Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

This first episode felt really rushed - like it should've been a two parter with the first part being Tanizake's escape from the underground and discovering the surface, and the second being introducing the case and his recruitment as a Guardian pilot.

Overall it felt like someone was reciting the story of the manga, rather than telling the story outright. It had no room to breathe or set up the atmosphere, instead just rushing from character to character before we even have a reason to care who any of these people are. I mean, I've read the manga and I still feel like I didn't have enough time to learn who the characters are or what their deal was.

I feel like the characters should have started out almost incidentally to the setting and atmosphere, in which case this amount of characterization would make sense, but they were the focus of everything instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

It does get much better after the best girl in manga gets introduced. You'll know who I mean when you meet her.

Absolutely.

This episode had some great visuals (namely everything do do with the Heavy Mass cannon) but it's still pretty unfocused. I'd love to see how they pull off the part you're referring to though.

It also feels weird that Izana, who seemed pretty popular in the first episode, has suddenly become lost all semblance of a social life and is now only friends with Nagate. The romantic setup behind it is kind of obvious, and I suppose it's pretty similar to how the manga did it but it feels a lot more sudden and forced when squashed into this series' rapid pacing. Also the fact they keep trying to find common ground but they don't really have any aside from being on the same team.

Actually what it most likely is is that they want to get to the mech fights and fanservice as soon as possible before everyone's put off by the weird setting.

Pyradox fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 20, 2014

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

That's probably because the 100 sights are just coloured manga panels - they weren't re-rendered for the anime so they naturally look grittier.

But yeah, I just tell people apart by their hairstyles at this point - the fact everyone wears uniforms really doesn't help.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, I had my reservations about the pacing and direction early on, but the series really seems to have hit its stride.

I'm also really liking the contrasts they're showing between Yuhuta and the Captain's strategic approaches. They've both got similar attitudes, but Yuhuta seems to be making use of her resources significantly better in order to avoid the kind of casualties the Captain incurred earlier.

It's also interesting to see Izana actually having reservations about being a pilot despite usually being completely gung-ho about everything. I'll have to re-read this section of the manga, but I feel like everyone is actually getting some more characterization than they did there.

Well, not Tanikaze - he's still as much of a cardboard cutout as he ever was and seems to just be repeating the same interactions over and over. How many times has the Captain asked him to defend Sidonia at this point? She keeps asking but I don't ever get the sense he was having second thoughts. Or really any thoughts at all on the matter.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Avulsion posted:

The animation can be a bit iffy at times but overall I think it worked pretty well, especially for the space battles.

What really stood out for me was the incredible sound design. It's just so drat loud it adds a feeling of weight and substance to everything from frantic battles to a simple flyby of Sidonia. If you haven't watched this show with a nice set of headphones and the volume cranked up to "permanent hearing loss" you are missing out.

Yeah, the sound design is absolutely fantastic at selling what exactly each weird sci-fi thing you're seeing is made of and exactly how ludicrously powerful it is. Not to mention the VFX on stuff like the Graviton Beam Emitter are absolutely stunning. I want to see that moon get vaporised in IMAX.

Any time a weird, futuristic thing is on screen this show is incredible. Then it switches back to relationship drama with stiff, plastic, inexpressive character models and I just kind of zone out and look at the pretty background art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, the romantic subplot in this show is something that really drags it down.

I do love looking at what a slice of life in Sidonia actually is, I just wish I didn't have to see it through the lens of Tanikaze's boring dates.

I can forgive a lot of dumb stuff for an interesting sci-fi universe, but the romance subplot just has nothing going for it.

I would recommend powering through it overall, but I can't tell you the romance ever becomes worth watching.

• Locked thread