he should walk in day 1 and beat Omega or whatever, but there are wrestlers who aren't used well by the WWE who don't necessarily need rehabilitation because they can go.

Doesn't mean they should sign everyone who walks from the WWE, I wouldn't want to see Sheamus but there's value in a guy like Cesaro working with the greener talent in AEW, he can elevate them.

Edit: for some reason I thought I was in the AEW thread, sorry.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 9, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Web Jew.0 posted:

Reddit is a treasure.

Love to read history lessons written by people whose only source is WWE released DVDs like Death of WCCW.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I unironically enjoy the weekly game of dirtsheet telephone that gets played every time a new Observer is released. It's a lot of fun seeing how their headlines can completely skew the meaning of what he actually reported.

I went years as a wrestling fan who only knew Observer poo poo from hearsay and 2nd hand reporting because I'm tight and just didn't care enough about wrestling news to subscribe. And yet I managed to not get mad about Dave Meltzer despite that.

It just seems people get really mad at out of context Dave and it seems weird. Of course he gets things wrong sometimes, WWE booking changes at the last minute on the whims of a weird and out of touch old billionaire.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Is he really that bad? He seems just like a harmless guy with dumbish opinions. I feel people get way too meanspirited about him for some reason.

You've clearly never read his poetry

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I don't care much for the bucks or omega though there are a lot of omega matches that I like a lot but I really have to respect the fact that they have broken so many peoples brains.

this aew/aaa outrage lead me to this guys timeline and this tweet in particular

https://twitter.com/fxkdreaming/status/1107721567981789185

which is funny considering not even 24 hours ago chris charlton tweeted this

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1107466726428401664

now, Im not an accountant, but I dont think those profits during the 'Bob Sapp Era' (2002-2005) would be considered great financially. especially that big bar in 2004 that goes way into the negatives.

It's great how there are still people uncritical of the absurdly worked attendances and poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Orton vs all the AAA clowns in a gauntlet match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

What are the odds this fella has never actually seen a New Japan match?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm loving furious

Who wrote this? Shame on them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

My brain goes to the short lived punchsport pagoda, personally.

Ditto. PSP was a cool name.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Name the forum "we hate that weeaboo Shave Seltzer"

What is Shave Seltzer even from. I assume this thread somewhere

Think that was a TNAMecca creation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Jake Nazar is the dumbest person on wrestling Twitter and that's a very stiff competition.

I had never heard of this person and looked at his timeline and

https://twitter.com/jake_nazar/status/1128873358190436352

And this doesn't seem to be ironic? So you appear to be right. Also SHO vs Dragon Lee was a garbage match because SHO does a taunt and then sells his arm injury? I don't understand anything any more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Where on earth does the idea that NJPW has no storylines come from? Aside from a trash can full of bad posts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

karmicknight posted:

I love my New Japan/ROH wrestlers, Joey Janela, Kylie Rae, MJF, Nyla Rose, CIMA, Sammy Guevara, and Hikaru Shida.

That's a funny point I hadn't considered. WWE has far more ex-ROH wrestlers in their roster now than AEW.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/DudesVoice1314/status/1131163991873601536

I love Shingo but there's not much of his style which is particularly reminiscent of Masaktasu Funaki or Minoru Suzuki

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I am so violently split between wanting to listen to that to hear exactly how dumb his theory is and between just not hating myself that much.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Technically two middle aged men having a fight in a pub car park where they both get gassed and frightened circling each other is a real fight but that doesn't mean it's fun to watch.

Oh come on, that is pretty entertaining. Though it's better when their missus come along and start screaming "COME ON JOHN, HE'S NOT WORTH IT"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Why is this a constant argument between mostly white men who don't even think to bother consulting the people they're arguing about?

Ultimately the question that matters is "would the women's wrestlers like to wrestle on a Wrestle Kingdom & Dominion & a women's version of the G1/BOSJ?" and if they do then I'd like to see them given that chance. And considering several of them are willing to move to the US to take a chance appearing at a Wrestlemania or Double or Nothing I certainly imagine they'd welcome a chance to wrestle on a bigger stage to more fans with better payoffs but I can only guess because I don't speak to any women's wrestlers.

I get the argument is tedious and happens all too regularly and has no conclusion but I don't think it's a bad take in & of itself to say that New Japan should have a women's division. It's not necessarily good to just say nothing about it and give them a free pass because "oh, Joshi promotions exist". It's good they do but it's not exactly on the scale of All Japan Women.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/HiVisWhore/status/1138388770049404928

Big fan of Japanese wrestling wouldn't exist without headdrops takes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

Gotta say I didn't expect to see an "Impact is still the #2 promotion" take in 2019.

It's from the successor to the TNA Mecca so it's not that surprising.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

Yeah, I’d offer odds-on prices that the new WWE/BT deal ends up massively loving up their position in the UK.

It’s gonna be fun to go from “Big 4 PPV before 2025 speculation” to “nobody watches Raw in the UK any more because they don’t want to pay £33 per month just for wrestling.“

Not sure how true that is considering they were already paying that or more for Sky Sports.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The BBC news (used to?) put up the Premier League match scores up and warn people to look away if they don't want to know the scores. There's a highlights show every evening that some people try to watch unspoiled but that isn't as common since shows like Soccer Saturday started with live score updates.

At least once I remember them doing the "look away now" bit and the newscaster just accidentally read the scores out of habit or something.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Fake. No-one should watch Fale matches.

WRONG. I'm going to suffer through them live so everyone should watch Fale matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Someone real mad about NXT:

Note: This guy is a Lacey Evans superfan, and thinks she got shafted while in NXT. :v:

I'm definitely not just screaming into the ether that predictability isn't always a bad thing and often the predictable booking decision is also the right one to make. The Russo era of constant nonsensical swerves and more interest than surprises than it's making sense is a cancer on US wrestling fandom to this day.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, they have 442 ratings, of which more than half are a 7/10 or above. That's probably a greater percentage than I'd have (though that would include a lot of WWE dreck). I'd say they enjoy some wrestling.

Does anyone remember AJ Styles vs Brock Lesnar from Survivor Series 17? " a mix of perfect offence, perfect selling and perfect drama" apparently to this user. Anyway, 5 of his 8 10 ratings are for AJ Styles matches.

He also gave a Bryan Danielson vs Naomichi Marufuji match from 2008 1/10. Which is staggering. But the best part is this line from the review of that match: "Even Kazuchika Okada, who i consider to be the worst limb seller ever..."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Maybe people don't like watching the IIconics or Alexa wrestle because they loving suck in the ring. Just a hunch though.

It's so confusing that there are people who want to go back to the Divas era. I don't care how horny you are, you can go 3 hours without looking at underwear models and tugging at your willie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OctoberCountry posted:

I am also baffled that so many people like the Iconics

They've got charisma and are quite entertaining from the bits I've seen of them on UpUpDownDown and I'm sure a smart booker could find a role for them as an undercard act but yeah, none of that actually makes me want to watch them wrestle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I was unaware that the Big R's gravity extended so far beyond the doors of the wrestlehut

I'm not sure there's a wrestling forum that Rovert hasn't posted on. Certainly not one I've ever seen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

All i did was...try to convince people ken Kennedy was bad

Truly a man before your time. What the gently caress was so great about that dude except he said his name twice?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

People have been melting down about Dave tweeting that Memphis was widely mocked in wrestling, including this mark.

https://twitter.com/dirtydutchman1/status/1164594864035684352

Isn't the main reason that Memphis was mocked in wrestling because the payoffs were utter garbage unless your name is Lawler or Jarrett?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Was he any good as an actual wrestler? I got into wrestling like, a month before he had to hang up the boots, so I have no idea how he was to watch, only that I hated hearing him on commentary being creepy about... I think it was Mandy Rose?

He was very much average on his best day and mediocre on his normal day. Sterling James Keenan/Corey Graves was very much a forgettable wrestler.