Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
The fight ended better in the manga. Changing it to shooting his jetpack in and excising the core's face is not as dramatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I was just :allears: on the concept that model kits are still a thing in the distant space future and Sidonia apparently makes toys of their own robots and the assistant operator of the ship has procured them

This is a silly show, how can a show where people get injured and die horribly clinging to some awful half-busted space ghetto be so hilarious

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyra_Solune posted:

I was just :allears: on the concept that model kits are still a thing in the distant space future and Sidonia apparently makes toys of their own robots and the assistant operator of the ship has procured them

Zeon and the Federation actually did this too in Gundam, presumably as vehicle for propaganda like how we real world people have army man toys and GI Joe cartoons and stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyra_Solune posted:

This is a silly show, how can a show where people get injured and die horribly clinging to some awful half-busted space ghetto be so hilarious

A lot of shows do that, actually. Full Metal Panic did it with the Armslaves, and so did the Patlabor TV series.

And I am really fighting the urge to pick up Kotobukiya's Tsugumori Animation Ver. for myself. :shepspends:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Holy poo poo this episode. :asoiaf:
This episode alone redeemed the adaptation if it needed any redeeming. Really gave weight to certain situations way better than the manga did.

edit: Didn't realize the jetpack was a change, even though it felt strange. Yeah, I wonder their reasoning for changing that.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 6, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Episode four of the first season was when things really got going, so this bodes well for season two.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Nihei starting to make it (semi) big gives me a glimmer of hope that some day we'll see an anime of Q Hayashida's stuff.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Sad Mammal posted:

Nihei starting to make it (semi) big gives me a glimmer of hope that some day we'll see an anime of Q Hayashida's stuff.

Would watch the poo poo out of Caiman eating gyoza.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
It's pretty great that literally being brain hijacked by a mad scientist responsible for travesty onboard Sidonia and spoken of in terms that outclass our own of a potential Osama Hitler bin Ebola has made Kunato into overall a much cooler and nicer guy to hang out with

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is is just me, or have the expressions stepped up a notch in S2?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Is is just me, or have the expressions stepped up a notch in S2?
Their weird 3D style actually makes those really unsettling...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

It's pretty great that literally being brain hijacked by a mad scientist responsible for travesty onboard Sidonia and spoken of in terms that outclass our own of a potential Osama Hitler bin Ebola has made Kunato into overall a much cooler and nicer guy to hang out with

I was actually thinking that myself.
In fact, the whole situation just seems... better.

The council of immortal morons has been eliminated so the captain can rule as a shadowy eternal dictator... but she's historically done a really good job and they were useless fools anyway.
There's an ancient and ostensibly evil scientist who's started possessing people with mind worms... but he's actually a pretty decent guy, and has significantly improved Kunato's attitude.
They've created a monster using Science Man Was Not Meant To Know... but she's totally up for this whole "protect humanity" gig, and loves kittens.

I'm particularly impressed that they haven't gone with the really trite route of "Oh, now we have created this powerful Chimera to defend humanity... But she's terribly dangerous, so let's keep her in total isolation and treat her like garbage; that'll make her kindly disposed towards humans!"
I mean, sure, they aren't letting her wander the residential area, but I don't think that's unreasonable - she nearly caused an earthquake by accident in that auditorium. It would be far too easy for a disaster to happen without any ill-will on Tsumugi's part. But they are letting her have visitors.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OK, so that was pretty cool. Is there any word on whether there will be a season 3?

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Hungryjack posted:

OK, so that was pretty cool. Is there any word on whether there will be a season 3?

Purely speculating here:
The ending montage with images from the first season seemed like rather a send-off, and the end of Season 1 had an actual ad for Season 2 at the end, so normally I'd say the chances are pretty low. However, Netflix is an extremely rock solid North American partner to have (and this is the first anime Netflix has been the exclusive North American distributor for), so that definitely increases the odds.

My guess is Netflix will see how Season 2 does (it gets released on Friday in English) before deciding whether or not to greenlight it. Also, a Season 3 would bring it almost up to where the manga is, so it makes some sense to wait a bit. As it is, they've covered roughly 2 years worth of manga per season.

All that being said, a Season 3 certainly makes financial sense, so, probably?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
In other words go on netflix and marathon the show over and over again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

S2 just hit Netflix.

Guess I know what I am marathoning this weekend :toot:

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I'm on season 2 of this show, 3 eps in and every episode has surprised me pleasantly thus far.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I just started watching this yesterday (though I've read the manga already), and I just wanted to say that Samari is my favorite character. I didn't think much of her in the manga but she's a badass. The point that made me post was someone being like oh man "Tanikaze and the hybrid are a perfect pair" and she's like "Hmm? Yeah, sure, I guess." Doesn't give an f about his harem.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
i really love this show despite the animation. i just wish there were more seasons!!! somehow i'm at 9 of 12 of season 2 already.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The animation can be a bit iffy at times but overall I think it worked pretty well, especially for the space battles.

What really stood out for me was the incredible sound design. It's just so drat loud it adds a feeling of weight and substance to everything from frantic battles to a simple flyby of Sidonia. If you haven't watched this show with a nice set of headphones and the volume cranked up to "permanent hearing loss" you are missing out.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Really, the animation quality has increased significantly from the earlier episodes, to the point that its only really noticeable anymore in a couple isolated scenes.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
This show is better when it is about space battles and not real estate transactions on board a spaceship. Or the sleeping arrangements as it realates to a dolphin's penis.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
so the person in kunato's body is ochiiai right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hoodrich posted:

so the person in kunato's body is ochiiai right?

Yup. Also, I think, in the body of the MIB who hangs out with the captain.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Darth Walrus posted:

Yup. Also, I think, in the body of the MIB who hangs out with the captain.

The captain's henchman is a clone of Ochiai that they made after they killed the original and found out that all his research notes were locked with his brain pattern or something. He's Ochiai's body without the evil megalomaniacal personality. Meanwhile the personality is running around taking over people's bodies with those brain worm things.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Avulsion posted:

Meanwhile the personality is running around taking over people's bodies with those brain worm things.

And he's so much more useful than Kunato ever was! :d:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The_White_Crane posted:

And he's so much more useful than Kunato ever was! :d:

To be fair, he didn't set the bar very high.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Avulsion posted:

The captain's henchman is a clone of Ochiai that they made after they killed the original and found out that all his research notes were locked with his brain pattern or something. He's Ochiai's body without the evil megalomaniacal personality. Meanwhile the personality is running around taking over people's bodies with those brain worm things.

Right, I just wasn't sure if he'd become/been allowed to become himself again after getting unleashed. Several of his scenes did seem to suggest that.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Avulsion posted:

The animation can be a bit iffy at times but overall I think it worked pretty well, especially for the space battles.

What really stood out for me was the incredible sound design. It's just so drat loud it adds a feeling of weight and substance to everything from frantic battles to a simple flyby of Sidonia. If you haven't watched this show with a nice set of headphones and the volume cranked up to "permanent hearing loss" you are missing out.

Yeah, the sound design is absolutely fantastic at selling what exactly each weird sci-fi thing you're seeing is made of and exactly how ludicrously powerful it is. Not to mention the VFX on stuff like the Graviton Beam Emitter are absolutely stunning. I want to see that moon get vaporised in IMAX.

Any time a weird, futuristic thing is on screen this show is incredible. Then it switches back to relationship drama with stiff, plastic, inexpressive character models and I just kind of zone out and look at the pretty background art.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Could someone please give me a highlighter of the key points of Season 1 because I started watching Season 2 and I have no clue what the gently caress is going on.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

SalTheBard posted:

Could someone please give me a highlighter of the key points of Season 1 because I started watching Season 2 and I have no clue what the gently caress is going on.

Season 1 comes before Season 2 and explains everything and looks really cool.

tl;dw: Indestructible aliens destroy the earth and most of the human race. A thousand years later Sidonia is the last human colony ship wandering around in space, it's been a hundred years since they were last attacked by aliens and they've gotten complacent. They find this weird kid in the bowels of the ship who was raised by his crazy hermit grandfather on a steady diet of videogames and combat simulators. Aliens show up and gently caress up their poo poo. All of Sidonia's ace pilots panic and die in their first real fight. Weird kid doesn't panic, kills aliens, becomes hero. Weird kid's girlfriend gets eaten by aliens, turned into boss level alien ace. Aliens hurl small planetoid covered in tentacles at Sidonia. Giant robots sent to clear off the tentacles so Sidonia can blow up the planetoid with a mile long planet buster missile. Dead Alien Girlfriend kills most of the robot pilots, weird kid duels Dead Alien Girlfriend while surviving pilots fly inside the death star planetoid and blow up the reactor core true body. Everything looks and sounds really loving awesome and you should just watch it instead of reading about it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Avulsion posted:

Season 1 comes before Season 2 and explains everything and looks really cool.

tl;dw: Indestructible aliens destroy the earth and most of the human race. A thousand years later Sidonia is the last human colony ship wandering around in space, it's been a hundred years since they were last attacked by aliens and they've gotten complacent. They find this weird kid in the bowels of the ship who was raised by his crazy hermit grandfather on a steady diet of videogames and combat simulators. Aliens show up and gently caress up their poo poo. All of Sidonia's ace pilots panic and die in their first real fight. Weird kid doesn't panic, kills aliens, becomes hero. Weird kid's girlfriend gets eaten by aliens, turned into boss level alien ace. Aliens hurl small planetoid covered in tentacles at Sidonia. Giant robots sent to clear off the tentacles so Sidonia can blow up the planetoid with a mile long planet buster missile. Dead Alien Girlfriend kills most of the robot pilots, weird kid duels Dead Alien Girlfriend while surviving pilots fly inside the death star planetoid and blow up the reactor core true body. Everything looks and sounds really loving awesome and you should just watch it instead of reading about it.

I watched Season 1 last year when it came out, but I couldn't really remember much. Thank you for the recap!

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I finished S2, wasn't as riveting as S1 but enjoyable overall. S2 felt more 'anime' than S1.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well, poo poo. I finished it. Production values have ruined other anime for me. And season 2 JUST came out. Season 3 is going to take FOREVER.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Just finishing off season 2 now, episode 11 was so, so good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just binged the entire season, season two had maximum tsundere scenes but in a good way. I haven't seen a show use this degree of physical harm as comedy in quite a long time.

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Just finished season 2 as well. Really enjoying this show. It's going to be a long wait for season 3. Couple things I didn't quite follw... didn't Kunato's sister get her head chopped off? How is she still alive?

Also, for the pilot of Tsumugi Is the pilot actually inside Tsumugi? If so, how come Kunato didn't get injured when she got wrecked by the Higgs blast? The pilot doesn't seem to actually do anything either since she is autonomous.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Superglue.

Crumple Zones.

Failsafe Mechanism.

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008
Good cosmetic surgery, and who cares if the brain died: the nematode is probably driving the body around like a mech. I think Kunato mentions, internally, that he doesn't want to use a nematode on Izana's grandmother because he needs her scientific ability, and once you go brain nematode, there's nothing left of the original mind.

Tsumugi converted most of her mass into some kind of lens thing to deflect the beam as it passed through, so no explosion, but all that mass burned up and she 'shut down' to regenerate. As for Kunato inside, they have gravity generators on the Sidonia to counter some amount of accelerating, they could conceivably have similar, but more locally effective versions on their frames (and grown into Tsumugi) to reduce the forces from maneuvering or crashing into things, though in the higgs beam deflection there's little-to-no blast, so he's just stuck.

Tsumugi's pilot is there to theoretically keep her from repeating what happened 100 years ago, which was apparently caused by chimera from one of Ochiai's experiments. It's not spelled out what exactly they can do, but it's probably something you can't undo, like the nematode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I've been binging on this (I've never been heavy into anime but someone posted a picture of the Sidonia made in Space Engineers so I got interested). Besides the standard "everyone is too ashamed to admit their feelings and would rather blush and look away" it's really good. The sound is probably the best, when the big gently caress-off cannon fired you could almost feel it.

One thing I kind of say "duh" to myself about the captain's mask being A way to hide that she's been the same person forever. I just assumed it was some kind of cool way of making the captain look totally emotionless during stressful situations so's not to affect the crew.

• Locked thread